Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 2020 - See MOD note in First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

From what I’m getting on the ground it’s gaining mulligan more support. I will never give any FF candidate a vote but I do hope he gets in ahead of Butler

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

True. Plus;

Dublin: 45 TD's
    Cork: 18 TD's
    Limerick: 7 TD's
    Galway: 8 TD's
    Waterford: 4 fcuking useless TD's except the Shinner maybe, but because FF/FG won't coalesce with SF he's still useless.

Outcome: Do the maths.

That is why you need to vote for who is most likely to become a minister not just for "your" party.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

DLS_75 wrote: »
    Even Wexford have 5.
    When all is said and done, the unpleasant truth for Waterford is that it's a relatively small county so it has less pull than the likes of Cork or Galway. Parts of South Kilkenny are within the economic orbit of Waterford City(draw a line from Ross to Mullinavat to Mooncoin and it's that area). Arguably, if you put these areas into an expanded Waterford constituency, you could get an extra seat for "Waterford". Then again, go beyond Kilmac and I suspect that the needs of Waterford City are down the list of priorities for voters. You could make a case that there are only 2 or 3 TD's are really batting for the City. I would say that all of the TD's in Limerick are all out to help Limerick City simply because there is no counter balance to Limerick City in the county and Cork and Galway are similar. I know that Waterford City is way bigger than Dungarvan but the argy bargy between Dungarvan and the City for jobs and services following the City Council/County Council merger shows the competition between the two poles of influence in the county as a whole.

This is why Waterford can't realistically expect to have a minister every time. I don't mean to annoy anyone but it's simply too small. Unfortunately. Of course, having able politicians would increase the odds on Waterford having a minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭91wx763

Eddie Mulligan knocked on me mother's door in "an Baile Bocht" today. Fair play I say all things considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

91wx763 wrote: »
    Eddie Mulligan knocked on me mother's door in "an Baile Bocht" today. Fair play I say all things considered.

Whatever about what occurred, it takes a fair bit of gumption to get back on the horse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

BBM77 wrote: »
    That is why you need to vote for who is most likely to become a minister not just for "your" party.

All things being equal Cullinane is probably the most likely ministerial candidate, but I wonder what are the odds on SF getting into power with both FF and FG ruling out a coalition with them?

noby wrote: »
    All things being equal Cullinane is probably the most likely ministerial candidate, but I wonder what are the odds on SF getting into power with both FF and FG ruling out a coalition with them?

Slim.

Both parties have ruled out working with them repeatedly. SF have struggled to go beyond 20% in opinion polls, and they struggle to convert that into seats as they haven't been transfer friendly to date.

In addition, they keep getting mired in criminal matters. One of the TDs in Cork was in court about a year ago for threatening and abusing Gardai. About 2.5 years ago a former councillor was convicted for torturing a man in his garage.

Because SF continue to have this type of behaviour within their ranks most of the established parties will refuse to work with them.

They have also been accused of having a less than democratic decision making process, as their Ard Chomhairle seem to direct policy and day to day operations. This includes members north and south of the border, and a number of them aren't elected representatives. This would put off potential coalition partners.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Muttley79

Waterford city is in the doldrums,dungarvan don’t like us since councils have come together.cork,Kilkenny and wexford have issues with Waterford city as the south east region main hub.take away the north quays development and there’s little or nothing for Waterford in the 2040 plan compared to irelands other cities,we have piss poor politicians fighting in our corner.met Mary butler one time and she tells me its awful we don’t have a strong voice here in Waterford’s!!this coming from a politician that should be fighting tooth and nail for us and demanding we get our fair share.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭wagtail99

BBM77 wrote: »

What we need to vote for is a new way, not just more of the same again. Listening to the radio on Monday morning, the message comong across was that Health is the big election issue in Waterford, and along with housing and pensions is also the main national election issue.
    As has been proven again and again, neither FG or FG want a properly run and funded public health service. Both parties have had a very neo-liberal approach to health for many years - remember the FF governments happily appointing Mary Harney again and again to the Health Minister post. If we want a proper public health service we need to elect different governments.
    So actually voting for FF or FG will not actually solve the main election issue in Waterford. We need to give a stronger voice to politicians who will fight for a proper public Health Service.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

jmcc wrote: »
    It is, at the moment, unlikely that she will lose. Though if the City rallies around Mulligan, its possible that Mulligan rather than her could win a seat for FF.

Regards...jmcc

Why on earth would anyone vote for her?

Seriously, I'm genuinely baffled :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

You clearly didnt read the leaflet her folks stuffed through my door today. She is on several commitees... And... well actually thats it... as CVs go i wouldnt wipe my backside with it if the HR dept sent it to me.

Worst selection of candidates in at least 40 years in Waterford i reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭jmcc

Fianna Failness? Because she represents her voters' values? There's a FF vote in Waterford and she was the only FF candidate. In Waterford, FF did very badly due in 2011 due to the economic situation and the Kenneally issue. Some of that 2016 vote was cyclical in that floating votes that had drifted to Labour and FG in 2011 drifted back to FF in 2016. The main problem for Butler's 2020 vote is that some of those who voted for her in 2016 voted for FF rather than for her and Mulligan's candidature could potentially half her first preference vote. Like most others, she would be depending on transfers to get a seat. But this time, there's an even stronger threat to the traditional FF vote. Shanahan has to capability to draw votes from all over the political spectrum so she is by no means guaranteed a seat in 2020. She also seems to have benefited from an older conservative vote. Despite the media coverage about the Repeal and SSM referenda, they were no universally supported and there is still a considerable % of voters that voted against these referenda or did not vote.

Regards...jmcc

If what WLR are reporting this morning is true, Eddie Mulligan should be removed from the Fianna Fáil ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭jmcc

Gael23 wrote: »
    If what WLR are reporting this morning is true, Eddie Mulligan should be removed from the Fianna Fáil ticket
    More stuff? Seems that some people are rather eager to have him removed from the ticket.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DLS_75

WLR NEW HEADLINE & IRISH TIMES SUSTAINED REPORTING

This morning I wake up to another attack on the integrity of my wife and I by reporters Eoghan Dalton & Colm Keena, in relation to my appointment to Garter Lane by Waterford Council in 2014. The facts are;

- My wife and I are both tax compliant.
    - I received no written notice from the High Court, the Liquidator or the Office Director of Corporate Enforcement or solicitor in relation to my restriction and or disqualification.
    - I dug out notes from a telephone conversation with my solicitor on 2/2/17 which stated the duration was for five years, and that I could reapply after a year. He also stated that I would receive it in writing.
    - To date I have received nothing in writing informing me of the effective date and or the details of the order.
    - As soon as it was brought to my attention by the Accountants Garter Lane, I resigned from the Board. I cited personal reasons as it is a hugely shameful and embarrassing thing to have to discuss with anyone.

All my work with Garter Lane was in a voluntary capacity and completely immersed myself for the duration of my involvement and I don’t think anyone can undermine my professional, honest and dedicated work to the Arts and the Centre, in addition to the Cultural Quarter concept. I also served on this Committee voluntarily as this was a concept that emerged from my time serving voluntarily again on the City Centre Management Group, prior to being a Cllr. Many residents, businesses and community groups in the O’ Connell Street area I’m sure will endorse my huge volume of work as a volunteer and then as a Councillor in the area.

I did not answer further questions on this yesterday as on Monday, I responded e mail to questions by Mr Dalton to me at 1457hrs by 1658 hours and I was quoted in yesterday’s edition as not responding, which was factually incorrect.

I attended a meeting in Fianna Fail HQ last night discussing the media content. Ultimately, my wife and I made incorrect choices during a time of the worst economic crisis in history, we paid the price personally, professionally and emotionally. We are trying to rebuild our lives like many people are in this Country & County, that I am so proud of.

I now await my fate from Fianna Fail and consider my future in public life.

Thank you so much for the kind, inspiring and fantastic messages of support over the last two days, we both hugely appreciate them

Eddie

This is probably the worst controversy involving elected officials in Waterford since Eddie Collins was sacked by the Taoiseach in the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Haven't posted on boards in a long time but politics brings me back once again! :D I know Eddie to be a better public servant than most, however I can't see how he goes on with all these stories coming out. What he has done is wrong but I don't think it would prevent him being an effective TD. Still this will follow him around now.

Shame as I really think the list of candidates for Waterford is very poor overall. I know who I don't want to vote for, mainly FF and FG, but I honestly have no idea who to vote for. It's depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Mary Butler on the radio now. Embarrassing stuff from her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

When is it ever not embarrassing. I don't know how she is still a publicly-elected representative, never mind in with a shout of being re-elected.

• Advertisement

I think for a lot of people this will turn into a process of elimination.

Start with the candidate you dislike least and work backwards from there!

Wafts she saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Muttley79

Ok the hospital is a big issue here,8 minutes she waffled on about getting a second cath lab,however Damien should of pushed her about airport,university,north quay development hanging by a feather.the reason why Waterford is left behind.200,000 sqm of office/retail being built in cork over next 3 years.not 1 sqm in Waterford only the north quay development if that gets the green light and that's only 15,000 sqm.i thought Damien was a bit easy on her

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Gael23 wrote: »
    From what I’m getting on the ground it’s gaining mulligan more support. I will never give any FF candidate a vote but I do hope he gets in ahead of Butler
    If that's true then it's a sad reflection on Waterford voters. At the beginning I felt sorry for the man because he got in over his head and stuck his head into the sand. But the more I think about it, that mess got as bad as it did because of his ego.

You don't get disqualified from being a company director for cooperating and engaging like he insists he did. By keeping his own failing business open, he heaped pressure on smaller local salons who were paying their taxes! He ensured that the insolvent business he owned paid rent to a partnership he was in.

Forget about Eddie fighting for Waterford, Eddie fights for Eddie.

Regarding Mulligan, you're seeing a number of potential issues. Judgement appears to be lacking, there is definitely selfishness, and the way it's being reported there is a pattern of dishonesty - which is surprising and most damaging.

While I know he'll get sympathy as it can be tough for local businesses, particularly during that period, it appears that a business that was insolvent for each of its ten years remained open. This demonstrates poor judgement and poor business acumen. This is someone who previously had at least one other business (Waterford Paint Sales) for a good number of years, and which dissolved, and therefore wasn't a novice.

The way it has been reported they made sure to repay themselves for money they initially invested, and for rent in a partnership they were involved in, while racking up more liabilities to creditors. This is what I dislike most. I'm sure plenty of local people are among those creditors, and in a way we all are as Revenue have a large outstanding bill.

The dishonesty aspect is growing the more this continues. Failing to co-operate with the liquidation and getting banned for being a company director isn't something which that happens to that many people.

He appears to have lied to the Garter Lane Board about his reasons for stepping down. He appears to have failed to inform his party about any of it.

I'm sure it was all terribly embarrassing but if he'd owned it from Day 1 he'd probably not be in this mess.

Regarding all of the election candidates, has anyone seen much in terms of what they actually propose to do while in office?

I presume they'll all waffle on about the hospital, the North Quays, more houses, jobs etc., but a better question regarding all of these high level promises is - 'how'?

If I encounter any candidates I hope to ask them specifically what they intend to contribute personally as an elected official. Would they hope or expect to be part of Government, potentially as a Minister? If not, what Committees might they sit on. Do they propose to submit Private Members Bills?

If they cite any high level national issues I intend to ask them their personal stance on those matters.

I don't think I'll get too much back in terms of logic because I'm not terribly confident that most of them know what they're doing, but hopefully some clarity emerges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Bards

hardybuck wrote: »
    Regarding Mulligan, you're seeing a number of potential issues. Judgement appears to be lacking, there is definitely selfishness, and the way it's being reported there is a pattern of dishonesty - which is surprising and most damaging.

While I know he'll get sympathy as it can be tough for local businesses, particularly during that period, it appears that a business that was insolvent for each of its ten years remained open. This demonstrates poor judgement and poor business acumen. This is someone who previously had at least one other business (Waterford Paint Sales) for a good number of years, and which dissolved, and therefore wasn't a novice.

The way it has been reported they made sure to repay themselves for money they initially invested, and for rent in a partnership they were involved in, while racking up more liabilities to creditors. This is what I dislike most. I'm sure plenty of local people are among those creditors, and in a way we all are as Revenue have a large outstanding bill.

The dishonesty aspect is growing the more this continues. Failing to co-operate with the liquidation and getting banned for being a company director isn't something which that happens to that many people.

He appears to have lied to the Garter Lane Board about his reasons for stepping down. He appears to have failed to inform his party about any of it.

I'm sure it was all terribly embarrassing but if he'd owned it from Day 1 he'd probably not be in this mess.

.. And dont forget how as soon as he got elected as an independent he jumped ship and joined FF

He betrayed his electorate for doing that and i will never vote for him again

Bards wrote: »
    .. And dont forget how as soon as he got elected as an independent he jumped ship and joined FF

He betrayed his electorate for doing that and i will never vote for him again

I wonder if he's suspended by FF would he run as an independent?

Looks like Butler really short herself in the foot on WLR this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 karlndes

The betting odds on paddy power are interesting. Cullinane 1/14, Butler 1/10, Geoghegan 1/5, Pratt 2/1, O’ Cathasaigh 5/2, Shanahan 5/2, Mulligan 3/1, Cummins 3/1, Hartley 4/1

Advertisement