Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Its the correct thing to do. There will be a ground swell of the simple minded voter, who unfortunately predominates in Ireland, who will fall for something along the lines of 'loo-la FG lady sues hotel because she cant sit on a swing, so we must punish FG and vote for anyone else' nonsense. Or, 'who is in power? Shower, Im definitely voting for the other crowd'. Yet not realising, with their goldfish length memory that this is what they have always done - yet expect that playing the same flip-flop voting game yet again, something will change. Vote for the best available to you - in this case FG.

(and by the way, was the swing supervised ? No. Was their a safety warning ? No. Was there a introductory tool-box briefing for anyone going to use it ? No. Was there an breathaliser test available to ensure anyone using it was below a risky level ? No. Was safety wear such as harness, helmet, etc provided ? No. So I wouldnt be too harsh on her, and think she may well have the last laugh. See you here following the verdict).

I was honestly taken in by this until I read the closing paragraph. Well played :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

It's difficult to see how the case can proceed. I can totally understand why McDowell spoke about it in the Seanad, but he is a former Minister for Justice, former A-G; a practicing, senior member of the Bar, and a member of the Oireachtas. It is reasonable to speculate that such commentary and the publicity that ensued has made a fair trial impossible.

Presumably, Bailey will be asking for the case to be put back indefinitely (until she loses her seat), instead of dropping the case? A potential 60k is a lot of money to give up.

Why wouldn't the case proceed or a fair trial be impossible? This is a civil case that would be tried in the circuit court by a judge without a jury.

Why wouldn't the case proceed or a fair trial be impossible? This is a civil case that would be tried in the circuit court by a judge without a jury.
    I don't remember the case (someone qualified in the law might oblige), but there was an important legal judgment where the courts determined that adverse publicity might affect jury trials as well as trials determined solely by a judge

Jury trials are more susceptible to adverse publicity, but judge-determined cases are not immune. That's the general thrust. And if any judge might be swayed by adverse commentary, it's the commentary of a former Attorney General, former Justice Minister, sitting member of the Oireachtas and an eminent member of the Bar (all in one person, like Jesus Christ).

I think it was the CJ Haughey trial (comments made by Mary Harney in the Dáil led to his trial being put back indefinitely). Whatever trial it was, it features heavily in the case law on adverse publicity. If you don't get clarification on this from someone else, PM me and I'll find the judgment tomorrow.

Its the correct thing to do. There will be a ground swell of the simple minded voter, who unfortunately predominates in Ireland, who will fall for something along the lines of 'loo-la FG lady sues hotel because she cant sit on a swing, so we must punish FG and vote for anyone else' nonsense. Or, 'who is in power? Shower, Im definitely voting for the other crowd'. Yet not realising, with their goldfish length memory that this is what they have always done - yet expect that playing the same flip-flop voting game yet again, something will change. Vote for the best available to you - in this case FG.

(and by the way, was the swing supervised ? No. Was their a safety warning ? No. Was there a introductory tool-box briefing for anyone going to use it ? No. Was there an breathaliser test available to ensure anyone using it was below a risky level ? No. Was safety wear such as harness, helmet, etc provided ? No. So I wouldnt be too harsh on her, and think she may well have the last laugh. See you here following the verdict).

you'd expect youngsters to know about sexual consent handy enough and yet you want this wagon and her ilk to do an introductory course on the rudimentary operation of a swing which takes into account, blood alcohol level, PPE equipment type and usage thereof, signage and supervision etc etc...
    C'mon now...seriously, get me two of whatever your having there in the leinster house Bar will ye!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

rusty cole wrote: »
    you'd expect youngsters to know about sexual consent handy enough and yet you want this wagon and her ilk to do an introductory course on the rudimentary operation of a swing which takes into account, blood alcohol level, PPE equipment type and usage thereof, signage and supervision etc etc...
    C'mon now...seriously, get me two of whatever your having there in the leinster house Bar will ye!!!

Read the posters initials;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

You stopped being even half relevant a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,102 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I thought this was a joke, piss take :o

Well it gives new meaning to swing vote :D apologies if that one was already done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

scotchy wrote: »

Dental costs? Can I have a Pilates bursary? Dry needling is basically acupuncture. No one is certain it even works.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

No neck injuries due to its hardness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

I was honestly taken in by this until I read the closing paragraph. Well played :D:D:D

The 2nd paragraph, while ludicrous, is how this case will be decided. These are the arguments used in our courts on a daily basis in less high profile cases where personal responsibility is dismissed as not relevant.

I hate to say it, but I think she will win damages

The 2nd paragraph, while ludicrous, is how this case will be decided. These are the arguments used in our courts on a daily basis in less high profile cases where personal responsibility is dismissed as not relevant.

I hate to say it, but I think she will win damages

She has already won damages to her re-election prospects, ditto for daddy's chances today, to Madigans law firm, and to the FG party as a whole - who seem to be chocfull of unscrupulous gougers despite donning a holier than thou persona.

I predict the knives will be out for Maria now within the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

She has totally humiliated herself (and her party who must be furious behind the scenes at this embarrassment in the run up to the elections).

Even if she got 60k it's not worth the damage to her own reputation in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

She has already won damages to the FG party as a whole - who seem to be chocfull of unscrupulous gougers despite donning a holier than thou persona.

This bit is incorrect. The FG crew are clearly the most competent people we have to govern us. FF close behind.
    All the rest - just ensure they are at the bottom of your ballot paper preference. Every Irish citizen has a responsibility to do this today. You have to stop voting for independents, IRA refugees, and novelty acts. If don't, you will get the poorly run country you will have asked for. Don't let issues like this injury case distract you from voting correctly.

This bit is incorrect. The FG crew are clearly the most competent people we have to govern us. FF close behind.
    All the rest - just ensure they are at the bottom of your ballot paper preference. Every Irish citizen has a responsibility to do this today. You have to stop voting for independents, IRA refugees, and novelty acts. If don't, you will get the poorly run country you will have asked for. Don't let issues like this injury case distract you from voting correctly.

But sir the country is poorly run. You mean it will be MORE poorly run?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

I'd say the way she was raised is to know, as Oscar Wilde said, the price of everything and the value of nothing. She might well get a few bob out of this but she'll end up worse off in the long run.

She has totally humiliated herself (and her party who must be furious behind the scenes at this embarrassment in the run up to the elections).

Even if she got 60k it's not worth the damage to her own reputation in my opinion.
    She obviously thought so or that it would go unnoticed.

Yes. The current govt are the best the Irish can muster. It may not be run as well as people might wish. But that's a reflection of their own capabilities. Voting for the less competent people would indeed have it more poorly run.

Yes. The current govt are the best the Irish can muster. It may not be run as well as people might wish. But that's a reflection of their own capabilities. Voting for the less competent people would indeed have it more poorly run.

So you admit FG are total ****e. You just think the other parties are a little tiny tiny bit more ****e? :P

*she says wryly*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

There needs to be an emergency cabinet meeting today with an immediate mandate for all "sitting" Fine Gael TDs to travel over to the UK to learn from their politicans how to use a swing. Cushions and supervisors (6 year old local children) will be provided.

0_Boris-Johnson-unveils-new-sports-equipment.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Leo's stance on all this says it all about FG, thought we had moved on from complete chancers running the country (like Bertie who won it on the horses.....) lifelong voter no more. Enough said.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

So you admit FG are total ****e. You just think the other parties are a little tiny tiny bit more ****e? :P

*she says wryly*

Well, I wouldn't say s#ite exactly. But mediocre, sure. It has always been thus for the Irish. They have always acknowledged this themselves - agreeing since state foundation that those in govt aren't up to much. Which reflect the consistently poor ability of the Irish to govern themselves.
    However, the 'rest', oddballs, independents, and gunmen, are even worse charlatans, exploiting this voter weakness for electioneering snake oil promises.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Billcarson

I presume he must have been sarcastic. Well i just voted and all fg and ff candidates were bottom of my preference . Independents and sf got my votes.

Billcarson wrote: »
    I presume he must have been sarcastic. Well u just voted and all fg and ff candidates were bottom of my preference . Independents and sf got my votes.

Its none of my business who you vote for whether you vote SF FG FF or the monster loony people. :)

Well, I wouldn't say s#ite exactly. But mediocre, sure. It has always been thus for the Irish. They have always acknowledged this themselves - agreeing since state foundation that those in govt aren't up to much. Which reflect the consistently poor ability of the Irish to govern themselves.
    However, the 'rest', oddballs, independents, and gunmen, are even worse charlatans, exploiting this voter weakness for electioneering snake oil promises.

This attitude is the reason why the current government behave the way they do i.e. they fear no consequences because the fickle Irish voter is afraid to change their voting strategy. Accountability is a foreign concept to Fine Gael, which is why you have exponential cost overruns for the Children's Hospital, Rural Broadband etc.

Voting Independent today will send a message.
    At the very least, "anybody but Fine Gael" would also send a message to Leo the Liar.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

This government, while not quite at the level of Cowen-era FF toxicity, is doing it's best to match their efforts. There's an unearned air of smugness off many of the cabinet given their dismal performance on a few fronts (chiefly housing, health and cost of living - insurance being the worst offender).

Thinking about it, it's difficult to even give them credit for the recent economic growth spurt. The Troika effectively ran the books and put state finances back in order for a number of years, and they were lucky to enjoy strong external positive economic headwinds from the major world economies.

Yurt! wrote: »
    This government, while not quite at the level of Cowen-era FF toxicity, is doing it's best to match their efforts. There's an unearned air of smugness off many of the cabinet given their dismal performance on a few fronts (chiefly housing, health and cost of living - insurance being the worst offender).

Thinking about it, it's difficult to even give them credit for the recent economic growth spurt. The Troika effectively ran the books and put state finances back in order for a number of years, and they were lucky to enjoy strong external positive economic headwinds from the major world economies.

Sometimes the mistake is not who you vote for but leaving who you vote for in too long.

This 'sending a message' syndrome is just a childish lashout though. You must vote for the best available, and curb any frustration and desire to vote for lesser candidates just to 'punish' the best you've got. It's silly. It's the syndrome that brings, Trump, Brexit, and flirting with national front type nonsense.
    Resist anti-voting. Vote responsibly. Vote correctly. Don't make things worse by voting for independents who just screw up the workings of politics.

• Advertisement

This 'sending a message' syndrome is just a childish lashout though. You must vote for the best available, and curb any frustration and desire to vote for lesser candidates just to 'punish' the best you've got. It's silly. It's the syndrome that brings, Trump, Brexit, and flirting with national front type nonsense.
    Resist anti-voting. Vote responsibly. Vote correctly. Don't make things worse by voting for independents who just screw up the workings of politics.

Ah, nice one; we are racist now if we don't vote Fine Gael.
    Jesus, I've heard it all now.
    "Best available"? How do we know what the "best" is if we don't give new Independents an opportunity to change things.

And change is what this country sorely needs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement