Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dominance of Dublin GAA *Mod warning post#1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Ive no doubt about all the increased costs that dublin have but they are easily affordable to dublin. They are also nothing to do with with the coaching structures that were funded so no idea how they are relevant to the point I was making?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Wow. There’s so much incorrect here, its hard hard to know where to start.

Dublin have negative economies of scale? You are aware that some Dublin clubs would have more U6s than entire clubs have at all age grades in other counties. I know a local club here operating off 110 juvenile kids. A colleague from Dublin used to talk about their club having 120 U6s training. All of those are paying membership.

Do Dublin really need a centre of excellence given the level of facility available in the county? Again, this can’t be changed and I’m not complaining about it (you brought it up) but counties like my own actually use facilities like Abbotstown which are openly available to Dublin. Then there’s college facilities like DCU too and other gyms too.

Re players gravitating to Dublin. This isn’t nearly as big an issue as it was in the noughties when Dublin clubs actually sought out players from rural counties. St Brigids once had a few Fermanagh lads playing with them and even employed Rory Gallagher as a coach. Na Fianna had McGeeney and others. Also, you do realise nobody is forcing the clubs to accept these players? They have to accept the transfer.

Jack McCaffrey actually said himself one of the huge benefits Dublin have is all their players live locally in general, whereas other counties often have players travelling miles for collective training. Again, I’m not whingeing about this, it can’t be avoided, but it proves how wrong some of what you have said is.

I suppose back in the day we also should have stopped Barry Cahill (parents from Cavan) and Pillar Caffrey (again parents from Cavan) “invading” Dublin? I do believe Dean Rock has lived in Ashbourne most of his life if what I’m told is correct. Is he one of the invading masses?

You talk about economies of scale and then speak about the JP money. You are aware it’s a million per county and not a billion? You’re talking about 1 million, given to clubs I might add and not county boards, making a huge difference at county level. That shows how much you just don’t understand the topic at hand.

Dublin were getting 1 million a year back in the late noughties when it went a lot further. Most club teams have management structures costing up on 20k a year now so the JP money won’t even pay that for a year. Clubs in Cavan are going to get 10k to 15k for example. What difference do you expect that to make at intercounty level in this environment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭gaffer91

Exactly- what people ignore about the centres of excellence is that Dublin already have such facilities. If we want to factor in spending on facilities we'll have to factor in the money the GAA spent on redeveloping Dublin's de facto home ground of Croke Park in the 1990s and 2000s. Once we do, it's clear the financial gap between Dublin and everyone else is even larger than commonly thought. So there are no "diseconomies of scale" as Gael85 falsely claimed. Dublin's population size, status as capital city and funding advantage are enormous advantages over the rest of the country, make no mistake about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Gael85

Apologies, my mistake, it was gormdubhgorm. Sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Cork's Galway's Kerry's Down's etc funding and population advantages over Leitrim Longford Carlow etc are enormous make no mistake about it .

Again what County are you from/support ?

One way, in fact the most important way to help Leitrim, Longford, Carlow etc. is to split Dublin. This will enhance the prestige, integrity and fairness of the All-Ireland competition, which benefits everyone. Other measures then like equalising funding across all counties (or even better, actively favouring disadvantaged teams).

No that wouldn't help Leitrim, Longford Carlow etc ,they would still get hammered by Kerry Galway Cork etc

But sure you've been whinging about Dublin since 2011 on this site with no success ,but please continue tis great crack so it is

Oh wait you havn't answered my question , what County are you from/ support ?

It would absolutely help them. Enhanced integrity, prestige and fairness of the competition means all counties who participate benefit.

No actually they would absolutely not be helped , they would still not be able to compete against Cork , Kerry Galway etc

It would help only a handful of Counties of which your County no doubt is one of

Again you havn't answered my question what County are you from/support ?

• Advertisement

They would be helped because in Dublin's case, their success comes from a combination of unfair advantages. So while discrepancies would persist (only one team can win the All-Ireland after all) at least they would be in the context of a fair competition, unlike at present, where Dublin are uniquely favoured. And teams would rise and fall over the years unlike with the current setup where the deck is stacked exclusively in favour of Dublin.

So that would add interest as the prestige, integrity and fairness is enhanced. Plus we'd have the excitement of intra-Dublin rivalries developing, which would also add to the competition.

Again its not a fair competition ,Leitrim Longford Carlow cant compete with Galway Kerry Cork Down etc , splitting Dublin would only benefit a handful of Counties which no doubt your County is one of , You still refuse to answer my question !! What County are you from /support ?

13 years on here whinging about Dublin , its getting you nowhere its failing miserably !! why not try something different ?

But sure tis great crack so it is 🙄🙄

If we split Dublin, enact funding reforms etc., things will get a lot fairer and better, for everyone. The enhanced integrity and fairness of the competition that will result from splitting Dublin is reason enough to split them. I hate that this has become the best option but unfortunately due to the decades of the unique combination of advantages concentrated into Dublin, nothing else will be enough.

Without splitting Dublin, inter-county is unfortunately just going to fade away.

And once again splitting Dublin will only help a handful of Counties obviously your own County is one of them , which is why you refuse to say which County you are from/support, 13/14 years of wasting your time whinging about splitting Dublin to help your own County , well its not working lol.....but sure tis great crack 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

I would encourage anyone interested in the topic to read the following analysis of why The GAA invest heavily in dublin. I guarantee you will have not have heard this perspective before. Blog was written in 2019.

https://veryintobloggingveryintonewmedia.wordpress.com/2019/07/26/why-the-gaa-invest-so-much-in-dublin-and-why-extending-games-development-funding-is-unlikely-to-bridge-gap-to-dubs/

That's an okay article and I agree with his point about the unfair population advantage massively benefiting Dublin at the expense of everyone else, and how the gap has worsened over the years. But whether the favourtism shown by the GAA to Dublin in terms of Games Development is because of its expected return or just because the GAA wanted to help Dublin at the expense of all other counties, it doesn't really matter- the net result is Dublin uniquely benefited at the expense of everyone else. The article doesn't comment on the funding advantage Dublin get vs other sources too, which is as if not more important.

Kerry Mayo Galway etc have massive funding and want for nothing

Cork has massive population advantage over Leitrim, but you don't care about the weaker smaller Counties, all you care about is weakening Dublin to help your own County who you refuse to reveal , you are fooling no one .

As has been explained to you before, there are differences between stronger counties funding and Leitrim but it's negligible compared to the funding gap between Leitrim and Dublin. There are differences in population but it pales in comparison to the gap between Leitrim and Dublin. It's not just that differences exist, it's the sheer scale of the differences in Dublin's case vs everyone else, plus the fact they have persisted for decades, plus they ALL are relevant in Dublin's case etc. Leaving Dublin as a single team harms Leitrim and Carlow far more than splitting them does as the current unfairness does so much harm to the All-Ireland competition, which Leitrim and Carlow play in.

As has been explained to you before Cork have 16 times the population of Leitrim, Dublin only have 2.5 times the population of Cork , splitting Dublin won't make a blind bit of difference to Leitrim Carlow etc, they still wouldn't be able to compete with Kerry Cork Galway etc , it would only help a handful of Counties of which your County is surely one of , hence you refuse to reveal who your County is . Again your fooling no one with your rediculous 13 year campaign of nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

You are right that Dublin have only 2.5 times the population of Cork, yet between 2007 and 2021 Dublin recieved on average 1.48m a year, compared to the next best funded county (Cork) who received just 0.19m pa

• Advertisement

No campaign, we're just having a friendly discussion.

Why do you keep focusing on relative populations? Absolute populations are more important and there the gap between Dublin and Cork (which is also a population outlier) is larger than the gap between Cork and Leitrim (which is an outlier in terms of its small size), providing more evidence that Dublin alone should be split. Even using relative populations, Dublin is over twice as big population-wise as Cork is vs Leitrim; if you're using Leitrim as the comparison, to do a fair one you should compare both counties to Leitrim and not Cork to Leitrim and Dublin to Cork.

And then combine this population advantage with the funding advantage, playing at home, the fact that this has persisted for decades and it's obvious how unfair the status quo is and how Dublin alone have uniquely benefited.

And then factor in Irish government funding, sponsorship funding, massive population advantage...

Cork has massive population advantage over Leitrim, Cork Kerry Mayo Galway etc have sponsorship funding and want for nothing

It's not a patch on Dublin's population or funding advantage. Scale, nature and combination of Dublin's matters. That's why Dublin alone should be split.

A splitting Dublin will only help a handful of Counties of which your own is no doubt one of .

Why wont you reveal which County you are from?

Cork Kerry Galway Mayo , have plenty of funding and want for nothing, Splitting Dublin would only help a handful of Counties

Which County are you from ?

it is a campaign a 13 year one , by you 🙄

Why won't you reveal what County you are from ?

A friendly discussion ? jesus wept 🙄 its a 13 year obsession with you !!

Splitting Dublin helps all counties so if I support the GAA and am from any county in Ireland, especially Dublin, I benefit.

• Advertisement

`

See my previous post for why only Dublin alone should be split. It's due to the nature, scale, combination and duration of advantages that exist only in Dublin's case. Other differences between counties pale in comparison.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement