Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think nurses will get their payrise?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

Not sure if this has been posted, by you can find nurse pay by clicking on this link, go to consolidated pay scale 2018 and page 11 lists pay for nurses.

https://www.hse.ie/eng/staff/benefitsservices/pay/

that only list basic salary.

doesn't include the allowances that they exploit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Dia1988 wrote: »

Very salty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

What do you mean by exploit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

Paulzx wrote: »
    What do you mean by exploit?

I think he/she is talking about night/weekend allowances. How very dare they....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

I think he/she is talking about night/weekend allowances. How very dare they....

How dare they take advantage of incentives!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

road_high wrote: »
    I have to laugh at the last sentence as it’s blows my mind on so many levels- stats show that our health service is in fact one of the best funded on a per capita basis- something very wrong with how we are spending the money and the value for money we are getting.
    And if we are a busted flush as a nation then no amount of “if we want something we’ll have to pay for it...” intentions will work. If the money isn’t there and non one is willing to lend us money then the proverbial hits the fan

The total amount of money going into the health service is high. The service level provided is low. It is clear that the budget is being hopelessly mismanaged.
    There is no getting away from that fact that if a certain level of service is required it will have to be paid for and the people asked to do the work have to be given decent pay and conditions. It is ridiculous to expect people to put up with substandard pay and conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

4ensic15 wrote: »
    The total amount of money going into the health service is high. The service level provided is low. It is clear that the budget is being hopelessly being mismanaged.
    There is no getting away from that fact that if a certain level of service is required it will have to be paid for and the people asked to do the work have to be given decent pay and conditions. It is ridiculous to expect people to put up with substandard pay and conditions.

Absolutely. Too top heavy with highly paid management positions. I work in a hospital. It's a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Emergency Services should get tax exemptions. No USC or extra tax credits

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭alexmalalex

I said it yesterday, and I'll say it again... I believe the answer is some type of performance incentive linked to productivity i.e., you get X percent based on health-related outcomes, etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

I said it yesterday, and I'll say it again... I believe the answer is some type of performance incentive linked to productivity i.e., you get X percent based on health-related outcomes, etc.

So, every patient that dies under the nurses watch reduce their pay by say 1k?

Seems fair!

• Advertisement

So, every patient that dies under the nurses watch reduce their pay by say 1k?

Seems fair!

No, efficiency related outcomes, use of resources, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

How would you do that. Every patients condition and treatment are different.
    Do you get more money for looking after a more difficult patient?

Your idea doesn't make sense.

How would you do that. Every patients condition and treatment are different.
    Do you get more money for looking after a more difficult patient?

Your idea doesn't make sense.

No you get more money if you use less resources, and achieve faster throughput. Everyone can work more efficiently, and nurses are no exception

Clearly, patient health and safety are paramount, but there are more efficient ways to do things...keep things moving...use less resources...more efficient routines...two steps instead of three

Its the little things when they add up that make a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Then they need to start at the top management levels.

What the HSE pays out on leases on buildings is absolutely ridiculous figures. I'd love to know the total but individual ones are crazy.

They pay (in 2017) €203,000 pa for the Castlerea Primary Health Care building, €328k for the Roscommon equivalent and €236k for the Longford equivalent. In Leitrim alone they have 13 buildings leased (albeit at smaller costs) That's just nuts.

This is the Castlerea building BTW.. Others mentioned are along the same lines.

http://https://www.google.ie/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x485c1d9a829a864f:0x30ad4d4343d02ca5!2m22!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m16!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!2m2!1m1!1e6!3m1!7e115!4s/maps/place/castlerea%2Bprimary%2Bcare%2Bcentre/@53.7701758,-8.5049862,3a,75y,283.98h,90t/data%3D*213m4*211e1*213m2*211sDf28_aVDOMb1mLi5Ku361g*212e0*214m2*213m1*211s0x485c1d9a829a864f:0x30ad4d4343d02ca5!5scastlerea+primary+care+centre+-+Google+Search&imagekey=!1e2!2sDf28_aVDOMb1mLi5Ku361g&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwim-qr2z-bfAhV5SBUIHROfBRwQpx8wCnoECAUQBg

BTW: Houses in Castlerea would rent for 600 to 700 per month just for comparison purposes. Most commercial properties would also be a lot less than what they're paying for this place. Bear in mind that this scenario is repeated all over the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

4ensic15 wrote: »
    This row is all about conditions. there are plenty of well qualified people who work for low pay such as librarians and college lecturers.

College lecturers are paid fairly well.

37k-84k.

Geuze wrote: »

37k-84k.

A huge number are on temporary contracts and are at the foothills of the earnings mountain. A few long-established ones are at reasonable levels.

No you get more money if you use less resources, and achieve faster throughput. Everyone can work more efficiently, and nurses are no exception

Clearly, patient health and safety are paramount, but there are more efficient ways to do things...keep things moving...use less resources...more efficient routines...two steps instead of three

Cut back on what resources? Give me examples.
    Some patients need scans, some need blood tests, some need a surgical consult, some require further investigation to determine what's wrong with them, some need to be monitored on medication to see if their condition improves.

You can't say to a patient "time's up, I've wasted too many resources on you. I have 10 more patients I need to get through tonight. NEXT".

Cut back on what resources? Give me examples.
    Some patients need scans, some need blood tests, some need a surgical consult, some require further investigation to determine what's wrong with them, some need to be monitored on medication to see if their condition improves.

You can't say to a patient "time's up, I've wasted too many resources on you. I have 10 more patients I need to get through tonight. NEXT".

Come on Martina, be somewhat reasonable...

How long does it take to wait on the results of a blood test at peak times? Could the patient be referred to GP if they are not having an MI or bleeding from the jugular...

Most people attending A&E are neither accident nor emergency. Nurses could play a role in making quicker assessments and getting throughput

They have similar knowledge to doctors...and an experience nurse probably has better intuitions than a doctor...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 110 ✭✭MaryBrosnan

Nonsensical post.

• Advertisement

Come on Martina, be somewhat reasonable...

How long does it take to wait on the results of a blood test at peak times? Could the patient be referred to GP if they are not having an MI or bleeding from the jugular...

Most people attending A&E are neither accident nor emergency. Nurses could play a role in making quicker assessments and getting throughput

They have similar knowledge to doctors...and an experience nurse probably has better intuitions than a doctor...

It takes less than 1 hour for blood test results to come back from A and E. You can't refer a patient from A and E to a GP because they are booked up with appointments. That's why people resort to coming to A and E.

What resources would you cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

How many staff would you need to administer such a scheme? Would cost more to run than anything

It takes less than 1 hour for blood test results to come back from A and E. You can't refer a patient from A and E to a GP because they are booked up with appointments. That's why people resort to coming to A and E.

What resources would you cut?

Of course, you can if its not an emergency. If its not an emergency, people should be referred back. In Dublin, we have dubdoc...you get an appointment at short notice

The triage nurse plays a major role in the A&E department IMO. Although my experience is quite limited, I've spent quite a few nights in A&E, and was quite shocked by how healthy many of the people were...if the triage nurse could screen out the time and money wasters, it would improve throughput?

Would it not?

Of course, you can if its not an emergency. If its not an emergency, people should be referred back. In Dublin, we have dubdoc...you get an appointment at short notice

The triage nurse plays a major role in the A&E department IMO. Although my experience is quite limited, I've spent quite a few nights in A&E, and was quite shocked by how healthy many of the people were...if the triage nurse could screen out the time and money wasters, it would improve throughput?

Would it not?

Moving a problem around does not solve it for one thing. What is going to happen when a nurse sends someone to a GP and there is a negative outcome? Patient turns out to be seriously ill despite appearances. Patient deteriorates before GP intervenes.

Would it not?

Services would not be that fast or effective outside of Dublin.

No one comes to A and E for the craic. So many illnesses are invisible to the public. Just because you don't see people writhing in agony doesn't mean they don't need medical attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Geuze wrote: »

37k-84k.

Eh! A college lecturer on 37k is being paid fairly well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭Zico

I think medical professionals should be very well paid but someone else should pay them.

Weighing in on the topic at hand, I do think nurses should have their pay restored (not a pay rise). Comparing it to some of the other medical professions below, their pay scales are the lowest for the degree and qualifications they require. Each one has opportunities to boost their wages with extra shifts/ on call payment, but for the work that is carried out, payment should be restored in line with the other professions.

Nurse
    1. 29,056
    2. 31,110
    3. 32,171
    4. 33,367
    5. 34,876
    6. 36,383
    7. 37,883
    8. 39,180
    9. 40,480
    10. 41,775
    11. 43,070
    12. 44,343
    13. 45,701

Pharmacist
    1. 33,491
    2. 36,150
    3. 37,099
    4. 40,054
    5. 42,860
    6. 45,700
    7. 48,551
    8. 51,438
    9. 54,342
    10. 57,300
    11. 60,311
    12. 63,379
    13. 64,611

Occupational Therapist
    1. 35,672
    2. 37,784
    3. 39,522
    4. 40,786
    5. 41,856
    6. 42,965
    7. 44,059
    8. 45,184
    9. 46,301
    10. 47,418
    11. 48,595
    12. 49,833
    13. 51,069
    14. 52,059

Medical Scientist
    1. 32,692
    2. 34,051
    3. 36,211
    4. 37,235
    5. 38,208
    6. 40,510
    7. 41,999
    8. 43,503
    9. 45,032
    10. 46,558
    11. 48,089
    12. 49,632
    13. 51,185
    14. 52,756
    15. 54,282
    16. 55,331

Physio
    1. 35,672
    2. 37,784
    3. 39,522
    4. 40,786
    5. 41,856
    6. 42,965
    7. 44,059
    8. 45,184
    9. 46,301
    10. 47,418
    11. 48,595
    12. 49,833
    13. 51,069
    14. 52,059

Radiographer
    1. 34,242
    2. 36,228
    3. 37,933
    4. 39,025
    5. 40,135
    6. 41,259
    7. 42,352
    8. 43,442
    9. 44,573
    10. 45,678
    11. 46,746
    12. 47,843
    13. 48,976
    14. 50,040

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭obby1

the Healy-Rae brothers are on close to 100k as a TD, and people round here think nurses are over paid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Weighing in on the topic at hand, I do think nurses should have their pay restored (not a pay rise). Comparing it to some of the other medical professions below, their pay scales are the lowest for the degree and qualifications they require. Each one has opportunities to boost their wages with extra shifts/ on call payment, but for the work that is carried out, payment should be restored in line with the other professions.

Nurses are an extremely critical part of our Health Care System but each of those other professions have more responsibility in determining what care path to take for the patient (maybe not pharmacists who to a large degree are operating on Dr's instructions, AFAIK)

Nurses do not have to make critical decisions such as this. They react to a Dr's instructions, again, as I understand it.

I'm not trying to be insulting here, let me give an example of a profession I am more familiar with.
    An electrician must train for 4 years. An Engineer must train for 4 years. the Engineer can expect to earn more because they will generally be responsible for design decisions in a way that an electrician will not.

(I know an electrician does not have a degree but they do block release in college in a similar fashion to nurses.)
    I know nurses have to perform critical actions which could have life altering implications, but so too must the electrician.

Advertisement