Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas bonus for welfare recipients not only restored but increased

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

Demonique wrote: »
    It's not just people on the dole who receive it, it's people on disability payments as well, I have a disabled family member, should she not receive it because spongers like Margaret Cash exist?

So you're saying: lets people like Cash steal from other people, not from my disabled family member?

When you say this, do you picture some (unnamed) billionaire sitting in his mansion with a brandy and cigar laughing at the poor people?

Do you understand what bonds are and how they work? If you have a pension then chances are you (an ordinary joe) is a bond holder.

Yes, exactly! I picture myself as a bond holder, and Hitman3000 ows me 42K
    I'm just checking if Hitman3000 is OK with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

na1 wrote: »
    Distribute these €257 millions across WORKING PEOPLE.
    And they will spend the same amount money in local retails for Christmas shopping.

The vast majority of that money is going towards pensioners, people on disability, carers, etc. If you want tighter restrictions for people on long term welfare payments, fine, no argument from me, but to ask for all of the christmas bonus money to be redistributed to workers instead is just as selfish and entitled as those who think they should be able to claim welfare year after year for no reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

na1 wrote:
    Yes, exactly! I picture myself as a bond holder, and Hitman3000 ows me 42K I'm just checking if Hitman3000 is OK with that?

The question you asked me yesterday made absolutely no sense, this one is even further down the rabbit hole, I have no intention in leaving myself open to a warning because of your behaviour. Try it on with someone else. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

By this logic, a lotto winner has 'won' everything they purchase with their winnings.

Now you're getting it.

Delores McNamarra didn't actually earn that yacht or that villa. She's a very lucky lady, she got them for free. Well technically they probably cost her a fiver, but it's as good as free, and actually free if she didn't earn that fiver in the first place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

tobsey wrote: »
    A single person on the dole is not getting an extra 465 a year. They are getting €5 a week from March, and the Christmas bonus is increasing from 85% of 198 to 100% of 203. So they are getting a total increase next year of €251 from 2018. That's for people who are on the dole for the whole year. Many people will sign on for a short time while they are between jobs who will also gain the extra €5, but it won't make that much of a difference to the overall cost to the state.

Someone mentioned above that the Christmas bonus will cost the state €257m. There are 205,730 on the live register according to the CSO from September. At €203 each that totals €41m. So the bonuses paid to other recepients accounts for over 80% of the cost.

People talk about these small welfare increases as if the only people that benefit are long term unemployed wasters who will never contribute. The vast majority of welfare is paid to people who really need it. Witholding €5 a week from long term unemployed will not make them any more likely to work. However giving it to people who are in need will make a big difference. In a lot of cases they'll only be in receipt for a short time so the overall cost is small.

Over a 12 month period it is €460.

5*52=260 + 200 'bonus' = 460

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Now you're getting it.

Delores McNamarra didn't actually earn that yacht or that villa. She's a very lucky lady, she got them for free. Well technically they probably cost her a fiver, but it's as good as free, and actually free if she didn't earn that fiver in the first place!

Exactly, which is why she doesn't ever buy anything - she 'wins' it. Makes total sense. Also, people who inherit large sums of money - they wouldn't buy a loaf of bread in a shop; they 'inherit' it. Glad that's all cleared up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Exactly, which is why she doesn't ever buy anything - she 'wins' it. Makes total sense. Also, people who inherit large sums of money - they wouldn't buy a loaf of bread in a shop; they 'inherit' it. Glad that's all cleared up.
    And if I found a tenner and went into a shop I would apparently have found a bottle of wine !!!

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    The question you asked me yesterday made absolutely no sense, this one is even further down the rabbit hole, I have no intention in leaving myself open to a warning because of your behaviour. Try it on with someone else. Thanks.
    So you feel offended when talking about your personal money, but suggest other people shouldn't feel offended when they see their money being wasted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I'm sure she does buy stuff, but its with the money she won. :rolleyes: But i'm sure you know this and are just playing dumb.

• Advertisement

na1 wrote:
    So you feel offended when talking about your personal money, but suggest other people shouldn't feel offended when they see their money being wasted?

I don't feel offended i just have no idea what point you were trying to make yesterday and equally in the dark as to what point you are hoping to make today. Personally I think you are engaging in 'baiting' and trying to get a reaction.

I'm sure she does buy stuff, but its with the money she won. But i'm sure you know this and are just playing dumb.

How would you describe the interest her money has earned or the return on investment still 'won'? Prehaps, not earned?. Your posts are making as little sense as what is being responded to you.

we can't make it so they have no choice but to work. it's just not possible.
    Labor camps? Never heard about them!

Paying people money to keep you out of trouble that's called racketeering, and it never worked well.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Much needed and valued if you are Irish and in need

And if you're a traveler you need a free house with stables and 1/2 acres of land?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/they-want-us-to-drop-our-culture-and-throw-it-aside-traveller-families-wont-move-into-17m-homes-without-stables-and-land-37394115.html

How would you describe the interest her money has earned or the return on investment still 'won'? Prehaps, not earned?. Your posts are making as little sense as what is being responded to you.

Do you know how banks work??

Interest is earned. You put money into a bank, they put it to work and make profit on it, you earn a slice of that profit. The more money you deposit, the more you earn.

Do you know how banks work??

Interest is earned. You put money into a bank, they put it to work and make profit on it, you earn a slice of that profit. The more money you deposit, the more you earn.
    And after you earned a money which you've paid 20% to 50% of taxes and put the money on deposit then you pay extra 37% (DIRT) on the interest earned

Fully understand I also understand that money you possess once given to you, earned, won, inherited is still you money with no unique identifier.

Fully understand I also understand that money you possess once given to you, earned, won, inherited is still you money with no unique identifier.

The bolded are all identifiers of where the money has come from.

The bolded are all identifiers of where the money has come from.

Once in your possession it has lost its identifier as it becomes part of all monies you own. Large rabbit holes being explored, I'm climbing back out you stay if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Samsgirl wrote: »
    Over a 12 month period it is €460.

5*52=260 + 200 'bonus' = 460

Yes but this was Budget 2019, as in the changes for next year. The increase for next year is 251. The "bonus" could just as easily be €4 every week but instead is given as a lump near Christmas. It's 168 this year but it's 203 next year, the increase in that is €35. People on the dole since Jan 1st 2018 will not be €460 better off next year than this. They will be €251 better off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

That's the really big issue with this payment, its only for the long term unemployed as far as I know

It's also for pensioners and people on disability payments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Agreed, carers; the elderly and the disabled should get a double bonus and the purely workshy or professional incubators Margaret Cash should get zip.

Fixed your post

Yes but this was Budget 2019, as in the changes for next year. The increase for next year is 251. The "bonus" could just as easily be €4 every week but instead is given as a lump near Christmas. It's 168 this year but it's 203 next year, the increase in that is €35. People on the dole since Jan 1st 2018 will not be €460 better off next year than this. They will be €251 better off.

The bonus is the full rate, not 168.
    No, they will not be €251 better off, the bonus in minimum 200???

Edit to add - 5 kicks in in March so that's 43 weeks with an extra 5 = 215. Add in the bonus of 203 = 418.

The bonus is the full rate, not 168.
    No, they will not be €251 better off, the bonus in minimum 200???

The bonus this year, as in Christmas 2018 will be 85% of the weekly payment. Next year, Christmas 2019, is what's relevant from yesterday's budget. The budget increased it to 100% for next year. So this year people on social welfare receive an extra 85% one week before Christmas, so 85% of €198 = €168.

Next year, from the start of March 2019, they will get an extra €5 per week in their regular payments. Then in Christmas 2019 they'll get an extra €203 at Christmas. That adds up to €251 in 2019 which is what the Budget is planning for. The total increase is not €460.

The bonus this year, as in Christmas 2018 will be 85% of the weekly payment. Next year, Christmas 2019, is what's relevant from yesterday's budget. The budget increased it to 100% for next year. So this year people on social welfare receive an extra 85% one week before Christmas, so 85% of €198 = €168.

Next year, from the start of March 2019, they will get an extra €5 per week in their regular payments. Then in Christmas 2019 they'll get an extra €203 at Christmas. That adds up to €251 in 2019 which is what the Budget is planning for. The total increase is not €460.

Nope, full bonus paid in December 2018.

Do your maths again.

Nope, full bonus paid in December 2018.

Do your maths again.

Fair enough, €30 this year at Christmas and €251 extra next year. (€5 a week for 43 weeks, €35 increase in next years bonus). Still nowhere near the €460 or whatever was claimed.

Fair enough, €30 this year at Christmas and €251 extra next year. (€5 a week for 43 weeks, €35 increase in next years bonus). Still nowhere near the €460 or whatever was claimed.

It's not claimed. It's fact. And it's not just €200 of a bonus. It's 100% of current benefit received. So could be worth a lot more to some one claiming for a rake if children too

• Registered Users Posts: 37,972 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

All these wooly hats saying how tough it is on the welfare annoy me so much. These same people tell you that a murderer isn't a bad person that it was the way he was brought up.
    Regardless of the situation it's always somebody else's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

eagle eye wrote: »
    All these wooly hats saying how tough it is on the welfare annoy me so much. These same people tell you that a murderer isn't a bad person that it was the way he was brought up.
    Regardless of the situation it's always somebody else's fault.

Merry Christmas to you too..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Graces7 wrote: »
    Merry Christmas to you too..
    You wont see another one if you are attacked by someone out on suspended sentence because he's "a good boy in with the wrong crowd"

Advertisement