Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think nurses will get their payrise?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

i think as with many other public servants, nurses are in danger of overestimating the level of support among the general population.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Why should they care though?

Everyone was against the Luas drivers and they won

Public support is not needed to get what you want

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Why should they care though?

Everyone was against the Luas drivers and they won

Public support is not needed to get what you want

Lol. Where do you think the funding will be found?
    It’s breath taking the lack of interest they have in improving services for the public- as we all know and is evident wage increases won’t do that. It’s about more money for nurses- nothing else

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭storker

noodler wrote: »
    Why?

Why one third of the PS and not the rest?

Nurses have gotten multiple pay increases per year (including increments) since 2016 just like the rest of the PS. Getting more this year too.

Because different jobs pay different salaries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

Dia1988 wrote: »
    Nurses here get paid more than those in London , last time I checked London was more expensive to live in than Roscommon.

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Nurses here get paid more than those in London , last time I checked London was more expensive to live in than Roscommon.

Give us some payscales, tax and cost of living details. Nice of you to pick the cheapest county in Ireland and compare it to London LOL... jeez if you worked for the HSE you could propose moving all nurses to Roscommon. Pure genius.

Either way... you'd still want enough nurses in Ireland ya?
    What if they are leaving for countries other than Ireland (Not london).
    Because they are.
    And there is a shortage.

Is it because their wages in Ireland are too high by your reckoning?

Give us some payscales, tax and cost of living details. Nice of you to pick the cheapest county in Ireland and compare it to London LOL... jeez if you worked for the HSE you could propose moving all nurses to Roscommon. Pure genius.

Either way... you'd still want enough nurses in Ireland ya?
    What if they are leaving for countries other than Ireland (Not london).
    Because they are.
    And there is a shortage.

Is it because their wages in Ireland are too high by your reckoning?
    Oh dear love, London is not a country!

London is more expensive than Dublin.

Perhaps nurses working and living in Dublin should get an allowance for living in an expensive city. That's what happens in the UK.

We should cut the numbers of nurses being trained in Ireland and focus on recruiting Asian nurses who'll appreciate the pay and will work better than the Irish without the moaning.

Play their bluff I say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Perhaps nurses working and living in Dublin should get an allowance for living in an expensive city. That's what happens in the UK.

We should cut the numbers of nurses being trained in Ireland and focus on recruiting Asian nurses who'll appreciate the pay and will work better than the Irish without the moaning.

Play their bluff I say!
    What an idiotic post from start to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

What an idiotic post from start to end.

Idiotic post from an idiot .SHOCKER!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Play their bluff I say!

I agree,

We have one of the highest nurse to head population in the EU.

How come we’re not allowed ask why is the service so inefficient?

• Advertisement

How come we’re not allowed ask why is the service so inefficient?

You're definitely allowed to ask, the answer is far more to do with managerial practices, the changing whims of successive governments, the non-standardised way in how hospitals are ran, the ballooning costs of healthcare provision in general, use of medical cards, our ageing population, bedblockers, the lack of external convalescence facilities, and the ever increasing burden our society is placing on the health service through our own abuse of alcohol, food and drugs.

If a shop is badly run, you blame the manager, not the people on the checkout. I don't see why people blame nurses for an inefficient health service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

If a shop is badly run, you blame the manager, not the people on the checkout. I don't see why people blame nurses for an inefficient health service.
    All the nurses seem to do is bitch about how hard they have it, and yet any time someone introduces a number to quantify that (a) they don't have it that bad and (b) that person gets shouted down for unspecified badness. **** the nurses. If they think the management practices are so bad and making things so awful for them, they can threaten to strike for reform of that.

mikhail wrote: »
    All the nurses seem to do is bitch about how hard they have it, and yet any time someone introduces a number to quantify that (a) they don't have it that bad and (b) that person gets shouted down for unspecified badness. **** the nurses. If they think the management practices are so bad and making things so awful for them, they can threaten to strike for reform of that.

That's literally what they're doing right now.

There's less nurses employed now that there were 10 years ago. Hospitals are chronically understaffed.

The INMO says the main reasons nurses are leaving the country and profession is the terrible conditions and low pay.

So they're going on strike to get a better basic level of pay, not more allowances because allowances aren't available to a majority of nurses.
    There's a Europe wide shortage of nurses, so Ireland needs to be competitive to entice well trained nurses and medics.

So that's the situation in a nutshell. We need nurses more than ever, but we have less than we had 10 years ago. The health services need to entice people to enter the profession, retain nurses in the profession and entice nurses from outside Ireland. This just isn't happening right now.

Britain is in serious trouble if Brexit stops the flow of nurses immigrating into the country. They already have over 40 thousand vacancies and can't fill them.

mikhail wrote: »

Thank God someone else on here that speaks it how it is.

I've been ganged up on by the users on here who have a self interest (they're nurses themselves) whenever I point out the reality.

Let's be clear here, the nurses are paid enough here, yet they are striking for even more pay not reform of the system. That is where they lose my vote!

If they get their ludicrous pay demand, they'll return to the picket lines in 6 months 12 months time wanting more pay demands when the health service becomes more inefficient. That's not solving anything.

I've been ganged up on by the users on here who have a self interest (they're nurses themselves) whenever I point out the reality.

Let's be clear here, the nurses are paid enough here, yet they are striking for even more pay not reform of the system. That is where they lose my vote!

If they get their ludicrous pay demand, they'll return to the picket lines in 6 months 12 months time wanting more pay demands when the health service becomes more inefficient. That's not solving anything.

And what's your interest? You're talking about a "reality" but you're even involved in the health service. What would you know about it?
    You've been on here at all times of the day with bitter, hateful posts about nurses.

You say nurses are paid enough, well why are there so many vacancies?
    Nurses are in fact striking for reform.
    Nurses and doctors rarely strike, and when they do, it's only partial strikes to maintain a certain level or care in the hospital.

Your posts are the most trolling, uniformed, ignorant, spiteful ones on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

You're definitely allowed to ask, the answer is far more to do with managerial practices, the changing whims of successive governments, the non-standardised way in how hospitals are ran, the ballooning costs of healthcare provision in general, use of medical cards, our ageing population, bedblockers, the lack of external convalescence facilities, and the ever increasing burden our society is placing on the health service through our own abuse of alcohol, food and drugs.

So everyone else’s fault?

Just like everyone and everything in this country.

No one takes any responsibility.

So everyone else’s fault?

Just like everyone and everything in this country.

No one takes any responsibility.

So our crippled health service is only nurses fault?
    The responsibility is solely at the hands of the HSE and government.
    Do you think a nurse has any say in the running of a hospital?
    Or the procedure and paperwork?

Haha. Thank god you don’t have a “ vote” so !! Google is your friend to read up on how the threat of strikes work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Dia1988 wrote:
    I cant recall anyone in this thread saying they're a nurse.

You're playing the victim now when you've been winding people up with your ignorant remarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I cant recall anyone in this thread saying they're a nurse.

Two or more pasted up their pay-slips ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 muffinman1982

I think a lot of people don’t really get that when nurses strike in this country it’s never an all out strike. Cover is provided by nurses without pay. This means that essential areas still run. If they went on an all out strike they would probably be more effective, however I think you’ll find from a moral perspective this is not a tactic they employ.

I think if you have to put a price on caring for the sick and dying, being exposed to violence, contagious infections and severe staff shortages they deserve more. I see a lot of hostility towards nurses and the public sector in general. I try to keep in mind that ultimately we are all going to end up in a room being cared for by these people. Plus nurses have a responsibility to continue their professional development through life long learning. A lot of nurses nowadays have masters and some even Doctorates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

nurses are more than adequately paid imo.
    the system is a mess, so delivery of care is at times totally inefficient.

pouring more taxpayers money into a leaky bucket is not going to solve that, indeed if anything it will exacerbate the inefficiencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,433 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

TBH I think they should be paid the same as what the Brits pay their nurses but the pay isn't too bad either when overtime is factored in.

Not sure how the Government will solve this one because if they give way then the rest of the PS will want to scrap the agreement they signed up to as well and get the same deal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

TBH I think they should be paid the same as what the Brits pay their nurses but the pay isn't too bad either when overtime is factored in.

Not sure how the Government will solve this one because if they give way then the rest of the PS will want to scrap the agreement they signed up to as well and get the same deal.

Why should we be copying the Brits. We left the empire in 1922 and one of our rights is to decide the pay levels of our own Ps staff.

Not sure how the Government will solve this one because if they give way then the rest of the PS will want to scrap the agreement they signed up to as well and get the same deal.[/

Overtime shouldn’t be factored into it tbf .. overtime isn’t compulsory and shouldn’t base you final figure on it

hawkelady wrote: »

Not sure how the Government will solve this one because if they give way then the rest of the PS will want to scrap the agreement they signed up to as well and get the same deal.[/

Overtime shouldn’t be factored into it tbf .. overtime isn’t compulsory and shouldn’t base you final figure on it

Of course it should be factored in, they get paid overtime for working weekends and bank hols etc.

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Why should we be copying the Brits. We left the empire in 1922 and one of our rights is to decide the pay levels of our own Ps staff.

WTF are you bladdering on about 1922 and leaving an empire.

People have been saying the pay is better across the pond and that's why it's difficult to fill positions so if the money is they same there is an incentive to stay here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Martina1991

hawkelady wrote: »

Of course it should be factored in, they get paid overtime for working weekends and bank hols etc.

Overtime isn't fixed. You couldn't depend on your income then if you suddenly couldn't work overtime due to illness, looking after children, getting older etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

WTF are you bladdering on about 1922 and leaving an empire.

People have been saying the pay is better across the pond and that's why it's difficult to fill positions so if the money is they same there is an incentive to stay here.

the pay across the water is rubbish as well. Most people who leave here go much further than across the water. You should adjust to 100 years of independence.

• Advertisement

Both us and the Brits have a problem in that we cannot hire enough nurses. That's one of the main problems in the health service.

How will paying them the same as the Brits solve this problem?

Advertisement