Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Keyzer wrote: »
    Did you actually read this article? Truthfully? Marginal tax rates mean nothing, it states this in the document.

Page 2:

Headline tax rates do not equal actual tax paid. Any move to raise the threshold at which the 41% income tax rate applies would lower the actual amount of tax paid even further than is already the case, which would imperil Ireland’s ability to provide public services, social transfers and public
    investment.

A single person on €32,800 has a ‘marginal tax rate’ of 31% (income tax 20%, USC 7% and PRSI 4%) but pays no more than 18.9% of his or her gross income in taxes.

A single person on €33,800 has a ‘marginal tax rate’ of 52% (income tax 41%, USC 7% and PRSI 4%) but pays no more than 19.8% of his or her gross income in taxes.

In other words, what matters is the effective tax rate as a percentage of gross income, not headline or marginal rates.

Make sure you add 10.75% employer's PRSI too when looking at the astronomical tax take on a decent income & the pathetic services one gets for them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Fanny **** wrote: »
    Make sure you add 10.75% employer's PRSI too when looking at the astronomical tax take on a decent income & the pathetic services one gets for them

Employer or employee? If employer, that's a completely different discussion.

Employer or employee? If employer, that's a completely different discussion.

Employer's - my point is merely the govt takes an astronomical amount per 100 euro earned by an employee on a half decent income

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭dubrov

In other words, what matters is the effective tax rate as a percentage of gross income, not headline or marginal rates.[/I]

That's not completely true. The marginal rate matters when considering additional work.

E.g. If someone was on 30k and offered 10k of extra work. The decision might be different if the tax on that additional 10k is 50% or 20%.

I know loads of people who aren't bothered pushing for promotions as when you factor in tax, the additional effort and stress just isn't worth it.

dubrov wrote: »
    I know loads of people who aren't bothered pushing for promotions as when you factor in tax, the additional effort and stress just isn't worth it.

Similarly I know people who've gone into a 4 day week, "purchase" additional holidays etc as marginal rates mean it doesn't cost them as much as they'd first thought

A lot of employment surveys show people now value flexibility, holidays etc when thinking about employment these days - IMO ridiculous marginal rates are the main factor

In any case, regardless of what level it kicks in, a tax rate where the govt gets more of an extra euro earned than the worker is simply ludicrous IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭wench

That's not completely true. The marginal rate matters when considering additional work.

E.g. If someone was on 30k and offered 10k of extra work. The decision might be different if the tax on that additional 10k is 50% or 20%.

Exactly, if half your overtime goes in taxes, it isn't much consolation that your effective tax rate hasn't changed much.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Raven_k42

Wow. Some very angry winners in here today

The tax on the additional 10K is not 50% for jaysis sake - above the threshold its 40%.

If your on 30K - your total deductions (tax, usc and prsi) is 15.24%
    If your on 40K - your total deductions (tax, usc and prsi) is 21%

You are not paying 50% tax....

The more you earn, the more tax you pay - that's the same in nearly every country in the developed world.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Jasper79

The tax on the additional 10K is not 50% for jaysis sake - above the threshold its 40%.

If your on 30K - your total deductions (tax, usc and prsi) is 15.24%
    If your on 40K - your total deductions (tax, usc and prsi) is 21%

You are not paying 50% tax....

The more you earn, the more tax you pay - that's the same in nearly every country in the developed world.

yes but if on 40k and earn a 10k promotion, on that 10k extra you will pay almost 50% tax

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Jasper79 wrote: »
    yes but if on 40k and earn a 10k promotion, on that 10k extra you will pay almost 50% tax

And on your new salary of 50K how much tax do you pay?

25.8% incl. USC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Lads you are just arguing past each other. Yes, the overall or effective tax rate on the entire salary is still much lower than 50%, but also, yes, the tax paid on the extra 1K or 5K or whatever does come out at 50%+ of that 1K or 5K when it takes the overall salary above a certain threshold.

osarusan wrote: »
    Lads you are just arguing past each other. Yes, the overall or effective tax rate on the entire salary is still much lower than 50%, but also, yes, the tax paid on the extra 1K or 5K or whatever does come out at 50%+ of that 1K or 5K when it takes the overall salary above a certain threshold.

There's a poster - spouting numerous times a day that the working poor in Dublin (folk on <35k pa) pay FIFTY % tax but never backs it up. This has all spouted from those posts.

Since that argument has been dismantled, the argument then changed to what % is deducted from overtime.

The truth is, in order to pay more than 50% overall tax on your income, you need to be on about €750,000 a year.

I personally am nowhere near that, - on my own income I pay about 28% overall, which is fine by me - well, it would be even finer, if it was spent well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

will put my hand up and speak as a FG supporter all my life and will continue to do so. A part of me will be glad to see SF now try to fulfill the promises they have been making for years. They are already claiming credit for the "repeal the 8th" and the "marriage ref" also are promising they will build 20,000 homes which FG have already promised and began. But my biggest worry is how SF will complete the negotiations for brexit!!! scary stuff with some of their candidates shouting Tiocfaidh ar la- translation "our day will come" later he said he was talking about the past. funny guy

There's a poster - spouting numerous times a day that the working poor in Dublin (folk on <35k pa) pay FIFTY % tax but never backs it up. This has all spouted from those posts.

Since that argument has been dismantled, the argument then changed to what % is deducted from overtime.

The truth is, in order to pay more than 50% overall tax on your income, you need to be on about €750,000 a year.

I personally am nowhere near that, - on my own income I pay about 28% overall, which is fine by me - well, it would be even finer, if it was spent well.

Exactly.

Earn more, pay more.

SF voters surely agree with this. Right?

Last year the govt took over 40% of my income. Had I not made pension contributions it would have been more. The irony is when I retire the govt will probably have stolen from my fund (again) or I'll not get a state pension which I'm told is why I pay so much prsi. They also charged 10.75% employers PRSI.

I'm not fine with that

We've been told for years we better stick with FF/FG as the left wing boogeymen will
    - tax us all to death
    - despite this provide rubbish services
    - bankrupt the country

Those threats sound very hollow now

That's why people decided to take a chance re rejecting the duopoly of FF/FG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Raven_k42 wrote: »
    Wow. Some very angry winners in here today

The panic here is amazing :D
    The Sinn Fein supporters know that the very minute that they enter government will be the start of the downward spiral.
    FG please come back and help us - I never thought that it would start so early given the vitriol that was spouted in the last month from Yurt, Matt etc.

Last year the govt took over 40% of my income. Had I not made pension contributions it would have been more. The irony is when I retire the govt will probably have stolen from my fund (again) or I'll not get a state pension which I'm told is why I pay so much prsi. They also charged 10.75% employers PRSI.

I'm not fine with that

We've been told for years we better stick with FF/FG as the left wing boogeymen will
    - tax us all to death
    - bankrupt the country

I don't disagree with the above, and I also have respect for your opinion and the opinion of that of the electorate!

Only reason I was posting in here was to call out lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

JamesM wrote: »
    The panic here is amazing :D
    The Sinn Fein supporters know that the very minute that they enter government will be the start of the downward spiral.
    FG please come back and help us - I never thought that it would start so early given the vitriol that was spouted in the last month from Yurt, Matt etc.

Except no one said that. Merely loving the ironing of FG declaring themselves the opposition when the coalition dance partner process just begun and they are a viable junior partner. After spending years decrying the politics of protest and accusing others of running from government

Vitriol? You must be a delicate sort

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Such discontent among the SF supporters that FG won't go into government. I'd be half afraid they would start another armed campaign - Firstly get the Fine Gaelers into government and then maybe get the Brits out of Ireland! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

satguy wrote: »
    It seems FG will be very happy to just sit on their hands for 5 years. Would FG voters be happy with this, as it means all those FG votes mean nothing, and do nothing.

Having been in power for 9 years, they did nothing, people have no homes, people still on trollies.

FG may have given some of their rich buddies some tax breaks.

But other than that, they did what FG do best, are their poor hands not numb by now.

We’ve 100% employment. I know that means nothing to some people, and is even a source of embarrassment but it’s actually quite impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭piplip87

It seems FG will be very happy to just sit on their hands for 5 years. Would FG voters be happy with this, as it means all those FG votes mean nothing, and do nothing.

Having been in power for 9 years, they did nothing, people have no homes, people still on trollies.

FG may have given some of their rich buddies some tax breaks.

But other than that, they did what FG do best, are their poor hands not numb by now.

Well in fairness SF have sat on their hands for the last 40 years or so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

splinter65 wrote: »
    We’ve 100% employment. I know that means nothing to some people, and is even a source of embarrassment but it’s actually quite impressive.

100% employment - I don't think so - Yurt is on here most of the day :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

JamesM wrote: »
    100% employment - I don't think so - Yurt is on here most of the day :(

There's a big blue thing called planet earth, and on this earth there are places that are close, and places that may be faaaaaaar away from you. In the far away places, the time of day is different to where you are and people go to work when you are tucked up in your little cot.

Thank you for your attention. Maybe you can ask your mammy for a globe your next birthday so you learn more about how time around the world works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭satguy

Labour to bow out of the left alliance, but still hope to get the pension age up to 68, but only for poor people.

Brendan Howlin just wants to sit next to Leo for a few years, more hand sitting, more votes wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Labour to bow out of the left alliance, but still hope to get the pension age up to 68, but only for poor people.

Brendan Howlin just wants to sit next to Leo for a few years, more hand sitting, more votes wasted.

Every other country is raising the pension age. Even that won’t be enough. People are living to ages considered remarkable when the pension was set at 65. And healthcare outcomes are only going to get better. This is going to become a pan-European crisis in less than 10 years.

If you aren’t a pensioner yourself then you should be actively campaigning to raise the pension age. Not because you’ll be getting a state pension yourself, but because the spend could be better used in solving the myriad of other issues that require money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭satguy

Every other country is raising the pension age. Even that won’t be enough. People are living to ages considered remarkable when the pension was set at 65. And healthcare outcomes are only going to get better. This is going to become a pan-European crisis in less than 10 years.

If you aren’t a pensioner yourself then you should be actively campaigning to raise the pension age. Not because you’ll be getting a state pension yourself, but because the spend could be better used in solving the myriad of other issues that require money.

35 years stamps paid in,, I want my pension at 65 thank you very much.

BTW,, am still paying stamps..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

35 years stamps paid in,, I want my pension at 65 thank you very much.

BTW,, am still paying stamps..

And those stamps you paid are being used to pay for the pensions of our current tranche of pensioners. The problem is those pensioners aren't dying at 68 or 69. They are living well into their 80's, and going down to the post office to collect it. As they are entitled to.

There won't be anything much left for you though, unless you invested in a private pension. That's why increasing the pension age and not increasing the pension rate is sound policy. It's terribly unpopular as a concept though. A political time bomb like we won't have faced before.

That isn't a shot at you though, or scaremongering. Economists have been saying this for almost 20 years now. Ireland is better placed than most to kick this can down the road as we still have a relatively young population. It's coming though. 10 years at most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

And those stamps you paid are being used to pay for the pensions of our current tranche of pensioners. The problem is those pensioners aren't dying at 68 or 69. They are living well into their 80's, and going down to the post office to collect it. As they are entitled to.

There won't be anything much left for you though, unless you invested in a private pension. That's why increasing the pension age and not increasing the pension rate is sound policy. It's terribly unpopular as a concept though. A political time bomb like we won't have faced before.

That isn't a shot at you though, or scaremongering. Economists have been saying this for almost 20 years now. Ireland is better placed than most to kick this can down the road as we still have a relatively young population. It's coming though. 10 years at most.

If you pay into a private pension , that's not guaranteed either as FG's Michael Noonan dipped his hand in and took hundreds of millions of private pension funds against the wishes and advice of the Troika.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I'm not fine with that

- tax us all to death
    - bankrupt the country

yes, this hits the nail on the head. Its why I voted SF, I dont own a house, rent in dublin. Get nothing back from FG, rewarding the early risers? LOL! But they support outrageous property prices, which screws people! Wow its so hard to figure out where the FG voters went after nine years of being lied too

Also reducing the pension age is idiocy, but its no more idiotic than leaving it as it is and increasing the OAP every year by five euro, for the next five years, as FF proposed. I dont buy the attacks on SF and prudence, I mean if I were FFG I would try to plant the same seed, but they just want to spend the money in different ways. SF have to form a coalition and our budgets are vetted by the EU. If the regulator does his job, there is nowhere near as much to fear , as is being made out. People want to use fear as a form of control though...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Necro wrote: »
    Ah lighten up Matt, ye will be scurrying back to the opposition benches in a few years at the most, enjoy your popularity while it lasts

With great power comes great responsibility

Heavy hangs the crown

;)

I thought the FG brethern were bad sports in office, well f*** me :rolleyes:
    I'm grand chief.
    Delighted FG are out :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement