Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

anyone know anything about Sexed Ultra 4M A.I. straws??? cant find any independent reviews about them...... just wondering are they actually any good??

Used 4m from cogent UK last few years on heifers to good success there lab is sexting alot of the Irish bulls . 70% conception on cider sync but over half the seaman used was fresh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Should glanbia extend its fund equip yoke to diet feeders,tractors,spinners,and farm jeeps?
    Probably logical
    Currently it's not actually fully restricted to stuff they sell as it covers solar panels

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭visatorro

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Should glanbia extend its fund equip yoke to diet feeders,tractors,spinners,and farm jeeps?
    Probably logical
    Currently it's not actually fully restricted to stuff they sell as it covers solar panels

Jaysus do you want us all to go broke!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,268 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Glanbia have a solar panel deal/package with Active8.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Anyone do any deals for Fertliser yet ,namely yarra Amidas (urea pmts s)and straight p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭mengele

Interesting question.
    Which field is going to grow more silage to be cut mid may. Both fields get 4.5 bags of cut award and not grazed.

Field 1... reseeded last year but only index 1 in p and k.

Field 2... 30 year old grass but index 4 in p and k.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,268 ✭✭✭✭Water John

PH is critical.
    I would expect old grass to be more mid and late season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,310 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

mengele wrote: »
    Interesting question.
    Which field is going to grow more silage to be cut mid may. Both fields get 4.5 bags of cut award and not grazed.

Field 1... reseeded last year but only index 1 in p and k.

Field 2... 30 year old grass but index 4 in p and k.
    Field 2. Everytime.

Field 1 would probably have been a failed reseed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Field 2. Everytime.

Field 1 would probably have been a failed reseed.

Field 2 because of indexes but it wont have the quality.
    Get field 1 up and it will have quality and yield

• Registered Users Posts: 11,310 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Field 2 because of indexes but it wont have the quality.
    Get field 1 up and it will have quality and yield

Yea but that wasn't the question and comparison they asked about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭older by the day

While on that topic. I must reseed a silage field. Two cuts, and gets lots of slurry and lime. Tempted to go straight Italian?

While on that topic. I must reseed a silage field. Two cuts, and gets lots of slurry and lime. Tempted to go straight Italian?

No dont. It's too hard to get it right. It can go wrong in a few days and you end up with ****e.
    PRG is much more forgiving and doesn't head out as quick and has alot more leaf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

You'll have the two cuts taken by the 1st of July with Italian and you'll have to graze an open sward every two weeks then. The greatest pain of a grass to manage. You wouldn't see much of it around now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

anyone know anything about Sexed Ultra 4M A.I. straws??? cant find any independent reviews about them...... just wondering are they actually any good??

A bit from Progressive Genetics about the results.
    https://twitter.com/progressivegen/status/1213187272130093056?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭alps

The farm pays us expenses for the use of the car. There is no farm car/jeep.

We keep track of every farm related movement even down to someone driving 1 mile to stand while cows are crossing the road before and after milking.

We put up 21, 609 farm related Km's in the 12 months..

It's a lot..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Those of ye with the 40/ 50 teat mobile feeders, how do ye get on with them? Most of replacements should be born in Feb, but with it prob 40 replacements in total is it worth getting something like that as there would be 3/ 4 weeks between youngest and oldest. Reason I'm considering is to improve the transition from milk to grass

• Registered Users Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭alps

Mooooo wrote: »
    Those of ye with the 40/ 50 teat mobile feeders, how do ye get on with them? Most of replacements should be born in Feb, but with it prob 40 replacements in total is it worth getting something like that as there would be 3/ 4 weeks between youngest and oldest. Reason I'm considering is to improve the transition from milk to grass

Only of benefit for convenience if you are carrying the milk a distance. With that spread in the ages of calves on the feeder, I would still be inclined to separate into 2 or 3 groups where they can compete with each other for volume consumed.

We would have had 2 or 3 groups that you could leave the group out to a common area for their portion of the feed...then return and let out the next group...

You would still have individuals within each group that could not cope, but would not become noticable for a few weeks and they would have to be put back to a younger group.

Putting calves out early is being questioned a bit of late. A new(ish) problem of calves dying a number of weeks after early turnout is being pieced together. Calves deteriorate over a number of weeks, but once the deterioration starts it is almost impossible to reverse...

Some vets believe that calves, as selective grazers only eat the tops of the leaves thereby increasing hugely the loading of nitrogen the intake, as it is thought that the tops of the plant are much higher in N...

Older animals dont manifest with the problem as they tent yo eat the whole of the plant.

This advise I've seen is to turn out to stemmier or overgrown pasture, but of course this is not really available in March and April.

However if you do rear calves on the mobile feeder, you will be able to get the calves to follow it anywhere for the rest of the year and it is a gift when moving, dosing etc. They would follow you for a few miles on an open road iits so good...

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

I'll be disinfecting the calf pens in the coming week and o was wondering if anyone used a former attachment on the power washer. I normally just powerwash all pens and equipment then disinfect with kenocox but I have seen some video where a guy attaches a foaming bottle to the nozzle and foams it first,let's it soak in , then powerwashes and isinfects, it supposedly breaks down the dirt quicker and then is easier to powerwash. Are they worth buying?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Mooooo wrote: »

This exact topic is being covered at IGA Dairy conference next Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

This exact topic is being covered at IGA Dairy conference next Wednesday.

Had hoped to go to that but won't be able to unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

When we had the housing i kept them until weaning last year.if you have the room its nearly less hasselenand.easier to watch them than drawing milk to out farms

• Registered Users Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

No calves turned out till a week or 10 days after weaning ,don’t like idea of small young calves outside on wet/cold February March days

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I got a call earlier from one of the dairy farmers that we buy calves from with a heads up that he had a two bull calves born last night.

It looks like calving 2020 has started so best of luck to all ye dairy farmers.

Just went down to check a sheep lambing and said I'd give a quick look at cows while I was up.
    The scraper control box was on fire when I went in.
    Had a fire extinguisher close by so out quickly but I don't think I'll be running scrapers on auto anymore.

Wide awake now.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,360 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Just went down to check a sheep lambing and said I'd give a quick look at cows while I was up.
    Had a fire extinguisher close by so out quickly but I don't think I'll be running scrapers on auto anymore.

Wide awake now.
    Feck

Does anyone have the dimensions of an ibc off hand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Does anyone have the dimensions of an ibc off hand

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=dimensions+of+an+ibc+tank

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Wide awake now.

Are u serious???

• Registered Users Posts: 29,360 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Wide awake now.
    How old are the scrapers? Having a few problems with my new ones atm

• Advertisement

Are u serious???
    Yeah, dead serious.
    whelan2 wrote: »
    How old are the scrapers? Having a few problems with my new ones atm
    The scrapers are in 17 years, a new one added last year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement