Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie [Netflix] - *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Jon Old-fashioned Roadblock

Whoever wrote that was determined to not like it. 1 star out of 5?

sounded like a Jennifer Gannon esque review on the Last Word...probably scarred that there wasnt a diverse enough cast or lack of Transgender characters

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭El Duda

El Camino - 5.5/10

Beautiful looking but bang average by Vince Gilligan's high standards. My enjoyment dipped during most flashbacks. There was one in particular that involved character choices that aggravated me, if that was the intention, fair enough but I found it contrived.

Some of the 'new' stuff was fairly strong and it's nice to see Jesse Pinkman get some closure but it simply wasn't needed.

Sad to see the news about Robert Forster. He was excellent in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

So, where would I have liked it to go? Well Hank and Steve deserved a proper funeral. What happened to the money Walt gave to the Grey Matter couple?(he's actually English, have seen him in other stuff). AND.......

one day at dinner in the last year or two, I threw out the possibility of Walt not actually being dead. "hey, I haven't finished BB yet!" . Whoops! Well, he definitely is now. One of the TV reports in the background refers to his death.

Well Hank and Steve would have died 2-3 months before, same time Jesse was first taken by the Nazis, so there was no real reason to have seen their funerals as Jesse wouldn't have been there. As for the Grey Matter couple, Walt made sure they'd hold on to the money and then give it to Walt Jr if I remember right (lie and make it some sort of scholarship or trust fund thing so it doesn't look like it came from Walt). Given they thought they'd be killed by hitmen if they didn't go through with it, I'd say they probably complied. They wouldn't have needed to keep the money themselves and going to the cops would have ruined their lives as if they really believed there were hitmen watching them, they'd be put in witness protection and lose the cushy life they had. Giving the money to Walt Jr would have been the best option for them.

But I really don't see how anyone could think Walt was still alive after the BB finale. His death in the lab was the perfect coda to everything, and the last shot is a long shot where he's lying on the ground after being shot in the side and his eyes are open throughout. He didn't want a plan to survive as he knew he was dying anyway with the cancer. Going to the Nazi's compound at all was his last chance at revenge and putting things right (even more so when he saw what they were doing to Jesse). He wouldn't have come up with a plan to fake his death. Death was coming for him regardless. I would have been majorly p*ssed off if it was revealed in El Camino that he somehow survived or faked his death.

Probably one of the best compliments I can give El Camino is that it resisted the urge to retcon or undo anything. Mike, Jane and Walt's scenes were all really well done and could easily be slipped into the middle of the episodes from that timeframe. There were enough references to characters and events that happened without being over-indulgent. El Camino is definitely part of a whole, but it also stands well enough on its own to be enjoyable.

It still didn't really need to be made though.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Maybe breaking bad just wasn’t as good as I remember..? I was a big fan of the show but thought El Camino was absolute pants!
    Tbh, the BBC review posted up above kind of reminds me of how I felt about late series Breaking Bad.

Which is that once it captured the zeitgiest it started to feel inflated with a sense of it's own importance. You'd get like ten episodes of pointless buildup into a predictable finale with one or two major twists towards the end. Have just like two or three genuinely terrific episodes. Rinse and repeat.

But the first two seasons were genuinely great. How Walt forced this criminal persona to get access to a world that he didn't belong in. How 'Heisenberg' got away from him and turned into this powerful myth, which he then slowly moved into, filling the role and 'actualizing' the "one who knocks". The tension between Walt and Heisenberg is what made it brilliant TV. Once 'Walt' went away so did a lot of the suspense, imo

(Dinner plate scene, best moment of the show. Closely followed by 'this, is not meth')

It always felt like the hype of BB turned what started as an exciting series into a really boring one that was constantly making itself out to be this big, bold thing but was actually fairly ordinary.

This new movie, I couldn't actually finish it. It just felt very flaccid.

(Or maybe I'm just a giant soy boy for not liking it, according to some other posters on here? LOL!:pac:)

I did like what I saw of BCS tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Todd aged like that as soon as breaking bad ended. He is in Fargo season two playing a big fat baker or butcher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Yeah, Jesse Plemons has been fairly hefty for a while

I was more thrown by Mike calling Jesse, played by a 40 year old man, a teenager...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Jesse Plemons shocked me with his size. Outside of that it was ok, and I thought the scene in the welding factory was all wrong for Jesse, he was never a proper killer and to pop two like that, nah, not buying Jesse Pinkman killing for money no matter how desperate he is

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

The best part was that the ending led straight into Breaking Bad and now it looks like I'm rewatching it for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Whoever wrote that was determined to not like it. 1 star out of 5?
    this is like those sad IMDB trolls, who are effectively trying to steal votes by giving films 1 star. They probably think it is 5/10 but as there are so many high scores they get annoyed and so give 1 star to bump the average down, some of these tools openly say they are doing it for that reason and sometime even do give their real score in comments.

I looked on IMDB early enough yesterday and there were about 10 1 star reviews and then it suddenly jumped to 5 stars. 1 person saying they hated the tv show, so why the hell would you even watch the film?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Btw, the Junkyard guy - Joe, he was sweeping the car for bugs and then it went off, so he legged it ... how come the car was bugged ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Maximus277

I thought it was very good.

7.5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Btw, the Junkyard guy - Joe, he was sweeping the car for bugs and then it went off, so he legged it ... how come the car was bugged ?

The car had been previously stolen with LoJack in situ??

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Wasn't a bug. He called it Lojack, which is an anti-theft tracking device. People install it on their own cars so if it's stolen the police can track it. Todd might have had it on the car himself, but the police activated it because they knew Jesse took the car. That's why Joe's sensor didn't go off straight away. It only went off right when the police activated the tracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Felt a bit like the Entourage movie for me, what's the point? The best scenes were with Skinny and Badger at the start but so much time was devoted to the creepy scenes with Todd. Maybe im just a miserable prick haha

• Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

golfball37 wrote: »
    It has a rating of 10 on IMDB with almost 500 votes cast so far !

Tis grand. Entertaining.

A 10? Nah.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Where was it ever confirmed that Walter died?:confused:

I'll be out back eating my words :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

That was entertaining. Like a bonus episode of BB, we know what happened Walt and now we know what happened Jessie, lovely to get an ending for Jessie. Solidly entertaining, funny in parts, nicely shot.

Enjoyable/10

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

And now I get to read the reviews.

1/10s
    10/10s

Yeah I’m out. Absolute toxicity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

A 2hr episode with Jessie trying twice to get a few quid together to get out of the country.
    Nothing wrong with it as such, but should have been a 30min epilogue.

Edit: out of the country, into Canada, then into Alaska.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Peatys wrote: »
    A 2hr episode with Jessie trying twice to get a few quid together to get out of the country.
    Nothing wrong with it as such, but should have been a 30min epilogue.

Alaska is not out if the country, it's a state in America

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Likeabossboss

A 5 out of 10 for me. Just don’t get how easily Jesse shot the two guys giving his character in breaking bad, a lot of coincidences in it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

The best part was that the ending led straight into Breaking Bad and now it looks like I'm rewatching it for the weekend.

The first half hour or so I kept trying to remember the whole thing with Todd. And I was going to stop and rewatch last part of BB to recap before continuing. But I didn’t. I’ll do that tomorrow :D might have t start at S1 all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭El Duda

The scene near the end with Jane's grandmother was a bit strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

A 5 out of 10 for me. Just don’t get how easily Jesse shot the two guys giving his character in breaking bad, a lot of coincidences in it as well.

Was he to just stand there and let the guy shoot him instead? plus this is a guy who was brutally tortured, witnessed the cold blooded murder of a girl that he loves and the threats against her son, plus the welding guy was friends with the Nazis. You go through all that and it changes you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Penn wrote: »
    Well Hank and Steve would have died 2-3 months before, same time Jesse was first taken by the Nazis, so there was no real reason to have seen their funerals as Jesse wouldn't have been there. As for the Grey Matter couple, Walt made sure they'd hold on to the money and then give it to Walt Jr if I remember right (lie and make it some sort of scholarship or trust fund thing so it doesn't look like it came from Walt). Given they thought they'd be killed by hitmen if they didn't go through with it, I'd say they probably complied. They wouldn't have needed to keep the money themselves and going to the cops would have ruined their lives as if they really believed there were hitmen watching them, they'd be put in witness protection and lose the cushy life they had. Giving the money to Walt Jr would have been the best option for them.

But I really don't see how anyone could think Walt was still alive after the BB finale. His death in the lab was the perfect coda to everything, and the last shot is a long shot where he's lying on the ground after being shot in the side and his eyes are open throughout. He didn't want a plan to survive as he knew he was dying anyway with the cancer. Going to the Nazi's compound at all was his last chance at revenge and putting things right (even more so when he saw what they were doing to Jesse). He wouldn't have come up with a plan to fake his death. Death was coming for him regardless. I would have been majorly p*ssed off if it was revealed in El Camino that he somehow survived or faked his death.

Probably one of the best compliments I can give El Camino is that it resisted the urge to retcon or undo anything. Mike, Jane and Walt's scenes were all really well done and could easily be slipped into the middle of the episodes from that timeframe. There were enough references to characters and events that happened without being over-indulgent. El Camino is definitely part of a whole, but it also stands well enough on its own to be enjoyable.

It still didn't really need to be made though.

I think your reply is based on the Jesse story being the only possible story. My point was that I think they could have widened it a bit.

well, to the point about the funerals: In the last episode of BB, Walt gives the coordinates of their grave to Skyler to use as a bargaining chip. Did she use it? Did it help her?

Walt surviving? Why not?? and why not against his will, eg police rescue him and do all in their power to bring him to justice. I don't think Walt was driven by revenge, I think he was driven to make sure that Blue Meth remained the signature product of Walt and Jesse, not hijacked by the Nazis.

THe Schwartz's and the money.... sure you could write almost anything to extend that. But it presents a moral dilemma (for the writers). Can the family be allowed to benefit from ill-gotten gains? Can Walt's dream be realised? I suppose it could be argued that, by not including it, the dilemma is avoided:D.

One thing that BB was good for was plot twists.

Of course, as you say it didn't really need to be made, but if making it, I felt they could have got more out of it. I disagree about its ability to stand on its own. I found it hard going at times. Perhaps I was expecting too much. I would rather know how Walt Junior, Holly and Marie Schrader fare, with them being totally innocent victims of Walts enterprise, than see what happened to Jesse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

El Duda wrote: »
    The scene near the end with Jane's grandmother was a bit strange.

hahaha. I thought she looked great for a granny.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

While I thought the film is worth a watch I was later remembering that we missed this years BCS because of it and would have much preferred to have had it, and the film come next year.
    I was more thrown by Mike calling Jesse, played by a 40 year old man, a teenager...
    I thought that was odd, but must be a figure of speech, him exagerrating him being relatively young. An old guy I know would call guys in their late 30s "kid"
    How about you, teenage retiree?
    You'll be living the dream.

Read more: https://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/movie_script.php?movie=el-camino-a-breaking-bad-movie

Jesse is 25 at the end of BB, this is not an estimate like some characters, his birthday is known.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bigboldworld

Loved the original show but was disappointed with this, jessie still a great character but the storyline for el camino was weak, still bb goes down as of the one greatest tv shows of all time and will be remembered as such.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Mr.S wrote: »

Two things stuck out:

Jessies very white teeth about being a slave for X months
    and Todds weight gain ;)

Hah! Same for us

All this just reminds me though, I miss Breaking Bad.

When you see Bryan Cranston, he just stepped right back into the role. I was right back there at stages.

Simple things like I was full sure the fireplace was where he should be looking, or the tarpoline over Jessie's cage flapping in the wind. The conversation with Todd. All so simple..so subtle. Like Santa Claus, I wish I could go back and have Breaking Bad all new again.

• Advertisement

Kinda reminded me of my 10 year school reunion. Everyone looked the same except slightly rounder.

Advertisement