Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 youngbird

whiskeyman wrote: »
    https://www.insuranceconfidential.ie/
    If you have seen or know of an individual or business who has committed Insurance Fraud
    please let us know by filling out the form below or talk to one of our experts on lo-call 1890 333 333.

Boardsies, you know what to do!!!

Just submitted the link to the article below. It can be done anonymously.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/td-bailey-ran-10km-race-three-weeks-after-swing-fall-38146778.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Just did the same. Civic duty and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

The Green Party vote is huge so far. Very few would have predicted such a vote for them in the North West constituency though. They'll have candidates elected to most local councils now, and the ability to make changes as a result. Who would have thought that a party advocating small local business, sustainability, and a focus on the future of the planet would do so well.

Partly agree but aren't the greens responsible for hold ups in public transport infrastructure like the metro? Not very "green" if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

If you have seen or know of an individual or business who has committed Insurance Fraud
    please let us know by filling out the form below or talk to one of our experts on lo-call 1890 333 333.

Done, feel good about it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I sincerely hope a strong message is sent out if John Bailey is not elected.

A good starting point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Ush1 wrote: »
    Partly agree but aren't the greens responsible for hold ups in public transport infrastructure like the metro? Not very "green" if you ask me.

Eamon Ryan is more interested in his re-election than the environment. He’s everything wrong with politics in Ireland in one neat overpaid bundle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I suggest just letting the law take its course, rather than trial by boards.

Yurt! wrote: »
    Incumbents are always the best option because I voted for them before, and sunken-cost fallacy leads me to vote for them again.

I think you are missing the point. Its not a question of voting for the incumbents. What matters is voting for the best. If the incumbents happen to be the most capable, then it is the correct option to vote for them again. Not doing so is just stupid.

The Irish are universally critical of the incumbents - whoever they be - without realising the flaw in their thinking, which is that it is their assessment of the incumbents that is out of line. If the govt is ALWAYS crap, then simply rotating for the sake of it is no solution. Its like the voters' memories are wiped of all events before the last election. So many end up voting for the crappest politicians on offer, as a protest, to 'send a message', in their irrational ire, or following the senseless rhetoric of the oddballs and escapees from a John B Keane play.

are you still here???

ye with the acronymed moniker. get off to counting votes or whatever you do in the dark corners..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

If she had any decency at this stage she'd resign her seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I wouldn’t lose too much sleep wondering if she has any decency, if she had any she wouldn’t have made the claim to begin with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

At least withdraw the case for gods sake , she has been proved a liar and fraudster in a court of law . and is compounding her fraud by pursuing the case.

Any decent political party would make a public statement of dismissing her

but sure this is Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Delighted to see that story in the Indo. I really hope she's nailed now. Really hope Leo and FG are feeling the burn of regret today. There was a window for them to close back some credibility and they failed to take it. I found this very revealing.

Reading the tweets to @MariaBaileyFG really indicate that people are so angry about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭VonZan

I think you are missing the point. Its not a question of voting for the incumbents. What matters is voting for the best. If the incumbents happen to be the most capable, then it is the correct option to vote for them again. Not doing so is just stupid.

The Irish are universally critical of the incumbents - whoever they be - without realising the flaw in their thinking, which is that it is their assessment of the incumbents that is out of line. If the govt is ALWAYS crap, then simply rotating for the sake of it is no solution. Its like the voters' memories are wiped of all events before the last election. So many end up voting for the crappest politicians on offer, as a protest, to 'send a message', in their irrational ire, or following the senseless rhetoric of the oddballs and escapees from a John B Keane play.

That's pretty poor logic. Voting for the same people over and over again and expecting different results is insanity. The problem in this country is the calibre of candidates across the board is extremely poor.

VonZan wrote: »
    That's pretty poor logic. Voting for the same people over and over again and expecting different results is insanity.

Also missing the point.
    The logic is correct. Vote for the best available. Voting out the incumbents and expecting whoever the 'other crowd' are to do better is the rinse-and-repeat pattern in Ireland - thats insanity.

VonZan wrote: »
    The problem in this country is the calibre of candidates across the board is extremely poor.
    This is a function of the general quality of the Irish themselves, and those who vote for them. It very damning, but true. The irony is that they spend much of their time moaning about how poor, they themselves, are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Common misconception - if you do this, then every candidate after your top 3 or 4 (assuming all of your top choices don't get in, which requires a lot of luck but does happen) has a reduced quota to get elected on whichever count your vote runs out of numbers on. So if there are one or two people you truly despise, it really is better to vote all the way down and give them the last numbers. If you despise everyone equally after a certain point, you're absolutely right. But in this particular case, I want to see John Bailey getting his f*cking ass kicked, and if someone from FG is going to get in, I'd rather it be either of the other two candidates.

The quota is calculated based on the total number of valid ballots on each count. If you're on the sixth count and you only put down six numbers, then assuming none of your six are still in contention (either already elected or already eliminated), your vote stops being counted as a "valid ballot" once you get to the seventh count.

Not a huge issue on an individual basis, but definitely a huge issue if enough people do it, which unfortunately seems to be the case. I've always thought that the quota system we use should be taught as part of CSPE or something, I only know about it because my dad used to cover the elections for RTE back in the '90s and thus he's something of a political encyclopedia for this kind of stuff :D

Are you sure about that?
    I don't believe the quota can decrease at each count
    Valid ballots cast on which the quota is determined is set at count 1 surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

Insurance fraud is a criminal offence. Can a member of the public raise the complaint at a garda station or can it only be raised by an affected party?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Box09

Insurance fraud. She needs to resign. Obnoxious woman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Ireland is a relatively affluent, first world country. We have high literacy, high employment and decent health outcomes. Sure, we have monumental cock ups in each of these areas. These cock ups, despite their media coverage (if it bleeds, it leads!), are not universally felt by the population. Consequently, we will continue to return centrist governments. As long as most people in Ireland are "ok", we will not see any massive change in our political landscape.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Alan Farrell on newstalk now. A pure spin merchant. Deflecting every question.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

lawred2 wrote: »
    Jesus so not just a spurious claim but a fraudulent claim to boot.

Leo has little option but to expel her from the party

Didn't he have a campaign recently encouraging people to grass on fraudulent claims?

#Rat4Leo

I suggest just letting the law take its course, rather than trial by boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I'm really enjoying the Schadenfreude of seeing her exposed.

Even if you can accept the corrupt behaviour, the sheer stupidity if posting images of your active lifestyle while throwing in a claim!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

youngbird wrote: »
    Just submitted the link to the article below. It can be done anonymously.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/td-bailey-ran-10km-race-three-weeks-after-swing-fall-38146778.html
    Thanks for that. I have reported it.

Also don't forget to input the link of her contact details

https://www.finegael.ie/our-people/tds/dublin/dun-laoghaire/maria-bailey/

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Alan Farrell on newstalk now. A pure spin merchant. Deflecting every question.

Sure what would he know about dodgy insurance claims?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

I’ve submitted a report. It’s a clear case of fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,984 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

KaneToad wrote: »
    Ireland is a relatively affluent, first world country. We have high literacy, high employment and decent health outcomes. Sure, we have monumental cock ups in each of these areas. These cock ups, despite their media coverage (if it bleeds, it leads!), are not universally felt by the population. Consequently, we will continue to return centrist governments. As long as most people in Ireland are "ok", we will not see any massive change in our political landscape.

The 'shur it's grand' way of thinking. We are content with mediocrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I wonder if Leo will just promote her to the Senate like Enda did with Michelle Mulherin...

• Advertisement

KaneToad wrote: »

Exactly. Because Ireland doesnt need nor want a change. A quick tot of the local election poll gives 64% of voters gave the sensible answer (FG,FF, Lab, G, SD). Which is quite heartening, and shows the country isnt entirely hopeless. Its still a bit fractured though which screws up stable government. Those 5 are identically politically, with only team colours or personalities to try to claim a difference. The mature thing to do would be to merge them all, but that would split the vote as too many of that 64% likes to flip flop between parties offering them essentially the same thing.
    And that is still 36% who wasted their vote, or voted for disruption to the system. Then wonder why they have disfunctional politicians.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement