Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options
1328329330331332334»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

trixi2011 wrote: »
    Very few incalf heifers on the market yet have herd of a sizable group being offered @ 1400 which seems very steap so early in the year

Lads don't put incalf heifers on the market yet because they usually haven't been scanned. Every year tends to be the same, the early sold incalf heifers tend to be higher priced because they tend to be from very good herds and the farmer knows he'll have no problem selling them for good money and no point keeping them for another 6months. The market can soften very quickly if the weather breaks during the autumn and lads suddenly realise they really got to offload soon because they don't have the grass, sheds or silage for them ha. I've bought in the last few years here, and I always wait until Jan, you'll get plenty of sellers then who have left it late and are starting to panic then because calving season is fast coming. Once heifers start calving down in Feb they will start commanding a premium, and in particular if its an early spring the price will then rise fast. Last few years I've paid between 1200 and 1400, in Jan or Feb. How much does it cost to keep a heifer from now until next Jan? Surely will be afew 100?, I'm not sure if I'll bother buying in this winter but if I do I'll happily wait until Jan again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭cosatron

dispersal sales are good places to get heifers. Taaffe auctions is a good website to keep an eye on. good sale on up the north shortly some good stock for sale. Was at a sale last year and we left before the bulling heifer's came in as the prices were going mad and we thought the heifer's would be outrageous but we heard on the grapevine that they weren't sold and we approached the seller the following week and went down to look at them and picked out 5 for €900 each, we let them off with the bull and they all calved down along with our own heifers in 3 weeks, no problem training to cubicles and they are all milking well and should make good brood cows, one lady is a bit extreme so she needs a bit of tlc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Base price wrote: »
    I got estrumate from the Vet today and tomorrow is day 11. I remember having a problem with a pbr Blonde years ago and giving her two shots 11 days apart. From memory you get them inseminated 72 hrs later or have I got it wrong. She is showing no signs of bulling so I will inject her tomorrow.

Here’s the timings

519762.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note: I'd better close this up before the hamsters have a fit at 10k posts. I'll fire up the new link in a second.

New thread below.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=114019109#post114019109

Buford T. Justice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement