Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas bonus for welfare recipients not only restored but increased

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

There is no free house. people in social housing pay a % of their income to the council. I know someone in a council house, she showed me her rental review. She is disabled or would be working and she has to pay extra for medical stuff not on medical card. Even people who are on dole have to pay a % of their income to the council. It is true some are wasters and refuse to work. They are not made to work though - i know some of them they get away with it . So why don't the complainers here do likewise.? Get 'let go' and be 'unable to get a new job' and then you will be ok, complete with all bonuses. But not a free house

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

I'm prioritizing time with my family over a bigger pay cheque.

Besides, I think you've missed my point, I(and many others) are contributing to the economy in a positive way, why are lifelong dolers better looked after than us?

How are you prioritising time with your family when you work 75 hours a week?

I get your point, loads of other people are making it. However the expected average pay increase in the private sector is 3% this year from what I remember. That is worth we’ll more than €5 a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

eviltwin wrote: »
    Why is that old chestnut always thrown at those who work? Why not tell the wasters complaining about their welfare to get up off their holes?

Why is it one or the other? Can people not take some responsibility for improving their own situation? Workers see themselves as better than long term dolers so why don’t they prove it and increase their earnings above the €5 a week.

There are people who would sleep on the floor if work was in the bed, but there are many many more who end up out of work for a short time. They get the €5 extra week too. Unemployment has been steadily dropping for years now which shows that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

There is no free house. people in social housing pay a % of their income to the council. I know someone in a council house, she showed me her rental review. She is disabled or would be working and she has to pay extra for medical stuff not on medical card. Even people who are on dole have to pay a % of their income to the council. It is true some are wasters and refuse to work. They are not made to work though - i know some of them they get away with it . So why don't the complainers here do likewise.? Get 'let go' and be 'unable to get a new job' and then you will be ok, complete with all bonuses. But not a free house

This again Christ...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,037 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I, like many others choose to work because it is how we are reared, my parents worked hard because it's how they were reared and in that generation you worked hard or you starved.

no, you work because you need to make money. nobody works because "it's how they were brought up" they work because they need to make money, and to access all the opportunities that working can bring.
    Why is that old chestnut always thrown at those who work? Why not tell the wasters complaining about their welfare to get up off their holes?

because there would be no point. there is nothing for them to get up off their holes for. employers don't want them and workers don't want to have to work with them.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

tobsey wrote: »
    Why is it one or the other? Can people not take some responsibility for improving their own situation? Workers see themselves as better than long term dolers so why don’t they prove it and increase their earnings above the €5 a week.

There are people who would sleep on the floor if work was in the bed, but there are many many more who end up out of work for a short time. They get the €5 extra week too. Unemployment has been steadily dropping for years now which shows that.

Work has to be seen to be a better option than doing nothing. It's not going to be attractive to a long term unemployed person if there's no incentive and no concession to workers doesn't encourage anyone to get work.

Most people want to work and see a benefit to it besides income. It's good to have a purpose hence people are actively seeking jobs but it's not them we are talking about. It's the group who don't want to work and who are effectively unemployable.

Again I don't begrudge anyone the increase and think in many cases it should be more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

As much as I ****ing hate paying for these wasters, do you realise how much it would cost to get them back into work?

Apart from training, which they wouldn't want to do, you'd pretty much need to hire someone to sit on them to do anything in the workplace.

If you turned your back on them for 10 mins, they'd be either out the door down the pub or skiving off.

And as EOTR said, no-one would want to work with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

As much as I ****ing hate paying for these wasters, do you realise how much it would cost to get them back into work?

Apart from training, which they wouldn't want to do, you'd pretty much need to hire someone to sit on them to do anything in the workplace.

If you turned your back on them for 10 mins, they'd be either out the door down the pub or skiving off.

What's the alternative? Pay for them to do nothing for the next 40 years?

I'd like to think that some of these people can become normal members of society. Maybe we need to make it so they have no choice but to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Where does the “income” that they pay their rent with come from??

So punish them by deducting from their dole. If I walk out of my job on a half day for no reason I won’t get paid for it. Why should it be any different for Johnny Dolequeue??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

I'm prioritizing time with my family over a bigger pay cheque.

Ah come on, dya not see how convoluted that is? If you're working 75 hours a week for an apparent pittance, the one thing you absolutely are not doing is proritizing time with your family.

Sure when would they see you?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,613 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'll say one thing for the Sun - they know their readership.

sun-4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

It may come from their dole/pension/illness benefit, but that doesn't make it a 'free house'. If your granny buys a litre of milk with her pension, would you regard that as a 'free' litre of milk?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

It may come from their dole/pension/illness benefit, but that doesn't make it a 'free house'. If your granny buys a litre of milk with her pension, would you regard that as a 'free' litre of milk?

I wouldn't because she would have worked and contributed towards her pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,900 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Just a question here for people advocating for the payment of the Christmas bonus which is estimated to cost the state €257 Million do you think the money could be spent better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

john4321 wrote:
    Just a question here for people advocating for the payment of the Christmas bonus which is estimated to cost the state €257 Million do you think the money could be spent better?

Seeing as pensioners are the biggest recipients of the bonus no I don't think it could be spent better. The majority of the money will be spent in the economy. The government will get back at least 25 per cent of it in vat, possibly more when you factor in other taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

screamer wrote: »
    From 85 to 100 percent. Ah fair play regina, sure why give Job Dodgers any incentive to get out of bed in the morning and do an honest days work for an honest days pay..... Talk about an own goal

It's not just people on the dole who receive it, it's people on disability payments as well, I have a disabled family member, should she not receive it because spongers like Margaret Cash exist?

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Seeing as pensioners are the biggest recipients of the bonus no I don't think it could be spent better. The majority of the money will be spent in the economy. The government will get back at least 25 per cent of it in vat, possibly more when you factor in other taxes.

Ok but on the other hand if they used the money to hire 1000 hospital consultants do you not think that would be a greater benefit to society?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,037 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

What's the alternative? Pay for them to do nothing for the next 40 years?

yes . it's possibly the cheapist thing to do. or at least, it's probably the lesser out of having them possibly make the work place a difficult environment.
    I'd like to think that some of these people can become normal members of society. Maybe we need to make it so they have no choice but to work.

we can't make it so they have no choice but to work. it's just not possible. as i said, no employer will touch them. nobody wants to work with them. we'd need to employ people to supervise them to insure they work even if an employer did surprise us.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

john4321 wrote:
    Ok but on the other hand if they used the money to hire 1000 hospital consultants do you not think that would be a greater benefit to society?

I answered your question, if you don't like the answer just say what would be an acceptable answer to you.

• Advertisement

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    I answered your question, if you don't like the answer just say what would be an acceptable answer to you.

Are you the spokesperson for this debate? I thought the whole point of a forum was to discuss not just shoot people down. I never said I disagreed with you I just posted an alternative point to your reply. You have an aggressive style of posting that adds little to a conversation where you attack the poster and fail to address the post.

john4321 wrote:
    Are you the spokesperson for this debate? I thought the whole point of a forum was to discuss not just shoot people down. I never said I disagreed with you I just posted an alternative point to your reply. You have an aggressive style of posting that adds little to a conversation where you attack the poster and fail to address the post.

You posed a question, I answered you from my perspective only for you to follow it up with would it not be better to do something. That tells me you had already decided what type of answer you find acceptable. As for attack where are you getting that out of?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

fine gael can never be classed as a right wing party after today, the biggest liberal/social budget you will ever see.

and yet, the whingers like Coppinger, Boyd B and Sinn Fein still are not happy despite the fact that the tax payer really got f*cked over today.

i shudder at the thought how bad things would get if Sinn fein ever get into power, the country would be ruined and become the biggest welfare state in the world.
    We now have left wing government here! That budget is the most unbelievable incomprehensible **** , it’s beyond belief! An insult to workers would be an understatement! Ff don’t have to vote it through , they should say it’s too poor a real for workers, not pass it and call an election, Do us all a favor! Say it’s gone too far with housing and not rewarding work , use it as a reason to pull the plug. They’ll probably never leave fg shadow now unless they do something “drastic “

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ireland is a welfare state. Google what that means maybe?

So punish them by deducting from their dole. If I walk out of my job on a half day for no reason I won’t get paid for it. Why should it be any different for Johnny Dolequeue??

Then under the welfare state they would get more welfare money?

Graces7 wrote: »
    Then under the welfare state they would get more welfare money?

Maybe look up deduct love. They’d get less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Christmas bonus and €5 extra a week

That's €400 extra a year

Nice payment rise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

It’s a bit much. The Troika were telling our lads to make changes to welfare, to reduce it if it was being abused by people staying on it for years even if they can work. The Government never got around to it though. The yokes.

@weldoninhio your messages are coming in blank. Interesting ..

• Advertisement

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Christmas bonus and €5 extra a week

That's €400 extra a year

Nice payment rise

Much needed and valued if you are Irish and in need

Advertisement