Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Election 2020 - See MOD note in First Post

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DLS_75

Gardner wrote: »
    that's Eddie ****ed. all over social media. some bucko this guy has turned out to be. A scab to the independent voter and now tax evasion. Any evidence of screwing over local businesses?

DT did a fine job on Matt Shanahan's lies last week.

😂😂😂 are you in the Joe Kelly camp now butty

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Muttley79

As a self employed person I know the feeling keeping the wolves away from your door.esprcially the revenue,they show no mercy.pity they dont go after the big boys and the corporation's in this country (apple,Google tax).as self employed your putting your neck out there trying to better yourself and create employment.theres politicians out there worse in scamming the system.every week there's a scandal rolling out of the dail about some expense or another.i think Eddie will be ok.his a big following in the city vote for Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Gardner

DLS_75 wrote: »
    😂😂😂 are you in the Joe Kelly camp now butty

a former provo and against the health equality of woman? nah! :D

Muttley79 wrote: »
    As a self employed person I know the feeling keeping the wolves away from your door.esprcially the revenue,they show no mercy.pity they dont go after the big boys and the corporation's in this country (apple,Google tax).as self employed your putting your neck out there trying to better yourself and create employment.theres politicians out there worse in scamming the system.every week there's a scandal rolling out of the dail about some expense or another.i think Eddie will be ok.his a big following in the city vote for Waterford.

yet he was scamming the Revenue(us the taxpayer) just like those big multinationals you talk about :o

Gardner wrote: »
    a former provo and against the health equality of woman? nah! :D

Don’t forget anti-traveller - actually that might get him elected 😂

• Advertisement

DLS_75 wrote: »
    Don’t forget anti-traveller - actually that might get him elected 😂

you are correct. i read that last week. :eek: awful stuff. be lucky if he even gets 1500 votes. very lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Muttley79 wrote: »

Revenue have to write off tens of millions every year on amounts that are unpaid or settled.

However I think it's wrong to put tax evasion and tax avoidance together. One is illegal and one is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

hardybuck wrote: »
    Revenue have to write off tens of millions every year on amounts that are unpaid or settled.

However I think it's wrong to put tax evasion and tax avoidance together. One is illegal and one is not.

yet both are probably immoral

This will get worse as the media find more.

The business was insolvent from year one but traded for ten further years, during which losses and amounts owed to creditors grew.

At end 2011 the liabilities exceeded assets by almost €260k, however the company paid the Mulligans back amounts of €76,576 and €107,750 owed to them.

While the amount owed to Revenue was €189k they paid the partnership which owned the property they traded from €119k. Eddie was a partner of that partnership.

The amount owed to Revenue grew to €209k in 2012 when the amount owed to the Mulligans reduced to €12k.

The company, which was always insolvent, then stopped trading, replaced by a Phoenix company (one that emerges from the collapse of another). The liquidator advised the Office of the Director of Corporate Enforcement that the directors failed to respond to queries adequately and they're banned from being company directors until 2024.

He also has the issue with the finance of his home.

When you go for public office all of this stuff comes out for public scrutiny. It's not at all pleasant but this is the standard the public expects.

Another reason why I wouldn’t dream of running for office. 🙈

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

RTE podcast for their Waterford/South East feature, about 10 minutes. Haven't listened back myself yet.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/21694653

and what the student body at WIT thinks

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/21694505

some bull**** from mulligan currently on WLR. crying an all. some boyo!

"I thought I'd never have to visit this again" You're running for national office man!

At this point maybe it's dawning on him that he has to withdraw.

The man is delusional, naive or taking us for fools.

The dogs are circling alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gillman1998

This will get worse as the media find more.

The business was insolvent from year one but traded for ten further years, during which losses and amounts owed to creditors grew.

At end 2011 the liabilities exceeded assets by almost €260k, however the company paid the Mulligans back amounts of €76,576 and €107,750 owed to them.

While the amount owed to Revenue was €189k they paid the partnership which owned the property they traded from €119k. Eddie was a partner of that partnership.

The amount owed to Revenue grew to €209k in 2012 when the amount owed to the Mulligans reduced to €12k.

The company, which was always insolvent, then stopped trading, replaced by a Phoenix company (one that emerges from the collapse of another). The liquidator advised the Office of the Director of Corporate Enforcement that the directors failed to respond to queries adequately and they're banned from being company directors until 2024.

He also has the issue with the finance of his home.

When you go for public office all of this stuff comes out for public scrutiny. It's not at all pleasant but this is the standard the public expects.

Good analysis, thanks. It’s a shame, I like Eddie - we’ll see how it shakes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Eddie's leaflet came in the door at some point last week and he makes a BIG point of saying what a great business man he is to have survived the recession. When you read the article on the Irish Times, it's clear that his business was insolvent from the moment it began.

That being said, looks like they're trying to reprocess his home, so obviously a stressful time for him and he's probably put every single egg in the election basket.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/business-made-payments-to-fianna-f%C3%A1il-candidate-and-wife-as-revenue-debts-rose-1.4144755

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I think this is a real shame, I like Eddie in general, i have a lot of sympathy for anyone trying to run a business during the last recession and in general running their own business. I hope this doesnt torpedo his potential election, I think he would be a decent TD, preferable over a lot of the others.as previous poster said, see how this pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Max Powers wrote: »
    I think this is a real shame, I like Eddie in general, i have a lot of sympathy for anyone trying to run a business during the last recession and in general running their own business. I hope this doesnt torpedo his potential election, I think he would be a decent TD, preferable over a lot of the others.as previous poster said, see how this pans out.

I agree with you a little bit but the past business decisions were so so bad that they cannot be over looked.

I run a business that survived the recession. It was a pretty sh1t time and something that I hope does not happen again. I paid my tax before paying myself sometimes, Because bad things happen when revenue think your being a bold boy or girl. Dont buy a range rover instead of paying your bills might be a bit of advice to take away!

AdMMM wrote: »
    Eddie's leaflet came in the door at some point last week and he makes a BIG point of saying what a great business man he is to have survived the recession. When you read the article on the Irish Times, it's clear that his business was insolvent from the moment it began.

That being said, looks like they're trying to reprocess his home, so obviously a stressful time for him and he's probably put every single egg in the election basket.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/business-made-payments-to-fianna-f%C3%A1il-candidate-and-wife-as-revenue-debts-rose-1.4144755

I wonder did he think "TD salary and I'm home free" (if you'll excuse the play on words) if so that would be a poor reason to vote for him.

I wonder did he think "TD salary and I'm home free" (if you'll excuse the play on words) if so that would be a poor reason to vote for him.

Here’s what I don’t get. If you’re under that kind of financial pressure - why not get a job. A decent job of any description. He chose instead to be a councillor - 18k-24k a year. And he’s been at that since 2014. Madness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

I agree with you a little bit but the past business decisions were so so bad that they cannot be over looked.

I run a business that survived the recession. It was a pretty sh1t time and something that I hope does not happen again. I paid my tax before paying myself sometimes, Because bad things happen when revenue think your being a bold boy or girl. Dont buy a range rover instead of paying your rent might be a bit of advice to take away!

Kayak is this the controversy you were alluding to the other day?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

debok wrote: »
    Kayak is this the controversy you were alluding to the other day?

Some of it!

Eddie is an extremely hard worker, we all know this but you have to be open about your CV if you want people to invest in you and make decisions that will affect you.

Bizarre that Damien Tiernan put up a video of him essentially crying during the interview! Especially because presumably you'd expect there to have been a conversation around asking whether that could be put up...

https://twitter.com/damienwlr/status/1219238344439357442

• Registered Users Posts: 39,494 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Sunday Times Opinion poll results for Munster only

Ireland Elects
    @IrelandElects
    ·
    37s
    Sunday Times B&A POLL:

Munster

FF: 49%
    SF: 17%
    FG: 13%
    Lab: 4%
    Green: 1%
    SDs: 1%
    Ind/IA/Others: 15%

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

KevIRL wrote: »

Ireland Elects
    @IrelandElects
    ·
    37s
    Sunday Times B&A POLL:

Munster

:pac: :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,280 ✭✭✭jmcc

Ireland Elects
    @IrelandElects
    ·
    37s
    Sunday Times B&A POLL:

Munster

FGers and Bluebots everywhere are praying that the B&A poll is an outlier because if it isn't, FG faces a Labour style obliteration in Munster. It could even cost FG a seat in Waterford.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

AdMMM wrote: »
    Bizarre that Damien Tiernan put up a video of him essentially crying during the interview! Especially because presumably you'd expect there to have been a conversation around asking whether that could be put up...

https://twitter.com/damienwlr/status/1219238344439357442

Given that its a radio interview I have no reason to see why members of the public have to see him crying. Totally inexcusable

jmcc wrote: »
    FGers and Bluebots everywhere are praying that the B&A poll is an outlier because if it isn't, FG faces a Labour style obliteration in Munster. It could even cost FG a seat in Waterford.

Regards...jmcc

The B&A poll is apparently the most likely to experience large swings in results.

It was also done the day after the RIC commemoration debate arose, which gives an indication as to the strength of feeling towards that issue.

While it gives an indication that FF are currently a step ahead, which I think most people would agree that they are, nobody is for a second thinking that FG are only 1% ahead of SF nationally.

Opinions do tend to change during the campaigning. It'll be interesting what happens when the other parties start to launch their manifestos.

Ireland Elects
    @IrelandElects
    ·
    37s
    Sunday Times B&A POLL:

Munster

That would be massively influenced by the Cork stronghold of Fianna Fail,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gillman1998

The B&A poll is apparently the most likely to experience large swings in results.

It was also done the day after the RIC commemoration debate arose, which gives an indication as to the strength of feeling towards that issue.

While it gives an indication that FF are currently a step ahead, which I think most people would agree that they are, nobody is for a second thinking that FG are only 1% ahead of SF nationally.

Opinions do tend to change during the campaigning. It'll be interesting what happens when the other parties start to launch their manifestos.

There’s an Irish Times poll due at 10pm tonight which might shed some more light on the way people are thinking at the moment.

Advertisement