Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas bonus for welfare recipients not only restored but increased

Options
1353637383941»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If standard cost of living increase is 3%, then that's a reflection of inflation. These increases not only affect the prices that people pay for things, but the prices the the state has to pay for things.

When someone gets a cost-of-living increase in their wage packet, the government takes its cut. If the government then filters that back to the taxpayer, you have two issues; 1. The state has less income and 2. Employers are off the hook and don't have to increase their employees wages.

Without the employer-provided salary increase, there is no "extra" for the government to take a cut of, and therefore no economic growth.

Those who don't pay tax get the increase precisely because the tax take is not dependent on their income. But they are still affected by inflation.

If you would rather that all of your salary increases came from the state rather than your employer, then you're free to quit your job and sign on.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭atticu

seamus wrote: »
    If standard cost of living increase is 3%, then that's a reflection of inflation. These increases not only affect the prices that people pay for things, but the prices the the state has to pay for things.

When someone gets a cost-of-living increase in their wage packet, the government takes its cut. If the government then filters that back to the taxpayer, you have two issues; 1. The state has less income and 2. Employers are off the hook and don't have to increase their employees wages.

Without the employer-provided salary increase, there is no "extra" for the government to take a cut of, and therefore no economic growth.

Those who don't pay tax get the increase precisely because the tax take is not dependent on their income. But they are still affected by inflation.

If you would rather that all of your salary increases came from the state rather than your employer, then you're free to quit your job and sign on.

I am glad that you agree that the increase in welfare was wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

atticu wrote:

Pretty poor retort. Nowhere in that detailed post did he confirm agreement with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Pretty poor retort. Nowhere in that detailed post did he confirm agreement with you.

Glad you survived the storm hitman.
    I was fierce worried about you. The old doley threads wouldn’t be the same without you’re sarcastic yet “witty” remarks.
    If the long term Doley’s put in as much effort into finding a job as you do defending them the country would be thriving

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

atticu wrote: »
    ¿Hablas inglés?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Glad you survived the storm hitman. I was fierce worried about you. The old doley threads wouldn’t be the same without you’re sarcastic yet “witty†remarks. If the long term Doley’s put in as much effort into finding a job as you do defending them the country would be thriving

Or you could address my post instead of a personal go at me. But I'm come to expect nothing less tbh.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I don't buy it. Demographically, people on social welfare are less likely to vote.

If they wanted to buy votes, it'd be a giveaway budget for the middle class, like Fianna Fail did.

I'm not understanding this noise about the fiver. It comes across as pure begrudgery. Nobody here would be willing to trade places with someone on the dole, even after the extra fiver, but they don't want him to have it. "I know he's down there shovelling **** with his bare hands, but he can't have a spade while I still have to use a 3 year old computer to do my job, it's not fair".

Standard cost of living increase this year is about 2-3%. If you're not getting that, then be angry with your employer. Dishing out cost-of-living increases to taxpayers in the budget would kill economic growth.
    As another poster stated, pensioners are the most likely demographic to vote. This increase will buy their vote. Their aim is probably to take a few votes away from Labour or the Shinners.

If you don't understand the noise about the fiver well then maybe you're not in the same position as a lot of the working population. Working their arses into the ground for very little in return from their government. The average Irish person on 45k (just using the Irish overall average here) a year will most likely graft away only to have 11.5k taken from their pay, for what in return? Why slave away for 1920 hours per year when some able bodied person working 0 hours gets 11k handed to them per year (and growing).

So go away with your begrudgery statement. What the working population wants in this case is something to reward them for the graft they are putting in to rebuild the place after the ****shop we've had to put up with for the past ten years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Demonique

It's already happening. The amount of young people on disability is staggering. I agree that some disabilities are not obvious, but a huge percentage of what I see in the post office are scammers. Disability is never questioned once gained and entitles you to the medical card and ftp. Don't know the stroke they pulled,but it suits the government to get people off the live register.

Disability is paid directly into your bank account, the young people you see in the post office are on the dole

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I'm not understanding this noise about the fiver. It comes across as pure begrudgery. Nobody here would be willing to trade places with someone on the dole, even after the extra fiver...

Standard cost of living increase this year is about 2-3%. If you're not getting that, then be angry with your employer. Dishing out cost-of-living increases to taxpayers in the budget would kill economic growth.

It's the principle, some people who would prefer to be on the the dole are getting free money for doing nothing, there's nothing fair about that, the dole is appealing to a small minority. Most people don't get a raise every year and you cant expect employers to give everyone a raise so it's a little unfair for unemployed people to get a raise

• Registered Users Posts: 14,669 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Poor Mags is not happy with a counsellor calling her out on her nonsense giving out about the Government.

https://twitter.com/CllrPaddyMcKee/status/1050095981834973191

"So this is wat they do wen u shame them by telling the truth 😠 I stick by wat i said and i dont expect anything from this goverment. Do they really think that a fiver is gonna make much of a differnce? What have the done to change the housing crises? Nuting thats wat nutin coz there not capeable of changing it. They dont wanna change it. So cllr paddy mc **** i call ya ur good for nothing and the people u work for are good for nothing!!!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

john4321 wrote: »
    Poor Mags is not happy with a counsellor calling her out on her nonsense giving out about the Government.

"So this is wat they do wen u shame them by telling the truth 😠 I stick by wat i said and i dont expect anything from this goverment. Do they really think that a fiver is gonna make much of a differnce? What have the done to change the housing crises? Nuting thats wat nutin coz there not capeable of changing it. They dont wanna change it. So cllr paddy mc **** i call ya ur good for nothing and the people u work for are good for nothing!!!"

I read that as people who work are good for nothing

What a horrible leech she is

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

john4321 wrote: »

Fair play to that man for having the guts to say it out loud. I salute him, although I hate FF has to be said, sorry.

This man is a shining light for those who work to pay for these parasites who will NEVER be happy ever.

Advertisement