Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭The Rabbi

Clear test:)

Relationships will be back to normal soon.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭roosterman71

The environmentalists are putting a fight up against the planned Glanbia cheese plant in Kilkenny now
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/agribusiness-and-food/glanbia-cheese-plant-faces-objections-over-dairy-herd-emissions-1.4121481

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

K.G. wrote: »
    So either two things.one we have a veal season where people eat alot of veal and have little veal next 9 mo ths or we export a glut of veal every.12 momths-not a promising setup for any business.veal is not the answer in my books.

Irish won’t eat veal for ‘ethical’ reasons.

Yes there would be a glut of veal over a couple of months every year, but surely that’s the dairy industry’s fault? Dairy industry can’t have their cake and eat it.
    Thus the dairy industry need to subsidize the veal producers. It’s happened here.

The dairy industry want xbreds, unlimited nitrates, spring calving etc etc, and the Government to pick up the tab...unfortunately only the banks get that kind of preferential treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

straight wrote: »
    Rosé grass fed veal is the nicest of all reportedly

Veal is veal.
    Pork and veal are much the same kind of meat. No aging needed either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Yes there would be a glut of veal over a couple of months every year, but surely that’s the dairy industry’s fault? Dairy industry can’t have their cake and eat it.
    Thus the dairy industry need to subsidize the veal producers. It’s happened here.

The dairy industry want xbreds, unlimited nitrates, spring calving etc etc, and the Government to pick up the tab...unfortunately only the banks get that kind of preferential treatment.
    Maybe the name is the problem? People have no problem eating pork, chicken, even lamb! Maybe we should rebrand it as calf?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Another take on it.30 % bred to sexed semen and the rest bred off beef breeds bred off fr cows.test.requirement moved to 60 days to facilitate bringing calves to a relative easy stage to manage and rear.then moved to farms where you have decent scale to avail of efficiency s and slaughtered at different stages from 20 to 30 months depending on the animal.no pricking around marts or throwing big bales into round feeders or poisoning dear bags of beef nuts.obviously the increase in dairy births is going to have to be balanced against a reduction in sucklers but that s happening already.enough day dreaming back to raving about irish veal

• Registered Users Posts: 11,308 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

A quare lot of posturing going on lately..!!

You have the Greens gone anti dairy.
    You have An Taisce the same with the same people in both.
    You have feed mills in cahoots with the processors looking to make more money and talk of stopping exports.
    You have small dairy farmers who never expanded and bred a dual purpose animal and always sold their calves for a good few coin being asked now to give their calves away for free and put coin with them to help the next fella.

Funny old world. Who'd be the small dairy farmer? :p
    Well there mightnt be for much longer.
    I'd be a nice ole world then.

Poor oul farmer and not a representative in any of the unions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

whelan2 wrote: »
    Happy Christmas

It will be now:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭straight

A quare lot of posturing going on lately..!!

You have the Greens gone anti dairy.
    You have An Taisce the same with the same people in both.
    You have feed mills in cahoots with the processors looking to make more money and talk of stopping exports.
    You have small dairy farmers who never expanded and bred a dual purpose animal and always sold their calves for a good few coin being asked now to give their calves away for free and put coin with them to help the next fella.

Funny old world. Who'd be the small dairy farmer? :p
    Well there mightnt be for much longer.
    I'd be a nice ole world then.

Poor oul farmer and not a representative in any of the unions.

I suppose most of us are small dairy farmers really. Need the money for the calves and the cull cows.

straight wrote: »
    I suppose most of us are small dairy farmers really. Need the money for the calves and the cull cows.

Are jeez we're not all.

There should be a differential made between less than 70 and maybe even less than 60 and the rest and probably look into properly looking after those that they don't disappear.

All the talk of dairy is of these big bad dairies taking over 3 and 4 farms with rotaries with jersey cross and 40foot wide cow roads and limited company ownership and foreign workers working on the farm while the owner's are attending the latest national grassland meeting sponsored by a fertilizer company, making an average income of €60k published by teagasc's profit monitor while posting about calves and culls on social media making beer money as a badge of honour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭alps

Are jeez we're not all.

There should be a differential made between less than 70 and maybe even less than 60 and the rest and probably look into properly looking after those that they don't disappear.

All the talk of dairy is of these big bad dairies taking over 3 and 4 farms with rotaries with jersey cross and 40foot wide cow roads and limited company ownership and foreign workers working on the farm while the owner's are attending the latest national grassland meeting sponsored by a fertilizer company, making an average income of €60k published by teagasc's profit monitor while posting about calves and culls on social media making beer money as a badge of honour.

Have you booked in? Should be a good outing..

alps wrote: »
    Have you booked in? Should be a good outing..

No I'm thinking i probably should now.

I left out.. those coke and hookers..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Are jeez we're not all.

You'll be reminiscing in 40 years time when three 4 week old calves would buy the tonne of meal back in 20 and 15 ;)
    I'd say you're doing all right say!

You'll be reminiscing in 40 years time when three 4 week old calves would buy the tonne of meal back in 20 and 15 ;)
    I'd say you're doing all right say!

In 40 years time I'll be stuck in my office giving out about the drone tractors breaking down during the Jerusalem artichoke harvest.

Ah I've a good enough life. Feckers in this country though if they think you're doing anything any good they try and ride you while sitting on their own arses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭straight

In 40 years time I'll be stuck in my office giving out about the drone tractors breaking down during the Jerusalem artichoke harvest.

Ah I've a good enough life. Feckers in this country though if they think you're doing anything any good they try and ride you while sitting on their own arses.

Yep, I hate that too. Ah sure he has plenty, take, take take. Fact that you'd be working hard for it just doesn't matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Are jeez we're not all.

I remember a lad on here a good few years ago that said he wouldn't get out of bed in the morning for less than 100 cows.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Are jeez we're not all.

Would you want the stress of it all? There's more to life than farming

I remember a lad on here a good few years ago that said he wouldn't get out of bed in the morning for less than 100 cows.:)

Probably has a thousand cows by now, the fecker... and selling bull calves for a Euro.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Would you want the stress of it all? There's more to life than farming

It's my idea of hell.

But there's other people wired differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

It's my idea of hell.

But there's other people wired differently.

I suppose whatever floats your boat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Parlour just turned off this morning till I'd say this time next month.
    Should I leave clusters off the wash line, milk tank open etc to keep air through system to stop any bacteria growing or is there any need?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Should I leave clusters off the wash line, milk tank open etc to keep air through system to stop any bacteria growing or is there any need?

I dried everything yesterday, did a hot descale, left everything hooked up and will do a few hot washes before I supply again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Will do a couple of hot washes on plant and tank. Have service booked for Jan and will change liners also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Clear test today for first time since October last yr.the relief.its been mental the past while dealing with it.hopefully pass the next one too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,855 ✭✭✭mf240

I see the tree huggers have held up planning for Glanbia latest cheese plant. I assume sense will prevail and it will be granted or will it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,262 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think the same guy was on recently objecting to the upgrade of Ireland's only cable car to Dursey Island. He wanted the area to be left, rewild.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Are jeez we're not all.

Lol

Lol

Just bringing the Christmas cheer..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Milk tanks are all vented afaik, you'll be milking the first few tines for calves anyway so it'll be well rinsed and washed again before anything is collected anyway. I've never heard of problems overwinter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,855 ✭✭✭mf240

Don't leave any meal in the feeders or augers

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement