Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dominance of Dublin GAA *Mod warning post#1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭MrRigsby

Let’s split Ireland’s rugby team into 4 provinces so Italy’s team of no hopers can win a 6 (or is it 9 ) nations while we’re at it . God forbid other counties could just try to match Dublins level. No it’s much easier to whine and make excuses . Mayo were given a tonne of money a while back by an America based millionaire benefactor and what difference did it make ? Nothing. As far as I remember he ended up looking for a refund

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭gaffer91

Well Ireland aren't uniquely unfairly advantaged relative to every other team in the Six Nations. This is not the case for Dublin in the All-Ireland- they are uniquely advantaged in terms of population, funding, playing at home etc.- It's not just about successes, it's about the unfair inputs that Dublin achieve those successes. If they won fairly, or a Dublin divisional team won fairly, I wouldn't mind. Sadly, that is not the case with the current Dublin team. Even if Dublin don't win every year, they are still unfairly advantaged.

There's nothing partisan about wanting what is best for all counties, including Dublin. Partisanship would be if I just wanted what I perceived what is best for my own team, and to hell with everyone this. This is the position of many Dublin supporters, although I think a lot of Dublin supporters who GAA men first, and Dublin supporters second, agree they are unfairly advantaged and would favour a split. So there is no contradictions or hypocrisy- as Dublin are the only county uniquely unfairly advantaged in terms of population, funding etc., I focus on them. And as they are the only county uniquely unfairly advantaged, they are the only county who should be split.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭NJSC1980

Therefore England and France need to be split up? They do have massive financial and population advantages afterall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Again Dublin Cork Kerry Galway Down Derry Antrim etc are unfairly advantaged in terms of population and funding compared to Leitrim Longford Carlow etc , sadly your blinded to this , gladly your 10+ years of whinging on this site is going nowhere ,but please continue tis great crack

• Advertisement

Again what a load of nonsense , in nearly 50 years supporting Dublin Gaa , i have never met 0ne supporter who would support a split

Again a Dublin split will only help a handful of Counties " which no doubt your County is one of " so yea its all about helping your own County

Which you refuse to reveal , all these years whinging and still no split for Dublin 😁 but please continue on tis great crack

27-12-2014 11:56am#1

gaffer91

Registered Users

✭✭✭

Bit early yes, but always interesting to have a look back on these threads at the end of the season.

I'd personally back Dublin for both. Despite Kerry's victory I would view them as a good team but not a great one, and I don't see them going on to dominate as they did in the 2000s. I think Donegal and Mayo will find it tough to be as competitive after losing McGuinness and Horan and I also simply don't think they're as good a team, and have as good players, as Dublin.

"""""I don't see Dublin losing to anyone in the manner they lost to Donegal in 2014. Throw in their massive unfair population and funding advantage they have over the rest of the country, as well as the advantage they get from playing in Croke Park,""""""""" and it's tough to see past them.

12 years on and this lad still posting the exact same nonsense , oh the bitterness you can just taste it .🤣😂

I rarely watch rugby tbh. Do England and France have massive financial advantages? But I can answer your question by saying that from my fairly basic knowledge, France or England don't enjoy the unique combination, nature, scale and duration of unfair advantages that Dublin have enjoyed and continue to enjoy (for instance, France and England don't play their important games at home, all world cup finals and semi-finals and so on). As I've said before, it's not just one unfair advantage by itself that is so harmful to the GAA, it's the fact they all exist together, are in such critical areas, are so sizeable both in absolute terms and compared to other counties, have persisted for decades etc. So I definitely agree with splitting Dublin but I can't really comment on rugby teams.

Again Croke park is in Dublin , as i have said before .That's were important GAA matches are held , no point in whinging here for 12+ years

Who are you agreeing with Colm o'rourke ? lol.... and once again splitting Dublin would only help a handful of Counties your own included no doubt

Wait you still havn't said who your own County is , please do .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Just saw the headline on RTE News channel Micko giving his pronouncement on Gaelic Football. Kerry and Dublin dominating and the rest behind.

--

"For all that however, "the game of football is not far from being perfect at the moment from a technical level".

Yet the main issue highlighted was around the overall competitive landscape, or more to the point, the lack of one.

It had been six years since a team outside of Kerry or Dublin lifted Sam, with three of the previous four finals featuring those two sides."

--

But I would argue that view is very myopic. It has been shown in the league that the standard of football has been lifted overall. Plus Tyrone have a great side but downed tools after the one Sam win, plus Mayo again have proven that they have a good side but don't have it between the ears. Galway seemed to implode - both Comer and Walsh did not perform when it mattered.

I believe last season was one that other counties feel like they let it slip, it was one of the most open championships for a long time. Dublin limped along and only changed when Farrell changed starting personnel drastically.

If I was from Galway and Mayo in particular I would have major regrets about the season.

Edit - regrets not rejects. Maybe I was thinking of rejects!

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

Dublin’s home is Parnell Park . Croke Park isn’t a home advantage. Most of the population play other sports unlike other counties where it’s GAA or nothing . Funding doesn’t make winners . Meath for example have a fabulous training facility near Navan and their team are useless. They had nothing close to it when they were winning All Irelands

Be honest . It’s about bitter culchies who can’t bear to see Dublin winning. I haven’t heard anyone wanting to split Limerick for “what is best for the GAA” . Dublin will never be split because our fans wouldn’t tolerate it for a second and we bring in the most money to the GAA in sponsorship , gate receipts , merchandising etc . He who pays the piper calls the tune

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Any Dubs have any details on your team that played Cavan recently in a challenge? Apparently ye had a strong enough team out with 6/7 regular starters - according to someone on the Cavan thread anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

If you look through the perspective of decades of being the only county to receive special treatment then calls for a little bit of equality would seem like an anti Dublin bias alright

"Funding doesn't make winners" - it surely doesn't, but it does, for example, put full time professional coaches in almost every club in the county. They would go a long way to creating winners 🏆

Nothing stopping other counties upping their coaching standards. Plenty of money around. Dublin are reaping the benefits of smart decisions made by smart people years ago after some very lean years . Mayo got a huge injection of cash from a USA based benefactor and did nothing with it . Every county getting a million off JP McManus , that buys a lot of coaching but many will squander it . It’s not like you can go out and buy players like Premiership football . The current crop of Dublin and Kerry players are just better than everyone else . Take Mayo as for comparison . No amount of coaching will stop for example Cillian O Connor missing final winning frees or Vaughan punching someone in front of the ref and getting sent off handing Dublin an advantage. I still struggle to see why they always play Aidan O Shea who contributes nothing . I’m sure a time will come when Dublin have a poor squad . All these things are cyclical. Meath had a great team when the likes of Giles and Dowd were playing for them . Now they have a poor squad despite having much better facilities and nutrition etc .

Plus Mayo had a glorious chance of winning Sam I had them as favourites v Tyrone - but Mayo completely bottled it. Save from bribing the ref to retake the penalty there is only so much money can do. Or ruling out Murphy's goal for Donegal in another AI final they made a balls of.

As for Meath the great Sean Boylan papered over the cracks, Meath GAA has been run extremely poorly. There is a poster on here (from Meath) who likes to paint Dublin GAA as the source of all Meath's problems. Or as the bogeyman in some sort of of theatrical sense.

But the poster in particular prefers to obsess about Dublin rather than look closely at his own county. Which is very odd. As Meath fail time and again since they last won Sam to beat teams that are not Dublin. Carlow. Wicklow. Westmeath etc. How have they fared in the league, or against teams that are not Dublin, or outside Leinster in the qualifiers etc?

At least Mayo have a certain standard of consistency about them they stay in div1 and challenge for div1 etc. It is just Mayo have a psychological problem at the latter stages of the championship - in other words the final.

But Meath cannot even stay in div1 for any extended period, how you can blame Dublin for this I don't know? That Meath poster on here who obsess about Dublin. It reminds me of the girl who lost her looks let herself go bug style (Meath Football) while looking on enviously at the neighbour (the former supermodel Dublin Football) who still constantly put the work and hard graft in to maintain standards/ attempt to increase them, as good as they can. Meath GAA are now not even the best looking girl on their road, but it no one else's fault but their own.

I was in here looking up re a response to the Cavan challenge but your post has lot of inaccuracies in it.

For example, the JP McManus funding is for clubs. Not county teams or county boards. In most counties, clubs will get about €10,000 each. That won’t go very far to be honest when it comes to the costs of running a modern day club.

You say it buys a lot of coaching but that shows a lack of knowledge of the club scene on your behalf, A professional coach is maybe €200 a session so that’d buy a max of about 50 sessions. One a week. Do you know many clubs have one session a week?

”Smart decisions made by smart people” were greatly helped by an injection of a million a year towards coaching.

A podcast is my own county talks about how if the GAA were realistic about actually levelling the playing field, they should be using an NFL type format e.g. in the NFL, the worst team gets the first draft pick the following year. In football, should the worst county in Ireland not be getting the most help and funding? If the GAA are worried about money being “squandered” as you put it, put a professional in place in each county to oversee spending.

Follow the Dublin model that has worked so well for others. Surely even ardent supporters like yourself would love to see a competitive Leinster championship at this stage.

“Unlike other counties where it’s GAA or nothing “ - This point made me laugh. Have you driven outside the “pale” in the last 20 years? What you’re talking about ended in most counties in the 80s. For example, one of Cavan’s best young Gaelic players was Cillian Sheridan 20 years ago. He’s coming to the end of his soccer career. I wonder how he ended up playing soccer if it was “GAA or nothing” in most counties? Tommy Bowe is a Monaghan man isn’t he? Do you want me to continue through the various sports people from numerous counties?

With ten minutes drive of my home here, I have two rugby clubs, several soccer clubs, a tennis club, boxing club, cycling and triathalon club, two to three athletics clubs and the list keeps going……

One difference between Dublin and all those other counties is that Dublin got a gold plated coaching structure implemented and funded.

If the other teams were handed the same opportunities as Dublin and still fell short you might have a point.

To continue your (rather bizarre) analogy, Meath had to put a lot of effort to maintain standards but Dublin had a few sugar daddies to pay to get some work done

I'll give you a concrete example of the disparity between Dublin and other counties during their golden period. In 2015 Kildare had 4 games promotion officers for the entire county (around 1 per 10 clubs), split across a wide geographical area. In the same period, Dublin had 54 games development personnel - each assigned to a specific club. This included 14 specific club coaches. These were all subsidised by the GAA in a scheme not open to the rest of the country. Double standards.

Leaving out all the other parts and pillars to Dublins success - the average Dublin player availed of far more frequent, professional coaching than was available to other counties.

• Advertisement

Croke Park is Dublin's de facto home ground. They play their home league games there. So it absolutely is an advantage, just like home advantage is an advantage in every sport. Combine that with other advantages only available to Dublin, like massive sponsorship deals, insane games development funding favouritism by the GAA and it's clear how unfair the current situation is.

As others have pointed out, it's not GAA or nothing in the rest of the country. The fact that anyone could think that in 2024 shows they are insanely out of touch. Just as people who falsely claim Dublin are not uniquely unfairly advantaged over every other county are insanely out of touch. There is generally overlap between the two groups.

No bitterness, just a desire to do what is best for the GAA (including Dublin) and every county participating in the All-Ireland. I'm glad you acknowledge the importance of funding in achieving desired results though- this is another way Dublin are unfairly advantaged over everyone else. I also think Limerick's funding is very unfair but it's still not a patch on Dublin's in recent decades, plus Dublin play at home, plus Dublin have a massive population advantage. So while what happened with Limerick is bad, with Dublin it is far, far worse for the GAA.

There is something stopping them upping their coaching standards- they don't get anywhere near the same amount of money as Dublin do- from the GAA, from the Irish government, from their sponsors etc. Dublin didn't waste the money, for sure, but really the benefits were straightforward to obtain with the combination of unfair advantages they have. It's simple, the population advantage gives Dublin a higher absolute number of top-tier players. The funding helps develop their players to their maximum potential. Playing at home helps them to win tight games. As it's difficult to address any of things in isolation (reducing funding won't make any difference for decades, if ever, as Dublin will be reaping the benefits of past decades funding advantage for decades to come) it's best to just make an immediate improvement by splitting Dublin and making the advantages be dispersed across 4+ different teams, rather than 1. More Dublin players can challenge for the All-Ireland then too.

It is bitterness for sure , Cork Kerry Galway are unfairly advantaged both in population and funding over Leitrim Longford Carlow

What County are you from/ support ?

Again on here whinging about Croke Park and Dublin home advantage since circa 2011 , whinging on this forum has got you nowhere 14 years of whinging nonsense

would you not try something different like writing a letter of complaint to the GAA Head quarters 🙄🙄

Its best you stop wasting your time , 14 years of bitterness 🙄🙄Dublin players are 1 County only but sure keep trying for another 14 years tis great crack so it is .

I have two posts above. Why don’t you actually address one of those? The fact is in the noughties Dublin were a decent team making All Ireland semi finals.

They then had turbo charged funding pumped into their coaching system as other posters have said.

That can’t be changed now but why not try to level the playing field? Like I said, centralise funding, give each county an executive officer to oversee spending and do an NFL type structure where your worst county gets the most funding and your All Ireland champions the least.

Surely even Dublin supporters would love to go back to the days when Meath, Kildare or even a Mattie Forde inspired Wexford could give them a game in Leinster?

That is a false narrative. For a start Dublin have negative economies of scale that Meath never have to suffer that comes with being the capital. Numbers of clubs, rent, cost of living, available space, cost of building in Dublin, competition from other sports that rural ireland to not have to content with to the same extent.

I don't want to repeat myself but for instance it was not financially feasible for Dublin to get a centre of excellence, meanwhile Meath have had one before Dublin. Tyrone had one etc, Kerry as well - the price of the land alone Dublin were going to build on approx 7m in the spawell, was the same cost that Tyrone built their whole centre of excellence for. That says it all to me.

Also players from all over the country gravitate to Dublin, they take Dublin spots at clubs, it is gradually becoming more fashionable for country lads working in Dublin to stay playing in Dublin. Handier, higher standard of play than their 'home' county.

The fact you spin simplicitic narratives (STILL) means you do not understand the issues Dublin GAA has to face, do you know the GAA wastelands in Dublin. There are areas with massive populations on the other hand with too few clubs. Non Dublin teams never have this issue, or being 'invaded' by players from other counties.

The narrative that a pot of gold saved Dublin and crushed other counties is like something a primary school student would come up. The issues are far more complex than you like to pretend for Dublin. And the fact that there is STILL a meath poster on this thread who is constantly whinging about Dublin. But has never looked at the problems Meath created themselves. Throwing money at Meath won't help they have to rebuild because of years of neglect and metaphorically and literally taking their eye off the ball. There is no way that Meath should be struggling against Westmwath, Carlow and Wicklow etc. A nice size county not far way from Dublin etc.

The fact is the former dominance of Dublin had as much to do with the the inept running of former traditional counties such as Meath, the antiquated provincial structure, and Dublin doing over 20 years long term planning from the bottom up as well.

In reality I can understand why the Meath supporter is annoyed it is embarrassing for him. Plus I assume he is of an age that he cannot even remember when Meath were top dogs. Plus everyone loves a pantomime villain, especially a whining meathman.

It will be interesting to see how clubs counties spend JP McManus million euros. Will it show improvement in 5-10 years time at county level. I would argue that depends on a myriad of variables and there is no doubt some will waste it, and a few will maximise it to the hilt.

100% no problem with that , like i said Leitrim Longford Carlow etc cant compete with Dublin Cork Galway etc

• Advertisement

I also have umpteen posts above ref Leitrim Longford Carlow etc can't compete with Dublin Galway Kerry etc why don't you address one of those ?

The Dublin's Kerry's Mayo's Tyrone's Corks etc want for nothing in regards to funding etc , but what about the Leitrim's Longford's Carlow's do they not matter ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement