Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie [Netflix] - *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I really enjoyed it. My main gripe as many others have said is that there was just no need for it. What could have made it more worthwhile was if instead of the shootout at the end, Jesse had a real Heisenberg-esque plan, showing how much he learnt from Walt and how he's his true successor, but without the ego Walt had which allows Jesse to actually be free. Instead we just got the shootout which, while decent, was a bit of a damp squib to end on.

Also I was sure the diner waiter in the flashback was the actor who played Brock, as he could have been old enough to play that role by now. Thought it was a nice Easter egg. Turns out it's not him at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

Thargor wrote: »

That review itself is quite poor. Bang of #metoo off it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Penn wrote: »
    I really enjoyed it. My main gripe as many others have said is that there was just no need for it. What could have made it more worthwhile was if instead of the shootout at the end, Jesse had a real Heisenberg-esque plan, showing how much he learnt from Walt.

I thought having the bigger handgun hidden was a pretty smart idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Was he the Hoover salesman that made people
    disappear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Very good epilogue to the show. I’m glad Gilligan resisted temptation to stick with his OG ending. while also avoiding unnecessary cameos from Skyler, Hank, Saul etc.
    I’d say it was very tempting to change the fate of one of the central characters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Maybe breaking bad just wasn’t as good as I remember..? I was a big fan of the show but thought El Camino was absolute pants!

Jesus christ. Reviews like that must be written to incite a reaction surely. Apparently you're from a by gone era if you don't have a female anti hero. Anything else is misogynistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    What happened to Todd
    robwen wrote: »
    I had to Google Brock Cantillo
    Anybody here actually watch Breaking Bad? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Anybody here actually watch Breaking Bad? :pac:

Many years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I liked it. As for the necessity of it, the entertainment value is enough. I'm looking forward now to seeing what happens to Saul when he gets tired of his Cinnabon career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Maybe breaking bad just wasn’t as good as I remember..? I was a big fan of the show but thought El Camino was absolute pants!

Haven’t seen the film but BB is definitely overrated.

I’ve always thought they should do something with Gustavo Fring though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’s... fine! The good side of fine... but fine nonetheless. It is absolutely fundamentally redundant, and it’s fan servicey in a way that’d give anime a run for its money. But it’s Vince Gilligan making more Breaking Bad, and inevitably it’s packed with style, lovingly drawn out set pieces, and plenty of neat character moments. It dives deeper into the western genre influences that were always there - a straight-up shootout feels a natural fit for this fictional universe. It wasn’t by any stretch necessary to fit almost every possible character in there, dead or alive - heavy flashback structures like this almost invariably come across as clunky to me. It falls short of peak Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul, but it does no harm to the series either.

In conclusion: Ozymandias is still the real finale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

I thought it was great tbh. Not needed maybe, who knows but it was great 2 hours. Like catching up with an old friend. No need to read too much into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

Well that review completely missed the point of the film.

El Camino had a lot of expectations to live up to, and I honestly think it could never match the audience expectations. At times I found myself thinking the pace and direction were off, but then I couldn't think of an alternative given the final events of Breaking Bad.

Even having Jessie just go through his PTSD and find comfort with Skinny Pete and Badger would have felt too small for a film.

I think we needed to see Jessie have a happy ending, especially given what he went through in the show. Hence why the film went through the events it did, it was about him coming to terms with past events, and moving in with his second chance at a new life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭golfball37

Small things like hearing about the Houston businesswoman in a critical condition on radio are things Gilligan does very well. Jesse knew straight away what and who it was.
    Thought Todd’s appearance took from it somewhat if I’m being honest but they all aged, Mike and Forster (rip) too very noticeable, even Walter looked older.
    I enjoyed it anyway but probably won’t watch again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Walt was wearing a very large and obvious bald cap.... I thought that was way worse then Todd’s weight gain... Walt head looked ridiculous, like an SNL skit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Todd is at least 2 stone heavier in the movie. And looks about 10 years older.
    Vacuum repair man Ed aka Robert Forster RIP. Great actor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Whoever wrote that was determined to not like it. 1 star out of 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Beric Dondarrion

Whoever wrote that was determined to not like it. 1 star out of 5?

Agree with this sentiment, what an absolutely horrible, ****ty and petty review.

I liked this, watched it almost as soon as it became available and enjoyed it (for the most part). It did come across as being unnecessary but it was an enjoyable couple of hours in the company of some characters I had watched over the course of 5 seasons in BB. A solid 7 out of 10 from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,016 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I got to here in that BBC review and realised they didn't even watch the film.

" with Pinkman driving through the fences of the Nazi compound White had rescued him from in White’s titular El Camino car, "

If you had watched it you would very clearly know that was Todd's El Camino. I mean they spent a good portion of the movie to flashbacks with Todd driving it.

• Advertisement

Agree with this sentiment, what an absolutely horrible, ****ty and petty review.

I liked this, watched it almost as soon as it became available and enjoyed it (for the most part). It did come across as being unnecessary but it was an enjoyable couple of hours in the company of some characters I had watched over the course of 5 seasons in BB. A solid 7 out of 10 from me.

And I did not hate Skyler as a character like other people but, no, a follow up on her would not be good. Skyler attends Walt’s funeral? Skyler opens a bank account in her location? Skyler tentatively starts dating again? Now THAT would be pointless. The only mildly interesting thing would be her and Marie trying to rebuilt their relationship. I liked both characters but in strictly small doses. And I wasn’t a huge fan of Walt Jr.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Great sign when far left cucks hate a show.

They are having meltdowns over the Joker movie - great sign too...

I enjoyed it, not amazing, but very good film.
    I did like all the flashbacks - except Walt's actually , felt it was just thrown in there for the sake of it and didn't really add much to it.
    He also didn't look right, did they use CGI to de age him ?

Todd's ones were great, what a creep - but was a little offputting that he has aged and put on so much weight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ah yes, the BBC, that famed bastion of the ‘far left’.

Shouting a load of culture war buzzwords does not an argument make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Thought it was very meh. Pointless storyline. Jesse is suddenly a mastermind.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Thought it was very meh. Pointless storyline. Jesse is suddenly a mastermind.

Jesse kinda is a mastermind though. His evolution throughout the whole show demonstrated how much he learnt from Walt, to the point where he even out-thought Walt on a few occasions. He also learnt a lot from Mike in their time together.

Ah yes, the BBC, that famed bastion of the ‘far left’.

Shouting a load of culture war buzzwords does not an argument make.

Sorry you're right, it was an excellent accurate review written by a very stable man.

I myself would have given the show 10/10 if only there were more lines to strong women ...

The Guardian and The AV Club - by far more left-leaning organisations - gave it a very positive review.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Was a bit disappointed. First obvious thing, is that the actors age, so creating 'flashbacks' is a bit risky.

Someone mentioned that they thought perhaps Walt had been de-aged. Funnily, when I looked at the scene in the diner, I immediately thought it had come from the BB cutting room floor, so to speak.

To a certain extent, the bad guys had to get their comeuppance, hence the gunfight and explosion. If you read that BBC review quoted earlier, it seems to suggest the audience would find humour in the scenes about the poor cleaning lady. I think the reviewer wasn't paying attention. To me the point of that scene was to hark back to how Jesse described Tod as a "dead eyed opey". Which in fairness was was played out perfectly in the film. No idea how that was seen as some attempt at humour.

and this gem : " It picks up where we left off, with Pinkman driving through the fences of the Nazi compound White had rescued him from in White’s titular El Camino car, ...". That wasn't White's car, he arrived in a saloon car, remember the 'guard' was asking Walter how many cubic inches the engine block was?

So, where would I have liked it to go? Well Hank and Steve deserved a proper funeral. What happened to the money Walt gave to the Grey Matter couple?(he's actually English, have seen him in other stuff). AND.......

one day at dinner in the last year or two, I threw out the possibility of Walt not actually being dead. "hey, I haven't finished BB yet!" . Whoops! Well, he definitely is now. One of the TV reports in the background refers to his death.

I give the film 6/10. Not for style or potrayal of characters - as usual, that's 10/10 - but for missed opportunities.

I really don't think I've seen any bad acting in BB, BCS or El Camino. Perhaps its a case of the characters being well developed, so playing them might be easier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Thought it was great. Really enjoyed it and didn't want it to end.

Would actually love a Jessie standalone series as I just love the universe that Vince Gilligan has created. I will be very sad when better call saul ends.

Advertisement