Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestlemania 2020 - Spoilers, rumours, etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I think WWE will knock this out of the park. Generally when back up against the wall they deliver. Look whem they got stranded for Smackdown. Honestly feel if the writers, agents and workers are as creative as they are said to be, and being held back by Vince, their ideas may be more receptacle then ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Sirsok wrote: »
    I think WWE will knock this out of the park. Generally when back up against the wall they deliver. Look whem they got stranded for Smackdown. Honestly feel if the writers, agents and workers are as creative as they are said to be, and being held back by Vince, their ideas may be more receptacle then ever.
    This could work but only if Vince keeps that trigger happy finger at bay. This is going to be a show built upon people's creativity above all else.

Still....it feels like a stay of execution for the show. If one person tests positive in the meantime then they're ****ed.

Pentecost wrote: »
    We're going to play it all out via WWE2K20 folks with your favourite superstars playing as themselves as they self isolate.

That'd actually be deadly haha

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Knowing Vince and WWE they will do things to try make up for the fact its in the PC. However Im struggling to think of anything that will save this show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭ThePott

cena wrote: »
    is there many from here that were going to mania
    I was going. I know at least two other people from here are planning on going. Trying to chase down refunds for stuff now as well as I can. Most places are saying don't contact unless it's 7 days from your trip. Probably won't get hotel money back. It is what is unfortunately.

I still think people calling for postponing are wrong. We don't know how long this will last for and they would either have to drag stories out till then or build an entirely new card. Best bet imo is do this 'Mania' and then go off air for a bit, treat it as a season finale. Pre-recording has some benefits if they go that route.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

I can't see anything big happening at Mania. They will probably have a screwy finish where Lesnar retains.
    Save the big Drew coronation for in front of a crowd at Summerslam (hopefully) or Survivor Series (dear God)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Bright side is we won't get constant crowd shots, though we got a few last night during Austin's bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,814 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

This is going to be either fun or a disaster

Goldberg and takers age could deff show

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Lads, seriously, are we all living in a bubble here?

Last Thursday the Premier League were planning on playing on.

By Sunday, 7 teams have players or staff with Coronavirus and thus entire squads and staff in isolation. The other 13 teams are in isolation as a precaution.

Are ye all actually thinking WWE performers and staff who are literally coming from all corners of the States & the World are just exempt?

Some will get it. The rest will have to isolate. This is literally the world we live in now.

Front Row Brian is reporting that the PC show is probably not happening. Announcing it is a means of showing to their insurers they tried all recourse before it was cancelled, thus allowing them to claim. This is also something Bryan Alvarez has alluded to.

It makes the most sense. As previously noted, there is no way this show is actually happening. WWE will cease producing live wrestling within 14 days at a maximum, I would think more likely 7.

ETUTzTmWkDAOgHL?format=png&name=small

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Fair play to Vince and the WWE for at least trying, and hopefully they pull it off.

In this horrible time people need all the entertainment they can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,342 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Can’t see NYC being in a position to host such an event on June 7th tbh, unless it’s June 7th 2021. Hope to be proven wrong on that but things will probably get an awful lot worse before they begin to improve, and attending a pro-wrestling show of any scale will likely be the last thing on anyone’s mind when this peaks (and that peak is projected in early May for the state of New York according to their governor).

They’ll probably end up booking it anyway, but I certainly don’t expect it to go ahead this June.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Knowing Vince and WWE they will do things to try make up for the fact its in the PC. However Im struggling to think of anything that will save this show.

HHH on commentary maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

HLA?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭cena

I tried to watch raw highlights this morning. It really don't do anything for me having no people there. I may have to give Mania a miss this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

It’s so eerily empty sounding wrestling with no audience... If I was them I’d whack some music on top of the commentary like the old wrestling games to make it less dead sounding

ricero wrote: »
    Fair play to Vince and the WWE for at least trying, and hopefully they pull it off.

In this horrible time people need all the entertainment they can get.

Even if it means the disease is inevitably going to spread amongst their performers who sweatily touch each other, and then take whatever they get with them out into the world. Do people need entertainment THAT badly?

Also, I can't hack framing Vince in this benevolent manner - Vince is doing this to fulfil television contracts and get the cheques that come with it, the same reason he insisted on going to Saudi Arabia weeks after a journalist was very publicly hacked into pieces for speaking ill of the man supplying Vince with all those blood millions.

He is risking his performers health and ensuring this disease spreads quicker than it should, because there is one thing with value in the world to Vince McMahon - money.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Roman's immune system after cancer would make him a high risk case, any other wrestlers with known illnesses

• Registered Users Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Yeah, if I were Roman I would be telling Vince "Siya in 3-4 months".

Could we see Summerslam being a bigger event

Rumours the HOF ceremony will be held thay weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Where is summerslam on this year?

Where is summerslam on this year?

TD Garden Boston

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

PTH2009 wrote: »
    TD Garden Boston

Not sure the world will be sorted by then but if it is you may get a good deal given the current climate

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

The best thing for WWE to do would surely be to postpone the event and adopt a 'wait and see' approach as to when it can be held again.

Like, what's WWE's plan going forward, here? To keep on holding empty arena Smackdowns and RAWs? It just doesn't work. I don't really watch the WWE product anymore (or much of any current wrestling), but I had to have a look at the latest Smackdown out of curiosity, and it was one of the weirder things I have seen in wrestling. Not so much weird because of the empty arena, as I've seen an empty arena match or two, but more because the code of presentation is so apparently ridged that the performers were still playing it as if there was a crowd there. That felt quite strange indeed.

The thing to do would be to let the WWE roster stay at home for the time being, be with their families and rehab their injuries. Have them on a reduced payment if need be. I think everybody has to be understanding, here, the WWE, their networks and its sponsors, that live sports just don't work without a crowd.

Well that all makes sense, but you're forgetting one thing:

Vince.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Vince is a lunatic. He never accepts defeat, even when its a global pandemic he refuses to stare at the lights. I admire his irrational stubborness yet its plain to see the man is completely in his own bubble mentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Splitting the matches over 2 matches so don’t have too many people in the pc

Or Vince is absolutely insane as we all know

• Registered Users Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭ThePott

I disagree with a lot of people here about the approach to this.
    If you postpone this, who knows how long for? You get this out of the way and then don't start many new angles and lie low till the whole thing is over. IF you postpone this you're killing the momentum of so many stories. Including the likes of Edge's return to wrestling and Goldberg vs. Reigns.
    You totally screw your schedule if you postpone Mania. Wrestlemania is a brand it will draw regardless, especially at a time like this. You can say it won't feel like Mania, sure. But you bet your ass you'll watch it even if out of curiosity. Summerslam will be massive this year as a result.

It makes perfect sense to me, don't get me wrong there's plenty of health and safety reasons to cancel but there's also ways around it like pre-recording it. Two nights works too definitely to try avoid too many people being there.

• Advertisement

ThePott wrote: »
    I disagree with a lot of people here about the approach to this.
    If you postpone this, who knows how long for? You get this out of the way and then don't start many new angles and lie low till the whole thing is over. IF you postpone this you're killing the momentum of so many stories. Including the likes of Edge's return to wrestling and Goldberg vs. Reigns.
    You totally screw your schedule if you postpone Mania. Wrestlemania is a brand it will draw regardless, especially at a time like this. You can say it won't feel like Mania, sure. But you bet your ass you'll watch it even if out of curiosity. Summerslam will be massive this year as a result.

It makes perfect sense to me, don't get me wrong there's plenty of health and safety reasons to cancel but there's also ways around it like pre-recording it. Two nights works too definitely to try avoid too many people being there.

Why can't you do all the matches from the PC and not call it Wrestlemania, then still do the big stadium show in a couple months?

It is not Wrestlemania. It's matches in an empty warehouse without the spectacle or reaction that make up Wrestlemania. Imagine the Hardy return from 17 or Brock breaking the streak in 14 in an empty building???

It's all moot because performers and staff will have contracted the virus long beforehand.

Advertisement