Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 2020 - See MOD note in First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

I agree with you a little bit but the past business decisions were so so bad that they cannot be over looked.

I run a business that survived the recession. It was a pretty sh1t time and something that I hope does not happen again. I paid my tax before paying myself sometimes, Because bad things happen when revenue think your being a bold boy or girl. Dont buy a range rover instead of paying your rent might be a bit of advice to take away!

Did you let go a lot of your long term staff and replace them with cheaper foreign workers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Quite, I'd want to see how weighted the polling was.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Muttley79

AdMMM wrote: »
    Bizarre that Damien Tiernan put up a video of him essentially crying during the interview! Especially because presumably you'd expect there to have been a conversation around asking whether that could be put up...

https://twitter.com/damienwlr/status/1219238344439357442

Damian is a bit hit and miss,his ok some days on radio and other days you would have to turn him off,I don’t know is he still the right person for that morning show.however there’s a time and a place shoving your camera phone at somebody as in eddies position this morning,it’s been stressful on him and his family without Damian plastering it all over social media.i personally thought its a cheap shot from Damian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Bad acting by Mulligan today looking for the sympathy vote. This is just the start of it I would imagine with a fair few more things to come out as another poster has said. Let's just say FF is the perfect party for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭jmcc

Quite, I'd want to see how weighted the polling was.
    There you go. :)

https://banda.ie/wp-content/uploads/J.1597-Sunday-Times-Jan-2020-Report.pdf

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DLS_75

Has anyone seen the type of attack made on Mulligan before? It’s very very dirty and I can’t remember seeing the like of it in Waterford before. Someone must really felt threatened by him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

DLS_75 wrote: »
    Has anyone seen the type of attack made on Mulligan before? It’s very very dirty and I can’t remember seeing the like of it in Waterford before. Someone must really felt threatened by him.

Can you clarify what you mean by an attack?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

hardybuck wrote: »
    Can you clarify what you mean by an attack?

I think he means reporting facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Damien Tiernan raised the notion of this being a leak, which was pure meeja carry on. The truth will out.

Bloody Hell! The B&A poll wasn't an outlier.

Irish Times/Ipsos MRBI (Jan 16-18, MoE 2.8%)
    Fianna Fáil 25 (no change in three months)
    Fine Gael 23 (-6)
    Sinn Féin 21 (+7)
    Greens 8
    Labour 5 (-1)
    Solidarity-PBP 2 (+1)
    SocDems 2 (+1)
    Inds4Change 1 (-1)
    Ind Alliance 1
    Others 3 (+1)
    Independents 10

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1219380001650434053

It is a 2.8% Margin of Error, bigger sample size and Ipsos/MRBI is one of the better pollsters.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

jmcc wrote:
    Bloody Hell! The B&A poll wasn't an outlier.

David mcwilliams reckons we could be looking at another confidence and supply, but with roles reversed, he could be right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

I like Eddie as a politician. But I really do think it's something he should have been more forthcoming about. It raises a lot of red flags for people.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    David mcwilliams reckons we could be looking at another confidence and supply, but with roles reversed, he could be right
    David McWilliams predicted 15 of the last 2 recessions.

The way things have gone with FG in the last two opinion polls, things are looking rather dire for FG and if the FG seat loss is high enough (I had initially expected an upper limit of 20 seats lost), the political landscape may be changed with SF gaining. The important thing is where the votes from all those younger voters will go and if they will, as expected, give the Greens a boost. This could even push the Greens across the 10 seats threshold. The age demographics from the Irish Times Ipsos/MRBI poll are terrifying for Labour because, if accurate, they show a party where support is dying. Its strongest support is in the 65 years plus demographic.

The Eddie Mulligan thing looks like dirty tricks. The problem is that it might backfire and cause people to rally around Mulligan. On the figures from the poll, even FG's seat in Waterford is in doubt. The pensions issue is destroying FG support quicker than the homelessness issue.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

jmcc wrote: »
    David McWilliams predicted 15 of the last 2 recessions.

The way things have gone with FG in the last two opinion polls, things are looking rather dire for FG and if the FG seat loss is high enough (I had initially expected an upper limit of 20 seats lost), the political landscape may be changed with SF gaining. The important thing is where the votes from all those younger voters will go and if they will, as expected, give the Greens a boost. This could even push the Greens across the 10 seats threshold. The age demographics from the Irish Times Ipsos/MRBI poll are terrifying for Labour because, if accurate, they show a party where support is dying. Its strongest support is in the 65 years plus demographic.

The Eddie Mulligan thing looks like dirty tricks. The problem is that it might backfire and cause people to rally around Mulligan. On the figures from the poll, even FG's seat in Waterford is in doubt. The pensions issue is destroying FG support quicker than the homelessness issue.

Regards...jmcc

i do think labour are in serous trouble, but i still expect ff and fg to be just fine, particularly ff, at a national level

Attack? Come off it. It was going to come out sooner or later and it's in the publics interest to know.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    i do think labour are in serous trouble, but i still expect ff and fg to be just fine, particularly ff, at a national level
    The FG vote is collapsing if the last two opinion polls are in anyway accurate. Because the voting system works on a single transferable vote, it could mean that FG's second and third seats in some constituencies are in doubt. If that happens, FG could be demolished as a party and FF could be heading to a seat total of between 60 to 67 seats. With the Greens doing well, it might be possible to form a coalition party with a majority. The Irish Time is trying to lie for Labour again and has an untitled graphic of leader satisfaction % but with a totally different article title dealing with the poll results rather than the leadership satisfaction. At a glance, it looks like Labour is on 17%. Very misleading!

RTE is trying to downplay the rise of SF by denying it a place in the leaders debate. There is serious panic amongst the low-lifes who consider themselves the "establishment" because this GE has the capability to change everything. The last GE that was held on a Saturday in Ireland was the one in 1918.

Regards...jmcc

Attack? Come off it. It was going to come out sooner or later and it's in the publics interest to know.

I thought that it was fairly common knowledge tbh. But come on - someone spent a lot of time, effort and probably money to forensically look into his accounts. You’re naive if you don’t think it’s an attack. Tbh, I don’t care - if you’re running for public office you should be ready for all types of examinations into your past. Personally I didn’t think he was going to get elected which is why I’m surprised that someone has put so much effort into trying to get him either taken off the ticket or walking off.

Maybe it’s Eamon Quinlan? Would he have been hoping to be added late in the day?

Maybe it’s Eamon Quinlan? Would he have been hoping to be added late in the day?

A DLS lad would hardly do that to another?

All I want is for Mary Butler to lose her seat. Disgraceful she towed to Mehole over the boundary commission, directly against Waterfords interests. She doesn't deserve another shot. Eddie is definitely more competent for that role regardless of what happened

All I want is for Mary Butler to lose her seat. Disgraceful she towed to Mehole over the boundary commission, directly against Waterfords interests. She doesn't deserve another shot. Eddie is definitely more competent for that role regardless of what happened
    It is, at the moment, unlikely that she will lose. Though if the City rallies around Mulligan, its possible that Mulligan rather than her could win a seat for FF.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

jmcc wrote: »
    It is, at the moment, unlikely that she will lose. Though if the City rallies around Mulligan, its possible that Mulligan rather than her could win a seat for FF.

Regards...jmcc

I feel utterly neglected by her performance. She voted against even having a referendum on the eight referendum.

I feel utterly neglected by her performance. She voted against even having a referendum on the eight referendum.
    Conway was the last TD that took a stand against the City. But she was an accidental TD. There was always a strong FF vote in Waterford. I think that the vote that FF got in 2016 was not a personal vote but rather a cyclical boost caused by the Water Tax and disenchantment with FG/Lab. Most of Labour's votes in 2011 were borrowed FF votes. When Labour screwed the electorate with Austerity while they kept their snouts in the trough, many of those votes shifted back to FF. There are still borrowed votes that will shift back and the real problem is figuring out where the (non-aligned) floating votes will go.

Regards..jmcc

Jaysus lads, when you look at them all, you can see why Waterford is in trouble. Piss poor selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

Jaysus lads, when you look at them all, you can see why Waterford is in trouble. Piss poor selection.

Very accurate summary of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

She has been atrocious. Deasy, Conway, Butler. We elect some of the most useless candidates out there.

I know. Could you imagine Michael McGrath or Simon Coveney crying on a local radio station a couple of weeks out from an election?

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

True. Plus;

Dublin: 45 TD's
    Cork: 18 TD's
    Limerick: 7 TD's
    Galway: 8 TD's
    Waterford: 4 TD's, completely useless except Cullinane maybe, but because FF/FG won't coalesce with SF he's still probably useless.

Outcome: Do the maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭iseegirls

True. Plus;

Dublin: 45 TD's
    Cork: 18 TD's
    Limerick: 7 TD's
    Galway: 8 TD's
    Waterford: 4

Christ, when it's put like that ... :eek:

Even Wexford have 5.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

In fairness he knew it would come out. I thought people knew about it anyway. Wouldn't be surprised if it was his running mate that leaked it.

Advertisement