Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Not going to spend another euro here on complying with ever lengthening regulations, I probably need to put another 100k here to tighten the thing up, slurry storage wise etc but in all likelihood, with the stroke of a pen even if I done the above, in a year our twos time, something else will be brought in and your non-compliant again overnight, our allowable stocking rates will be cut....
    Lads cant be expected to mortgage farms in some cases to comply with nitrates and have the rug pulled out from then at the whims of politicians and public servants

How are you getting away with not being compliant?
    You've milked more and haven't put the storage in place ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,109 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

alps wrote: »
    Did anyone push the bord Bia rep on product price, if they actually achieve it ( which they do with butter anyway) and where the money disappears to before it gets back to us..?

We got a politicians answer to that !!!!!as u well know only thing that comes back to us is more work with little if any return ,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭jaymla627

mahoney_j wrote: »
    We got a politicians answer to that !!!!!as u well know only thing that comes back to us is more work with little if any return ,

With Boris back in Control of the bus, the whole britexit boloxogly will be rolled out again re price increases our lack of them

How are you getting away with not being compliant?
    You've milked more and haven't put the storage in place ?

The dark arts, going forward I reckon on the 140 acre grazing block here, 100-110 cows will be the allowable max stocking rate, have adequate storage for that amount of cows and have no intention of spending a small fortune on further storage when the cows needed to pay for it, I likely wont be allowed to carry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

With Boris back in Control of the bus, the whole britexit boloxogly will be rolled out again re price increases our lack of them

They'll be doing well to have Brexit sorted out by the next election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Down with the flu the past week. First time properly getting it I'd say. Will be getting the jab next year def anyway, would be a fair disaster in Feb getting it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Mooooo wrote: »
    Down with the flu the past week. First time properly getting it I'd say. Will be getting the jab next year def anyway, would be a fair disaster in Feb getting it

Theory going around people only gwt the flu when they dry off.herself gave last week telling me i should have got.jab-she has it this week even though she got jab

• Registered Users Posts: 11,088 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

K.G. wrote: »
    Theory going around people only gwt the flu when they dry off.herself gave last week telling me i should have got.jab-she has it this week even though she got jab

My memory of the flu is not being able to get out of the bed, always got the jab since.
    But got a bad cold 2 weeks ago and on the second treatment now for chest infection/ asthma, delighted I still don't have 5 -600 ewes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Got it last week, 16e in my local pharmacy. You can't get it while your still sick though. Absolute no brainer for anyone who has a job like farming that we can't just lie in bed for a week when it hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Yara 33%N is €255 today.
    CAN + S is €212.
    Might be a good time to buy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

K.G. wrote: »

Haven't dried off fully yet. Have 3 off to the factory Wed morning so we'll dry off the lot then as still not in the form for that job. Couldn't face into the cow's the other evening convinced myself that once that day would do, after getting an scc of 500 there... balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭straight

Haven't dried off fully yet. Have 3 off to the factory Wed morning so we'll dry off the lot then as still not in the form for that job. Couldn't face into the cow's the other evening convinced myself that once that day would do, after getting an scc of 500 there... balls.

Tubed mine this morning. Put them on once a day for 2 days to try and cut back the milk. Sleep in in the morning for the first time since january...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,216 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Dried off 35 cows this morning. Handy milking now for a few weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Timmaay wrote: »
    Got it last week, 16e in my local pharmacy. You can't get it while your still sick though. Absolute no brainer for anyone who has a job like farming that we can't just lie in bed for a week when it hits.

I got the jab too but still got a dose
    It's a flu jab not a heavy cold jab unfortunately and a heavy cold especially with a cough can be just as miserable
    And guess where you're most likely to pick up a heavy cold? Yup in the pub at xmas,spreads like wildfire in a steamy room
    Always,Always wash your hands before handling your food btw

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mickey1985

Lads doing parlour here just wondering where could you buy the powder that gives the concrete the orange look?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

mickey1985 wrote: »
    Lads doing parlour here just wondering where could you buy the powder that gives the concrete the orange look?

Construction chemical supplies

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭Grueller

mickey1985 wrote: »

Expensive stuff. Quoted up to €2000 extra to get it in the parlour here. It's not going in. Paint on the walls will brighten it enough.

Grueller wrote: »
    Expensive stuff. Quoted up to €2000 extra to get it in the parlour here. It's not going in. Paint on the walls will brighten it enough.

Have you looked at putting the hardener on instead? Doesn't change the colour but will stop it wearing away

Have you looked at putting the hardener on instead? Doesn't change the colour but will stop it wearing away

Mine is in over 10 years with nothing and it's like new. Concrete doesn't wear away like that. The colour is only for the fancy lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

straight wrote: »
    Mine is in over 10 years with nothing and it's like new. Concrete doesn't wear away like that. The colour is only for the fancy lads.

I'm a fancy lad!!I used at 1/2 mix 3 years ago. Looks good. We done the parlour at home half rate 15 yr ago and still looks good. Your man in chemical supper begs to differ. We didn't do pits as we have the fancy mats as well..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭Grueller

kevthegaff wrote: »
    I'm a fancy lad!!I used at 1/2 mix 3 years ago. Looks good. We done the parlour at home half rate 15 yr ago and still looks good. Your man in chemical supper begs to differ. We didn't do pits as we have the fancy mats as well..

I will put in the mats at some stage, not because I am fancy, but because I find standing on concrete kills my legs and even soaks the heat out of me. It will be a year or two though before they go in.

Grueller wrote: »
    I will put in the mats at some stage, not because I am fancy, but because I find standing on concrete kills my legs and even soaks the heat out of me. It will be a year or two though before they go in.

Put them in as soon as possible, if funds allow will be alot cheaper then hip/knee replacements down the line, father would milk occasionally here and before mats went in he would be crippled after standing on concrete for the two hours with the mats in their is no aches our pains, easyfix have a good selection, was 1200 euro here for a 20 unit parlour with their double foam mat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

https://ruralnewsgroup.co.nz/rural-news/rural-general-news/farmers-count-flood-costs

more rain in new zealand... they have got some hammering this month.... even tho they supposed to b in the middle of summer

Put them in as soon as possible, if funds allow will be alot cheaper then hip/knee replacements down the line, father would milk occasionally here and before mats went in he would be crippled after standing on concrete for the two hours with the mats in their is no aches our pains, easyfix have a good selection, was 1200 euro here for a 20 unit parlour with their double foam mat

The worry I would have with the mats is sour milk/dirt building up underneath?

straight wrote: »

Ours is 15 years old and has worn very badly where the cows let down there milk and teat spray drips down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Consider covering the concrete with plastic so it will cure properly and give a harder wearing finish. Adding colour at factory will cost approx €50 per meter extra. Agree on mats, well worth it.

I see some lads are putting in black mats where the cows are standing.

At last

• Registered Users Posts: 21,171 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Is this the shed finished or Liverpool winning? Great second goal.

• Advertisement

At last

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement