Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

straight wrote: »
    The worry I would have with the mats is sour milk/dirt building up underneath?
    A good pair of wellies will keep you comfortable all day too, until you stand on a nail of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

whelan2 wrote: »
    At last

Fair play. Hope there'll be many a safe year in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

At last
    At last
    At last

Well wear, worth the buildup:P

It's good to talk.

I mentioned to the local lad that services around here that I was trying to decide whether to go with gas or stay with electric. He mentioned that he knew where there was a 66gal electric heater only 1 year old going for handier money and was I interested?

So I said I'd go for it, should have enough water for washing now and no limescale should keep it sound for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,220 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Mooooo wrote: »
    Fair play. Hope there'll be many a safe year in it

Put 75 into that side today and it looks like there's room for twice that.

• Advertisement

Anyone know what's going on in Aurivo? The boss is on extended leave for a while now and one of his team who was to leave has remained in place. Just curious, it's an unusual situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Put 75 into that side today and it looks like there's room for twice that.

A nice Christmas present for yourself! Is there much rain coming in at the gap under the eaves where you were wondering about?

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    A nice Christmas present for yourself! Is there much rain coming in at the gap under the eaves where you were wondering about?

Not on that side. I'll ha e to do something on the other side though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

At last

Looks a great job, well done.

how many will it hold?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Its a killer letting cows in to dirty it!

• Advertisement

Panch18 wrote: »
    Looks a great job, well done.

how many will it hold?

110 cubicles in each side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

https://m.independent.ie/business/farming/schemes/new-40-grant-for-calf-rearing-facilities-announced-38799022.html?hhh

Anyone know anything about this? Itll hardly be up and running for this spring

https://m.independent.ie/business/farming/schemes/new-40-grant-for-calf-rearing-facilities-announced-38799022.html?hhh

Price of auto feeders will take a nice hike now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Price of auto feeders will take a nice hike now

We've one ordered, I'd be trying to get the grant on it if possible. Advisor reckons itll be some what like the fooder scheme back in 17/18 where you just apply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Applications open 07/01/20. Going off the timelines of other grants, you'd probably get approval just when the calves are coming off the milk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Anyone using chlorine free detergent with every 4 day collections? Hot washing machine every evening here with chlorine free and same with the bulk tank every collection, tbc went from 17k up to 105k yesterday even though milking machine and bulk tank are spotless. Totally annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Anyone using chlorine free detergent with every 4 day collections? Hot washing machine every evening here with chlorine free and same with the bulk tank every collection, tbc went from 17k up to 105k yesterday even though milking machine and bulk tank are spotless. Totally annoying.

Gone back to using chlorine on bulk tank here and then doing a second wash with chlorine free to remove any residue, tbc was always under 10 here and since going to chlorine free it goes bananas on a regular basis, despite machine been hot washed every milking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Dakota Dan wrote: »

Was the 17k for a 4 day collection as well? I found a teagasc publication a few years ago ( think I linked it here maybe) that shows tbc increases exponentially after 3-4 days even with everything perfect. You're saying a 4 day collection, it was probably another day or 2 before it was tested if the collection was at the weekend.

It's a real bugbear of mine. In the middle of may on 2 day collection with milk being tested within 12 hours most of the time because of the peak, a tbc of 29k will be classed as premium milk. That exact same sample this time of the year could return a tbc north of 300k

Dried off the last of the cow's yday. Plenty milk on the cubicles today and they weren't exactly driving milk perhaps averaging 10 to 12 litres

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Reading the article it appears that it is only open to dairy farmers which IMO is unfortunate and a flawed scheme. The majority that avail of the funding will use it to rear their replacement heifer calves whereas I think the aim of the scheme should be focused on the less economic dairy bull calves. The majority of dairy farmers that I know sell their bull calves either directly for shipping, through the mart or privately.

IMO such a scheme should have aimed to encourage non dairy farmers to rear dairy bull calves.

• Advertisement

Dried off the last of the cow's yday. Plenty milk on the cubicles today and they weren't exactly driving milk perhaps averaging 10 to 12 litres

They should dry up in a week or two, same happens here every year even with a sealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

The Lolly Trolly!
    If they grant aid generators and space heaters, it’ll be the full whistle and bells.

Ye’ll have to vote FG now...!

Base price wrote: »
    Reading the article it appears that it is only open to dairy farmers which IMO is unfortunate and a flawed scheme. The majority that avail of the funding will use it to rear their replacement heifer calves whereas I think the aim of the scheme should be focused on the less economic dairy bull calves. The majority of dairy farmers that I know sell their bull calves either directly for shipping, through the mart or privately.

IMO such a scheme should have aimed to encourage non dairy farmers to rear dairy bull calves.

+1.
    Shocking unfairness.

Was the 17k for a 4 day collection as well? I found a teagasc publication a few years ago ( think I linked it here maybe) that shows tbc increases exponentially after 3-4 days even with everything perfect. You're saying a 4 day collection, it was probably another day or 2 before it was tested if the collection was at the weekend.

It's a real bugbear of mine. In the middle of may on 2 day collection with milk being tested within 12 hours most of the time because of the peak, a tbc of 29k will be classed as premium milk. That exact same sample this time of the year could return a tbc north of 300k

It was last Tuesday, I was using chlorine free on the bulk tank all the summer with no problems until it went to 3 day collections. I was using circodine p on the milking machine cold wash.

Had a cow in the slurry tank this evening. Not in new shed. I'd say she was there a day or 2. Got her out and she walked away. Oh had taken a load or two out of that tank on Monday and left a pallet over the manhole as he was to go back to it...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭Base price

+1.
    Shocking unfairness.
    It's not about unfairness, IMO it's about what happens with the Irish dairy bull calves into the future. We all know that the live shipping of dairy bull calves is probably going to end within the next few years. There needs to be suitable solutions NOW rather than relying on the never, never.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭alps

It should be open to all those who rear calves.

The main point of pressure at the moment is where the calves arrive. Facilitating those that relive that pressure is just as important...

Maybe the feeling was, and this was constantly repeated, that the beef guy wasn't going to buy any calves next spring.

Perhaps reading too much into it. I'd say it'll be open to all. The dairy farmer mention is with regard to creed encouraging farmers to adequate facilities?

Had a cow in the slurry tank this evening. Not in new shed. I'd say she was there a day or 2. Got her out and she walked away. Oh had taken a load or two out of that tank on Monday and left a pallet over the manhole as he was to go back to it...

Replaced the concrete covers here in the most used tanks with steel ones as easier to open and close. Reduces the risk of leaving pipe in it / tank open.

• Advertisement

It's not about unfairness, IMO it's about what happens with the Irish dairy bull calves into the future. We all know that the live shipping of dairy bull calves is probably going to end within the next few years. There needs to be suitable solutions NOW rather than relying on the never, never.

Absolutely.
    Anyone could see these grants coming. But grant aiding dairy farmers without giving a thought to the traditional calf rearers/buyers is beyond shortsighted.
    Gov need to go big on this and ‘create’ a veal industry. Big money needs to be invested NOW to be in some way prepared for when live exports of calves are finished.
    Bit of vote buying...a few quid being thrown about to be seen to address the issue...etc etc.
    I honestly believe that if huge money isn’t spent on this immediately there’s the possibility of a less than desirable outcome.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement