Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas bonus for welfare recipients not only restored but increased

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    It's not free they pay a differential rent. It's up to the council's to enforce rent collection.

It's up to the renter to actually be responsible and pay their rent. Why should they have to be chased by the council. They have a house for half nothing in the first place .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

So you haven't done 60 hours thanks for clearing that up .

Poster didn't claim to have. Said it's a 60 hour week.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

PauloMN wrote: »
    back from what?

Why the fat cat bankers of course!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Well 217 euro a year - roughly - from the Budget.

Skivers getting 260. Plus the Bonus.

"Hard work is it's own reward" - Ireland by passed that clearly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

No issue whatsoever with those in need claiming the dole but this is purely an exercise in getting votes, same as upping the pension.

Health and housing is where any available money should be going.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

So its a bad idea to assume the long term unemployed don't have jobs??

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

:D:D
    Well 217 euro a year - roughly - from the Budget.

Skivers getting 260. Plus the Bonus.

"Hard work is it's own reward" - Ireland by passed that clearly.

When Leo said he wanted to reward those who got up early in the morning, who knew he meant to go to the early house?

You're dead right Hitman - you should never assume anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Samsgirl wrote:
    It's up to the renter to actually be responsible and pay their rent. Why should they have to be chased by the council. They have a house for half nothing in the first place .

How's things in utopia? You do realise the real world doesn't operate this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

No issue whatsoever with those in need claiming the dole but this is purely an exercise in getting votes, same as upping the pension.

Health and housing is where any available money should be going.

And likely a futile one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭oceanman

naughtb4 wrote: »
    And likely a futile one
    nah...pensioners vote in big numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Myself and my husband both work. We are doing okay but some weeks we struggle. Currently I'm trying to scrap money together to pay to fix my banger of a car and pay my daughter's college fees. We get nothing apart from child benefit.

I calculated that our combined benefit from the budget is an extra 86 euros a year. That's between the two of us. I'm happy to pay my taxes and grateful to be working, I don't begrudge anyone on welfare getting the extra 5 quid or the Christmas bonus. I just would like the same consideration as those not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

oceanman wrote: »
    nah...pensioners vote in big numbers.

I am a pensioner and my vote would go to a party who scrapped these vote begging handouts and put it into health and to carers who need it .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭oceanman

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I am a pensioner and my vote would go to a party who scrapped these vote begging handouts and put it into health and to carers who need it .
    im afraid you would be in the minority though..

oceanman wrote: »
    im afraid you would be in the minority though..

How do you know ? Just wondering ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 330 ✭✭All Seeing Eye

So a budget for Bums and Wasters

iamwhoiam wrote:
    How do you know ? Just wondering ?

When the pervious FF government tried to introduce cuts to pensioners when the recession struck. Pensioners took to the streets in their 1000's to protest. I'm guessing that's how they know you're in the minority.

When the pervious FF government tried to introduce cuts to pensioners when the recession struck. Pensioners took to the streets in their 1000's to protest. I'm guessing that's how they know you're in the minority.

Bit of a difference between not increasing and cutting a pension though

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

So a budget for Bums and Wasters
    Not just bums and wasters but the whole bloody colon too (continuing your analogy)

iamwhoiam wrote:
    Bit of a difference between not increasing and cutting a pension though

It demonstrated how pensioners would react if they were targeted. The other posters point stands. You would be in a minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭Cordell

pgj2015 wrote: »
    The government do this every year, release a rumour that they are going to increase the price of something, then increase it by half that amount so we say its not too bad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Door-in-the-face_technique

• Advertisement

Such terrible inequality in this country. A couple both work hard, save to get a mortgage and continue working hard to pay for their house, car and bills. A "single" mother gets HAP and moves into a similar house across the way and then starts banging out kids getting paid extra for each one while the working couple have to worry about paying for any kids they have. Then to top it off the "single" mother gets a bonus and extra money every week so that she can hang around posting on face book all day or getting here nails done. No wonder people are pissed off. This is the type of society Hitman and his mates support.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Such terrible inequality in this country. A couple both work hard, save to get a mortgage and continue working hard to pay for their house, car and bills. A "single" mother gets HAP and moves into a similar house across the way and then starts banging out kids getting paid extra for each one while the working couple have to worry about paying for any kids they have. Then to top it off the "single" mother gets a bonus and extra money every week so that she can hang around posting on face book all day or getting here nails done. No wonder people are pissed off. This is the type of society Hitman and his mates support.

It must be very stress relieving to unload all your bitterness and problems at a hate figure.

Odhinn wrote: »
    It must be very stress relieving to unload all your bitterness and problems at a hate figure.

Ha ha, no just saying it as it is. Terrible inequality in Irish society. Why didn't they just give the bonus to pensioners and genuine SW recipients such as carers etc. The working persons reward is basically a kick in the sack!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,894 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

screamer wrote: »
    From 85 to 100 percent. Ah fair play regina, sure why give Job Dodgers any incentive to get out of bed in the morning and do an honest days work for an honest days pay..... Talk about an own goal

The off licences will be delighted that week :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I don't know why SW increases have to be universal. Why not give the increase to those who don't have the option to work, carers, the elderly and disabled.

Give the increase to those who want to get off welfare in the form of free childcare, college tuition etc

For those who don't want to better themselves cut their payments until they get off their holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Idbatterim wrote: »
    They are paying into a system with an outrageous welfare system for some. Reducing their standard of living, is it hard to understand? You think the **** that goes on here would be tolerated anywhere else ? The working poor propping up the work shy wasters who probably have a better standard of living if they are getting their free house? No job, guaranteed income , no commute... how awful!

I’m pretty sure that sh*t ur referring to goes on in England aswell.

Houses have been built and payed for by Uk social welfare in Romania.

fin12 wrote: »
    I’m pretty sure that sh*t ur referring to goes on in England aswell.

Houses have been built and payed for by Uk social welfare in Romania.

Not up on English taxes etc. but I know most workers there aren't paying more than they were 10 years ago. While the Irish worker has less take home than 10 years ago while having to stomach seeing the SW waster crowd getting more money, housing benefits etc. even during an economic boom created by the aforementioned workers.

The latter won't be happening from next year on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

I wonder what percentage of workers will get €600 tax free in to their hands just before Christmas?

Even if they loose their jobs just before Christmas they'll get nothing.
    The X-mas bonus is only for long term "seekers"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I don’t support that particular scenario because I’m working and saving for a deposit and know that’s my only option to get my own home but I don’t have a problem with welfare being increased because genuine people who are on jobseekers should not be penalized because of a minority.

How do u think it feels when someone has worked hard for years ends up on jobseekers through no fault of their own liten8ng to people begrudge them, they have paid into it. It’s not fair that they are classed the same as the f*cker who hasn’t worked for 20 years.

• Advertisement

na1 wrote: »
    Even if they loose their jobs just before Christmas they'll get nothing.
    The X-mas bonus is only for long term "seekers"

Not only that but if they loose their job in 2018 their salary in 2016 is taken into account . So if they had a low income in 2016 ( €200-300 a week ) they get a reduced amount of €155 . While the long term never worked a day person gets €198 ( not reduced )

Advertisement