Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think nurses will get their payrise?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Bull****..we had a bust because some folks went mad borrowing...

It had little to do with nurses salaries

There were very few nurses flipping properties in trendy bars on a summer Friday afternoon

It was the public fiscal deficit that had us in trouble really. Primarily unaffordable public sector wages and welfare. It was the main reason we ran a €12 billion euro deficit in 2009 and everyone stopped lending to us. But yea, easier just blame the banks etc rather than look at ourselves as a nation

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭alexmalalex

road_high wrote: »
    It was the public fiscal deficit that had us in trouble really. Primarily unaffordable public sector wages and welfare. It was the main reason we ran a €12 billion euro deficit in 2009 and everyone stopped lending to us. But yea, easier just blame the banks etc rather than look at ourselves as a nation

Quite correct. Our public spending was unsustainable, and we do have to be careful. No argument there.

But the argument that we can't afford to restore nurses pay is misleading and disingenuous. If we can afford to pay TDs and RTE presenters obscene salaries (the latter for doing almost no work of value), then we can afford to improve the standard of pay of our nurses.

We also need to make it competitive, so we don't lose the best talent to other countries...we can't afford not to restore their pay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

Quite correct. Our public spending was unsustainable, and we do have to be careful. No argument there.

But the argument that we can't afford to restore nurses pay is misleading and disingenuous. If we can afford to pay TDs and RTE presenters obscene salaries (the latter for doing almost no work of value), then we can afford to improve the standard of pay of our nurses.

We also need to make it competitive, so we don't lose the best talent to other countries...we can't afford not to restore their pay.

There's 82,000 nurses available to work in Ireland, we can't pay them above and beyond especially when they are getting staged increases already. Their last increase was only last Octaber and it was April before that.

If we give them this increase they'll continue to moan anyway , they'll want shorter work hours , 9 to 5 hrs even more pay. They're a bunch of typical women always moaning and wanting people's pity, it's what they do best!

Dia1988 wrote: »
    Yes like Primary teaching the cut off point is usually 470 and the intake is about 400 students. Therefore the average is in or around 530.

Agree

There's 82,000 nurses available to work in Ireland, we can't pay them above and beyond especially when they are getting staged increases already. Their last increase was only last Octaber and it was April before that.

If we give them this increase they'll continue to moan anyway , they'll want shorter work hours , 9 to 5 hrs even more pay. They're a bunch of typical women always moaning and wanting people's pity, it's what they do best!

What is your gender as a matter of interest?

• Advertisement

I'm gender fluid!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,212 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I'm gender fluid!
    Yehhh I am sure...the only fluid involved is you taking the p#ss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I'm not a nurse...but I have the greatest admiration for what they do, the hours that they work, and the conditions they work under...

I think we can afford to restore their wages per Martina's post

Do the occupational therapists not do great work in bad conditions? Should we restore their wages?

What about community welfare officers?

What about prison officers?

What about teachers?

gmisk wrote: »
    Yehhh I am sure...the only fluid involved is you taking the p#ss.

Sorry, but your question asking what gender I am is irrelevant to this topic.

What age are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

Yes like Primary teaching the cut off point is usually 470 and the intake is about 400 students. Therefore the average is in or around 530.

That's not how averages work. Your maths isn't great.

• Advertisement

Sorry, but your question asking what gender I am is irrelevant to this topic.

What age are you?
    I didn't ask you a question...

You said something about nurses all being a load of woman sitting around moaning...you seem to still think we live in an era where there aren't males nurses.

What the heck has my age got to do with anything?

That's not how averages work. Your maths isn't great.

The Mean according to the CAO is 530!

The lowest points accepted were 470

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

I would recommend that posters have a look at the report I mentioned earlier in the thread "nursing and midwifery - department of public expenditure and reform"
    I would link to it, but it's proving difficult from the phone! Google "dper report nursing" and it'll be there.
    The report provides the government with its information for negotiating and to my mind is the definitive info on salaries and conditions, I'd like to hear contrary opinions as to why it may be inaccurate.
    The report in general finds wages to be very competitive internationally, staff turnover low, number of nurses per capita high amongst other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Don’t entertain that lemon ! She can’t spell or comprehend basic math so it isn’t worth engaging with.

gmisk wrote: »
    I didn't ask you a question...

You said something about nurses all being a load of woman sitting around moaning...you seem to still think we live in an era where there aren't males nurses.

What the heck has my age got to do with anything?

88% of nurses in Ireland are women (NMBI 2017)

88% of nurses in Ireland are women (NMBI 2017)
    OK... So 88 percent just sitting round moaning then according to you?

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    I would recommend that posters have a look at the report I mentioned earlier in the thread "nursing and midwifery - department of public expenditure and reform"
    I would link to it, but it's proving difficult from the phone! Google "dper report nursing" and it'll be there.
    The report provides the government with its information for negotiating and to my mind is the definitive info on salaries and conditions, I'd like to hear contrary opinions as to why it may be inaccurate.
    The report in general finds wages to be very competitive internationally, staff turnover low, number of nurses per capita high amongst other things.

Okay so improve the conditions only then.

Why are these nurses striking for more pay then when their own report shows they get paid over the average in the EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Okay so improve the conditions only then.

Why are these nurses striking for more pay then when their own report shows they get paid over the average in the EU?

Sorry but this paid more than the average EU nurse is not a valid argument.

The cost of living in Ireland is exceptionslly high so that has to be factored in. Cant expect an Irish nurse to earn that of a nurse in Hungary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

The Mean according to the CAO is 530!

The lowest points accepted were 470

Could you link please. I'm sure you're right but the distribution on that seems strange.

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Sorry but this paid more than the average EU nurse is not a valid argument.

The cost of living in Ireland is exceptionslly high so that has to be factored in. Cant expect an Irish nurse to earn that of a nurse in Hungary

NEWS FLASH!!!

There's an area in Ireland outside of Dublin that costs considerably less!

• Advertisement

NEWS FLASH!!!

And the cost of living us stil high. There is more to living than rent.

You want nurses to commute to Crumlin from Roscommon?

NEWS FLASH!!!

Oh so to add insult to injury...you want nurses to commute from the arsehole of Laois or Offaly to work their 12 hour shift in Dublin....

And the cost of living us stil high. There is more to living than rent.

You want nurses to commute to Crumlin from Roscommon?

No, they can work in Roscommon health centres and hospitals with radius.

NEWS FLASH!!!

What area or profession do you work in?

Oh so to add insult to injury...you want nurses to commute from the arsehole of Laois or Offaly to work their 12 hour shift in Dublin....

Can nurses only work in Dublin hospitals?

If you take this logic to its natural conclusion, we would have no hospitals in Dublin

NEWS FLASH!!!

I think rents are also pretty sky high in most other cities in Ireland as well though no?
    And hospitals do tend to you know be in cities a lot of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Only one way to sort it

- pick one ward and hunt all the hse staff out of it*
    ( including managers etc )

- staff it with a small herd of agency nurses

- tell them to run n organise it anyway they want, all you'll be doing is looking at results n feedback

Do the same, in the same hospital but fill it with the Asian Crew :)

Let the fun begin

* obv. not doctors before some clown says it

So all the nurses can move and work in Roscommon cause its cheaper?

• Advertisement

What area or profession do you work in?

Please state the relevance of this question to this thread.

Advertisement