Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie [Netflix] - *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭brevity

Todd is such a ****ing psychotic prick. I’d nearly watch the series finale with him getting murdered by Jessie.

In saying that, the best scene in the movie was him singing and trying to get the truck to honk it horn. Such a psycho.

Overall, I liked it. I’m not sure why it’s even a thing but I did like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

I enjoyed it but it kind of felt superfluous, which is what "BCS" felt like for the first few eps before it came into it's own. Which is why I wish this was a mini-series (6 eps or so) instead of just a two hour movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Better Call Saul set the pattern of explaining pointless things. I mean, Jesse driving away from the Nazi camp was all we needed to see. Everything in El Camino was essentially some combination of what we probably assumed would have happened.
    Really well done but nothing we needed to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Mousewar wrote: »
    Better Call Saul set the pattern of explaining pointless things. I mean, Jesse driving away from the Nazi camp was all we needed to see. Everything in El Camino was essentially some combination of what we probably assumed would have happened.
    Really well done but nothing we needed to see.

What’s the point of any epilogue though?

What’s the point of any epilogue though?

Well, when you return to something after such a gap, i'd've thought it would be because there was some part of the story untold, or some theme unexplored or some part of a character left to discover. But none of that seemed to apply.
    When Jesse was driving away at the end of Breaking Bad, I thought "Great, he's free". When he was driving away at the end of El Camino, I though "Great, he's free". Nothing in between changed or added to that. Again, it was well made but there was no point to it. The story had already been fully told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,016 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Well, when you return to something after such a gap, i'd've thought it would be because there was some part of the story untold, or some theme unexplored or some part of a character left to discover. But none of that seemed to apply.
    When Jesse was driving away at the end of Breaking Bad, I thought "Great, he's free". When he was driving away at the end of El Camino, I though "Great, he's free". Nothing in between changed or added to that. Again, it was well made but there was no point to it. The story had already been fully told.

That's pretty much it, it's fan service plain and simple. Well made, acted but totally pointless to the overall BB story.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

2smiggy wrote: »
    people's impressions ?, obviously please use the spoiler tag if mentioning any. Will watch it tonight all going well

TBH I was disappointed with it.Found it quite underwhelming.

Well, there were parts untold. Jesse wasn’t just going to drive away at the end of Breaking Bad. This shows how he disentangled himself. Every other loose end was neatly tied up. Why not this? It also dealt with his PTSD or depicted it at least. As someone who had big problems with the BB finale (and a lot of the back half of series 5), I preferred El Camino.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Stopped with 20 mins left to go toilet. Sad there is only 20 mins left.

Well, there were parts untold. Jesse wasn’t just going to drive away at the end of Breaking Bad. This shows how he disentangled himself. Every other loose end was neatly tied up. Why not this? It also dealt with his PTSD or depicted it at least. As someone who had big problems with the BB finale (and a lot of the back half of series 5), I preferred El Camino.

Well by that logic, there are still parts untold. Why not make another film next year showing what happens when he makes it to Haines? Does he buy a house in the woods. Become a lumberjack? Enrol in college and get that Business and Marketing degree? If any of it was important it would have been in Breaking Bad. He was free at the end of BB, that's all we needed to know. Nothing in El Camino added to his character or signficantly to his story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Loved it, but would I watch it again? Probably not.

Well by that logic, there are still parts untold. Why not make another film next year showing what happens when he makes it to Haines? Does he buy a house in the woods. Become a lumberjack? Enrol in college and get that Business and Marketing degree? If any of it was important it would have been in Breaking Bad. He was free at the end of BB, that's all we needed to know. Nothing in El Camino added to his character or signficantly to his story.

Speak for yourself. :)

I wasn’t anticipating this film and only heard about it very recently but I was pleasantly surprised. I really enjoyed it. Much more than the BB finale actually. Does his character need to be “added to” for it to be enjoyable? It’s an epilogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

There were many parts of BB that were also pointless, this just sits alongside them. Why must there be a point, or why does it have to be something that we "need to know"? Can't something just be a self-contained story or an extension of one for the purpose of entertainment?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Could take it or leave it to be honest, wasn't as mighty as I hoped. Nice to see cranston though

There were many parts of BB that were also pointless, this just sits alongside them. Why must there be a point, or why does it have to be something that we "need to know"? Can't something just be a self-contained story or an extension of one for the purpose of entertainment?

Yes, as Martin Scorsese might say, those things are theme parks. Enjoyable but pointless like a Marvel film.
    BB was never that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

A very long episode of BB but all the same it was brilliant to watch, camera work was the same as the series which was cool and made it breaking bad. If you never seen BB this would look like an indie flick on low budget. *spoiler* bringing walt back in the flashbacks at the end was pretty cool. I felt this was the right amount Walt that needed to be in it. All in all, 7.5 out of 10 but at the same time how do you make a movie out of an already brilliant series. Gilligan done a good job. Not much he could do here to be honest and glad he didn’t ruin it. Probably a money making racket for Netflix (pessimist much)

My only gripe was skinny and badger should have been in it more. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Nothing is a one off these days. Bet it leaves more loose ends than it ties up

Well...what do you reckon? Charity bet still on? Leave it up to the rest of the contributors on the thread?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I really enjoyed it. A solid 8/10 for me.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Was grand, good I suppose but only for fans as a standalone movie it wouldn’t be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Just finished it. I enjoyed it and wouldn't give it a rating as a movie because it's just a breaking bad episode, a long one. As per all his stuff, it was tight storytelling, great acting and tense scenes.

Loved the Todd stuff with him singing and looking for the toot from the truck. Great actor that guy. Totally nuts
    Great shootout scene in the welders.

. Great stuff that couldn't have been any better really.

• Advertisement

Yeah shootout scene was quality, what a real handgun shootout would look like

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭De Bhál

BDI wrote: »
    Yeah shootout scene was quality, what a real handgun shootout would look like

Had to laugh at the guy hiding behind the steel column with the tray of coke

De Bhál wrote: »
    Had to laugh at the guy hiding behind the steel column with the tray of coke

Absolutely, and it shows if you have been around the mad stuff in real life there is always one or two mad chaps then a load of lads who pretend to be mad by association. Fellas working 40 hour weeks but bragging how they hang around with a drug dealer on weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

What happened to Todd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    What happened to Todd

He died in BB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭robwen

I had to Google Brock Cantillo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I enjoyed it, probably 7.5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

robwen wrote: »
    I had to Google Brock Cantillo

I was just about to and then it clicked !

I was pleasantly surprised at how good this was

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,363 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Advertisement