Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie [Netflix] - *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

How is Jesse Plemons throwing it into Kirsten Dunst? Yes, I’m shallow.

He has the real her trapped on a virtual spaceship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I wonder if Plemons had put weight on for some other role?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

He's been a fat bloater for years. He looked even bigger in Fargo.

Apparently he put it on for his role in Fargo season 2, and just didn't lose it in the aftermath.

But hey, he worked with Kirsten Dunst on Fargo, so that's probably where they hooked up. Jesse wouldn't be the first man to let himself go a little once he found a good woman.

(Posted while I bathe myself in butter)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Yup. Specifically breakfast rolls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

How is Jesse Plemons throwing it into Kirsten Dunst? Yes, I’m shallow.
    apparently he is a great cook and she is hooked on it, banging out 97% these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Anyone else notice Walt’s big bulbous head? Clearly some sort of bald cap because he wasn’t going shaving his head for one scene.

Yep, first thing I said to my wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    The fella who plays Todd is only 31. I thought he was about 50. Put on some load of weight.

He was also in Friday Night Lights. Having known him from that excellent series it took some getting used to seeing him as Todd in BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I didn't notice it, saw it in the credits -the makeup people who did it.

interesting comment on reddit
    Noticed it, but it’s understandable.

Cranston probably didn’t want to shave his head again; either for personal reasons or because it would be a dead giveaway of his involvement in the movie.

also saw this on reddit!
    ePQlo1G.jpg

"Look at that big bulbous head"???

Good night I take it? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

Didn't find it great to be honest, wasn't expecting a lot of action or anything but a bit more substance. Jesse searching the apartment for money was mind bogglingly boring, there was a good few scenes like this. Was surprised to see Vince Gilligan's name rolling off at the end.

6/10 for me

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The fella who plays Todd is only 31. I thought he was about 50. Put on some load of weight.

All that soup I assume....

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

peddlelies wrote: »
    Didn't find it great to be honest, wasn't expecting a lot of action or anything but a bit more substance. Jesse searching the apartment for money was mind bogglingly boring, there was a good few scenes like this. Was surprised to see Vince Gilligan's name rolling off at the end.

6/10 for me

6/10, I think you're being very generous.

Watched it last night. It was lazily written and mind numbingly boring

3/10 (and I feel I'm being generous).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Thought it was awful turned it off after an hour and that was ten mins too long

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

To the people giving 3/10,6/10 and turning it off after an hour. Can you please explain what you were wanting or expecting?

Apparently there was a reason for it a few years ago Jesse Plemons (who plays Todd) had to gain weight for a film called Black Mass.

https://manofmany.com/entertainment/jesse-plemons-transformed-black-mass

So he used to be even fatter then.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

This reminded me a little of 'Toy Story 4'. Both were epilogue pieces to a main story arc that was finished but added a little bit of character closure. Neither as good as what had gone before but, independent of that, still both enjoyable.

He's been a fat bloater for years. He looked even bigger in Fargo.
    Apparently he put it on for his role in Fargo season 2, and just didn't lose it in the aftermath.

But hey, he worked with Kirsten Dunst on Fargo, so that's probably where they hooked up. Jesse wouldn't be the first man to let himself go a little once he found a good woman.

Apparently there was a reason for it a few years ago Jesse Plemons (who plays Todd) had to gain weight for a film called Black Mass.

So he used to be even fatter then.

To be honest, no judgement here then. The aggressive weight loss and weight gain actors have to sometimes engage in always seems so tough to me and some people might find it harder than others to get back to a healthy weight afterwards. Plemons never was a heartthrob so there’d be less pressure on him to get back to fighting weight than other actors.

Still, it was unfortunately very jarring in El Camino. That was a LOT of extra weight. I’d say Plemons is devising a weight loss plan right about now. Can’t be easy to read all the comments about your appearance! :eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Watched it last night and only catching up with all the online talk about it now. I enjoyed it. Never expected anything more from BB really so was great to get something like this to tie up the Jesse's story.

Re: Jesse Plemon's weight, I didn't find it in anyway distracting. I noticed it, but couldn't really care tbh. He still had the creepy Todd vibe. I actually can't believe he is being body shamed online for it though. People need to find better ways to spend their time online.

Yakult wrote: »
    Watched it last night and only catching up with all the online talk about it now. I enjoyed it. Never expected anything more from BB really so was great to get something like this to tie up the Jesse's story.

Re: Jesse Plemon's weight, I didn't find it in anyway distracting. I noticed it, but couldn't really care tbh. He still had the creepy Todd vibe. I actually can't believe he is being body shamed online for it though. People need to find better ways to spend their time online.

It was distracting to me because this was supposed to be happening during the Series 5 time period and he looked markedly different, far more so than an other character. Body-shaming, really? Does everything need a label now? It pulled me and others (going by reviews and messageboards) out of the show. It’s going to be commented upon if it has an impact on the show.

If you’ve never made a disparaging comment about somebody’s appearance in your life, you’d be unusual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Joekers

There was no need to make this film. Did I enjoy it yes as did most who enjoyed BB I assume but tbh it felt like 3 decent episodes crammed into 2 hours with nothing significant happening in all that time.

Aaron Paul needs to get himself s good agent and start making good movies cause he can act but just needs the right roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,500 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Joekers wrote: »
    There was no need to make this film. Did I enjoy it yes as did most who enjoyed BB I assume but tbh it felt like 3 decent episodes crammed into 2 hours with nothing significant happening in all that time.

Aaron Paul needs to get himself s good agent and start making good movies cause he can act but just needs the right roles.

He was great in The Path and is in the new season of WestWorld I think he is doing great for himself not all actors are movie actors he suits being on TV and in series for me than on the big screen right now in his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Nice username btw, I assume you are a big fan of The Stand ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Thought this was utter tripe altogether. Boring, pointless, and an answer to a question no one was asking.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

So Badger and Skinny Pete, they're a successful couple who have finally settled down now, right?

Two blithering idiots who could hardly string a coherent sentence together are now living together in suburban bliss? A nice home, thousands of dollars of cash in their pockets. All the trappings of a happy and normal life.

There was more stretch in that storyline than in Todds waistband.

Yakult wrote:
    I actually can't believe he is being body shamed online for it though. People need to find better ways to spend their time online.

Oh FFS. Get a grip. Noticing that a character is well over 2 stone heavier than he should be according to the films timeline is hardly Body Shaming.

Even your " I noticed the weight gain, but it doesn't matter to me" reeks of faux superiority.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

I really like this, it was exactly what I expected and hoped for... closure for the Jesse Pinkman character (I always wondered where he drove to when leaving the compound in the finale).

More like an extended episode than a movie. Good to see the old characters pop up (noticed WW's bald cap straight away it made his head look huge!!). The character of Todd has to be one of TV's most creepy characters of all time. So cold blooded, more interested in his belt than the body lying on his kitchen floor. Who cares if the actor is a couple of stone heavier!

Hopefully that is that when it comes to Jesse's character and he doesn't make any further appearances anywhere down the line.

Solid 7/10 from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Tabnabs wrote: »
    So Badger and Skinny Pete, they're a successful couple who have finally settled down now, right?

Two blithering idiots who could hardly string a coherent sentence together are now living together in suburban bliss? A nice home, thousands of dollars of cash in their pockets. All the trappings of a happy and normal life.

There was more stretch in that storyline than in Todds waistband.

They made a load of money when they were dealing for Walt and Jess back in Season 2. Then Walt paid them to help threaten the Grey Matter couple, so they got a good bit of money out of that (but it only would have been a day or two between them getting that money and Jesse escaping from the compound and coming to Pete's house).

That said, the house and their cars were still fairly basic, and I think Badger was only hanging out at Skinny Pete's house, they're probably not living together. I didn't see any of that as being a stretch of any kind. They regularly did the same with Jesse in the previous seasons.

Yakult wrote: »

Ah Jayus, you couldn't not notice it!
    These type of comments like yours are annoying.
    If a person got ripped and toned since you last saw them in role, are you only allowed to comment on it then?
    The fact the fella gained a noticeable amount of weight you are supposed to delude yourself it did not happen?
    Particulary in light of the fact BB is supposed to be in 2013 still and the viewer trys to buy into that.
    As I said in an earlier post it turns out he had to gain a lot of weight for a film called black mass in 2015.
    He still carried some of the weight through to Fargo 2016.

The bit I thought that was very telling was the final paragraph from the article above -

--

Of course, while doing press for Fargo it seemed the reporters were again mostly interested in his figure. In the same GQ interview, Plemons said, “It carried over to Fargo, too. And I had lost a little bit of weight at the Fargo premiere, and I remember this guy, like, ‘What’s your secret to losing the weight? Tell us!’ I was like, ‘Well, I was eating everything, and then I just stopped eating terrible food.’ It’s not too complicated.”

--

I found this very honest and refreshing as it just showed it is all about mindset and putting a bit of effort in. Your type of mindset about 'body shaming' and pretending not to notice does no-one any good.

It gives people an excuse to play the victim. And not only that it allows a certain hardcore subset to collude in the delusion that that they are healthy and 'proud'. Even if they are obese. 'Fat pride' etc. I know that is the other end of the spectrum but that is what it leads to. And that mindset is not healthy.
    In reality is as simple as eating the right foods, getting exercise - eating in moderation - routine.
    People feel better if they exercise - get the endorphins and blood going.

If anyone does this properly for 3 months they will see benefits physical and mental - unfortunately many people do not even have the will to do that. It is much easier for them to fall back on excuses like it is harder for x or harder for y. Or the 'I am proud of the way I look' - when they are clearly not. The 'body shaming' shtick feeds into this mindset.

The phrase 'body shaming' is a nice phrase, but it is one where many unfortunately try and hide behind, rather than try and solve thier weight issues.
    Anyone can exercise and eat properly/better regardless of race, creed, gender, orientation, or ability/disability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

I was having a look to see how far Albuquerque New Mexico is away from Haines Alaska.

It is 2937 miles.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Albuquerque,+NM,+USA/Haines,+AK,+USA/@49.7534149,-133.1341872,3.88z

Ed Galbraith, 'the vacuum repairman' mentions when they were in Alaska that" it is 40 miles in that direction to Haines"

So I had a look at the Map near the Canada-American border in British Colombia the nearest town is a place called Pleasant Camp.

After Pleasant Camp I looked for a place that is about 40 miles from Haines on the Haines Highway across the border in Alaska.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Haines,+AK,+USA/''/@59.4172096,-136.553024,10z/data=!4m12!4m11!1m5!1m1!1s0x54001f972851b98d:0xb4f19a60eafd118e!2m2!1d-135.445!2d59.2358333!1m3!2m2!1d-136.3583565!2d59.4497435!3e0

hmqmIDJ.png

Nice Neighbourhood, Jessie will fit right in

Advertisement