Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

kenmc wrote: »
    So the next question is when will we know the results. Eu can't be announced til Sunday I think I read, so all other countries can get theirs done too. Referendum first I guess, as it's a binary choice so easiest to do? Then we see how much damage the tennements2.0 policy and the swing state has done to fine gale. Plenty, hopefully.

But they already have poor representation at council level, SF have the most seats since 2014.

So another poor show doesn’t really prove anything.

A general election is the best indication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

FG was hoping to increase their CC representative count by 20/30. Wonder will Bailey have an affect. She may have swung several voters away with her antics.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Yurt! wrote: »
    No you don't. One man one vote. That's democracy.

Will someone please think of the wimmin

FG was hoping to increase their CC representative count by 20/30. Wonder will Bailey have an affect. She may have swung several voters away with her antics.

Of course she did.

That’s pretty obvious.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I don't agree with this at all.

If you don't like the candidate, don't give them any preference whatsoever.
    Because if they manage to avoid elimination, that #7 or #8 becomes the same value as a #1.
    Then don't give them a no. 7 or a no. 8. Give that preference to a less-awful candidate instead.

At that stage, someone is going to get elected anyway; you might as well have a say in it.

Obviously, there's no need to state a preference for your least-preferred candidate. There's always one FGer I can't bear to leave a mark beside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

I don’t know why I get two voting cards. One is in Dublin and the other is down the sticks. I suppose I’ve just gotten used to voting twice at this stage. Pay enough fricking tax anyway to deserve a 2nd.

It's very common in Ireland it will only change when its cross checked with PPSN which I believe is coming down the track.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

Ten Pin wrote: »

AIUI the quota is the (total valid poll divided by number of seats) +1

For a constituency of 5 seats with a poll of 100,000 the quota is 20,001

That's slightly wrong. The quota is (total valid divided by one plus the number of seats)+1. In your example of constituency of 5 seats with a valid poll of 100000 the quota is 16,667

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Scoundrel wrote: »
    It's very common in Ireland it will only change when its cross checked with PPSN which I believe is coming down the track.

I use the rural one as an excuse to head down to visit the mother and to drink a gallon of pints after heading to the polling station. I suppose the one in Dublin is used to counteract the vote of some malcontent who votes for SF or one of the loony left. And then the rural one is where I vote for parties and politicians who can actually run the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,338 ✭✭✭jmreire

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I don't agree with this at all.

If you don't like the candidate, don't give them any preference whatsoever.
    Because if they manage to avoid elimination, that #7 or #8 becomes the same value as a #1.

After Alan Kelly got elected on the 7th count. :mad: ??? No thanks !!! If I like a candidate, I will vote for him / her, otherwise, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I use the rural one as an excuse to head down to visit the mother and to drink a gallon of pints after heading to the polling station. I suppose the one in Dublin is used to counteract the vote of some malcontent who votes for SF or one of the loony left. And then the rural one is where I vote for parties and politicians who can actually run the country.

That's subverting a basic principle of modern democracy. You think it's cute when you do it, but I don't think you'd take the same tack if your 'looney left' class enemies did it en-masse.

This is fairly black and white, you believe in one man one vote or you're anti-democratic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

I don’t know why I get two voting cards. One is in Dublin and the other is down the sticks. I suppose I’ve just gotten used to voting twice at this stage. Pay enough fricking tax anyway to deserve a 2nd.

M0D
    Are you suggesting duplication of polling cards allows you to vote twice? Not so. that would be a criminal offence.

That’s pretty obvious.

I'd be fuming if I were an FG candidate.

Closing on the day of the election but open all the way up until.

I'd be fuming if I were an FG candidate.

Im sure they are.

Closing on the day of the election but open all the way up until.

Why should the thread be closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭dusty bin

Hope your trolling. Everybody has one vote and one vote only. Voting in multiple wards during the same election is illegal. If your not trolling, then you are clearly admitting to breaking the law and appear happy to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

jmreire wrote: »
    After Alan Kelly got elected on the 7th count. :mad: ??? No thanks !!! If I like a candidate, I will vote for him / her, otherwise, no.

What you're saying here is that, if your vote happens to be transferred past the the candidates you've selected, you are happy for your vote to be ignored and for other people to decide for you. That's your choice I guess.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/why-it-pays-to-vote-all-the-way-down-the-ballot-paper-1.2548241
    Individually, it is true, failing to vote right down through the list has only a marginal effect. But if this sin of omission is repeated on a widespread basis by fellow voters it can actually assist a candidate who you would prefer to see defeated by lowering the effective quota, and making it easier for him/her to reach it. As an election proceeds and the number of non-transferable votes accumulates, the number required to be elected – the effective quota – falls.

Why should the thread be closed?

Sorry thought a mod was closing it in previous page.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Sorry thought a mod was closing it in previous page.

In fairness, interesting and lively threads being closed for absolutely no reason would be far from the strangest thing to happen around here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭golfball37

She returned a cheque for 600e the hotel gave her for medical expenses. Some neck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Common misconception - if you do this, then every candidate after your top 3 or 4 (assuming all of your top choices don't get in, which requires a lot of luck but does happen) has a reduced quota to get elected on whichever count your vote runs out of numbers on. So if there are one or two people you truly despise, it really is better to vote all the way down and give them the last numbers. If you despise everyone equally after a certain point, you're absolutely right. But in this particular case, I want to see John Bailey getting his f*cking ass kicked, and if someone from FG is going to get in, I'd rather it be either of the other two candidates.

The quota is calculated based on the total number of valid ballots on each count. If you're on the sixth count and you only put down six numbers, then assuming none of your six are still in contention (either already elected or already eliminated), your vote stops being counted as a "valid ballot" once you get to the seventh count.

Not a huge issue on an individual basis, but definitely a huge issue if enough people do it, which unfortunately seems to be the case. I've always thought that the quota system we use should be taught as part of CSPE or something, I only know about it because my dad used to cover the elections for RTE back in the '90s and thus he's something of a political encyclopedia for this kind of stuff :D

I despise all of them from 1-4 never mind the rest! But seriously, after 4 I really don't have a preference, all as bad as each other, so wouldn't give any of them the extra help in round 5 onwards, especially as I know little to nothing about the most recent teacher, retired Garda or local activist to join the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,240 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

You think with all the crap on his wikipedia John Bailey wouldnt have any chance?
    But he clearly has.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bailey_(Irish_politician)

golfball37 wrote:
    She returned a cheque for 600e the hotel gave her for medical expenses. Some neck.

Obviously not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

gmisk wrote: »
    You think with all the crap on his wikipedia John Bailey wouldnt have any chance?
    But he clearly has.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bailey_(Irish_politician)

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,845 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Varadkar is some joke. The welfare warriors received more than workers earning up to 55,000 a year! The housing crisis is a scandal. This is coming from an ex fg voter. He makes my skin crawl. He has to be removed from power come the next election!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,338 ✭✭✭jmreire

What you're saying here is that, if your vote happens to be transferred past the the candidates you've selected, you are happy for your vote to be ignored and for other people to decide for you. That's your choice I guess.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/why-it-pays-to-vote-all-the-way-down-the-ballot-paper-1.2548241

What I'm actually saying is, I will vote for the candidates of my choice. Now if I only like 3, that's all I will vote for. On the other hand, if I like all the candidates, then I will vote for all of them, in my order of choice. I'm not going to vote for all the candidates, just to use all my vote's. If I think that you deserve a vote, I'll give you one, but not just to "use up" my remaining vote's. But if you and everyone else want to use all your vote's, that's fine too.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Varadkar is some joke. The welfare warriors received more than workers earning up to 55,000 a year! The housing crisis is a scandal. This is coming from an ex fg voter. He makes my skin crawl. He has to be removed from power come the next election!!!

Still voting Renua?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,845 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Still voting Renua?
    Yeah. Probably do the inconceivable and give ff a vote, before I’d do my bit in helping that rat back into power!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/appalling-waste-of-time-man-who-claimed-he-was-humiliated-when-friends-bag-checked-in-shop-has-75k-damages-claim-dismissed-38144591.html

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/td-bailey-rejected-600-from-hotel-to-pay-her-medical-bill-after-swing-fall-38143356.html

Is there no end to the ridiculous and stupid claims people are prepared to take? A grown woman falls off a swing and claims someone should have been supervising/giving instructions on how to use it; and a guy who was with a friend who was brought back into a shop because the security tag was still on an item he purchased claims defamation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

First I heard of this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement