Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think nurses will get their payrise?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭alexmalalex

Dia1988 wrote: »
    Yes, I agree.

A lot of pharmacists work in private sector and not just in pharmacies.
    Companies such as Phyzers and Glaxo Smith pay quite lucrative salaries for these professionals.

It is Pfizer not Phyzers...

Maybe stick to your sphere of expertise...whatever that is...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,211 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It is but the average (for all nurses in the system) of 57K for a 39 Hr week, guaranteed job and pension seems reasonable.

I would like to see the new entrants get more sooner than so many nursing managerial staff skewing the average.
    Do you have a link to those figures?

I totally agree about new entrants.
    Unions etc really screwed over new staff, pretty despicable, it happened with teachers etc too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Zico

gmisk wrote: »
    Rrrrright how would that work?
    Honestly.

Nurses get paid for number of hours they work.
    You are suggesting they get paid for how many patients are in there care? Would there be different pay for different jobs they undertake?

Electricians imo are not comparable to nurses.

Indeed then how can their wages be compared?

Nurses should be better paid but until you actually need one you don't appreciate their value. If there was a way of paying for their services per use as an add on to their salary it might be easier than raising taxes to fund a pay rise across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Zico wrote: »
    but someone else should pay them.

That’s pretty much the jist of this latest pay demand !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Dia1988 wrote:
    Nurses are not as qualified as other medical professionals. It's insane to equate nurse qualification to that of O.T's, physios, pharmacists etc!
    What do you mean not as qualified.

Each qualification qualifies the person to do the job their qualified to do.

You appear to be hinting at levels of intelligence rather than different professions.
    Should the people who got the most points in the leaving cert earn more money?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 110 ✭✭MaryBrosnan

Please join us on the Brexit discussion thread and let us know why not?

Brexit

We are looking for some clarity over there. Good to see someone knows what is going on.

Dai will be manager in SuperValu long before a Brexit. That is a fact.

It is Pfizer not Phyzers...

Maybe stick to your sphere of expertise...whatever that is...

Give us the money but don’t dare have an opinion or ask a few probing questions seems to some up the discussion for some here

Zico wrote: »
    Indeed then how can their wages be compared?

Nurses should be better paid but until you actually need one you don't appreciate their value. If there was a way of paying for their services per use as an add on to their salary it might be easier than raising taxes to fund a pay rise across the board.

They can't be imo.. you suggested it... so you tell me how?
    Pay per use...realistically how would that work?

road_high wrote: »
    Give us the money but don’t dare have an opinion or ask a few probing questions seems to some up the discussion for some here

I'm not a nurse...but I have the greatest admiration for what they do, the hours that they work, and the conditions they work under...

I think we can afford to restore their wages per Martina's post

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

You appear to be hinting at levels of intelligence rather than different professions.

No, don't be silly, the L.C is used to gain entry to 3rd level courses.

However, the L.C is a test to weed out and segregate mental capacities and memory performance and indeed hard work.

Is it a coincidence that Nursing is 400pts and Pharmacy is 580pts?

• Advertisement

Of course the intellectual capacity of your average Pharmacist is higher- their course is academically more challenging (you need Honours Chemistry for starters and the points are far higher)! Are we not allowed to mention that fact in the sterile world of “everyone’s a winner” and everyone is the same? I don’t think so, we’ve had different salaries for different jobs since time immemorial, it’s a basic fact of life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

Dia1988 wrote: »
    No, don't be silly, the L.C is used to gain entry to 3rd level courses.

However, the L.C is a test to weed out and segregate mental capacities and memory performance and indeed hard work.

Paediatric nursing is often 500 points.

I'm not a nurse...but I have the greatest admiration for what they do, the hours that they work, and the conditions they work under...

I think we can afford to restore their wages per Martina's post

That’s all very noble but how can we afford to increase their salary above and beyond recent incrases and ongoing increments?

Dia1988 wrote:
    Points increase based on demand for the course and the points applicants acheive.

The points for medical science in CIT were 521 in 2018. The same course in GMIT was 445.

Should the Cork graduates earn more than the Galway ones?

That’s all very noble but how can we afford to increase their salary above and beyond re ever incrases and ongoing increments?

Very simple...we don't dole out needless and ineffective tax cuts...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Points requirement is dictated by the ratio of number of available places versus the number of people applying for a course.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Points requirement is dictated by the ratio of number of available places versus the number of people applying for a course.

It is primarily demand driven...but it is also driven by the points achievement of the applicants to the course...

Very simple...we don't dole out needless and ineffective tax cuts...

Of which there really have been minuscule ones and taxes are still are excessive levels. So we leave the burden on other taxpayers- at least we know where we stand now folks. Your wage packet will fund this madness

road_high wrote:
    That’s all very noble but how can we afford to increase their salary above and beyond re ever incrases and ongoing increments?
    We could afford it before it was cut. Why cant we find the money again.

This isnt a pay rise. This is pay restoration.

Of which there really have been minuscule ones and taxes are still are excessive levels. So we leave the burden on other taxpayers- at least we know where we stand now folks. Your wage packet will fund this madness

Are you serious?

The people you are talking about have just spent the last six weeks celebrating Christmas...

• Advertisement

I think we should let them nurses continue moaning and sack them if they go on strike.

All we need to is employ nurses from Asia that'll be very appreciative of their job!

Play their bluff I say!

We could afford it before it was cut. Why cant we find the money again.

This isnt a pay rise. This is pay restoration.

Because we had an economy based on a bubble of speculative taxes. We were spending like madmen based on those. That’s what previous pay levels were based on.
    We can’t find the money because we simply don't have it as the economy is in a different place now.

Are you serious?

The people you are talking about have just spent the last six weeks celebrating Christmas...

What the hell has Christmas got to do with anything?

Because we had an economy based on a bubble of speculative taxes. We were spending like madmen based on those. That’s what previous pay levels were based on.
    We can’t find the money because we simply don't have it as the economy is in a different place now.

...damn it I'm not giving up that third bottle of prosecco or that 192 car just so we can have a decent health service....

What the hell has Christmas got to do with anything?

The very people you refer to are most likely the ones who have been celebrating the magic, and joy of Christmas for the last six weeks...stuffing their faces with mince pies, oxford lunches, shopping till they drop...

They are not to the pin of their collar

D4, D14, D18 etc can afford to pay for restoration...

Sardonicat wrote: »

It is indeed but when the points are consistently at high levels like in Pharmacy it does mean the applicants have on average a higher intellectual capacity.

Bull****..we had a bust because some folks went mad borrowing...

It had little to do with nurses salaries

There were very few nurses flipping properties in trendy bars on a summer Friday afternoon

It is indeed but when the points are consistently at high levels like in Pharmacy it does mean the applicants have on average a higher intellectual capacity.

Yes like Primary teaching the cut off point is usually 470 and the intake is about 400 students. Therefore the average is in or around 530.

The very people you refer to are most likely the ones who have been celebrating the magic, and joy of Christmas for the last six weeks...stuffing their faces with mince pies, oxford lunches, shopping till they drop...

They are not to the pin of their collar

D4, D14, D18 etc can afford to pay for restoration...

I don’t live in D4 and I’m a taxpayer as are the majority of us, so I’ll be paying too. People are entitled to enjoy their hard earnings in any case- communism didn’t work out very well as a concept

• Advertisement

Bull****..we had a bust because some folks went mad borrowing...

It had little to do with nurses salaries

There were very few nurses flipping properties in trendy bars on a summer Friday afternoon
    Sure all the nurses all they would chat about during the boom was all those properties they were buying in Bulgaria....

Advertisement