Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

They're both in the papers today, and the TD one was in the papers yesterday as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Well yeah it is taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

BellaBella wrote: »
    They're both in the papers today, and the TD one was in the papers yesterday as well.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057982304

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

golfball37 wrote: »
    She returned a cheque for 600e the hotel gave her for medical expenses. Some neck.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/td-bailey-rejected-600-from-hotel-to-pay-her-medical-bill-after-swing-fall-38143356.html
    In her action, Ms Bailey's lawyers say she was at the hotel with friends on July 13, 2015...

....She was brought to the Beacon Hospital and was described as being "in severe pain"...
    ....Ms Bailey was also described as being sick and sore and having a severe headache.
    https://www.independent.ie/life/health-wellbeing/health-features/migraine-warrior-maria-bailey-there-are-times-when-that-throbbing-shrieking-pain-is-so-awful-31282538.html
    June 15 2015 2:30 AM
    Councillor Maria Bailey (39) runs like the wind - to lessen the effects of excruciating headaches.
    "When I was 16, I began to feel chronically tired and I had a pounding headache," she recalls.
    When the situation continued unabated for another two months, Maria's GP came to the conclusion that she was suffering from migraine headaches..
    So are the headaches from falling off the swing different to the headaches she was getting for years before?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,215 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/appalling-waste-of-time-man-who-claimed-he-was-humiliated-when-friends-bag-checked-in-shop-has-75k-damages-claim-dismissed-38144591.html

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/td-bailey-rejected-600-from-hotel-to-pay-her-medical-bill-after-swing-fall-38143356.html

Is there no end to the ridiculous and stupid claims people are prepared to take? A grown woman falls off a swing and claims someone should have been supervising/giving instructions on how to use it; and a guy who was with a friend who was brought back into a shop because the security tag was still on an item he purchased claims defamation.
    You forgot about the cosmos one....
    And they got a settlement!
    https://www.thesun.ie/news/4123369/kinahan-kingpin-liam-byrnes-son-undisclosed-sum-defamation-case/

• Advertisement

gmisk wrote: »

and the way It's playing out, why shouldn't joe scumbag try his luck if the establishment de jour are every bit as brazen!!!

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Varadkar is some joke. The welfare warriors received more than workers earning up to 55,000 a year!
    who??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

I wouldn't be surprised if she was pulled in by HQ and told to drop the claim

Scoundrel wrote: »

I would be more surprised if she was!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Scoundrel wrote: »

Nah she will just be relegated to the backbenches after the next reshuffle or election if FG get back in and wont see sight nor sound of a real ministerial office for a long time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

FG was hoping to increase their CC representative count by 20/30. Wonder will Bailey have an affect. She may have swung several voters away with her antics.

FG wont get one vote from here,and there are 5 votes in this home.

I'd be fuming if I were an FG candidate.

I'd be wearing a mask.

golfball37 wrote: »
    She returned a cheque for 600e the hotel gave her for medical expenses. Some neck.

Literally

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Hear she plans to give all money received to charity as a way of saving face..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

BENDYBINN wrote:

So pursuing a compo claim is now to be seen as a charitable endeavour?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

BENDYBINN wrote: »

Ah driving the cost of insurance up and then just giving it away, moron.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

I think this underlines more of the same laissez faire leadership from Leo.

This courtcase is deeply unpopular with most people including core FG voters who are now questioning their support for the party. This for many is the straw which broke the camel's back.

Leo should have told her from day 1 if you pursue this case you're on your own and have no future in the party.

It will be interesting to see how FG fare in local and EU elections.

Anyone would think this fookin clown is without sin !!

Any links to that? I can't find it. Charity is probably her own.......... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I think this underlines more of the same laissez faire leadership from Leo.

This courtcase is deeply unpopular with most people including core FG voters who are now questioning their support for the party. This for many is the straw which broke the camel's back.

Leo should have told her from day 1 if you pursue this case you're on your own and have no future in the party.

It will be interesting to see how FG fare in local and EU elections.

Between that and Francis Fitzgerald claiming she returned a dog to its owner when she had nothing to do it with they lost my votes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Her re-election campaign doesn't count as a charitable cause I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

nuac wrote: »
    BC sustained very serious injuries

Indeed he did- life changing. But he was still trespassing.

Why wouldn't the case proceed or a fair trial be impossible? This is a civil case that would be tried in the circuit court by a judge without a jury.
    Finally got around to looking up the case-law on this.

The Supreme Court case of Cullen v Toibin & Magill [1984] I.L.R.M. 577

Mr Mitchell, for the defendants, submits that there is no danger of the plaintiff being prejudiced in his appeal by the publication of the article because the appeal will come before three professional judges who  are trained to exclude irrelevant or inadmissible matter from their minds. No doubt  judges  are so trained and for that reason courts have traditionally taken a less serious view of adverse pre-trial publicity where a case was to be tried by a judge or  judges alone than when  it was to be tried by a judge sitting with a jury. Certainly the courts have taken this view when the adverse publicity consisted of mere general assertions e.g. that an alleged statement was involuntary, but that is not the present case. Speaking for my own part I think  it  would be  unwise to  assume that  judges  are  totally  immune from  frailties  commonly  held to  afflict  jurors. This problem was discussed by the English King's Bench in the case of R v Davies, ex p. Delbert-Evans [1945] KB 435. Humphreys J referred (at pp. 442–443) to the embarrassment caused to a judge who is told matters which he  would rather not hear and which make  it more difficult for him to do what is his duty. Oliver J agreed with these sentiments and in a dictum which appears at page 445 of the report, he puts the matter as follows:
    In my view, on the authorities, contempt of court can be committed, at any time until the case is ended, and it is not ended until after the hearing and decision of an appeal, if there has been an appeal. I fully agree with my Lord, and I share his view as to the importance of the matter, that  jurors  are not the only people whose minds can be affected by prejudice. [ In my view, it is absurd to suggest that  judges' minds could not be affected by prejudice ].1 One of the evils of inadmissible matter being disseminated is that no one can tell what effect a particular piece of information may have upon his mind. [He cannot be sure himself; his mind is not a thing with regard to which  it can be said exactly what material brought  it to any particular view at any moment]. Why, as my Lord has asked, and I can think of no better word should a judge be ‘embarrassed’ by having matters put into his mind, the effect of which  it is impossible to estimate or assess?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,129 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Yurt! wrote: »
    No you don't. One man one vote. That's democracy.

Since it is After Hours after all, do you get two votes if you sometimes identify as a woman ?

Anyone would think this fookin clown is without sin !!

That fooking clown deserves to spend eternity in purgatory with danny healy rae.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,150 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Off on a tangent, but good to see another chancer shown up

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/appalling-waste-of-time-man-who-claimed-he-was-humiliated-when-friends-bag-checked-in-shop-has-75k-damages-claim-dismissed-38144591.html

What is the costs situation in this? Does this chancer have to pay anything?

Its about time that any claimants were made to pay costs if they lose, would knock the majority of fraudulent claims on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Just back from voting. Really hope Alice Mary Higgins gets a seat for Europe, and hoping against hope that Frances "nothing to see here, I don't know how to use an email client" FitzGerald doesn't get anywhere near it.

^^ That one was linked to already a page or two back.

He had a year and a half to go through the motions, and think about what he was doing. What a f***ing moron.
    He literally must have been thinking about the massive payout and convinced himself it was happening.

For somebody that is worried about a stain on his character, what a f***ing moron. I can't think of anything else to say about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Yeah we need frivolous claims thrown out more often we costs awarded against.

It seems like an automatic payout if a security guard checks your bag and you haven't stolen anything.

They're just doing their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Wheety wrote: »
    Yeah we need frivolous claims thrown out more often we costs awarded against.

It seems like an automatic payout if a security guard checks your bag and you haven't stolen anything.

They're just doing their job.
    No, they are not. That's actually defamation of character. They need to have evidence. Not justified to go to court over it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Just back from voting. Really hope Alice Mary Higgins gets a seat for Europe, and hoping against hope that Frances "nothing to see here, I don't know how to use an email client" FitzGerald doesn't get anywhere near it.
    She does seem likely to top the poll. Exit poll after 10 pm tonight on Late Late.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement