Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turas Nua

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Will the new company be like Seetec and TN? if so, whats the point?

The new company will probably have claimants reminiscing fondly about Seetec/TN.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Started a job today, applied and interviewed myself with no help from Seetec at all, looking forward to telling them to f**k off when they ring me up to try get the details for commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

El_Bee wrote: »
    Started a job today, applied and interviewed myself with no help from Seetec at all, looking forward to telling them to f**k off when they ring me up to try get the details for commission.

they might start hounding your boss then

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

they might start hounding your boss then

I'm not telling them where I work.

I'm not telling them where I work.

I would block their number and emails and completely cut them off with zero communication. Congrats on your new job and best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

I had the same experience with Turas Nua, I told them under no circumstance did they have any permission to contact my employer about me. Seemed a little invasive of my privacy, seeing as I got the job myself.

The only way to get through when they apply for jobs you're not qualified for was to attend the interviews and tell the employer this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

splinter65 wrote: »
    The new company will probably have claimants reminiscing fondly about Seetec/TN.

Reminiscing fondly about an 18% success rate?

See, this attitude by people working in the sector is why these schemes fail. They think people on the dole just don't want to work and that harassment is the cure. In this case the companies are simply not qualified or capable. That's why people hate the scheme, it's a waste of time (and millions of taxpayer cash).

The small minority who don't want to work or are unemployable, no amount of harassment is going to help anyway. All these schemes are for is to move money into different peoplea hands and appease the dole bashers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Reminiscing fondly about an 18% success rate?

See, this attitude by people working in the sector is why these schemes fail. They think people on the dole just don't want to work and that harassment is the cure. In this case the companies are simply not qualified or capable. That's why people hate the scheme, it's a waste of time (and millions of taxpayer cash).

The small minority who don't want to work or are unemployable, no amount of harassment is going to help anyway. All these schemes are for is to move money into different peoplea hands and appease the dole bashers.

+1 for this
    Im now looking at options abroad as I just cant get suitable work in this country, I dont know what more I can do to make myself employable, I have the right qualifications, employers are telling me they dont care about qualifications they only care about experience, I have experience but not enough for them, how can I get the experience if they only want to employ people who have lots of experience.
    So sick of being stuck in a rut, unable to start my life, jumping through hoops just to get a job with livable wage, bending over backwards to please employers who then hire someone with less experience or qualifications because they know them.

Theres a very small amount of people who dont want to work, the rest of us are pulling our hair out trying to get jobs while also listening to people fortunate enough to be in secure jobs tell us that its our own fault that we're unemployed, we're lazy and we dont want to work.

Same as, fairy. fcuk this place and this government. 152 million for Jobpath.

And that 18% success rate I mentioned, that was actually wrong. The latest numbers say only 6% got a job that lasted for a year. You wouldn't know what to believe as former employees have said they are constantly pulling strokes and higher ups are in a panic about getting audited.

One stroke they pulled was they originally would not let people do CE schemes as they wouldn't get paid for that (not surprising as CE schemes are all about free workers, basically government sponsored slave labour and their 'wages' are just the dole plus 20 euro)

Obviously they fought to change that as many of their clients were unable to get offers of any other 'employment' besides CE and many wanted to do a scheme to avoid Jobpath. But I don't see the point in that as CE jobs are only part time and they make part time workers go to Jobpath as well. My mate works part time in a pub and his partner just had a baby, they still make him go.

Considering that I'm on my 4th different advisor, it seems they are getting first pick of new jobs and are more worried about getting themselves out of Jobpath then getting the clients out of it. and every time one of them leaves that means I have to share my personal details with another stranger, explain everything about my background all over again.

Why do we have to attend these meetings when there are no job leads or referalls being provided? Why are they not lliasing with employers and setting us up with interviews? I imagine it's because employers are not interested in people who are on jobpath. They probably think it's scraping the bottom of the barrel and they don't need to do that, it's still an employers market in most sectors and geographic locations. All they have to do is put an ad up so why would they go through Jobpath? I'd say the only way an employer would go through them is if it's an absolutely horrible job for crap pay that they can't get anyone for.

Nothing about the scheme makes sense. It doesn't work, and only exists to satisfy the bog standard FG voter who thinks the unemployed are all lazy layabouts that live the high life on their dime. But this scheme is a huge expense of a staggering 152 million that has done nothing, absolutely nothing to help reduce the numbers on the dole, the only ones got jobs out of it are the ones running it. and they don't even stick around.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Daniel1986

I'm after my first meeting it wasn't that bad, but it's a total waste of time ...

I told him about my 10 years of experience in management and IT, and he offered me a job in MCDONALD'S as a shop assistant... I respectfully declined the offer.

Another meeting in 2 weeks, and honestly I have no idea how they could possibly assist me with finding full-time meaningful employment.

• Advertisement

Same as, fairy. fcuk this place and this government. 152 million for Jobpath.

And that 18% success rate I mentioned, that was actually wrong. The latest numbers say only 6% got a job that lasted for a year. You wouldn't know what to believe as former employees have said they are constantly pulling strokes and higher ups are in a panic about getting audited.

One stroke they pulled was they originally would not let people do CE schemes as they wouldn't get paid for that (not surprising as CE schemes are all about free workers, basically government sponsored slave labour and their 'wages' are just the dole plus 20 euro)

Obviously they fought to change that as many of their clients were unable to get offers of any other 'employment' besides CE and many wanted to do a scheme to avoid Jobpath. But I don't see the point in that as CE jobs are only part time and they make part time workers go to Jobpath as well. My mate works part time in a pub and his partner just had a baby, they still make him go.

Considering that I'm on my 4th different advisor, it seems they are getting first pick of new jobs and are more worried about getting themselves out of Jobpath then getting the clients out of it. and every time one of them leaves that means I have to share my personal details with another stranger, explain everything about my background all over again.

Why do we have to attend these meetings when there are no job leads or referalls being provided? Why are they not lliasing with employers and setting us up with interviews? I imagine it's because employers are not interested in people who are on jobpath. They probably think it's scraping the bottom of the barrel and they don't need to do that, it's still an employers market in most sectors and geographic locations. All they have to do is put an ad up so why would they go through Jobpath? I'd say the only way an employer would go through them is if it's an absolutely horrible job for crap pay that they can't get anyone for.

Nothing about the scheme makes sense. It doesn't work, and only exists to satisfy the bog standard FG voter who thinks the unemployed are all lazy layabouts that live the high life on their dime. But this scheme is a huge expense of a staggering 152 million that has done nothing, absolutely nothing to help reduce the numbers on the dole, the only ones got jobs out of it are the ones running it. and they don't even stick around.

I cant see how employers would be interested in people being referred on by jobpath, whether the potential employee wants to be there or not, theres a stigma attached to people on the dole and id imagine employers would feel theyre interviewing people who are forced to be there and didnt apply for the job off their own back or out of interest of employment.
    Its also humiliating for employees to have jobpath ringing their new place of work, surely thats counter productive as it doesnt make anyone look good. Like we need to be checked up on as if we cant be trusted to hold down a job and on the employers side surely it looks like we've been forced into applying for the position. Its degrading on so many levels.
    As for CE schemes, searching for jobs, every second one is community employment scheme, most of them - besides the odd vincent de paul shop assistant jobs - are actual jobs that could be offered to people under permanent employment - is this not counter productive? Instead of offering the unemployed person a permanent job, theyre offered a short term work experience placement.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I cant see how employers would be interested in people being referred on by jobpath, whether the potential employee wants to be there or not, theres a stigma attached to people on the dole and id imagine employers would feel theyre interviewing people who are forced to be there and didnt apply for the job off their own back or out of interest of employment.
    Its also humiliating for employees to have jobpath ringing their new place of work, surely thats counter productive as it doesnt make anyone look good. Like we need to be checked up on as if we cant be trusted to hold down a job and on the employers side surely it looks like we've been forced into applying for the position. Its degrading on so many levels.
    As for CE schemes, searching for jobs, every second one is community employment scheme, most of them - besides the odd vincent de paul shop assistant jobs - are actual jobs that could be offered to people under permanent employment - is this not counter productive? Instead of offering the unemployed person a permanent job, theyre offered a short term work experience placement.
    CE schemes exist to keep the supervisors in employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

I'd say the only way an employer would go through them is if it's an absolutely horrible job for crap pay that they can't get anyone for.

call centers

Well as if this farce of a program couldn't be any more laughable, I showed up to my first appointment to my new employment advisor (the 4th one now over 2 stints) and guess where they got this new fella...

From JOBPATH!

When I told him how frustrating it was that there were so few jobs in this area he said, 'No one knows that more than me, six weeks ago I was sitting in that chair,' pointing to the one I was sitting in. 'The program worked for me,' he went on to say.

What a joke. This is undoubtedly a 'success story' for Jobpath who are so desperate to improve their stats they are filling vacant positions from their own clients. What I want to know is, are they able to claim a bonus for this off the government, in addition to having our government pay his wages? They're getting paid twice for this sham?

How is some fella who, if it weren't for Jobpath giving him work, couldn't get himself a job, in any way qualified to be assisting jobseekers in searching for work.

I swear to God, this country is a sick place. This program is not fit for purpose. None of the EAs before him wanted to stay and their number one priority was getting a job for themselves to leave Jobpath and now this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

This dead horse is being flogged for at least another year.Brexit is being used, as the excuse to continue with this crappy scheme.:rolleyes:

https://www.thejournal.ie/jobpath-extended-12-months-4824453-Sep2019/

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

This dead horse is being flogged for at least another year.Brexit is being used, as the excuse to continue with this crappy scheme.:rolleyes:

Oh well, 70+ million that's nothing...

Hey, I already had my 3 meetings now... I received 0 absolute 0 of any useful information or support. Ah no, I'm sorry he "fixed" my CV by removing my job experience form 10 years ago telling me there is no need to include it ...

My meetings are 5 minutes long, so once every 3 weeks I'm going in, to get my €5 expense money sign the list and go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Daniel1986 wrote: »
    Oh well 70+ millions that's nothing...

Hey I already had my 3 meetings now... I revived 0 absolute 0 of any useful information or support. Ah no I'm sorry he "fixed" my CV by removing my job experience form 10 years ago telling me there is no need to include it ...

My meetings are 5 minutes long, so once every 3 weeks I'm going in, to get my €5 expense money sign the list, and go home.

ah shur look at it this way, its get you out of the house and creates a few jobs, for others

This is the biggest joke and it's barely in the news at all. Regina Doherty lying again, saying the scheme is a success. And what does Brexit have to do with a scheme unfit for purpose? The Brexit vote was long over before the Dail vote to end the scheme, and was supposed to have already happened.

Watch this will be the excuse they trot out for everything they can think of to try and stay in government.

They are literally filling employment advisor positions with their own clients to help with their numbers, is she even aware of that?

I seriously hate this country, having to look at the most dishonest and incompetent numpties lying every time they open their mouth while I'm being made to feel it's my fault there are no jobs near where I live, no way to get to anywhere else on public transport, no way to save up to relocate as everything is so expensive and any city now the rents are ridiculous.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    ah shur look at it this way, its get you out of the house and creates a few jobs, for others

Unemployed people do actually leave the house and have lives. They dont need turas nua or jobpath to get them out of the house.

Would it not be better to give those people jobs that actually benefit unemployment and the community? or at the very least maybe train them properly? Or better again, theres a high number of actual qualified guidance counselors that cant get work or enough hours in schools and colleges, why not employ them in Jobpath and Turas nua as they can actually help people instead of giving these jobs to people who barely have a leaving cert and no experience outside of retail.

This is the biggest joke and it's barely in the news at all. Regina Doherty lying again, saying the scheme is a success. And what does Brexit have to do with a scheme unfit for purpose? The Brexit vote was long over before the Dail vote to end the scheme, and was supposed to have already happened.

Watch this will be the excuse they trot out for everything they can think of to try and stay in government.

They are literally filling employment advisor positions with their own clients to help with their numbers, is she even aware of that?

I seriously hate this country, having to look at the most dishonest and incompetent numpties lying every time they open their mouth while I'm being made to feel it's my fault there are no jobs near where I live, no way to get to anywhere else on public transport, no way to save up to relocate as everything is so expensive and any city now the rents are ridiculous.

She must be getting paid by them or getting some kind of commission, theres no other reason she'd be pushing for the continuation of Seetac unless she's getting something out of it.

You sound like youre very frustrated with the whole thing and rightly so, youre not alone in feeling that way but the most important thing of all is looking after your mental health, its a catch 22 at every turn right now but everything changes eventually and your situation will too.

• Advertisement

She must be getting paid by them or getting some kind of commission, theres no other reason she'd be pushing for the continuation of Seetac unless she's getting something out of it.

You sound like youre very frustrated with the whole thing and rightly so, youre not alone in feeling that way but the most important thing of all is looking after your mental health, its a catch 22 at every turn right now but everything changes eventually and your situation will too.

Thanks airyfairy, I wish it didnt bother me so much but it really does now that I'm on my 2nd stint and 4th advisor. And I'm even more annoyed now being stuck with someone they plucked from their client list who is grating on me more than any of the others already. I just had my 2nd meeting with him.

At the first meeting he asked me to send him a sample of a cover letter. And he showed me a job on indeed for a cash office assistant in town that he said I might look into. I applied for the job and sent him the cover letter I used, reluctantly, as I knew from their CV advice they have no clue, and will just look for some silly thing to criticize to justify their existence.

And he did. I didn't put the employers address at the top of the letter and this was a big problem for him. It was an email cover letter and the address of the company wasn't in the ad. When I told him I had not gotten any response from the company he acted like that could be the reason. The company knows their own address, it's not being sent in the post ffs.

Then he started saying that I might need to "change my job goals" since I'm not having luck finding work in my field. But I never said I was only looking for work in my field, ever. My 2 of my last 3 jobs weren't in what I'm qualified in. My job goals already have different things than my field on them, and they are the ones who put it on their system in the first place. The cash office assistant job I applied for is not in my field or something I have experience in, yet I applied for that. I told him I'm well aware that I'm unlikely to get my dream job in the town I'm in, it's a small rural town.

Then he suggested a job in a place that you can't get to without a car. Like the last 3 advisors he went, 'Oh, is there no bus goes out there?' No dude, there's no bus that goes out on a country road to a hotel on the coast of Donegal with nothing else around it but fields. And I had already told him hotel work is the one thing I won't do, as I worked in 2 of them before and both of them were awful, would expect you to do insane long shifts, split shifts, and work mornings after working til 4 am close breaking the laws around rest times and if you refused you suddenly got no hours. And during busy times they expected you to do all the hours god gives and then nothing during slow times, would send you home early when it suited them. I did it to get through college but would never go back to it.

This scheme is a scam and a sham. I've heard from another client in another county that her first advisor was also a former client. Only in Ireland would this be allowed to go on. Former retail assistants who were out of work long term are not qualified to find work for other people. They're taking on clients as employees to bolster their pathetic success rate, claim a bonus, and then take taxpayer money to pay wages to these unqualified people to do nothing but annoy people with unhelpful advice and show them the exact same jobs as are on indeed that I can see myself.

In fact, if you go onto their 'job portal' on their site, it is all the same as indeed, all the same jobs in the same order, even the formatting is the same, it's not anything the company does themself.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭NedLowry

What will it take for certain people to admit that this programme has been a scandalous disaster?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭FutureTeashock

Could you insist on accessing this program in Irish? It might be a technical way of getting out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Johnnycanyon

Could you insist on accessing this program in Irish? It might be a technical way of getting out of it.

Very good point, I reckon you would be totally entitled to do so and I don't reckon the cretins working in TN would be able to deal with you in Irish.

A question can TurasNua person can make my life difficult?

I'm sick of this bull**** and I'm planning on confronting them on my next meeting, and tell them to STOP calling me with this amazing job offers such us, "Telesales Consultant", "Part-Time Cashier" or "Mc Donalds Staff Member".
    And honestly every time he is offering me these jobs makes me feel that I'm a worthless piece of ****.

I'm over 30 years old with 12 years of experience in management and higher education, and I'm simply not interested in a minimum wage job.

I will repeat myself this whole program is a waste of Tax Payers money, they will do nothing for you. The courses they are offering are simply laughable, it's a total waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Daniel1986 wrote: »
    A question can TurasNua person can make my life difficult?

I'm sick of this bull**** and I'm planning on confronting them on my next meeting, and tell them to STOP calling me with this amazing job offers such us, "Telesales Consultant", "Part-Time Cashier" or "Mc Donalds Staff Member".
    And honestly every time he is offering me these jobs makes me feel that I'm a worthless piece of ****.

I'm over 30 years old with 12 years of experience in management and higher education, and I'm simply not interested in a minimum wage job.

I will repeat myself this whole program is a waste of Tax Payers money, they will do nothing for you. The courses they are offering are simply laughable, it's a total waste of time.

Try to focus more on getting a job that suits you in some way as soon as possible.
    You are allowing yourself to become frustrated unnecessarily with people who are doing their job.
    You are claiming jobseekers and they are suggesting jobs.
    They aren’t there to tailor make a job search that specifically suits your experience and qualifications.
    How long have you been out of work?

Try to focus more on getting a job that suits you in some way as soon as possible.
    You are allowing yourself to become frustrated unnecessarily with people who are doing their job.
    They aren’t there to tailor make a job search that specifically suits your experience and qualifications.

I'm unemployed for 7 months.

Why would I accept the job that I would leave immediately after finding something better ? Why would they hire someone knowing that he will leave immediately after finding something better?

Minimum wage job would not only be a huge downgrade in my career it would also put me and my family in worst financial condition than we are now.

Edit:

Their job is to assist me in finding a full time sustainable employment. And they did nothing towards that goal.

Ah no I'm sorry he wrote me a new CV that was basically my original CV in new format and with spelling mistakes.

Actually, they ARE supposed to be helping people find work in their field, it says so in their literature and they talk to you about that. But with this "bonus" crap for putting people into work they try to shove you into anything at all to get the bonus.

People who havent been on the program seem to have this idea that 'they're doing their job and helping people get jobs' but they actually arent doing anything much that is helpful, it's just an annoying, useless waste of time. But there's something in some people's mentality where they get all up in arms over people drawing the dole 'stealing my tax' but spending 163 mil on Jobpath is fine, because at least theyre harassing the dolies.

I was told way back on my first stint that Jobpath has links to employers and will refer their clients to jobs that aren't advertised elsewhere. But so far none of that has materialized. When I go in they bring up jobs on indeed that I've already seen/applied for.

163 mil to 'suggest jobs'. Great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

I have sent my CV off to several employers in the last 2 weeks.

I have revealed the details of one of the potential employers, only because my chances of getting that job are fairly slim. But I told Turas Nua, "no I am not giving you the details of the other jobs I applied to", because I have a good chance of getting one of those jobs. But the process of recruiting is painfully slow.

I have a meeting with Turas Nua tomorrow. Will he look for proof I've been actively seeking out employment and how do I get around not revealing the details of the employers if he wants to see proof of me seeking out work?

If I did reveal details of the employers I applied for and told Turas Nua that you do not have my permission to contact this employer. Will they obey?

At the last meeting when I told Turas Nua I wont share the employer details with you, he looked a bit startled and surprised.

Thanks in advance for any information shared.

• Advertisement

He will give you a piece of paper to fill out Date- Job Title - Employer Name - Website - Follow up...

You can honestly write there whatever you want as he will not be able to verify anything due to data protection. If he will call someone from your list and ask about you they will simply refuse to tell him anything.

Anyway very rarely you will find someone who actually cares about jobs you were applying to they don't care, they are there because it's a well-paid job, and they don't need to do anything.

Attend their stupid meetings, refuse amazing jobs offer he will be offering you, go home and send some CV yourself.

And once you will find the job block their number from your phone and never ever give him any details of your new employee, so that he will not be able to receive his commission for doing nothing.

Advertisement