Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turas Nua

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

And if you are busy with something stupid like a job interview you might get written up for missing your very important turas nua appointment where they personally hand you the letter detailing your next appointment.

And anyways you're not working so there's no possible reason to object to travelling 25 minutes to wait 15 minutes for a 5 minute appointment, it's a perfectly fine use of everyone's time!
    You can contact them beforehand to tell them you have an interview that day and they will rearrange the meeting.

I was on Jobpath and found them to be fairly useless but also harmless as long as I filled out their forms and attended meetings. I was applying for jobs so I had no problem putting that down on the forms. In saying that I lived within walking distance of the office so I can see how people who had to travel miles would have their whole day disrupted for a 5 minute meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

El_Bee wrote: »
    So you work for citizens information, sitting around looking up stuff on google all day, nice work if you can find it, and by that I mean have a relative who works there to get you in.

I don’t work for citizens information either.
    You’ll have to guess again.
    But I do know two sisters close to me who do.
    And I don’t think you’d like it El Bee.
    Lots of abuse from people who don’t like the answers they’re being given.
    Lots of form filling for people who can’t speak English despite being in Ireland for 10+ years.
    Being blamed when people are refused things they’ve applied for.
    Of course if you want to work in one of these fab jobs there’s absolutely nothing you for going for the next vacancy. Is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

splinter65 wrote: »
    I don’t work for citizens information either.
    You’ll have to guess again.
    But I do know two sisters close to me who do.
    And I don’t think you’d like it El Bee.
    Lots of abuse from people who don’t like the answers they’re being given.
    Lots of form filling for people who can’t speak English despite being in Ireland for 10+ years.
    Being blamed when people are refused things they’ve applied for.
    Of course if you want to work in one of these fab jobs there’s absolutely nothing you for going for the next vacancy. Is there?

Show me one vacancy for citizen information, there are none, it's a closed shop for friends and relatives, like 90% of the public sector, must be nice to be handed a do nothing makework job then look down your noses at people struggling to find work.

Show me one vacancy for citizen information, there are none, it's a closed shop for friends and relatives, like 90% of the public sector, must be nice to be handed a do nothing makework job then look down your noses at people struggling to find work.

Here you go. Knock yourself out. Hope you get it.
    http://www.citizensinformationboard.ie/en/news/vacancies/cisio20190704.html

Funny. I don’t see anything in the job description about sitting around googling stuff, but go ahead anyway.

Funny. I don’t see anything in the job description about sitting around googling stuff, but go ahead anyway.

Thanks for the link and pay no heed to the begrudgers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

You can contact them beforehand to tell them you have an interview that day and they will rearrange the meeting.

I was on Jobpath and found them to be fairly useless but also harmless as long as I filled out their forms and attended meetings. I was applying for jobs so I had no problem putting that down on the forms. In saying that I lived within walking distance of the office so I can see how people who had to travel miles would have their whole day disrupted for a 5 minute meeting.

I'd agree that they're fairly harmless (pestering emails and calls once I found work aside, but that's more of an annoyance than anything). I don't even have a problem with having to travel to the meetings - the office I had to go to was about 10 miles away but as others have said I was unemployed anyway, it's hardly the end of the world. If they actually helped people get employed I'd be singing the praises of the scheme. But that's the problem. They don't help. It's a box ticking exercise.

I'm baffled that so many people who have an issue with the government spending so much money on unemployment benefits seem to sing the praises of this scheme that spends even more money on the unemployed with no results. It's a complete waste of taxpayer's money.

I'd agree that they're fairly harmless (pestering emails and calls once I found work aside, but that's more of an annoyance than anything). I don't even have a problem with having to travel to the meetings - the office I had to go to was about 10 miles away but as others have said I was unemployed anyway, it's hardly the end of the world. If they actually helped people get employed I'd be singing the praises of the scheme. But that's the problem. They don't help. It's a box ticking exercise.

I'm baffled that so many people who have an issue with the government spending so much money on unemployment benefits seem to sing the praises of this scheme that spends even more money on the unemployed with no results. It's a complete waste of taxpayer's money.

It's a do nothing makework program, none of the EA's have a background in recruitment or HR.

Tipperary, aren't you hilarious.

Key tasks for the post include the direct delivery of information, advice, advocacy and referral services, and liaison with other service providers - statutory and voluntary.

either you can't read between the lines or you're just trolling at this point, probably a little of both.

Tipperary, aren't you hilarious.

either you can't read between the lines or you're just trolling at this point, probably a little of both.

What’s wrong with Tipperary? Are you too good for Tipperary?You said there were no information officer jobs advertised, there are.
    You took a very very small part of a long job description and posted it. Why?
    If you don’t like Tipp maybe you like Longford.
    http://www.citizensinformationboard.ie/en/news/vacancies/cisio20190702.html

Funny how many jobs there are when you’re actually looking for one....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

splinter65 wrote:
    Funny how many jobs there are when you’re actually looking for one....

You don't even try hide your prejudice

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Just put him on ignore, they're obviously just here to trash people looking for work and defend Turas Nua.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

Gympodie wrote: »
    Jeez, after doing a bit of researching - I am not hearing great things.

Any advice on how I should carry myself during the group session plus the one-on-one meetings?

If the apply for jobs for me, I hope they take into consideration that I don't drive and rely on public transport.

Sure if your on the dole for a long time they are there to help you, but one needs to ask why you are not working??

What prejudice? The only one showing prejudice is El Bee. He/she said that there were never any vacancies for information officers in CIC.
    A quick google showed up a vacancy for information officer in Tipp.
    I posted a link to it but he/she sneered at the idea of working in Tipp so a clear prejudice there.
    I’ve now posted a link to another vacancy for information officer in Longford. I assume he/she has no prejudice against Longford?
    Well have to wait and see.
    But it really is amazing how quickly you can find vacancies in a particular area, if you want to find them. Isn’t it?

Just put him on ignore, they're obviously just here to trash people looking for work and defend Turas Nua.

Did you apply for the Longford job El Bee. Hopefully you’ll get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Well you’ll just have to find out who I am. Find out where I live. Find out where I work. Find out who my boss is.
    And write them a letter.

Oh I'm not that vindictive! People are though!

Progress from the last thread anyway where you were refusing to answer whether you were at all connected by employment or other relationship to any relevant agencies. I see we've also moved on from the position of their amazing skill at identifying people who should be on other payments making up for their abysmal failure at finding people jobs :D

As for getting written up for job interviews, happened to someone I know. IN THEORY it shouldn't happen but IN REALITY most of the advisors are pretty crap and forget things.

I had warned my own employer that they might be ringing him to try take credit for me finding a job. He said he and a few other small business owners are pretty fed up with them calling.

Oh I'm not that vindictive! People are though!

Progress from the last thread anyway where you were refusing to answer whether you were at all connected by employment or other relationship to any relevant agencies. I see we've also moved on from the position of their amazing skill at identifying people who should be on other payments making up for their abysmal failure at finding people jobs :D

As for getting written up for job interviews, happened to someone I know. IN THEORY it shouldn't happen but IN REALITY most of the advisors are pretty crap and forget things.

I had warned my own employer that they might be ringing him to try take credit for me finding a job. He said he and a few other small business owners are pretty fed up with them calling.

I really am lost regarding most of this post.
    I’ve not told you were I work.
    You can be banned from this site for demanding to know where people work but I can’t be bothered reporting you or your threat (baseless) to inform my boss.
    TN do (quite easily, it’s not rocket science) identify JSA recipients who should be on other payments.
    What are you going on about “writing up for interviews”?!?
    Which advisors are crap??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

So you work for citizens information, sitting around looking up stuff on google all day, nice work if you can find it, and by that I mean have a relative who works there to get you in.
    I wonder if your posts and interactions here would be of interest to your employer? Are you this incredulous, dismissive and rude to people's faces when you're dealing with them and just have to get a bit extra in in the evenings or is it more of a keyboard warrior thing?
    Reading his input on these threads it's very clear he works for Seetec/Social protection.
    I don't believe you, you're way too knowledgeable and too invested in defending them.
    Video wrote: »
    If you don't work for Social Protection and you have a job why are you speaking on a Turas Nua thread ? have you got anything better to be doing than assuming people unemployed for 2 weeks have nothing to do during the week? .. Just here for the thrills are you?

MOD NOTE:
    Any body posting on this forum is doing so in a personal capacity, and there is no proefessional links setup at this time with DEASP, Citizen's Information, Turas Nua, Seetec, or any similar organisations.
    If you have any issue with a post, you REPORT it, not drag the thread off topic.
    Also, it is a public forum, and anyone is allowed post here, as long as their posts are in line with the forum charter.

As for a threat to report someone to their employer... take this a first and last warning. That is in no way acceptable.

Any further dragging of this thread off topic will result in a ban from the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

My advisor seem to be adapting a bit of a more cold, and stand offish attitude towards me.Mind you i was warned about this.There is one individual in particular who seems to be quite a nasty piece of work.Thankfully i've had no dealings with him yet.Im all for help with regards to finding employment.But Seetec/Turas Nua are vultures, and the sooner this horrid scheme is abolished, and replaced with a program that actually cares about the welfare of jobseekers the better.Now there is people on this and that have been on this that are, and have been worse off than me.

But from talking to the other clients, the feeling is that these people are not out to help you.There are there to look down their nose, exploit and belittle you.Please god when i do find employment, and when they do ring me, asking for the details about the employment.Then i'll be sure to tell them where to go.But yeah it looks like the number, is hopefully up for this shower.Seetec Turas Nua, does the name actually matter?We're dealing with two sides of the same coin here.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blowin3

I have met the PA from hell. When I explained to her that I work at the moment full time hours but keep on X and Os due the fact its agency work only making a claim maybe one day a month that I work a short week. She first indicated that I generated the one day a month to keep my claim alive I said it was impossible unless I went out sick. She than basically ordered me to sign off when I said no she told me to produce all this paper work for our next meeting. This lady was really nasty and if you let her she would walk all over you. At the end she told me I needed to find a full time job I told her I already had be it agency she said well you need a job so you won't be generating a claim. By the way I refused to sign any contract PPP with them as already stated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

If you have the evidence of the job interviews then there’ll be no problem with changing the time of your JobPath session. You can search for work at the TN office and they might have suggestions of other potential employers.
    I’d be glad of it if it were me.

Glad to go onto a scheme with a 4% success rate?

Anyway, my Jobpath is done by Seetec and it is nothing close to several times a week, so stop with the inaccurate nonsense/scaremongering .

In fact it's not even once a week. Or once a fortnight. I have to go once every month. Why? Because there is no point in bringing in people any more frequently than that, because Jobpath has nothing to offer them, and is winding down.

• Advertisement

Sure if your on the dole for a long time they are there to help you, but one needs to ask why you are not working??

Lol, you obviously have no experience of the scheme if you think they help. Google the success rate.

Why would you imagine someone isn't working, champ? There are very few jobs in some areas of the country. Have a look at the amount of jobs in Donegal. Take out Pramerica, who have over 100 ads on the go 365 days a year because it's more a free ad for the company than an actual vacancy, there's less than 50 jobs in the whole county. And if you're not driving as has been stated then you are severely limited.

This is a discussion forum. There are no restrictions on who can comment where about what.
    Why did you think otherwise?
    I don’t assume you have nothing better to do then look for work. When you applied for Jobseekers you agreed that you were available for an looking for full time work. So you can easily be in Seetec/TN for a couple of hours a week.
    It’s part of your contract with DEASP anyway.

But they don't bring people in every week so why do you keep saying that? You don't have as much knowledge as you claim, actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Sorry,but you are just refering to your own experience,I think?
    Was on it a while ago,and had a dragon of a p.a.
    Was in three times a week (40 minute drive each way).The various sessions ( half an hour with p.a,job search on the computer,and random training scheme) could have been together on one long day,but that didn't happen.
    Think it's very much down to the discretion of your personal advisor.

But they don't bring people in every week so why do you keep saying that? You don't have as much knowledge as you claim, actually.

Actually just because they only bring you in once a month that doesn’t mean that everyone has the same experience as you. What are you doing in Donegal if your looking for a job and there’s no jobs there? And what are you moaning about anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 LW3112

blowin3 wrote: »
    I have met the PA from hell. When I explained to her that I work at the moment full time hours but keep on X and Os due the fact its agency work only making a claim maybe one day a month that I work a short week. She first indicated that I generated the one day a month to keep my claim alive I said it was impossible unless I went out sick. She than basically ordered me to sign off when I said no she told me to produce all this paper work for our next meeting. This lady was really nasty and if you let her she would walk all over you. At the end she told me I needed to find a full time job I told her I already had be it agency she said well you need a job so you won't be generating a claim. By the way I refused to sign any contract PPP with them as already stated.

From TN's point of view (and the DSP's really), once you're claiming any jobseekers payment, you should still be seeking a full time, permanent post as a precondition of having your claim open. Unfortunately, you fall into a really grey area where you are actually working full-time already and only using the claim as a sort-of insurance. This is one of the problems with the Jobpath program - people like you will find it very onerous to engage with their appointments and demands if you are already working full-time (especially office) hours.

In fairness, whilst a lot of PA's might lack recruitment skills, most are not tyrants. You appear to gotten a bad one. If they continue to be unreasonable, you have a right to make a complaint. They absolutely have to work around your employment. Some advisors might let you call in for 5 mins during lunch hour once a fortnight given your specific situation, just to update them on CV's that you have sent out.

Are there any other payments such as WFP which might better fit your situation then X's and O's? There probably isn't, but it might be worth exploring your entitlements with the DSP?

Alternatively, if you are only claiming about a day a month, and this has been consistent for some time now, it might be worth just closing the claim. This doesn't prevent you from reapplying if your situation changes. I wish i had a better suggestion, agency workers like yourself shouldn't be referred to TN as it just isn't a suitable scheme, however thats the massive drawback in the supposedly random referrals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

But you get traveling expenses so what’s the problem ?

But theyre not helping, theyre not even qualified to help.
    The older system worked great, long term unemployed people where given appointments with qualified guidance counselors who talked them through their options and helped them gain employment.
    I was sent to a guidance counselor through the social welfare years ago and she was fantastic, I could speak openly to her, she knew everything about ce schemes, courses to upskill, entitlements, further education and postgrad courses, she helped me find a job, she gave me numbers to ring and put in a good word for me, she even offered to be a referee on my cv as I was out of college with no experience.
    She got me a job after id been unemployed for two years and at my wits end.

The place where I was working unfortunately closed the business so I went back to college and did a postgrad, after which I found it incredibly hard to find another job and was sent to seetec. I was delighted about this after id had such an excellent experience with the previous employment adviser, I thought I was going to get help either by getting a job or information on the best courses to upskill but I was hugely disappointed, The employment adviser was rude and invasive from the minute I sat down at her desk.
    She hasn't got a clue about anything, she's not trained or qualified, she sent me one email with a job advertisement that im not even qualified to do, she speaks down to clients like we're scum, she used to work in retail and now gets her kicks threatening unemployed people.
    Which is the better option? qualified guidance counselors or retail workers on a power trip?
    Seetec is a total failure and a very expensive one at that, the statistics prove it. Theyre offering no help whatsoever to anyone.

Actually just because they only bring you in once a month that doesn’t mean that everyone has the same experience as you. What are you doing in Donegal if your looking for a job and there’s no jobs there? And what are you moaning about anyway?

Uh, I live there, that okay with you?

You seem to really think it's your right to question people's circumstances. If I felt like it, I could easily explain why I have to live here. But I don't really feel the need to do that with someone as disdainful as yourself.

Do you think people are really unable to figure out that they might need to relocate to get work? How do you propose someone get the money to do that? Where is someone out of work going to pull the ball of cash from to move to a city where rents are astronomical right now?

You haven't a clue where people are coming from on this issue, so please catch this ignore button.

LW3112 wrote:
    In fairness, whilst a lot of PA's might lack recruitment skills, most are not tyrants. You appear to gotten a bad one. If they continue to be unreasonable, you have a right to make a complaint. They absolutely have to work around your employment. Some advisors might let you call in for 5 mins during lunch hour once a fortnight given your specific situation, just to update them on CV's that you have sent out.

On your lunch(rest) break?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 LW3112

On your lunch(rest) break?

Yes. Unfortunately you can't expect the employers to grant time off for it. If someone is doing full-time office hours there is no other option.

I'm no fan of the colossal waste of tax payer money either, but that doesn't change the fact that TN exist, and everyone who is being forced to engage has to work with that as best they can.

People often use lunch hour for various appointments etc, doctors, barbers, opticians, post office or banking business etc. This is no different, if you want to keep the claim open, it's another appointment every few weeks if TN agree to be reasonable. It's hard to think of any less onerous solution.

• Advertisement

LW3112 wrote: »
    Yes. Unfortunately you can't expect the employers to grant time off for it. If someone is doing full-time office hours there is no other option.

I'm no fan of the colossal waste of tax payer money either, but that doesn't change the fact that TN exist, and everyone who is being forced to engage has to work with that as best they can.

People often use lunch hour for various appointments etc, doctors, barbers, opticians, post office or banking business etc. This is no different, if you want to keep the claim open, it's another appointment every few weeks if TN agree to be reasonable. It's hard to think of any less onerous solution.

i disagree, breaks are for resting

Advertisement