Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,308 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

mf240 wrote: »
    Don't leave any meal in the feeders or augers

And maybe if there is a bit of a kink in milk pipes or wash pipes leave the clusters on the ground to prevent any cracks appearing from inaction and perishing during the winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I think I'll not price this option just yet.
    https://twitter.com/CowPlan/status/1208814631952760832?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Might be cheaper than straw over 2-3 years Scrape of dung and a run of the wash down hose or pressure washer after each calving. Would be interested in the price aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

And maybe if there is a bit of a kink in milk pipes or wash pipes leave the clusters on the ground to prevent any cracks appearing from inaction and perishing during the winter.

Noel to come service her before we start. It's getting all new rubber. 3 years since we put the new machine in and all its had is new liners. Very happy with the Silicone

mf240 wrote: »
    Don't leave any meal in the feeders or augers

Have 200 odd kg in the bin still. Going to use it up training the heifers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭alps

Would it qualify under the new calf facilities grant?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Is the thick grey layer some sort of composite foam?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,855 ✭✭✭mf240

Hard to beat straw for calving.

I think they only really suits systems that calve year round or ones that dont try calve 90% in 6 weeks
    I wouldnt like to be putting 10 cows a day or more at peak through that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Dawg milking cows...what’s the world coming to!

*Feck, I hate that job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

*Feck, I hate that job.

Were ye able to organise not being abandoned like one other year, be tough otherwise makes the time of year something to dread not relaax.

Were ye able to organise not being abandoned like one other year, be tough otherwise makes the time of year something to dread not relaax.

Unfortunately nobody will work on Xmas week, so it’s down to myself, my wife and daughter. It’s not so bad this year as we’ve drastically reduced the amount of beef cattle. Still it’s 12-14hr days...

I feel sorry for my daughter because she hasn’t known Xmas with years, but such is life!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Have had a tbc problem for a good while. Staying around 35. Did in plate cooler?Tank is clean, Descaled etc. Still stayed the same. Emptied the water out of the tank on the air compressor the other day. Down to low 20s now. Thst would have been some milkings before it was emptied and some after. Would never think that would impact tbc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

*Feck, I hate that job.

Think of it as further processing adding value to your crops:P

whelan2 wrote: »
    Have had a tbc problem for a good while. Staying around 35. Did in plate cooler?Tank is clean, Descaled etc. Still stayed the same. Emptied the water out of the tank on the air compressor the other day. Down to low 20s now. Thst would have been some milkings before it was emptied and some after. Would never think that would impact tbc

Yeah they're fairly rotten tbh. We have a 3 stage filter on ours that filters out the dirty moisture

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

How does the air compressor affect the milk line? Sure wouldn't that just be connected to feeders and gates etc

How does the air compressor affect the milk line? Sure wouldn't that just be connected to feeders and gates etc

We have the air plurge system for blowing out the milk line at the end of milking. Milking machine man said to try it. It never crossed my mind that it would cause the high tbc. Lad from dairies has been out too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭visatorro

We have the air plurge system for blowing out the milk line at the end of milking. Milking machine man said to try it. It never crossed my mind that it would cause the high tbc. Lad from dairies has been out too

Mine tipped up around the 20s aswell. Can't find reason for it yet either.

visatorro wrote: »
    Mine tipped up around the 20s aswell. Can't find reason for it yet either.

Very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭visatorro

Very annoying.

What's the limit for winter milk?

• Advertisement

visatorro wrote: »
    What's the limit for winter milk?

Air purge here also and have to hold 6-7 milkings in tank but very rare to have tbc issues. TBC always between 6-8k.

TBC issues usually stem from the tank.

Crazy in France right now.
    I traveled by car to and from Eindhoven last weekend and the traffic in France was much much heavier than in the Low Countries which is usually the opposite way around.

The golden parachute public pension brigade are losing their crap about their pensions being reduced to parity with private sector pensions. In Ireland it’s the
    teachers and cops (etc) that get the golden pensions, in France it’s the railroad workers...thus only 12-15% of trains are running. Bumper to bumper trafic for the Xmas hols.
    Here’s hoping that Macron holds his ground on this one...it’ll make taxpaying that bit easier knowing that my hard earned euros aren’t going to pay the pensions of a shower that never did a proper days work in their lives.
    Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭dmakc

What's the best way to improve a cow's BCS or bring heifers on a bit from now til calving? People say meal will only make the calf bigger which kind of defeats the purpose of preparing the cow? Who gets the greater benefit...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭cute geoge

It does no harm to feed a kilo or so of meal if you are worried that the meal only will make the calf bigger then oats could be fed .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Had an arrival this morning. Bull that wasn't able for work in season managed to bull a cow last March. Little aa heifer. Cow won't be fit for tank for 30 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

dmakc wrote: »
    What's the best way to improve a cow's BCS or bring heifers on a bit from now til calving? People say meal will only make the calf bigger which kind of defeats the purpose of preparing the cow? Who gets the greater benefit...

Id be alot more worried about the cow calving down with a low bcs than the risk of the calf getting too big. Feed her on.

2Kg of oats and a bit of soya

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Crazy in France right now.
    I traveled by car to and from Eindhoven last weekend and the traffic in France was much much heavier than in the Low Countries which is usually the opposite way around.

The golden parachute public pension brigade are losing their crap about their pensions being reduced to parity with private sector pensions. In Ireland it’s the
    teachers and cops (etc) that get the golden pensions, in France it’s the railroad workers...thus only 12-15% of trains are running. Bumper to bumper trafic for the Xmas hols.
    Here’s hoping that Macron holds his ground on this one...it’ll make taxpaying that bit easier knowing that my hard earned euros aren’t going to pay the pensions of a shower that never did a proper days work in their lives.
    Rant over.
    Yeah was on the phone yesterday to someone living in paris,total wipeout people walking 4 or 5 hpurs to get to and from work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Mooooo wrote: »
    Had an arrival this morning. Bull that wasn't able for work in season managed to bull a cow last March. Little aa heifer. Cow won't be fit for tank for 30 days.

Fcuk it number 2 landed now. Both alive and healthy anyway

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement