Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestlemania 2020 - Spoilers, rumours, etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭ThePott

You can't have the likes of Edge, Undertaker and Goldberg wrestle on a WWE show and not have it be called Wrestlemania in 2020.
    I understand your point but whatever you call it people will always know it was meant to be Mania, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. In years to come you want to say these moments were made at Wrestlemania.

Fans will film reactions on social media and lose their sh1t and WWE will cut them into video packages and they can make it look decent. It's obviously not ideal but it is the superior option in my opinion to postponing or cancelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

• Registered Users Posts: 37,814 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

As odd as it is you have to appreciate WWEs way of putting these events on and giving a little destraction from all the doom and gloom around

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

ThePott wrote: »
    You can't have the likes of Edge, Undertaker and Goldberg wrestle on a WWE show and not have it be called Wrestlemania in 2020.

I'm sure the Saudis could come up with an alternative name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭ThePott

briany wrote: »
    I'm sure the Saudis could come up with an alternative name.
    Fair point, I mean of course money talks but even still, I don't think if Edge was coming back for a run that they'd begin it in KSA. That's a 'Mania' moment and if you want to refer to it over and over again then maybe don't do it on a show you're determined not to remind people about. The Saudi shows are practically non-canon. It's not like people ever acknowledge half the stuff that happens on those shows. That's just money for old rope for WWE.

Again I know, I'm probably in the minority with my opinion. The fact it will be filmed in multiple locations makes me think it will be bigger than people think too. At least they're doing something different and playing into the weirdness of it. Wrestlemania has to be an event and even without an audience they have plenty of tools and time at their disposal to make this a big and talked about event especially when there are few alternatives right now.

Trust me, watch the revisionist history in a couple of years when this goes ahead in a few years and WWE talk about it.

• Advertisement

With the rumours that they were selling mania and other stuff I wonder is it 2 nights one on USA and one on fox as with the virus and nothing on sport wise they may jump at the chance and pay wwe millions to have it on tv

Considering the (reasonably high) risk of a rassler catching the virus and, as a result, knocking everyone into isolation, I'd have assumed a better approach would have been to have started pre-recording the next few weekly shows, and mania itself, by now.

Get the wrestlers to bust their humps for a week, this week. Record all the upcoming, necessary footage for the raw/sd!/mania cards, and then let everyone off for the time being. Pay them for the shows they've pre-recorded as though they were live shows and reconvene afterwards. To avoid losing their TV deals, they could get the production team to whip up a 'best of' kind of show each week, or play a DVD from the Network or the likes, to keep content out there.

At least this way, with everything already recorded, if Edge or Taker or whatever get confirmed for having the virus, the shows can still proceed as planned on their respective dates.

Just keep the personnel at the arena to the bare minimum, and only trusted people, so there's less chance of results getting out in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

PTH2009 wrote: »
    As odd as it is you have to appreciate WWEs way of putting these events on and giving a little destraction from all the doom and gloom around

Seriously?

They are a business, and they are doing this to continue making money.

In the process, they are disregarding the advice of all medical professionals in terms of social distancing, thus endangering their wrestlers and by proxy those who know/come across them.

What is to be admired or appreciated exactly?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Monokne wrote: »
    Seriously?

They are a business, and they are doing this to continue making money.

In the process, they are disregarding the advice of all medical professionals in terms of social distancing, thus endangering their wrestlers and by proxy those who know/come across them.

What is to be admired or appreciated exactly?

Woah easy tiger, they're not the only company to disregard the advise of their governments, I'm working for one such government. Sure AEW is still trucking away too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Two nights is something Mania should have been doing anyway. Incorporate Takeover into it, and rather than an 8 hour show, do 2 four hour ones.

Multiple locations could actually be fun as well. Set them not just in arenas but different sets.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Per WWE.com

Saturday (April 4th)
    * WWE Championship Match: Drew McIntyre vs. Brock Lesnar
    * NXT Women’s Championship Match: Charlotte Flair vs. Rhea Ripley
    * The Undertaker vs. AJ Styles
    * Kevin Owens vs. Seth Rollins

Sunday (April 5th)
    * WWE Universal Championship Match: Roman Reigns vs. Bill Goldberg
    * RAW Women’s Championship Match: Shayna Baszler vs. Becky Lynch
    * John Cena vs. “The Fiend” Bray Wyatt

• Registered Users Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

**** pheasant gets another Mania main event.

It really should be Brock and Drew. The bigger and better show and more prestigious title, hotter feud, possibility of a much better match.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

The one thing that could've made Goldberg-Reigns interesting was the crowd reaction

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

J. Marston wrote: »
    **** pheasant gets another Mania main event.

It really should be Brock and Drew. The bigger and better show and more prestigious title, hotter feud, possibility of a much better match.

Is that not Main Eventing the Sat night Mania?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Sure the 2 day mania is probably so they can limit the amount of people in the PC to the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Is that all the matches that had been announced so far?

So no smackdown women's title and no tag titles.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Is that all the matches that had been announced so far?

So no smackdown women's title and no tag titles.

I imagine that's only the top tier matches. I imagine there will be some undercard matches too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,342 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Edge vs. Orton will surely slot in on the Sunday night to balance things out. I actually quite like the card on paper, I’d rather if everything just stopped for as long as necessary to contain the virus and make a proper show of this when that time comes, but it seems they’re pushing ahead and ignoring the experts on this.

I’d hope to say that I’ll boycott it like the Saudi shows because of how irresponsible they’re being, but honestly I’m so bored at home that I’ll probably tune in anyway. There’s absolutely nothing “admirable” or such about what they’re doing here though, IMO.

Loughc wrote: »
    Woah easy tiger, they're not the only company to disregard the advise of their governments, I'm working for one such government. Sure AEW is still trucking away too.

AEW deserves just as much criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Monokne wrote: »
    AEW deserves just as much criticism.

Try saying that on Reddit. Oh, it does not go down well.

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »
    Try saying that on Reddit. Oh, it does not go down well.

Or in here :pac:

Taping Mania is the only way they can get it done. They can't wait another 3 weeks and hope their performers and staff avoid the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Sunday will need to be padded out a bit. Can't see the Goldberg or Cena matches going too long

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Sunday will need to be padded out a bit. Can't see the Goldberg or Cena matches going too long

It's ok they can eat up time with all the usual long entranc...oh wait, they only have 10 feet to walk. Never mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I mean fair enough the WWE want to go ahead with wrestle mania and if it was any other event you can be damn sure vince would cancel it. WWE are where the NBA are when they planned to keep going and then a player tested positive and that was that. WWE need to pray that nobody involved with the PC shows tests positive because then it's game over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

I can’t believe Wrestlmania is going ahead with no fans in attendance. I’m not sure if I’ve heard anything this ludicrous before... I’ve not seen raw or smack down without a crowd but I presume it’s terrible?

Rock77 wrote: »
    I’ve not seen raw or smack down without a crowd but I presume it’s terrible?

It really is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

On one side it would be easy to stop. Maybe they are trying to keep money rolling.

Do Numbers suggest those who watch the network don't bother with archives, only interested in current product and they fear cancellations?

Keeping current shows going may help them move produced merch for mania season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,310 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Bobby Roode is in Canada and there is a travel ban also reading Brock is in home Canadian home.

https://twitter.com/RealRobertRoode/status/1240736619516362753?s=20

Advertisement