Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

is_that_so wrote: »
    No, they are not. That's actually defamation of character. They need to have evidence. Not justified to go to court over it though.

You saying a security guard can't look in your bag if the alarm goes off?

Also if it is free money automatically for this, it leads to cases like the woman who brought a bottle of coke into a shop and put it on a shelf, then did her shopping and grabbed the bottle on the way so it looked like she was stealing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Wheety wrote: »

Also if it is free money automatically for this, it leads to cases like the woman who brought a bottle of coke into a shop and put it on a shelf, then did her shopping and grabbed the bottle on the way so it looked like she was stealing it.

I'm not 100%, but I don't think security guards have the right to search you. They can detain you unti Gardaí arrive, but that's it, I think. Kind of like a citizens arrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,338 ✭✭✭jmreire

Suckit wrote: »
    ^^ That one was linked to already a page or two back.

He had a year and a half to go through the motions, and think about what he was doing. What a f***ing moron.
    He literally must have been thinking about the massive payout and convinced himself it was happening.

For somebody that is worried about a stain on his character, what a f***ing moron. I can't think of anything else to say about him.

The question is, why would he NOT do it? When nearly every day you can read in the papers about the Courts awarding large sums of money for what seem's to be frivolous claim's? And no punishment if the claim is kicked out because it is a scam? It's a win /win situation for the claimant. He wins, he gets a payout. He loses, nothing happens. The whole situation is rotten to the core.

No security have no rights to look in your bag, asking to do so can be seen as an accusation of theft.

I worked security for 10 years and if you did this you'd have your cards handed to you if it turned out that you were in the wrong.

Standard procedure to bring the person back to a non public area and wait for the guards, explain your suspicion and have the guards ask the person to open the bag, as they have the legal right to search, a security guard does not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I'm not 100%, but I don't think security guards have the right to search you. They can detain you unti Gardarrive, but that's it, I think. Kind of like a citizens arrest.

That was my understanding also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Alarm going off is possible evidence. Getting you to open your bag without it is an offence.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Alarm going off is possible evidence. Getting you to open your bag without it is an offence.

The alarm going off is not possible evidence, tags left on from other stores can trigger alarms in other stores.
    If you stop someone based purely on that your accusing them of shoplifting. You better be right or have your cheque book ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

DubInMeath wrote: »
    No security have no rights to look in your bag, asking to do so can be seen as an accusation of theft.

I worked security for 10 years and if you did this you'd have your cards handed to you if it turned out that you were in the wrong.

Standard procedure to bring the person back to a non public area and wait for the guards, explain your suspicion and have the guards ask the person to open the bag, as they have the legal right to search, a security guard does not.

Out of interest what would happen if the person said no won’t be going anywhere non public but happy to wait for guard in the shop?

salmocab wrote: »
    Out of interest what would happen if the person said no won’t be going anywhere non public but happy to wait for guard in the shop?

The private area is for them. So nobody sees them being detained.

If they want they can wait in the shop, but don't lt them near the swings.

salmocab wrote: »

You just wait with them on the shop floor, with another member of staff with you as a witness. Same as if brought back to a non public area, regardless of the person's gender but back when I was working in the industry, you would make sure to have a female member of staff with you if stopping a female member of the public. Doubt that has changed but I haven't worked in security in nearly 20 years.

One point however is that, unless it's a large department store with different holders the person would only be stopped after they left or attempted to leave the store without paying.

In my experience, the stay on the shop floor cases were the ones hoping to be let go by causing a scene which never worked with me and normally had them escalating enough to have justified reason for moving them off the floor physically.

Again I was always 100% certain before stopping someone, even the slightest doubt that I was wrong or they might have dropped what they had I just let them walk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Scoundrel wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if she was pulled in by HQ and told to drop the claim

That kind of thing possibly passes in paramilitary organisation oriented parties, but FG would be strongly in favour of the rights of free citizens, and in letting the law take its course. Its a more sophisticated attitude than much of the Irish electorate would understand, but it follows the right course despite the rabble it has to govern and their more simplistic view of the world.
    Avoid letting this type of tabloid, whinge, attitude affect you, get out there, do the right thing, for yourself and the greater good, and vote for your FG and FF candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭buried

lol

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Just back from voting and I forgot about the referendum. Couldn't really care which way that goes I suppose, apart from taxes, I can't really see why anyone gets married.

The length of the EU ballot :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

FG would be strongly in favour of the rights of free citizens

And yet they deploy a three-line whip, only used in rare circumstances in most functioning parliamentary democracies, for every single vote from legislative votes to motions on lunch menus in the Dáil bar :pac:

Just back from voting and I forgot about the referendum. Couldn't really care which way that goes I suppose, apart from taxes, I can't really see why anyone gets married.

The length of the EU ballot :eek:

I made the mistake of filling out the referendum ballot first, before immediately remembering why I swore I'd never do that again - flipped over to the EU ballot and immediately put an X next to Alice Mary Higgins, my intended #1. Had to ask for it to be spoiled and get a new one - the woman at the desk for my polling card number said I was one of many people who'd done this today, so at least it's not a moment of complete eejitry :D

Yeah we need frivolous claims thrown out more often we costs awarded against.

It seems like an automatic payout if a security guard checks your bag and you haven't stolen anything.

They're just doing their job.
    DublinMeath already answered this, but there's also a very good reason why it's illegal for anybody except a Garda to detain or arrest any person on the street who is suspected of having committed a crime. Vigilantism.

What would you do if an ordinary member of the public detained you on Grafton Street, in front of hundreds of people, and strongly implied that you had just committed a crime? Well, it's no different to circulating a pamphlet and implying the same thing. It is defamatory.

A security guard is just another member of the public. We cannot, and should not, go down the rabbit hole of private militia operating like a regular police force, and so it's important that security guards (so-called) don't enjoy any greater legal protections than some crank on Grafton Street.

If anyone detained me in that way in a supermarket, I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to see a solicitor about it. Unless of course I really had shoplifted

*slides out of the thread with everyone's wallets*

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

jmayo wrote: »
    Since it is After Hours after all, do you get two votes if you sometimes identify as a woman ?

That fooking clown deserves to spend eternity in purgatory with danny healy rae.

Dafuk did Healy Rae do to deserve to be stuck with that yoke for eternity ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Even Shane Roos sticking the boot in now

www.twitter.com/Shane_RossTD/status/1131826835619229696

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Even Shane Roos stciking the boot in now

https://i.redd.it/kptsrcofu4031.jpg

You know its bad now.

This is inevitably going to start trending as #swinggate, but can I propose we get ahead of them and call it #swingersgate instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

D7RitpdXkAAYuGe.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Neonite

The incident happened in 2015 which would have been at the top of the compo boom to be fair to her. Hard to time the market

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I wonder was this mishap caught on camera?

mikeym wrote: »
    I wonder was this mishap caught on camera?

Probably recorded it themselves. Seems every little thing these lame f**king eegits do is recorded for some video/photo online insta-twitbook account

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Fine Gael the laughing stock of Ireland.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Fine Gael the laughing stock of Ireland.....

Only for the feeble minded.
    They are the best option going. That much of the electorate can't see that, is the reason behind many of the country's problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

They are the best option going. That much of the electorate can't see that, is the reason behind many of the country's problems.

Lol! Fifty percent marginal rate on low income workers. Housing a scandal. You can really tell who is on the receiving end of this crisis and those, simply through timing , are not. A minority are probably high earners and can get by, fair play to them. Most probably got their housing etc for a pittance compared to now , of course it was still “always difficult to get on the ladder” it’s just several times more difficult now ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

This bit is incorrect. The FG crew are clearly the most competent people we have to govern us. FF close behind.
    All the rest - just ensure they are at the bottom of your ballot paper preference. Every Irish citizen has a responsibility to do this today. You have to stop voting for independents, IRA refugees, and novelty acts. If don't, you will get the poorly run country you will have asked for. Don't let issues like this injury case distract you from voting correctly.

Thank god we live in a democracy and one vote per person with freedom of choice from the above sh the. Dictatorship is dead in Ireland.

I suppose 8 years of these utter clowns in power got nothing to do with it either?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I'm amazed people are rising/ responding to someone with the initials T.R.O.L. Ah well.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement