Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie [Netflix] - *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Tommy Hillfinger !! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,327 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

people's impressions ?, obviously please use the spoiler tag if mentioning any. Will watch it tonight all going well

• Registered Users Posts: 15,227 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

The Andrea flashback was unnecessary. My heart broke all over again :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

2smiggy wrote: »
    people's impressions ?, obviously please use the spoiler tag if mentioning any. Will watch it tonight all going well

Again, stay out of here if you don't want to know anything until you've watched...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Wasn't sure they'd do it, but glad they confirmed the longstanding theory that...

SPOILER!!!
    Walt WAS Heisenberg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

I thought it was ok. Not spectacular but also not crap

I think Vince Gilligan's strong point and also weakness is how he leaves no loose ends. To the degree that he goes into detail about parts of a story that don't need to be told. Jesse getting the money together could have been a footnote, instead we have a film around that entire plot point. Reminds me of how drawn out building the lab is in Better Call Saul.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Loved it. Just the right amount of everything. Nice to spend time with these characters again and didn't just feel like fan service.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Ironicname wrote: »
    I thought it was ok. Not spectacular but also not crap

Same, it's not bad but even after viewing it I feel it wasn't entirely necessary to wrap up Jesse's story either. I think if people ask me about Breaking Bad & what to watch in the future I can't say El Camino is absolutely recommended viewing unless Jesse was your favourite character. The series had already provided the closing narrative for so many characters, most don't or can't even appear in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

When all the trailers were coming out I was asking a friend if he knew if Gilligan had any history of having trailers which are not in the actual film, as I had heard it was a thing these days. Pete in the police station did not happen, were there any others?

I had a laugh at this
    https://i.imgur.com/RYbAOW6.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Just finished watching it. I think I may have over done it with how good it would be. I was good, but not great. I'm saying that as a BB fan too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Sad to see how fat and old Todd had gotten. Jessie still looked roughly the same age but time hasn't been kind to poor Fat Damon

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I think Vince Gilligan's strong point and also weakness is how he leaves no loose ends. To the degree that he goes into detail about parts of a story that don't need to be told. Jesse getting the money together could have been a footnote, instead we have a film around that entire plot point. Reminds me of how drawn out building the lab is in Better Call Saul.

He was recouping his freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I liked it, and it was driven by a strong performance from Paul. Having said that it felt how fan fiction would have written Jesse's post BB sunset. All in all however very much a must see for BB fans.

Don't read if you haven't watched El Camino -
    I loved Jesse's Walter White-isms that worked to middling degrees. They were both hilarious and surprisingly gut wrenching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

It was...fine.

A solid 7. Take out the flashbacks and it was an average movie about a lad on the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,512 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Sad to see how fat and old Todd had gotten. Jessie still looked roughly the same age but time hasn't been kind to poor Fat Damon

I thought he got killed off on the season 5 finale by Jesse.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I thought he got killed off on the season 5 finale by Jesse.

Do you like flashbacks? Well then you'll love this.

Most interesting parts were with Todd. A lot of tension whenever he was on screen. He's a very creepy character.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,459 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It was decent.
    But I will be honest, it just felt like a two hour advert or trailer for an upcoming 'Jesse Pinkman series'.
    The use of cameras was great in it. There were of course was a drawn out montage and a part where Jesse 'did a Chuck' from BCS tearing the house apart.
    It was clever in how it was tied together but it just felt unnecessary -
    He drives away in the end again - but this time he has made up with his parents - while stealing thier guns. Apparently he is going to do Sports Science in Alaska now...

There are some nice attentions to detail where we see Todd more worried about his belt than the dead body it is tied around. We also see the small globe thing with a representation of Todd and Lydia inside.
    The markings of Jesse's height from 1992 in his parents house was a nice touch.
    Also the Kandy welding fella was like a mini-Walt he lost everything through greed and ego.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,459 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I figured it was because Aaron Paul was still method acting being on the run for the last 6 years, waking in cold sweats.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Todd's weight gain ruined th flashbacks for me

Hard to believe it was the same time/place as season 5 with such continuity errors

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Loved it... 9/10.... it had everything that is great about Breaking bad and better call Saul....I was never even that big a Jesse fan.... music, cinematography, atmosphere, acting, casting all great.... and Todd’s scene were the best of the film, a complete psychopath... was the gun in the glove compartment even loaded ???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

as a movie felt more like an episode as time flew by watching it, thou feels a bit to late, ok as a fan to watch but otherwise not much to write about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,742 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Found it slow burning, was good not great. Nice send off to Jessie but felt more like an episode than a film maybe a mini series would have been better

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Thought it was fine, for me it’s just a footnote to the actual series

It’s not like JK Rowling adding things on once the big thing is finished

Worth a watch but nothing spectacular, bits like blowing up the factory were a bit pointless and done to make it more “movie”

Very much enjoyed it, strong in its own right, without necessarily being up there amazing.

Badger and Skinny Pete haven't changed in their dynamic and antics. The latter's hat came in handy. The cage, the PTSD and a strong reminder of why Todd needed murdering in the first place. The dead cleaner, the 'dammit, forgot my belt' followed by the casual soup talk and the wallop of the body hitting the ground later, jeez. They have these things now, banks. :pac: His car was pretty much a hearse, tbh. Loved the shot of Jesse when he said he wasn't a cop killer. Nice assertiveness.

There was a street sign Holly Ave/Drive, iirc. BB nod there. Robert Forster was cool as a cucumber, stuck to his guns 'you made your own luck', pretty much stole that scene. Back to the welding prick, key aspect of BB was always that straight in the eye negotiation - with a fair dollop of ego in the mix. Liked the shoot out. The guy with the tray of coke. :D I almost forgot about the bag money after that went down.

And back at the diner, it's Professor Pinkman, if you please. Wonder if he got any work done in the compartment in the van.

But mostly - FU Dyson, FU.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

gwalk wrote: »
    Todd's weight gain ruined th flashbacks for me
    Yeah, as he was in it so much you would think they would have asked him to lose weight. You see lads like Phoenix in Joker or Christian Bale in the machinist losing serious weight, he only had to lose a stone or 2 and get to a healthy weight.

I remember laughing at him singing along to the song in the car and doing the "blow the horn" motion to the passing truck.

The "cleaner guy" was infuriating, jaysus give the chap a discount!! you had to do fcuk all for the original job he wanted money for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Oat23 wrote: »
    The Andrea flashback was unnecessary. My heart broke all over again :(

Andrea didn’t feature (apart from the photo). Do you mean Jane?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,017 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Enjoyed it, easy enough viewing. It was grand like, more like a long episode. About what I expected, I was excited as a BB fan to see another chapter but really as part of the story it was a bit unnecessary. A solid 7 out of 10 I'd give it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

It was very well done. Nicely observed and excellent acting. Utterly pointless though of course.

Advertisement