Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think nurses will get their payrise?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

obby1 wrote: »
    the Healy-Rae brothers are on close to 100k as a TD, and people round here think nurses are over paid?

That's an irrelevant point. The Healy-Raes were elected to those roles by their constituents (as were all other TD's).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 110 ✭✭MaryBrosnan

obby1 wrote: »
    the Healy-Rae brothers are on close to 100k as a TD, and people round here think nurses are over paid?

I hope it’s 100k combined not each.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭obby1

I hope it’s 100k combined not each.

each, and excluding expenses

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭alexmalalex

Weighing in on the topic at hand, I do think nurses should have their pay restored (not a pay rise). Comparing it to some of the other medical professions below, their pay scales are the lowest for the degree and qualifications they require. Each one has opportunities to boost their wages with extra shifts/ on call payment, but for the work that is carried out, payment should be restored in line with the other professions.

Nurse
    1. 29,056
    2. 31,110
    3. 32,171
    4. 33,367
    5. 34,876
    6. 36,383
    7. 37,883
    8. 39,180
    9. 40,480
    10. 41,775
    11. 43,070
    12. 44,343
    13. 45,701

Pharmacist
    1. 33,491
    2. 36,150
    3. 37,099
    4. 40,054
    5. 42,860
    6. 45,700
    7. 48,551
    8. 51,438
    9. 54,342
    10. 57,300
    11. 60,311
    12. 63,379
    13. 64,611

Occupational Therapist
    1. 35,672
    2. 37,784
    3. 39,522
    4. 40,786
    5. 41,856
    6. 42,965
    7. 44,059
    8. 45,184
    9. 46,301
    10. 47,418
    11. 48,595
    12. 49,833
    13. 51,069
    14. 52,059

Medical Scientist
    1. 32,692
    2. 34,051
    3. 36,211
    4. 37,235
    5. 38,208
    6. 40,510
    7. 41,999
    8. 43,503
    9. 45,032
    10. 46,558
    11. 48,089
    12. 49,632
    13. 51,185
    14. 52,756
    15. 54,282
    16. 55,331

Physio
    1. 35,672
    2. 37,784
    3. 39,522
    4. 40,786
    5. 41,856
    6. 42,965
    7. 44,059
    8. 45,184
    9. 46,301
    10. 47,418
    11. 48,595
    12. 49,833
    13. 51,069
    14. 52,059

Radiographer
    1. 34,242
    2. 36,228
    3. 37,933
    4. 39,025
    5. 40,135
    6. 41,259
    7. 42,352
    8. 43,442
    9. 44,573
    10. 45,678
    11. 46,746
    12. 47,843
    13. 48,976
    14. 50,040

If you look at the top end of the scale, there is comparability with the exception of pharmacists... this makes sense

What is the average SuperValu wage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Zico

Nurses are an extremely critical part of our Health Care System but each of those other professions have more responsibility in determining what care path to take for the patient (maybe not pharmacists who to a large degree are operating on Dr's instructions, AFAIK)

Nurses do not have to make critical decisions such as this. They react to a Dr's instructions, again, as I understand it.

I'm not trying to be insulting here, let me give an example of a profession I am more familiar with.
    An electrician must train for 4 years. An Engineer must train for 4 years. the Engineer can expect to earn more because they will generally be responsible for design decisions in a way that an electrician will not.

(I know an electrician does not have a degree but they do block release in college in a similar fashion to nurses.)
    I know nurses have to perform critical actions which could have life altering implications, but so too must the electrician.

Maybe that's the way forward, let nurses bill for their services the way trades people do.

What is the average SuperValu wage?

Why does it matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

Come on Martina, be somewhat reasonable...

How long does it take to wait on the results of a blood test at peak times? Could the patient be referred to GP if they are not having an MI or bleeding from the jugular...

Most people attending A&E are neither accident nor emergency. Nurses could play a role in making quicker assessments and getting throughput

They have similar knowledge to doctors...and an experience nurse probably has better intuitions than a doctor...

I don't think you don't understand what you're talking about. How do you outrule an MI without at least one blood test?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

Nurses are not as qualified as other medical professionals.
    It's insane to equate nurse qualification to that of O.T's, physios, pharmacists etc!

If you take your logic, should we not have pay parity for nurses aids and First Aiders?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,214 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Zico wrote: »
    I think medical professionals should be very well paid but someone else should pay them.
    Who do you suggest?
    Public private partnerships tend to end so well....

• Advertisement

Why does it matter?

Could be relevant here.

Maybe that's the way forward, let nurses bill for their services the way trades people do.

If you think it would work with them sourcing their own work, providing their own tools, transport and insurance then it might be an option.

Not all electricians are self-employed by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Zico

gmisk wrote: »
    Who do you suggest?
    Public private partnerships tend to end so well....

Pay as you go like electricians

I don't think you don't understand what you're talking about. How do you outrule an MI without at least one blood test?

Of course if an MI is suspected a blood test, ECG, and other tests should be conducted...

...but should we waste time on someone with the sniffles

Dia1988 wrote: »
    It's insane to equate nurse qualification to that of O.T's, physios, pharmacists etc!

If you take your logic, should we not have pay parity for nurses aids and First Aiders?

Says who?

Says who?

Someone I know who is a nurse!

Pay as you go like electricians
    Rrrrright how would that work?
    Honestly.

Nurses get paid for number of hours they work.
    You are suggesting they get paid for how many patients are in there care? Would there be different pay for different jobs they undertake?

Electricians imo are not comparable to nurses.

Someone I know who is a nurse!

Well that provides a strong evidence base for your argument...

Leo and Simon can rest easy tonight....

Rrrrright how would that work?
    Honestly.

Nurses get paid for number of hours they work.
    You are suggesting they get paid for how many patients are in there care? Would there be different pay for different jobs they undertake?

Electricians imo are not comparable to nurses.

They are being obtuse because I used electricians/engineers in a previous post as a comparison to this discussion. Post #662

• Registered Users Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Do nurses realise this country can not afford their pay demands!!!
    A no deal hard brexit could bankrupt this country ,the government have proposed higher property tax on the horizon ,how many more extra ways they can cripple us with tax??

• Advertisement

cute geoge wrote: »
    A no deal hard brexit could bankrupt this country ,the government have proposed higher property tax on the horizon ,how many more extra ways they can cripple us with tax??

Brexit won’t happen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭obby1

Brexit won’t happen.

its so obvious, no way will they leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I’d have never equated Nursing with those hugely technical professions. I know several people with very poor Leaving Certificates that got through Nursing degrees. There’s no way they’d have been able for Pharmscy or Radiography.

I’m surprised Pharmacist and Radiographer salaries in the PS are so low tbh given what they would have gone through to qualify.

Brexit won’t happen.

Please join us on the Brexit discussion thread and let us know why not?

Brexit

We are looking for some clarity over there. Good to see someone knows what is going on.

Brexit won’t happen.

Ah give over Mary will ya!

They are being obtuse because I used electricians/engineers in a previous post as a comparison to this discussion.
    Ah OK, it's a big thread must have missed that.

I personally think looking at the average wage nurses are underpaid I would support a pay increase.
    I know a few nurses personally who work extremely hard and go above and beyond in Dublin, my mum was one for many years also during the troubles in Belfast, its a really tough job.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

cute geoge wrote: »

None because we are at peak tax- as I’ve stated previously that well is close to dry and additional taxes to fund bloated public spending won’t work in another downturn. The only other option will be pay and welfare cuts

Ah OK, it's a big thread must have missed that.

I personally think looking at the average wage nurses are underpaid I would support a pay increase.
    I know a few nurses personally who work extremely hard and go above and beyond in Dublin, my mum was one for many years also during the troubles in Belfast, its a really tough job.

It is but the average (for all nurses in the system) of 57K for a 39 Hr week, guaranteed job and pension seems reasonable.

I would like to see the new entrants get more sooner than so many nursing managerial staff skewing the average.

road_high wrote: »
    I’d have never equated Nursing with those hugely technical professions. I know several people with very poor Leaving Certificates that got through Nursing degrees. There’s no way they’d have been able for Pharmscy or Radiography.

I’m surprised Pharmacist and Radiographer salaries in the PS are so low tbh given what they would have gone through to qualify.

Yes, I agree.

A lot of pharmacists work in private sector and not just in pharmacies.
    Companies such as Phyzers and Glaxo Smith pay quite lucrative salaries for these professionals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

Of course if an MI is suspected a blood test, ECG, and other tests should be conducted...

...but should we waste time on someone with the sniffles

Lots of people have atypical chest pain, no one with a pain in their chest is going to be discharged without an ECG, xray or bloods.
    How do you know the person with the sniffles hasn't developed a post viral pneumonia without a physical exam and maybe bloods and xray.

It's very easy for someone in your position who I imagine has limits medical experience to say traiage nurses should be discharging patients at triage. The consequences of a mistake are massive. Every nurse and doctor will tell you of people they expected to have a mild illness who had a serious condition which only become evident following investigations.

Advertisement