Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas bonus for welfare recipients not only restored but increased

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Graces7 wrote: »
    Much needed and valued if you are Irish and in need

Much needed by working people too

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Racist too I see.

Funny how you pretend to be interested in Irish workers when you are in fact English and living on a UK pension.

Samsgirl wrote: »
    Earned and needed, that's the key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

if you are genuinely looking for work or unable to work for health reasons I've no problem people getting help from the state

if however you've been on the dole long term its a joke.
    I know lads could walk into a job (after doing a one day safe pass) on a building site labouring for around €100 a day.
    plasterers and block layers are crying out for lads to throw mixed stuff up to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

They could be waiting a while for some. Youd be pulling your hair out

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

@ELM327;108310969

for some reason my server is refusing to accept your posts.

• Advertisement

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    if you are genuinely looking for work or unable to work for health reasons I've no problem people getting help from the state

if however you've been on the dole long term its a joke.
    I know lads could walk into a job (after doing a one day safe pass) on a building site labouring for around €100 a day.
    plasterers and block layers are crying out for lads to throw mixed stuff up to them

Agree totally. But as the old saying goes, you can lead a horse to water but getting it to drink?

But as many others have said so eloquently, given the ribald anger here of many posters, being integrated after long term unemployment is another matter altogether.

Agree totally; thank you. But that is not our decision to make is it?

Have you by the way tried living on basic unemployment?

Agree totally; thank you. But that is not our decision to make is it?

Have you by the way tried living on basic unemployment?

I have and I survived and I got a job and returned to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

@ELM327;108310969

for some reason my server is refusing to accept your posts.

It's ok, your racism and anti jobs stances are probably too hard for it to comprehend

Agree totally. But as the old saying goes, you can lead a horse to water but getting it to drink?

But as many others have said so eloquently, given the ribald anger here of many posters, being integrated after long term unemployment is another matter altogether.

No one should be long term unemployed. The recession is long since dead and we have pretty much full employment

I have and I survived and I got a job and returned to work.

Good for you. ;)

But many are simply inadequate. Not as simple as that and really you need to respect that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I wouldn't because she would have worked and contributed towards her pension.

What if your granny had never worked, or had been on a disability pension for most of her life? Is the litre of milk she bought with her pension then 'free milk'? Of course it isn't - no more than her council house is a 'free house'.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

It may come from their dole/pension/illness benefit, but that doesn't make it a 'free house'. If your granny buys a litre of milk with her pension, would you regard that as a 'free' litre of milk?

Do you reckon that stuff you buy with free money somehow isn't free?

Anyway - let the good times roll, the budget calculator has just informed me of a nice little windfall.

€4.86 - Every. Single. Week

Cha ching:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Good for you. ;)

But many are simply inadequate. Not as simple as that and really you need to respect that.

Many what are inadequate? People:eek:?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

What if your granny had never worked, or had been on a disability pension for most of her life? Is the litre of milk she bought with her pension then 'free milk'? Of course it isn't - no more than her council house is a 'free house'.

Of course its free, the means to purchase it are given gratis, without ever having to life a finger, ever. Do you know the difference between free and earned??

Good for you. ;)

And you need to respect that hard working people have a right to be pissed off about the unfairness of it

What if, what if, what if, what if..........

Do you reckon that stuff you buy with free money somehow isn't free?

Anyway - let the good times roll, the budget calculator has just informed me of a nice little windfall.

€4.86 - Every. Single. Week

Cha ching:D

Congrats, I'm up E27 for the entire year. E438 less than the dole scroungers. Going to work in the dark and getting home in the dark makes it so worth it.

Of course its free, the means to purchase it are given gratis, without ever having to life a finger, ever. Do you know the difference between free and earned??

By this logic, a lotto winner has 'won' everything they purchase with their winnings.

By this logic, a lotto winner has 'won' everything they purchase with their winnings.

Pretty much. Yes. Is it that difficult to understand??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Going to work in the dark and getting home in the dark makes it so worth it.

Get a job that starts at 3pm and ends at 9am......

• Advertisement

Pretty much. Yes. Is it that difficult to understand??

Yes, they ought to be congratulated every time they pop into Londis to buy win a sliced pan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    It demonstrated how pensioners would react if they were targeted. The other posters point stands. You would be in a minority.

Pensioners were targeted.

That protest was about medical cards.

Subsequently they endured cuts and medical card reductions but by then it wasn't run with by the media.

Pensioners are still worse off than before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

Read my post again, it's in plain English.

OK, Let me rephrase: are you OK with private bank debts being paid by our budget? An you (and each member of your family) owe some unnamed bondholders 42K(public debt), even though you never seen that money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

na1 wrote:
    OK, Let me rephrase: are you OK with private bank debts being paid by our budget? An you (and each member of your family) owe some unnamed bondholders 42K(public debt), even though you never seen that money?

So you jumped from me discussing a hypothetical crime I may be a victim of on here to this? I'm genuinely at a loss to understand what relevance the above has to do with this thread and what you expect off me.

Hoboo wrote: »
    Get a job that starts at 3pm and ends at 9am......
    many long term jobseekers live on these "working hours". Getting up at 3 pm and going to bed in the morning.

So you jumped from me discussing a hypothetical crime I may be a victim of on here to this? I'm genuinely at a loss to understand what relevance the above has to do with this thread and what you expect off me.
    You couldn't be a victim since this is NOT A CRIME, its A LAW!
    This was just first question in the list. So are you OK if somebody makes you owe the money you didn't borrow?
    If tomorrow the state declares you ow me some 50k, just because they want it, you are OK with this? The state just legalize the case when somebody can take money from others for free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

na1 wrote:
    You couldn't be a victim since this is NOT A CRIME, its A LAW! This was just first question in the list. So are you OK if somebody makes you owe the money you didn't borrow? If tomorrow the state declares you ow me some 50k, just because they want it, you are OK with this? The state just legalize the case when somebody can take money from others for free?

You asked me yesterday about what if I were mugged and the responses I would receive from posters here. I told you why would discuss a crime on Boards instead of a Garda station. Again with respect I can't make any sense of what you are asking, maybe your questions make sense to you but you have me lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Congrats, I'm up E27 for the entire year. E438 less than the dole scroungers. Going to work in the dark and getting home in the dark makes it so worth it.

A single person on the dole is not getting an extra 465 a year. They are getting €5 a week from March, and the Christmas bonus is increasing from 85% of 198 to 100% of 203. So they are getting a total increase next year of €251 from 2018. That's for people who are on the dole for the whole year. Many people will sign on for a short time while they are between jobs who will also gain the extra €5, but it won't make that much of a difference to the overall cost to the state.

Someone mentioned above that the Christmas bonus will cost the state €257m. There are 205,730 on the live register according to the CSO from September. At €203 each that totals €41m. So the bonuses paid to other recepients accounts for over 80% of the cost.

People talk about these small welfare increases as if the only people that benefit are long term unemployed wasters who will never contribute. The vast majority of welfare is paid to people who really need it. Witholding €5 a week from long term unemployed will not make them any more likely to work. However giving it to people who are in need will make a big difference. In a lot of cases they'll only be in receipt for a short time so the overall cost is small.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

na1 wrote: »

When you say this, do you picture some (unnamed) billionaire sitting in his mansion with a brandy and cigar laughing at the poor people?

Do you understand what bonds are and how they work? If you have a pension then chances are you (an ordinary joe) is a bond holder.

• Advertisement

john4321 wrote: »
    Just a question here for people advocating for the payment of the Christmas bonus which is estimated to cost the state €257 Million do you think the money could be spent better?

Distribute these €257 millions across WORKING PEOPLE.
    And they will spend the same amount money in local retails for Christmas shopping.

Advertisement