Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas bonus for welfare recipients not only restored but increased

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

fin12 wrote: »
    I don’t support that particular scenario because I’m working and saving for a deposit and know that’s my only option to get my own home but I don’t have a problem with welfare being increased because genuine people who are on jobseekers should not be penalized because of a minority.

How do u think it feels when someone has worked hard for years ends up on jobseekers through no fault of their own liten8ng to people begrudge them, they have paid into it. It’s not fair that they are classed the same as the f*cker who hasn’t worked for 20 years.

If someone has only lost their job in the last 3/6/9 months they’ll get no “bonus”. It’s for long term wasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

If someone has only lost their job in the last 3/6/9 months they’ll get no “bonus”. It’s for long term wasters.

That’s not true, I signed on last year in November so I was only a couple of weeks claiming jobseekers and got the Christmas bonus.

And before people start jumping down my throat, I’m working now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 330 ✭✭All Seeing Eye

I don’t support that particular scenario because I’m working and saving for a deposit and know that’s my only option to get my own home but I don’t have a problem with welfare being increased because genuine people who are on jobseekers should not be penalized because of a minority.

How do u think it feels when someone has worked hard for years ends up on jobseekers through no fault of their own liten8ng to people begrudge them, they have paid into it. It’s not fair that they are classed the same as the f*cker who hasn’t worked for 20 years.

If you read some of the earlier posts from me on this thread I have said that SW was designed to help genuine people out especially if someone is in between jobs. But the system has now been high jacked by long term wasters, single mothers etc. who have done nothing with their lives and get rewarded for it. What is the scenario you are referring to? I was talking about supposed single mothers who are just gaming the system. They have no intention of ever working or doing anything to contribute to the tax system.

That’s not true, I signed on last year in November so I was only a couple of weeks claiming jobseekers and got the Christmas bonus.

Well you shouldn’t have

“For Jobseeker’s Allowance (JA) or Basic Supplementary Welfare Allowance (BSWA), you must be getting the payment for 15 months to get a Christmas Bonus”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭oceanman

lucky you got that last line in...….you would have been eaten alive! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Petyr Baelish

Sickening. I got less than a euro in tax reduction per week.

Well you shouldn’t have

“For Jobseeker’s Allowance (JA) or Basic Supplementary Welfare Allowance (BSWA), you must be getting the payment for 15 months to get a Christmas Bonus”

Well I can guarantee you if I wasn’t supposed to have received that payment, I would have been issued with a debt repayment from social welfare a long time ago.

Sickening. I got less than a euro in tax reduction per week.

I got an extra €1.58 per week. That’ll make getting up at 6:45 tomorrow morning and getting home at 6:30 tomorrow evening totally worth it.

Well I can guarantee you if I wasn’t supposed to have received that payment, I would have been issued with a debt repayment from social welfare a long time ago.

I’m only going by their website. Clearly states that the Christmas bonus is for those on sw or other payment for 15 months.

I’m only going by their website. Clearly states that the Christmas bonus is for those on sw or other payment for 15 months.

Yes but the government lie, they also state that its only long term unemployed get referred to schemes such as Turas Nua but it’s not true, I was referred to them after two weeks.

I don’t know why they are telling the general public it’s only for long term unemployed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    What really intrigues me about threads like this is the level of moaning by some. Honestly if the dole is so great why isn't the unemployment rate higher. Like it's painted as a wonderful life. Seems strange anyone would choose work. 2.2 million people, myself included must be awful idiots .

Next time you've been robbed by a scumbag, we'll say:
    why are you moaning? Rob someone else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

49c reduction in tax a week!

I dont get up early enough for Leo...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

na1 wrote:
    Next time you've been robbed by a scumbag, we'll say: why are you moaning? Rob someone else!

If I am robbed it would be in a Garda station I'd be discussing it, not on Boards. Did you think that reply out at all before you posted?

If I am robbed it would be in a Garda station I'd be discussing it, not on Boards. Did you think that reply out at all before you posted?
    And you won't be allowed to discuss the robbery on the boards?

na1 wrote:
    And you won't be allowed to discuss the robbery on the boards?

Read my post again, it's in plain English.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭oceanman

What really intrigues me about threads like this is the level of moaning by some. Honestly if the dole is so great why isn't the unemployment rate higher. Like it's painted as a wonderful life. Seems strange anyone would choose work. 2.2 million people, myself included must be awful idiots .
    they do it to get the extra fiver a week..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

Well the good news is one of today's budget measures is access to the dole for the self employed. You can live the dream now aswell.
    So for doing 130+ hours a week myself and my also self employed partner will be up about 15 a week where as the skillfully unemployed will be up 10 + 2 weeks free wages as an xmas bonus for not getting up in the morning. Yep, the dream is truly alive and well

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

I left my job a few months ago and haven't bothered looking for a job since. Don't need one financially at this moment in time.

I collect my 200 a week, watch telly, do odd jobs I never had the time to do when I was working.

The other day I slept in till 13:30. It's getting harder and harder to get out of bed.

Signpost wrote:
    So for doing 130+ hours a week myself and my also self employed partner will be up about 15 a week where as the skillfully unemployed will be up 10 + 2 weeks free wages as an xmas bonus for not getting up in the morning. Yep, the dream is truly alive and well

If you have Google maps on your phone it will show you where your local unemployment office is. You can share the dream aswell. Although I thought the Christmas bonus was only one week. You're claiming it's 2 now. Btw how do you manage to work 130 hours in a week when a week only has 168 hours?

Try_harder wrote: »
    49c reduction in tax a week!

I dont get up early enough for Leo...

May be he was talking about post office open hours?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

If you have Google maps on your phone it will show you where your local unemployment office is. You can share the dream aswell. Although I thought the Christmas bonus was only one week. You're claiming it's 2 now. Btw how do you manage to work 130 hours in a week when a week only has 168 hours?
    'Myself & partner' - I wonder would it be a sum total of hours, even though there has been weeks where I have worked those hours myself. Unfortunately when its your own business you have to make sacrifices.
    Also on xmas bonus, I quoted myself and partner as 15 a week, perhaps I wasn't clear insinuating that I meant an unemployed couple, for this I am truly sorry.

Signpost wrote:
    'Myself & partner' - I wonder would it be a sum total of hours, even though there has been weeks where I have worked those hours myself. Unfortunately when its your own business you have to make sacrifices. Also on xmas bonus, I quoted myself and partner as 15 a week, perhaps I wasn't clear insinuating that I meant an unemployed couple, for this I am truly sorry.

No need to be sorry, your post was all over the place tbh I had trouble trying to make sense of it. 15 euro extra a week not bad. PWc works out my increase and my wife's at 3 euro combined but I find not being bitter towards others is far more beneficial to my health than a couple of euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭Odhinn

No need to be sorry, your post was all over the place tbh I had trouble trying to make sense of it. 15 euro extra a week not bad. PWc works out my increase and my wife's at 3 euro combined but I find not being bitter towards others is far more beneficial to my health than a couple of euro.

Ye liberal weirdo ye. Hating amorphous minorties is part of our culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Great country, I work on average 75 hours per week across two jobs, both of them labour intensive and both of them poorly paid, Leo and co have rewarded me about 60cents per week fair play to them. Of course that and more will immediately be eaten up with a stealth tax or three, of some kind anyway.

I, like many others choose to work because it is how we are reared, my parents worked hard because it's how they were reared and in that generation you worked hard or you starved.

We have a generation of dolers in this country that don't have to work hard, infact they don't have to work at all because everything is provided for them, they get their free house, the dole, fuel allowance, medical card, child benefit and a whole bunch of other handouts that most people don't even know exist.

Fueled by greed, apologists, left wing media and a left leaning government, Leo and co don't live in the real world, they don't have to make a choice between seeing a doctor or paying the ESB like the low income workers, the media have insulated them from what's really going on.

Where are the alternatives? Where are the political party's that will stand up for the decent people of this country? There are none, come election time the same stooges or a similar shower of **** will get in and the gravy train will continue, at our expense of course.

Of course social welfare is not the only problem, the chronic waste of taxpayers money is in every government department, but at least in other departments they are putting something back into the system, lifelong dolers contribute nothing yet they are threated better that the working people in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Great country, I work on average 75 hours per week across two jobs, both of them labour intensive and both of them poorly paid, Leo and co have rewarded me about 60cents per week fair play to them. Of course that and more will immediately be eaten up with a stealth tax or three, of some kind anyway.

I, like many others choose to work because it is how we are reared, my parents worked hard because it's how they were reared and in that generation you worked hard or you starved.

We have a generation of dolers in this country that don't have to work hard, infact they don't have to work at all because everything is provided for them, they get their free house, the dole, fuel allowance, medical card, child benefit and a whole bunch of other handouts that most people don't even know exist.

Fueled by greed, apologists, left wing media and a left leaning government, Leo and co don't live in the real world, they don't have to make a choice between seeing a doctor or paying the ESB like the low income workers, the media have insulated them from what's really going on.

Where are the alternatives? Where are the political party's that will stand up for the decent people of this country? There are none, come election time the same stooges or a similar shower of **** will get in and the gravy train will continue, at our expense of course.

Of course social welfare is not the only problem, the chronic waste of taxpayers money is in every government department, but at least in other departments they are putting something back into the system, lifelong dolers contribute nothing yet they are threated better that the working people in this country.

Why don’t you get a pay increase or a better paying job? Your figures there don’t make sense. People who are 60c better off a week after the tax cuts earn about 26000. At 75 hours a week that’s less than €7 an hour. Why is it up to some political party to make things better? Can you not do something about it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,348 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

tobsey wrote: »
    Why don’t you get a pay increase or a better paying job? Your figures there don’t make sense. People who are 60c better off a week after the tax cuts earn about 26000. At 75 hours a week that’s less than €7 an hour. Why is it up to some political party to make things better? Can you not do something about it yourself?

funny how people always say that. i've never managed to walk out of job and into a another one always been hard, now im getting on a bit nobody even looks at your CV

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Why is that old chestnut always thrown at those who work? Why not tell the wasters complaining about their welfare to get up off their holes?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

fine gael can never be classed as a right wing party after today, the biggest liberal/social budget you will ever see.

and yet, the whingers like Coppinger, Boyd B and Sinn Fein still are not happy despite the fact that the tax payer really got f*cked over today.

i shudder at the thought how bad things would get if Sinn fein ever get into power, the country would be ruined and become the biggest welfare state in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

I'm prioritizing time with my family over a bigger pay cheque.

Besides, I think you've missed my point, I(and many others) are contributing to the economy in a positive way, why are lifelong dolers better looked after than us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I'm prioritizing time with my family over a bigger pay cheque.

Besides, I think you've missed my point, I(and many others) are contributing to the economy in a positive way, why are lifelong dolers better looked after than us?

Because they are the underprivileged and deserve to scrounge off the rest of us

Advertisement