Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas bonus for welfare recipients not only restored but increased

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

It's funny. Lads whinge about the dole but yet there's lads turning up and clocking into jobs and clocking out and scratching their holes all day. Paid a big wedge and not a word is said about it and some cases paid for by the state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

It's funny. Lads whinge about the dole but yet there's lads turning up and clocking into jobs and clocking out and scratching their holes all day. Paid a big wedge and not a word is said about it and some cases paid for by the state.

Those same ones claiming they are funding the bonus spending an inordinate amount of time here whinging about wasters. What would their employer's think. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

We're not talking about productivity, we're talking about where taxpayers money goes. Even if every civil servant in the country did the bare minimum, they still pay the same amount of tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,638 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Whether someone in private enterprise does a lot, a little, or nothing, the same amount of tax is contributed to the pot to fund the wasters and the leeches

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

Congrats, I'm up E27 for the entire year. E438 less than the dole scroungers. Going to work in the dark and getting home in the dark makes it so worth it.

Anyone done the math on the increase auld maggie cash has got?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

rafatoni wrote: »

This is doing the rounds

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

RTÉ are reporting that a state of emergency has been declared this evening after 500,000 workers quit their jobs to sign on today.

One source was quoted as saying, "What's the bleedin point in workin? The working man gets nothing, better off on the dole. I'm gonna get that extra fiver even if it means I have to sell me gaff and go live in a flat"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

seamus wrote: »
    RTÉ are reporting that a state of emergency has been declared this evening after 500,000 workers quit their jobs to sign on today.

One source was quoted as saying, "What's the bleedin point in workin? The working man gets nothing, better off on the dole. I'm gonna get that extra fiver even if it means I have to sell me gaff and go live in a flat"

Flat will be covered by HAP. On to a good thing there!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

screamer wrote: »
    Couldn't care less what you guys think. It's pure disgraceful to give more money to people who won't work from our already over generous and over stretched welfare fund. Pensioners, disabled and genuine job seekers no problem but the work shy wasters, not a chance.

Completely agree. Have you numbers on these job dodgers? A man with two pints told me there was only five of them in the whole country.

After looking at this budget, I'll never vote for The Dutch Gold Drinkers party ever again :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

You seem like a reasonable, well balanced individual.

To OP has a point. Pensioners, carers, the disabled should be more than looked after. The able bodied who just don’t wish to work are the ones who should “FOAD” as you put it.

They would be called fraudsters.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Sounds like something you'd read from waterford whispers :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

They would be called fraudsters.

Not necessarily, it seems Margaret Cash has no wish to work and I'm not aware of her committing fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

How come no one ever gives out about our taxes funding politicians huge salaries or a president who stays in a 3k a night hotel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

fin12 wrote: »
    How come no one ever gives out about our taxes funding politicians huge salaries or a president who stays in a 3k a night hotel?

Politicians cost us a few million a year, the dole itself costs us a couple of billion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Politicians cost us a few million a year, the dole itself costs us a couple of billion.

Ya well I’m not happy about my taxes funding them so what can I do?

Oh ya that’s right nothing, just like ye can’t do anything about taxes funding social welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

rafatoni wrote: »

"Christmas? BAH ! HUMBUG!" so says Scrooge..

MYOB maybe?What anyone spends their welfare on etc is no-one else;s business. Their money after all..In this great welfare state

On which salutary note, over and out as getting serious RSS

May all children here have a wonderful Christmas, plenty of gifts and food and warmth... no begrudgery . and may hard pressed parents breathe easy and rest and renew ...

Over and out..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

You are actually not wrong. Plenty of people out there stealing a living so don't mind some of the bitter heads in here.

No problem with this anyway. Just because someone is on the scratch that doesn't mean they don't a Christmas to pay for like we all do.

And if you're really that bitter about it just tell yourself this: what can be given can oh so easily be taken away again. That's how politics works.

Oh ya that’s right nothing, just like ye can’t do anything about taxes funding social welfare.

There is plenty I can do. Emigrate, taking the skills I’ve learned here elsewhere and contributing to a non-pathetic economy. There is only so far people will be pushed. The rest can stay here in their social welfare utopia, see how the standard of living declines once the working public have had enough. We are already seeing it with doctors and nurses.

Graces7 wrote: »
    "Christmas? BAH ! HUMBUG!" so says Scrooge..

MYOB maybe?What anyone spends their welfare on etc is no-one else;s business. Their money after all..In this great welfare state

On which salutary note, over and out as getting serious RSS

May all children here have a wonderful Christmas, plenty of gifts and food and warmth... no begrudgery . and may hard pressed parents breathe easy and rest and renew ...

Over and out..

What a pathetic post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

So what date is this 'bonus' paid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,302 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

There is plenty I can do. Emigrate, taking the skills I’ve learned here elsewhere and contributing to a non-pathetic economy. There is only so far people will be pushed. The rest can stay here in their social welfare utopia, see how the standard of living declines once the working public have had enough. We are already seeing it with doctors and nurses.

I highly doubt any of the whingers will do anything. Just post on boards :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I wonder, has austerity had more to do with declining conditions for workers than other issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I wonder, has austerity had more to do with declining conditions for workers than other issues?

Austerity affected low to medium paid workers most.

Some people mentioned Dolores who won the Euromillions. I don't begrudge it to her. She was working two jobs to feed her family before she won the money. One of those jobs was as a cleaner. There are lots of people who turn down cleaning jobs because the dole would pay better. Dolores got off her backside and got a second job.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Emme wrote:
    Austerity affected low to medium paid workers most.

I'd imagine it affected a lot of public sector workers to, by increasing work loads etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I'd imagine it affected a lot of public sector workers to, by increasing work loads etc

I meant both public and private sector workers who are on a low to medium wage.

Public sector workloads were always high for those on lower grades - the higher grades continually find ways to delegate their work to those below them. Burnout is surprisingly common in the public sector lower grades and has become much more prevalent in lower grades since the recession. The bullying culture which has always been covertly encouraged has also become worse.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Use your vote. I know there aren't a lot of decent alternatives, but I'm sure there is someone who would be a nice change from the current shower. Completely unnecessary increase of social welfare and only serves to buy votes from people on welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

cournioni wrote: »
    Completely unnecessary increase of social welfare and only serves to buy votes from people on welfare.
    I don't buy it. Demographically, people on social welfare are less likely to vote.

If they wanted to buy votes, it'd be a giveaway budget for the middle class, like Fianna Fail did.

I'm not understanding this noise about the fiver. It comes across as pure begrudgery. Nobody here would be willing to trade places with someone on the dole, even after the extra fiver, but they don't want him to have it. "I know he's down there shovelling **** with his bare hands, but he can't have a spade while I still have to use a 3 year old computer to do my job, it's not fair".

Standard cost of living increase this year is about 2-3%. If you're not getting that, then be angry with your employer. Dishing out cost-of-living increases to taxpayers in the budget would kill economic growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭atticu

I don't buy it. Demographically, people on social welfare are less likely to vote.

And pensioners (people on social welfare) are more likely to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

atticu wrote: »
    And pensioners (people on social welfare) are more likely to vote.

There’s 2 types of state pension.contributary and non contributary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭atticu

Standard cost of living increase this year is about 2-3%. If you're not getting that, then be angry with your employer. Dishing out cost-of-living increases to taxpayers in the budget would kill economic growth.

This makes no sense.

How would it kill economic growth?

And if it will kill economic growth, why dish it out to those who don’t pay tax?

Advertisement