Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 2020 - See MOD note in First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,295 ✭✭✭jmcc

Gardner wrote: »
    anyone who votes Green should be shot with balls of their own ****e
    Why? Is this some new recycling deal that nobody has heard about? :)

Regards...jmcc

As I've said before, Labour might have stood a chance of recovery if they had had a political enema.

As is, all the old faces are still at the trough.
    Labour even appointed Ivana Bacik as its director of elections. Some Labour TDs are retiring though. Two have already announced. Some of those eliminated in 2016 want to get back though.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Gardner wrote: »
    anyone who votes Green should be shot with balls of their own ****e

Say what you like about them, but in fairness their people are advocates of the movement, regardless of whether they're in politics or not, and for a long time when environmental issues weren't in any way popular.

That may change in the future as people try and get on their bandwagon, but they don't seem to have the many hangers on and family dynasty stuff that many of the other parties have.

It's no harm to have balance in the constituency in terms of who gets elected, and they might offer it.

jmcc wrote: »
    Look at Shanahan's transfers in the link above. Some went to the Greens but more went to FF. While it is just a local election, the transfers may indicate that the transfers in the GE will not go the way that people might expect. It will be difficult for the Green candidate to get a seat and Shanahan might get there first. With Halligan out of it, it becomes more complex. I think that a lot of Halligan's vote was a Waterford city vote and as such, that might transfer to Waterford city candidates rather than county candidates. Labour might be hoping to get some of those votes but I'm not quite sure that they will split like that.

Regards...jmcc

Yeah, I would agree that the Greens will be up against it on this occasion. But I remember on the local and European election thread I was one of the few that kept mentioning Grace O'Sullivan as being a serious dark horse when many didn't think she had any chance.

It's easier to go green in the LE than GE - the former is seen as a bit more harmless but if the Greens are in Government many people will have to fork out a few extra bob on carbon tax and change their usage patterns - many people will reject that idea completely.

On Shanahan - how is he doing since he became a local Councillor? Has he figured out that his current role has no influence on 24/7, and if so what is he doing at Council meetings?

hardybuck wrote: »
    Yeah, I would agree that the Greens will be up against it on this occasion. But I remember on the local and European election thread I was one of the few that kept mentioning Grace O'Sullivan as being a serious dark horse when many didn't think she had any chance.
    The Green vote had been building over the years.
    It's easier to go green in the LE than GE - the former is seen as a bit more harmless but if the Greens are in Government many people will have to fork out a few extra bob on carbon tax and change their usage patterns - many people will reject that idea completely.
    It depends on which demographics are voting for the Greens. There's a kind of virtue to voting Green that voting FF/FG/SF/Lab does not have.
    On Shanahan - how is he doing since he became a local Councillor? Has he figured out that his current role has no influence on 24/7, and if so what is he doing at Council meetings?
    Don't know. I'm only a visitor to this planet. :) Seriously though, he's probably no different from any of the other councillors.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/green-party-meps-back-proposal-to-remove-irelands-eu-tax-veto-38805187.html

I think I might be done with the Greens after this. WTF??

Vote in the European parliament tend to be group votes. The Indo has, for the last ten or so years been a very pro-FG newspaper.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Ciaran Cuffe explained this in his recent AMA on Reddit:

"What was the reasoning behind you voting in favour of the EU proposal to remove Ireland’s EU tax veto?"

"I want multinationals that operate in Ireland to pay their fair share of Corporation Tax. I’m not in favour of surrendering Irish tax sovereignty to Brussels, but I did vote for an amendment in the European parliament which said that qualified majority voting has delayed reform."

"Bull****. Actions speak louder than words..."

"We voted for a non-binding resolution. This was intended to send a signal to the Irish Government. The Irish Green Party does not have a policy position on unanimity. We were firing a shot across the bow of the Irish Government, a wake-up call, to concentrate its mind on the need for reform. Ireland’s aggressive tax planning policies win us few friends on the European stage. This is not anti-business, if anything it is a vote of support for small Irish small businesses that pay more than their fair share of taxes while some multinational companies pay little or nothing. If these companies paid 12.5% tax in Ireland we would be more than happy."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Gardner

Say what you like about them, but in fairness their people are advocates of the movement, regardless of whether they're in politics or not, and for a long time when environmental issues weren't in any way popular.

That may change in the future as people try and get on their bandwagon, but they don't seem to have the many hangers on and family dynasty stuff that many of the other parties have.

It's no harm to have balance in the constituency in terms of who gets elected, and they might offer it.

while there is environmental issues at hand i certainly don't believe in climate change. that's a discussion for another day. But the Greens will increase carbon taxes and will introduce further levies and taxes to fund their pie in the sky projects. they were nothing short of a disgrace the last time they were in government with FF. once bitten twice shy.

• Advertisement

jmcc wrote: »
    The Green vote had been building over the years.

It depends on which demographics are voting for the Greens. There's a kind of virtue to voting Green that voting FF/FG/SF/Lab does not have.

Don't know. I'm only a visitor to this planet. :) Seriously though, he's probably no different from any of the other councillors.

Regards...jmcc

Green Vote didn't really build before that - that's why the 2019 elections were dubbed the 'Green Wave'. 2014 local election first prefs went down by 0.7%. 2016 General Election they went up by 0.9% after losing all of their 6 seats in the 2011 election.

Pretty much all of the councillors, if they didn't already know, set out in their LE material their opinions on national issues which they had zero influence over as councillors. Hopefully the local constituents and the local media pull them up on it better next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Muttley79

Eamon Ryan on primetime last night.his is the only party willing to increase taxes to fund wind energy and public transport.so like the fibre broadband,the taxpayer pays for it while a private company reaps the profit.no thanks!!

Muttley79 wrote: »
    Eamon Ryan on primetime last night.his is the only party willing to increase taxes to fund wind energy and public transport.so like the fibre broadband,the taxpayer pays for it while a private company reaps the profit.no thanks!!

I watched the first 5 mins before having to switch it off, but I'm wondering if you've jumped too quickly to a conclusion.

If you want to overhaul public transport to make it cleaner - won't that cost money?

The Government currently funds research into renewable energy. They also provide certain grants to help encourage wind energy.

Carbon taxes could be ring-fenced to fund environmental projects, potentially freeing up other tax revenue for other projects. They might also help to encourage more environmentally friendly behaviour among consumer - e.g. the plastic bag levy.

Green Vote didn't really build before that - that's why the 2019 elections were dubbed the 'Green Wave'.
    That's because the Green gains took journalists by surprise. What you have to remember about journalists is that very few of them understand numbers or polling data. The Green vote in the Euros in Ireland South had been increasing for years. It also benefited from the boundaries changes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_(European_Parliament_constituency)
    2014 local election first prefs went down by 0.7%. 2016 General Election they went up by 0.9% after losing all of their 6 seats in the 2011 election.
    While first preferences matter, it is the transfers that get people elected. The 2011 GE results were harsh but there was no way out of it for the Greens. The smaller party in any unpopular coalition always suffers proportionately more. Look at how Labour was almost obliterated in 2016 GE and it lost 81 seats in the 2014 LEs. Some of the Green decline in 2014 could be attributed to the Water Tax issue.
    Pretty much all of the councillors, if they didn't already know, set out in their LE material their opinions on national issues which they had zero influence over as councillors. Hopefully the local constituents and the local media pull them up on it better next time.
    There's nothing like success to get the media onboard. Having a unified approach to various issues is the sign of a political party that's worked out its message.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Muttley79 wrote: »

The Green Party wanting to increase taxes? Never saw that one coming!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

As inserted in Post No.1:

MOD NOTE:
    Lets keep it civil and on-topic. No name-calling or other childish carry-on.
    Be aware of libelous comments - big claims require big evidence!

If you are in any way involved with the local candidates or political parties you must declare this before you engage in the discussion.

Any misbehaviour will be dealt with swiftly and without further warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Junior

https://waterford-news.ie/2020/01/15/phoenix-electoral-possibilities/

Strong but reasoned opinion from The Phoneix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

AdMMM wrote: »
    As if by clockwork then SF get themselves into a mess by standing by Paddy Holohan's remarks. He topped the poll for them in Tallaght in the Local Election, so of course they're not going to take decisive action and risk alienating their strong base in Tallaght.

Another gesture to save their core support but only making them less attractive to everyone else.

Has he not being suspended from the party? Lot of scandals involving ffg reps nit too many suspended or resign. They just keep swinging and claiming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If the Greens want to get a vote or two - they should make microsupply to the ESB network a high profile matter.

RTE's Morning Ireland is in part coming from Waterford for the Monday edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MoashoaM

Junior wrote: »
    https://waterford-news.ie/2020/01/15/phoenix-electoral-possibilities/

Strong but reasoned opinion from The Phoneix.

Who is that firebrand? I like the cut of his jib.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The phoenix is just a more loquacious version of a typical poster on this forum! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Is this the full hit list?

https://www.wlrfm.com/2020/01/14/waterford-candidates-general-election/#

Saw posters for an Aontu candidate in tramore today. Didn't catch the name.

It's not a great selection in my opinion. I'm surprised Eddie Mulligan got the go ahead from FF. Controversy is never far away from him, apparently!!!

Ronan Cleary.

It's not a great selection in my opinion. I'm surprised Eddie Mulligan got the go ahead from FF. Controversy is never far away from him, apparently!!!

The closing deadline is Wednesday, so not quite the full hit list yet haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DLS_75

My 4 - Eddie mulligan - David cullinane - Damien geoghegan - Mary butler

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Has he not being suspended from the party? Lot of scandals involving ffg reps nit too many suspended or resign. They just keep swinging and claiming

Yeah they initially accepted his half-baked apology but then even more remarks came out today (about how evil underage girls are having sex with men and blackmailing them) and they had no choice really but to suspend him or risk this taking over and derailing their campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gillman1998

I think that last sentence deserves some clarification. I’m not aware of any controversy being ‘not too far’ from him.

AdMMM wrote: »
    Yeah they initially accepted his half-baked apology but then even more remarks came out today (about how evil underage girls are having sex with men and blackmailing them) and they had no choice really but to suspend him or risk this taking over and derailing their campaign.

Not defending him but comments taking from podcasts where the conversations can jump from one topic to another can look very bad when taking out if context. In fairness hes hadover 100 different podcast guests so it be easy to find something. Once he became councilor he should have stopped doing podcast.

What's the controversy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Una Dunphy declaring as a candidate. Does she ever the get the message the people of Waterford don't want her as TD. I mean people don't want her a councillor either.

Advertisement