Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you look down on people with tattoos?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

Every few months this same stupid thread comes up and it's the same waffling bull**** that's regurgitated. People who love tatts vs people who hate them and one side trying to shout down the other. It's ridiculous. I think these bloody threads should be banned full stop because it's painful to read them. If you don't like tattoos put up and shut up. It's not your body and it's none of your business. If you like tattoos, good for you!! Get more! Do you what like!! But don't engage with dick heads that don't have a bloody clue what their on about.

It doesn't matter what someone else does. Life is short enough without having to be bothered by what someone else has on their body. **** off and worry about your own lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

Mozzeltoff wrote: »
    Every few months this same stupid thread comes up and it's the same waffling bull**** that's regurgitated. People who love tatts vs people who hate them and one side trying to shout down the other. It's ridiculous. I think these bloody threads should be banned full stop because it's painful to read them. If you don't like tattoos put up and shut up. It's not your body and it's none of your business. If you like tattoos, good for you!! Get more! Do you what like!! But don't engage with dick heads that don't have a bloody clue what their on about.

It doesn't matter what someone else does. Life is short enough without having to be bothered by what someone else has on their body. **** off and worry about your own lot.

What a good way to move this thread onto the next divisive, tattoo linked, item of body art that some/many people look down upon: body piercings!

Generally speaking, I can't stand them. However, for reasons that I'd prefer not to go in to in this forum, I'm prepared to make an exception for tongue studs. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Tattoos are for gurriers and low life's. That's the stereotype and unfortunately it's True. People who take drugs and aren't in white collar professions have Tattoos.

Tattoos and the professional work environment don't go.

They look fine if you work as a mechanic, but not as a lawyer.

Nice to know I need to quit my white collar professional job because I happen to have tattoos. Also apparently now I need to start taking drugs. But how will I fund that without my high-flying professional career that I worked so hard for. Damn I feel like an idiot for thinking it was getting my leaving cert, my degree, professional exams and working damn hard that got me to where I am. Maybe I had to work so hard because I had tattoos! Or cause that's what everyone had to do.

There is literally not an emoji strong enough to indicate the level of eye-rolling I'm doing at your frankly ridiculous statement.
    It is pretty cool, thank you. It is also physical, dirty work, with long hours, in a service industry, that is not half as well paid as many people imagine.

But goddamn it's cool :)

Mucho respect! I loved watching the shows like LA Ink & Miami Ink to see the level of work that was put into tattoos for people. I find it fascinating as you have to be both artist and service which isn't easy. Actually those shows changed my dad's opinion of tattoos. My dad was born in the 30's so had quite an old school idea of tattoos so didn't really like them. He watched those shows quite a bit when he was in his 70's and, being an artist himself, saw and appreciated the level of work that went into tattoos. While he didn't love them, he definitely had a diff opinion.

Turnipman wrote: »
    What a good way to move this thread onto the next divisive, tattoo linked, item of body art that some/many people look down upon: body piercings!

Generally speaking, I can't stand them. However, for reasons that I'd prefer not to go in to in this forum, I'm prepared to make an exception for tongue studs. ;)

I wouldn't get piercings for the simple fact that getting my ears pierced once was enough of an ordeal for me! I'm not a big fan of those piercings where the ear is stretched but sure each to their own and if that's what you want to do, go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Only the ones shorter than me .....................

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Advertisement

I wouldn't get piercings for the simple fact that getting my ears pierced once was enough of an ordeal for me! I'm not a big fan of those piercings where the ear is stretched but sure each to their own and if that's what you want to do, go for it.

So where do you stand on pierced nipples?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

OUCH !!!

Jesus, I wouldn't stand on them !!!!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

For myself or on someone else? For myself - not a hope as per my earlier message! The number of problems I had with ears puts me off getting even a 2nd piercing in my ear let alone anywhere else lol.

On someone else - yeah go for it if you want. I wouldn't have a strong opinion either way. Although sometimes I do wonder if you accidentally caught them on something, how much would it hurt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

That Netflix "explained" series has a new episode on tattoos, looking at three different styles and their histories and examining the recent boom.

Apparently one in three Americans now has a tattoo, up from one in five a few years ago. Those of you who hate them may have to calm down and get the fcuk over it for the sake of your blood pressure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭aroundthehouse

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Yeah someone's appearance doesn't affect others in any way.

Why everyone wears t-shirts to interviews I suppose.

Ridiculous if you think clothing, accessories, appearance in general has no effect on people's emotions/what judgements they make.

The very reason for clothing/accessorising/body modification is social/emotional.

Except I never said that, not even remotely. I was just making the point that one can't claim that everyone who says tattoo's affect how the view people is lying. Some people just don't care, some probably don't even notice frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

In Japan you're not allowed into a bath house or swimming pool if you have tattoos. Fun fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

I just got another tattoo today......I felt at least 50% less likely to become a CEO directly after

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

khaldrogo wrote: »
    I just got another tattoo today......I felt at least 50% less likely to become a CEO directly after

Some of your intelligence probably drained away and your IQ tumbled down a few notches too.

Expressed mathematically, that would be [0% * (50%)] the answer to which is equal to 0%!

It must be reassuring to know that even if you have an infinite numbers of tattoos applied your chances of making CEO will remain completely unaltered!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

It is pretty cool, thank you. It is also physical, dirty work, with long hours, in a service industry, that is not half as well paid as many people imagine.

But goddamn it's cool :)

I would actually LOVE to read an AMA on that - you should defo put yourself forward for one, if you'd be willing, I'm sure you'd get tonnes of questions. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

brooke 2 wrote:
    'Our minds are like parachutes - they work best when they are open!'

I'm afraid Spanish eyes is plummetting towards the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Had a mermaid and anchor done when I was in the air force,never held me back promotions wise

Are you sure you weren't in the Navy ?
    _Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Don't have any myself and not a fan.

Each to their own, but I don't see the appeal of drawing on yourself in permanent ink like so many others to show how individual you are.

I wouldn't look down on someone...

Agree.
    It is not like growing and styling (loose definition here I know) a mullet and then realising a few weeks later you are not a German footballer or in a successful rock band.
    Tatoos are as good as permanent and painful and costly to remove AFAIK.

I think tattoos are personal and couldn't care what you have, but when someone has plastered their hands and face I find it can be offputting.

Also what might look good on the toned torso of Beckham or Angeline Jolie doesn't always work on mere mortals.
    A friend of mine is a Catholic priest. He has two. Neither of them are anything to do with religion.

I would be careful admitting that around here. :eek:
    troyzer wrote: »
    In Japan you're not allowed into a bath house or swimming pool if you have tattoos. Fun fact.

Might have something to do with the Yakuza.

Also would be frowned upon if someone noticed you were missing fingers and finger tips particularly of the left hand.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Turnipman wrote:
    It must be reassuring to know that even if you have an infinite numbers of tattoos applied your chances of making CEO will remain completely unaltered!

Well that depends.....I may decide to open a lemonade stall outside my house and make myself CEO, CFO + COO........So there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

Apparently one in three Americans now has a tattoo, up from one in five a few years ago. Those of you who hate them may have to calm down and get the fcuk over it for the sake of your blood pressure.

It just goes to show how sheep-like people become in following fads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

mickrock wrote: »
    It just goes to show how sheep-like people become in following fads.

Then it has to be one of the oldest fads in the history of mankind, seeing as the history of Tattoos goes back thousands of years. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I wouldn't dream of a tatoo two years ago.
    Now I've 5

They're all personal and I designed my sleeve.

The guy in the tatoo parlour told me, you'll get giys going in for a hit of ink....and its only for the weekend.....longest weekend of their life lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

There goes your chances of becoming a newsreader also!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Some of your intelligence probably drained away and your IQ tumbled down a few notches too.

No. That happened in the moments just before deciding to get the tattoo.

This thread is infuriating to read. It's like I've been transported back to the 1950's. I can almost hear the chorus of tut tutting going on around the country as the various gob****es on here are feverishly trying to untwist their oversized knickers, while trying not to spill their bedtime Complan.

Nobody is going to sneak in and tattoo you!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,105 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

This thread is infuriating to read. It's like I've been transported back to the 1950's. I can almost hear the chorus of tut tutting going on around the country as the various gob****es on here are feverishly trying to untwist their oversized knickers, while trying not to spill their bedtime Complan.

As a matter of interest what makes you think its an older age group that object to tattoos ? I am no spring chicken and fall into your( insulting ) category and have defended tattoo wearers all throughout the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

There goes your chances of becoming a newsreader also!

Depends on where the tatts are

@iamwhoiam. Never mentioned anyone's age. It's not the vintage of the people I'm referring to at all. It's the old fashioned attitudes. You can swap Complan for small batch Gin if ya want! Certainly no offence meant to older people.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭gingergirl

I'd say the tattoo removal business will be big in the future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭kubjones

I think tattoos have the potential to be absolutely gorgeous.

It depends on the artist and the canvas, obviously, but I enjoy looking at them, asking their meaning/story if they're tactful.

I'm not talking about a big pitbull on one's chest, but something related to mythology or history, or just an artistic piece, or even something satirical, so long as its well done, I love them.

Especially on women.

I'll always find a person with a tattoo has a lot more to talk about and generally much better craic to have a pint with.

The stigma against them generally comes from the boomers shaking their walking shticks at cultural progression. And that's absolutely fine, times change, as do societies.

They're definitely a direct representation of the person that dons them though, people that get their own names tattoo'd on themselves are the biggest W(*&ers alive.

Advertisement