Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie [Netflix] - *Spoilers*

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Hang on now.... BB is one of the top shows of all time yes, but this God-like reverence that some fans have for Vince Gilligan is just bizarre

BCS has proven that he's just as capable of making missteps as anyone else. It's a decent show (mostly held together by Mike IMO) but Jimmy/Saul was a guest star/minor character that didn't really need several seasons of backstory.

The Kim character is awful I think and drags most scenes she's in, Gilligan is a bit fond of indulgent scenes to pad out running times on occasion, and as of the last season finalé, Jimmy/Saul/Mike/Gus are pretty much exactly where they need to be for BB S1E01, yet we're going to try and drag ANOTHER season out of it? Unless it skips to post-BB Saul, it's a ridiculous move.

Anyway, all my opinion, but Vince Gilligan is not immune from criticism no more than any other show/creator.

Many people say BCS is better than BB. I mean, that’s their opinion but I’m just thinking “WTF?”. My husband watches both shows but where he’d be impatiently waiting for the next series of BB, often he has not even known that the new series of BCS has been released. He likes it in a “this is enjoyably diverting” kind of way.

I find the critical praise for BCS so over the top. And I hate the small number of BCS fans who say that BB fans who don’t like it only don’t because there’s less violence and it isn’t showy enough. My favourite parts of BB were the slower, more contemplative parts and I sometimes skip over violent scenes on rewatch. I just don’t think the story is all that compelling in BCS. I’ve also heard people say “Give it a chance, BB didn’t pick up until a few series in!”. Huh? I found it compelling from the very first episode. When the ‘Ken Wins’ guy was brought back in BCS, I was done. Now, that was pointless fan service.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Fago123

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Hang on now.... BB is one of the top shows of all time yes, but this God-like reverence that some fans have for Vince Gilligan is just bizarre

BCS has proven that he's just as capable of making missteps as anyone else. It's a decent show (mostly held together by Mike IMO) but Jimmy/Saul was a guest star/minor character that didn't really need several seasons of backstory.

The Kim character is awful I think and drags most scenes she's in, Gilligan is a bit fond of indulgent scenes to pad out running times on occasion, and as of the last season finalé, Jimmy/Saul/Mike/Gus are pretty much exactly where they need to be for BB S1E01, yet we're going to try and drag ANOTHER season out of it? Unless it skips to post-BB Saul, it's a ridiculous move.

Anyway, all my opinion, but Vince Gilligan is not immune from criticism no more than any other show/creator.

Never said Gilligan was immune from criticism, my post was relating to Breaking Bad and the fact some people are taking a bizarre stance of "I don't need any more" like their viewing needs trump the actual creative need of the person who gave us a masterpiece!

I also believe Better Call Saul is waaaayyy above "decent", its excellent (and Peter Gould is showrunner for BCS, not Gilligan)

And finally yes, he is a god :D

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I liked it, not something I'm going to watch again for a while though.

At the end of BB I was happy knowing Jessie rode off in the sunset, which is essentially the same feeling I have after watching this. Interesting to see how he got there though and the tie backs to the flashbacks. We got to see more of what happened while Walt was up north.

But he went from having PTSD in the shower to being grand way to quick for my liking.

Essentially all this film did was tell the story of where Jessie got the money to ride off into sunset.

I thought it wasn't much good TBH, shame

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭trashcan

This is probably going to draw ire but I don’t think Bob Odenkirk is a good enough actor to carry a show. I just didn’t believe him a lot of the time in the bit of BCS I watched. And he was and is surrounded by considerable acting talent (Banks, McKean, Seehorn, Esposito etc.) and that highlights his shortcomings even more. to me.

I wouldn't agree at all. I think Bob Odenkirk is a fine actor, and Jimmy a very watchable character. I don't get the hate for Kim either. And the Chuck/Jimmy dynamic was great while it lasted. It's probably a lesser show without Chuck. A Jesse/Saul link up would have improved El Camino greatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Probably like a few others I was half way through and decided to go back and watch final episode, then continued with half of film ....

I thought it was good .... 7/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I liked it. But it really did just feel like a long episode of Breaking Bad. It wasn't really a film in its own right.

It was nice to see Jesse ride off into the sunset/Alaskan snow.
    But Breaking Bad ended with him driving away to safety. So story wise this movie felt a little redundant.

It also reminded me of my biggest criticism of Breaking Bad, even though I think it was a superb show.
    Jesse cries and whimpers and mopes a bit too much for my liking. I know it's his character, but he gets emotional so much, like he's up there with a toddler for how often he breaks down completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Screw Attack

I liked it. But it really did just feel like a long episode of Breaking Bad. It wasn't really a film in its own right.

But Breaking Bad ended with him driving away to safety. So story wise this movie felt a little redundant.

It also reminded me of my biggest criticism of Breaking Bad, even though I think it was a superb show.
    Jesse cries and whimpers and mopes a bit too much for my liking. I know it's his character, but he gets emotional so much, like he's up there with a toddler for how often he breaks down completely.

What are you talking about? Did you even watch the film? He may "driven away to safety" from Jack's compound but he's a man who is completely trapped. His choice and will are taken away from him, and the story is about him fighting to take back his freedom. I can't see how that's redundant. Also, the flashbacks with Todd are superb, the tarantula may be literal as Drew Sharp's pet/Todd's kill trophy?, but in the film's iteration it's another symbolic reminder of Jesse trapped like a creature. Seen later as him allowing the insect to crawl up his hand, and hiding behind Kandy's compound like a feral dog. Feral dog? Maybe "problem dog"?. Anyway, I rewatched it and enjoyed it the second time. My complaint would be the the television iteration of the characters featured are stronger given the span and scope, and the relationship we had with them. It's a glaring flaw that the film has to deal with, but ignoring that connection, it still holds up as a good piece of TV art house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Loved it. Found myself really just wanting it to turn out ok for Jessie.

Some extra character development with the todd flashbacks, and the hose scene etc really gruesome stuff

Loved being back in that universe for a time.

Felina was obviously very Heisenberg focused so it was nice for Jessie to get some time

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Jesse's breaking down so often is supposed to show the effect that Walt and his actions is having on him.

It also shows how Jesse cares about people vs how Walt doesn't really give a sh!t about anyone until it comes to his own family.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,996 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Fago123 wrote: »
    Surprised by all the underwhelmed reactions here, I thought it was superb and has been rattling around in my head every since I saw it.

I also find this attitude of "I didn't need it" or "a story that didn't need to be told" or "pointless" so strange. The creator/showrunner/brain behind one of the greatest shows of all time has an artistic itch and need to write and direct another chapter of a masterpiece and some people have the arrogance to shrug and say "nah, I don't need that". So weird.

It wasn't needed the ending of this was the same as the TV series. Jesse riding away free, everything else in between added nothing to the show.

Another thing that really annoyed me was when the **** did he turn into such a badass? He was pretty much a screw up throughout the whole show and then we are meant to believe he can shoot everyone, blow up a building with Walt like levels of precision.

It was fun to watch but its hard to argue against the fact it was pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

rob316 wrote: »
    Another thing that really annoyed me was when the **** did he turn into such a badass? He was pretty much a screw up throughout the whole show and then we are meant to believe he can shoot everyone, blow up a building with Walt like levels of precision.

He learned a lot from Walt and after his being held captive by Todd and his uncle's gang obviously broke him to the extent that he just didn't care any more because he had lost so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

rob316 wrote: »
    Another thing that really annoyed me was when the **** did he turn into such a badass?

Probably around the time he was treated like an animal and tortured by the Nazis, had the woman that he loved murdered just to teach him a lesson and the threat that Brock would be next. Also the welding guy was connected to the Nazis and built that contraption for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,775 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

breaking bad has always been quite mechanical and Deus ex machina but the guy out of nowhere suggesting a duel? come on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I bet you a €5 charity bet :D

Well?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Penfailed wrote: »
    Well?

Well it still left lots of questions unanswered, like what happened Skyler, Walt junior, Hanks wife? did they get on with their lives?....

What you say in the interest of fairness we both donate?

Here's mine
    493310.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

What are you talking about? Did you even watch the film? He may "driven away to safety" from Jack's compound but he's a man who is completely trapped. His choice and will are taken away from him, and the story is about him fighting to take back his freedom. I can't see how that's redundant. Also, the flashbacks with Todd are superb, the tarantula may be literal as Drew Sharp's pet/Todd's kill trophy?, but in the film's iteration it's another symbolic reminder of Jesse trapped like a creature. Seen later as him allowing the insect to crawl up his hand, and hiding behind Kandy's compound like a feral dog. Feral dog? Maybe "problem dog"?. Anyway, I rewatched it and enjoyed it the second time. My complaint would be the the television iteration of the characters featured are stronger given the span and scope, and the relationship we had with them. It's a glaring flaw that the film has to deal with, but ignoring that connection, it still holds up as a good piece of TV art house.

I really don't want to be overly critical of a film and show that I enjoyed. But Breaking Bad ended with Walt laying dead and Jesse getting away. This film ended with Walt confirmed dead and Jesse getting away. It didn't really add anything to the overall narrative.
    I mean we got 62 episodes of story from the show (yes I did Google it :)). Having flashbacks be such a core part of the movie felt silly. Why is there a need for Mike and Walt to be part of it? They are both dead, it doesn't progress anything forward.
    Jesse's breaking down so often is supposed to show the effect that Walt and his actions is having on him.

It also shows how Jesse cares about people vs how Walt doesn't really give a sh!t about anyone until it comes to his own family.

I do like the contrast that it shows between the characters of Jesse and Walt in how much they care about people. They both made and sold the meth, they both kill people, but there is a strong inherent difference between them both morally and ethically.
    Jesse whinging happens less so in this film compared to the show. But it came back to me strongly just how annoying Jesse was with his moping around episode after episode. Like he must have cried/broken down more times than any other character ever that is part of such a successful show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Meh.

Meh, meh, meh, meh, meh, meh, meh.

Filler.

The perfect ending has been tarnished by $$$$$.

The
    Walter scene
    was so as tacked on as any fan appeasing moment in film or TV history and imo utterly cheapened the wonderful work that went before. So disappointed with this. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Homelander

I have to say I was very disappointed. It's not to say it's not good, because I enjoyed it, but it's heavily padded and ultimately adds virtually nothing to the end of Breaking Bad, and is far too heavy-handed with the fan service too. I think coming from the amazing Better Call Saul, I expected something deeper, more meaningful, and a lot more intelligently crafted. Worth watching and it is certainly good.....but fell short of what I had expected.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

breaking bad has always been quite mechanical and Deus ex machina but the guy out of nowhere suggesting a duel? come on

He was coked off his tits...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Meh.

Meh, meh, meh, meh, meh, meh, meh.

Filler.

The perfect ending has been tarnished by $$$$$.

The
    Walter scene
    was so as tacked on as any fan appeasing moment in film or TV history and imo utterly cheapened the wonderful work that went before. So disappointed with this. :(

The film was unnecessary but I liked the Walter cameo, mainly because I was expecting it, and expecting it to be some some sort of flashback/hallucination to Walt scolding Jesse for not applying himself.

For it to be a flashback about how lost Walt was and depressed about how his life had turned out, was quite beautiful. It was actually the only thing I loved about the film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany

Really liked the film. I was a little bit worried that 2 hours of Jesse Pinkman without Walter would feel unsatisfying, but I soon forgot about that as the film kept moving along quite well. I think the Todd flashback scenes were the best bits - highly unsettling with notes of dark humour. Nice ending - fitted with the end of the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

On;y recently watched Breaking Bad (which I thought was excellent) and then watched this, which was, as others have said, meh. Not a fan of it, doesn't appear to go anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I see there is some short out with Todd and his creepy snowglobe.

I am getting region blocks on youtube and AMC, no doubt it will be reposted on youtube without them though

https://movieweb.com/snow-globe-breaking-bad-short-todd-el-camino/?fbclid=IwAR3qIybrPj2NfXajKWffvGMm4w6H5BwniOFltNGlAsxJj33-U7ko17A4yss

some might be able to watch it with vpn or plugins or whatever, its only 2min 45s anyway

https://www.amc.com/shows/el-camino-a-breaking-bad-movie/video-extras/el-camino-short-snow-globe

• Registered Users Posts: 19,616 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just watched this last night and one thing bugging me- did Jesse not buy his parents house by Sauls blackmail over running a meth lab from it? Also thought they had called the cops on him at one stage? Just seemed strange that they would make the appeal on tv and also go to pick him up when the last interaction with the parents was that he completely shafted them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Probably an attempt by them to keep up appearances in the local community, not doing so even as an estranged son would probably be frowned upon for them

• Registered Users Posts: 33,347 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Just watched this last night and one thing bugging me- did Jesse not buy his parents house by Sauls blackmail over running a meth lab from it? Also thought they had called the cops on him at one stage? Just seemed strange that they would make the appeal on tv and also go to pick him up when the last interaction with the parents was that he completely shafted them.

I think it was his aunts house, not his parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Penn wrote: »
    I think it was his aunts house, not his parents.

He bought the house from his parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,616 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

He bought the house from his parents.

Thats what I had thought. But was it the same house as back in Series 4(?) And after buying it did Jesse allow them to live there? I dont recall that happening or being covered at the time. And if it was a different house altogether he wouldnt have been familiar where the safe was yet he made a beeline for in in el Camino.

Maybe it is a bit of a continuity error, I certainly thought their role in the film as strange as last we saw of them they were totally estranged with Jesse.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,347 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Thats what I had thought. But was it the same house as back in Series 4(?) And after buying it did Jesse allow them to live there? I dont recall that happening or being covered at the time. And if it was a different house altogether he wouldnt have been familiar where the safe was yet he made a beeline for in in el Camino.

Maybe it is a bit of a continuity error, I certainly thought their role in the film as strange as last we saw of them they were totally estranged with Jesse.

From what I remember, it was his aunt's house and he was living in it in Season 1 (I think maybe he lived with his aunt before she died and his parents let him live there after, but they owned the actual house). Then his parents kicked him out and he moved in beside Jane in Season 2. In Season 3, after his parents refurbished the house, he bought it from them (through Saul so they didn't know it was him). Given his ties to Heisenberg, it's likely when he went missing, the police seized the house as a criminal asset or whatever, so there was no point Jesse going back there.

I think the house in El Camino was his parent's house, and he knew where the safe was because it was probably where his father always kept the safe. Jesse obviously lived there growing up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭vafankillar

only watched this now.

agree with a lot of what was said, didn't feel like a movie in it's own right and I was expecting a bit more, but if I had expected just a final epilogue additional episode or whatever I would have been pretty happy, as that it was fairly good in fairness.

main thing that bugged me was the vacuum cleaner guy refusing the job because of a measly €1,800 and then even ringing the cops. just didn't make sense to me. surely you'd want to get the job done and get the payment and avoid any more risk with jessie running around looking for more money with clearly no way of getting it without making noise., and it's not like he could tell other people he payed less or whatever? i guess it was needed to structure the story like that but it just seemed forced.

Advertisement