Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turas Nua

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blowin3

AiryFairy have you called the number to complain? I had an issue with an EA (it wasn't even my EA, but I showed up to a meeting the day after my fathers funeral only to find that my EA had quit, Seetec never bothered to contact any of her clients to tell them she wouldnt be there or make any arrangements, yet the other EA told me to sit at a computer and 'look for jobs' while she finished with another client and I just wasn't having it.)

After I complained the manager came to my next meeting, and my replacement EA never gave me any issues. Funny thing was, though, the manager looked at my CV and said she was surprised I was having trouble finding work and would make getting me a job her 'special project.'

Never heard from her again, did I? and was not referred to a single job in 12 months. I have now been sent back to it for another 12 months, despite having got a job for 6 months after finishing the first stint. The trouble is not me or my employability, it's location. If you look on jobs ie there are about 30 jobs listed in the entire Donegal county. I have no car so am limited to my inmediate town as public transport is a joke.

Anyway, the rumour is that Jobpath, at least in Donegal, is to be scrapped in December. I'm not surprised, if they can't get someone like me, mid 30s, with a degree and experience in various fields ANY kind of a job, what are they doing for other people?

Hopefully it will be scrapped nationwide. In fairness my new EA, while utterly useless, is nice and never puts any pressure on me.

I would make a complaint, request a new EA, and hopefully in 6 months this money wasting farce will be gone.

All 3 EAs I've had told me their last jobs were in retail.

Sorry about your Dad never easy. They are a total joke .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭Worztron

AiryFairy have you called the number to complain? I had an issue with an EA (it wasn't even my EA, but I showed up to a meeting the day after my fathers funeral only to find that my EA had quit, Seetec never bothered to contact any of her clients to tell them she wouldnt be there or make any arrangements, yet the other EA told me to sit at a computer and 'look for jobs' while she finished with another client and I just wasn't having it.)

After I complained the manager came to my next meeting, and my replacement EA never gave me any issues. Funny thing was, though, the manager looked at my CV and said she was surprised I was having trouble finding work and would make getting me a job her 'special project.'

Never heard from her again, did I? and was not referred to a single job in 12 months. I have now been sent back to it for another 12 months, despite having got a job for 6 months after finishing the first stint. The trouble is not me or my employability, it's location. If you look on jobs ie there are about 30 jobs listed in the entire Donegal county. I have no car so am limited to my inmediate town as public transport is a joke.

Anyway, the rumour is that Jobpath, at least in Donegal, is to be scrapped in December. I'm not surprised, if they can't get someone like me, mid 30s, with a degree and experience in various fields ANY kind of a job, what are they doing for other people?

Hopefully it will be scrapped nationwide. In fairness my new EA, while utterly useless, is nice and never puts any pressure on me.

I would make a complaint, request a new EA, and hopefully in 6 months this money wasting farce will be gone.

All 3 EAs I've had told me their last jobs were in retail.

Hi AT. What does EA stand for?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi AT. What does EA stand for?

reckon he means personal advisor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Employment Advisor which is what they call them up here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Just to be pedantic, jobpath isn't run by Turas Nua in Donegal, its run by People 1st.

• Advertisement

Just to be pedantic, jobpath isn't run by Turas Nua in Donegal, its run by People 1st.

I know that, I was responding to AiryFairy who was asking about Seetec, which is People 1st.

If anyone wants a real insight into either company have a look at what former employees have to say on the glassdoor site. Both say that the companies are afraid of ever being audited by the DSP as they are totally lying about their success rates and stats.

My favorite one has the headline "Attributes needed to progress in company: delusion, proficient liar, bully & a fraudulent character"

It also says their contract ends in 2020 so hopefully it will be going the way of Jobbridge consigned to the dustbin. Both awful, abusive schemes that wasted a ton of money and didn't get anyone into work that couldn't have gotten it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭Worztron

Employment Advisor which is what they call them up here.

Ok, thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Anyway, according to an article dated May 26 in the times UK Ireland section Jobpath is definitely being scrapped end of this year.

IMO this didnt get covered enough in the Irish news. 2nd failed Job____ scheme by this government.

Considering I already did 12 months on it once I think it's ridiculous I have to still go until the end of the year when they can deliver nothing for me or for the 96% that havent got work since starting it.

182 million well spent to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

I had to go to the group session last week after signing on 2 weeks ago, i have a meeting tomorrow with a case officer, how often am i to expect this sort of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Video wrote:
    I had to go to the group session last week after signing on 2 weeks ago, i have a meeting tomorrow with a case officer, how often am i to expect this sort of thing?

Couple of times a week I believe, could be wrong there, but somebody who has experienced this will probably reply soon.

Consider creating an exclusive email address just for this process, delete it upon completion

Consider getting another phone/sim, destroy upon completion

Best of luck with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Video wrote: »

You’re not busy during the day at all during the week so it could be as much as 3 times a week until your successful in finding full time work.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

splinter65 wrote:
    You’re not busy during the day at all during the week so it could be as much as 3 times a week until your successful in finding full time work.

Do you know video personally?

Wanderer78 wrote: »

No. People who are looking for and available for full time work are available to attend JobPath sessions. It’s a condition of being in receipt of a Jobseekers payment.
    If your not available for JobPath then you can’t get Jobseekers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

splinter65 wrote: »

And if you are busy with something stupid like a job interview you might get written up for missing your very important turas nua appointment where they personally hand you the letter detailing your next appointment.

And anyways you're not working so there's no possible reason to object to travelling 25 minutes to wait 15 minutes for a 5 minute appointment, it's a perfectly fine use of everyone's time!

Yes i am, going to job interviews and searching for work. You may not but i have more productive things to do with my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Reading his input on these threads it's very clear he works for Seetec/Social protection.

Yes i am, going to job interviews and searching for work. You may not but i have more productive things to do with my time.

If you have the evidence of the job interviews then there’ll be no problem with changing the time of your JobPath session. You can search for work at the TN office and they might have suggestions of other potential employers.
    I’d be glad of it if it were me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Depends on where you live. If you're in a town/city it could be multiple times a week. If you're in a rural area it could be every couple of weeks.

If you have the evidence of the job interviews then there’ll be no problem with changing the time of your JobPath session. You can search for work at the TN office and they might have suggestions of other potential employers.
    I’d be glad of it if it were me.

Why?

El_Bee wrote: »
    Reading his input on these threads it's very clear he works for Seetec/Social protection.

No I don’t . I’m not even a he. I work at a job where I hear a lot of people very frustrated at having to be available for work.

• Advertisement

Why?

If I were looking for a job and had got nothing after a couple of weeks and someone was offering to help me to find something then I’d give it a chance.

And if you are busy with something stupid like a job interview you might get written up for missing your very important turas nua appointment where they personally hand you the letter detailing your next appointment.

And anyways you're not working so there's no possible reason to object to travelling 25 minutes to wait 15 minutes for a 5 minute appointment, it's a perfectly fine use of everyone's time!

But you get traveling expenses so what’s the problem ?

If I were looking for a job and had got nothing after a couple of weeks and someone was offering to help me to find something then I’d give it a chance.

I spent a few months on Jobpath last year (people 1st if it matters, but by the sound of posts on here they're all much the same).

I can assure you they did not by any stretch of the imagination help me find work.

Once I found work they were only too eager to get in contact though. Until my boss told them where to go citing GDPR.

No I don’t . I’m not even a he. I work at a job where I hear a lot of people very frustrated at having to be available for work.

I don't believe you, you're way too knowledgeable and too invested in defending them.

If you don't work for Social Protection and you have a job why are you speaking on a Turas Nua thread ? have you got anything better to be doing than assuming people unemployed for 2 weeks have nothing to do during the week? .. Just here for the thrills are you?

El_Bee wrote: »
    I don't believe you, you're way too knowledgeable and too invested in defending them.

I’m knowledgeable about entitlements and benefits and rights in all the government departments because it’s my job to direct people to the right area to get help.
    It’s also my job to tell people that there are obligations and conditions with all entitlements.
    Some people don’t want to hear that part of it.
    It’s totally unimportant to me or anyone else here wether you believe me or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I wonder if your posts and interactions here would be of interest to your employer? Are you this incredulous, dismissive and rude to people's faces when you're dealing with them and just have to get a bit extra in in the evenings or is it more of a keyboard warrior thing?

If you don't work for Social Protection and you have a job why are you speaking on a Turas Nua thread ? have you got anything better to be doing than assuming people unemployed for 2 weeks have nothing to do during the week? .. Just here for the thrills are you?

This is a discussion forum. There are no restrictions on who can comment where about what.
    Why did you think otherwise?
    I don’t assume you have nothing better to do then look for work. When you applied for Jobseekers you agreed that you were available for an looking for full time work. So you can easily be in Seetec/TN for a couple of hours a week.
    It’s part of your contract with DEASP anyway.

I wonder if your posts and interactions here would be of interest to your employer? Are you this incredulous, dismissive and rude to people's faces when you're dealing with them and just have to get a bit extra in in the evenings or is it more of a keyboard warrior thing?

Well you’ll just have to find out who I am. Find out where I live. Find out where I work. Find out who my boss is.
    And write them a letter.

• Advertisement

I’m knowledgeable about entitlements and benefits and rights in all the government departments because it’s my job to direct people to the right area to get help.
    It’s also my job to tell people that there are obligations and conditions with all entitlements.
    Some people don’t want to hear that part of it.
    It’s totally unimportant to me or anyone else here wether you believe me or not.

So you work for citizens information, sitting around looking up stuff on google all day, nice work if you can find it, and by that I mean have a relative who works there to get you in.

Advertisement