Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you look down on people with tattoos?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

JayZeus wrote: »
    but not drawing pictures on peoples bodies. That is NOT a profession.

complete and utter sh1te, there are some fantastic artists who became tattooers and then chose to make this form of Art a profession

or in your mind is all Art just drawing pictures?

but to answer the OP

I have no issue with people choose to do with their bodies, but personally do not like neck / face / hand tats

A profession is a paid occupation. Someone who "draws pictures on people's bodies" and gets paid for it is a tattoo artist by profession.

No, that’s just a job. Not every job is a profession, certainly not Tattooing people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

.... Still curious to hear an answer to my question if people also dislike tattoo artists for what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

LirW wrote: »
    .... Still curious to hear an answer to my question if people also dislike tattoo artists for what they do.

Oh but it's "just a job"!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

No, that’s just a job. Not every job is a profession, certainly not Tattooing people.

profession

noun US ​ /prəˈfeʃ·ən/

[ C/U ] any type of work, esp. one that needs a high level of education or a particular skill

A competent tattooer does fit the skill bracket

or do you not agree that a tattoo artist is not highly skilled?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Oh but it's "just a job"!!

Considering what a professional tattoo artist can earn, its a damn good career choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

But, but they're all inked themselves!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,457 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Can’t stand tattoos. A properly stupid thing to do to yourself. My wife has a very small tattoo of a little bird on her upper back (really very small, but I absolutely hate it and when I spot it I immediately think she’s a muppet for ever getting it done) and wanted to get her hair cut to shoulder length. I told her to do whatever she wants, no worries at all, but she knows she’ll be sleeping on the couch if she cuts her hair short before getting that proxy tattoo removed. No discussion to be had as far as I’m concerned. She’ll pay for the removal herself too. Or she’ll keep her hair down and cover up the evidence of a stupid decision to get graffiti on her lovely skin. I’m mad about her, but that tattoo (and 99.999% of the crappy ones people get and display like idiots) absolutely makes me look down my nose at the tattood fool in front of me. Stupid people.

Because I (and she, as it so happens) think it’s reasonable to expect somebody will maintain where practical the physical attributes that attracted and continue to attract us to each other, natural aging and accidents and the like aside? Cop on to yourself.

If she had 7 toes on her left foot, I’d insist she wear socks and not wear sandals, as I’d find the deformity disgusting to look at. If I had an extra pair of nipples or a vagina instead of a naval, it’d be pretty reasonable for her to insist I wore a shirt, even on the beach. If I later decided to just do it anyway, I’d be doing it knowing that I have every right to do so but It wouldn’t be right and consequences of that bad decision could reasonably follow.

All we’re talking about here is her deliberate defacement of her lovely self being something I find repulsive, and I want her to do as I asked and she agreed. And she does, in all fairness to her.

It’s not controlling to expect an agreement will be kept and I’m certainly not some sort of wifebeater. That’s a bit of a pathetic angle for someone (especially a Mod) to take, AH or not. Go take your smarmy outrage someplace else.

You really sound like a charming, tolerant and fair person.

Your wife must be delighted to be with you.

You do not own her and she can do with her body what she likes in my opinion.

Your views on deformities are also archaic and disgusting. Wanting people to cover up because you'd find it disgusting. Unbelievable.

murpho999 wrote: »
    You really sound like a charming, tolerant and fair person.

Your wife must be delighted to be with you.

You do not own her and she can do with her body what she likes in my opinion.

Your views on deformities are also archaic and disgusting. Wanting people to cover up because you'd find it disgusting. Unbelievable.

Your opinion carries absolutely no weight in my home.

You have also taken my comments on deformities entirely out of context. Read it again, or don’t. Whatever suits you is fine really and is of no concern to me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Considering what a professional tattoo artist can earn, its a damn good career choice.

They also do amazing work with scarring or covering birth marks .
    I would love to spend time with a nice kind tattoo artist covered from head to toe in tattoos . As opposed to a narrow minded control freak who hates anything less than perfection .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Star Bingo wrote: »
    Reaching critical mass isn’t it. Why would you conform to that it’s more of a statement to not have some now look at the footballers it’s even creeping up their necks like ivy at this stage. All set to consume their face...

like that chump that caught my attention recently post malone his face looks fantastic... wise move sir, bravo. Trends are for kids but there’s people visiting these boutiques in the midst of midlife crises too. It might be a reflection of how trashy libertarian were becoming in the west. Elsewhere it’s still only only actual prostitutes and gangsters that have them

King Edward VII famously had several tattoos, as did his sons the Duke of Clarence and the Duke of York (later King George V). This made tattoos very popular in England at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

JayZeus wrote:
    Wrong. There is no such thing as the Tattooing profession. Engineer, Doctor, Lawyer for example, but not drawing pictures on peoples bodies. That is NOT a profession.

How about lurking under bridges, is that a profession?

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Might be getting to the bottom of your issues here.

Exactly! Was thinking the very same thing.

How about lurking under bridges, is that a profession?

No, you should definitely not give up your day job.

I’m done here anyway I think. It’s pretty clear to me that plenty of folks here who have or want to have tattoos are just as closed minded as they accuse me of being. We're only going to go around in circles now, with some folks really getting personal and trying to portray me as some kind of nasty piece of work. I’m not.

I can only guess that those people are just upset because they don’t like hearing how their crappy tattoos aren’t nearly as universally appreciated as their social circle, pop culture and the local drop out told them it would be. You know, the guy who had the best case ability (in some cases) to draw a rose, a fat baby or a girl who looks like she has a broken nose and cold dead eyes on the chicken wing upper arm. Go have a look on Google. Artists? Jesus.

Go read the first page again and note the poster who has two tats, regrets getting them, won’t wear a t-shirt now because he/she hates them so much, and look forward to making that realisation yourself some day. Or realising that someone very special to you actually hates your tats and always has.

JayZeus wrote:
    No, you should definitely not give up your day job.

My day job is tattooing. Thanks for the support!

My own sister has a tattoo. So I'm not saying that tattoos don't end up creeping into walks of life where they shouldn't be.

In my sister's case, she sort of rebelled against my mother's snobbery. So that explains it. I remember, at her wedding the tattoos on the back of her neck for everyone to see! I felt so embarrassed for her.

And you might be quite surprised at the number of people who might have been admiring them. You're doing quite a bit of projecting there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭Harleen Quinzel

You don’t like tattoos? Don’t get any.

But don’t try to control other people, or make them feel ashamed or less worthy as a person just because they do like tattoos.

Careful, they'll knife ya!

Troll!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

My day job is tattooing. Thanks for the support!

Really?

somefeen wrote:
    Really?

Is it so unthinkable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Would you ever go away out of that. My view might shock you but that’s hardly my intention. I care little for your opinion and not at all for your reaction.

As for my wife, what would you suggest I do to distort my correct use of language so it meets your ridiculous expectations?

Tattoos are horrible. If my spouse/wife/woman/ball-and-chain got another, knowing my disdain for them, you’re damned right she’d be sleeping on the couch.

Same goes for cutting her hair as short as a man. If I grew my hair long or deliberately made a significant change to my appearance in a way she has told me (and she did so when I was getting fat), I’d have little to stand on by way of argument.

You’re supposed to find your partner physically attractive. Short hair, bright hair dye, face/body piercings and tattoos are ugly to my eyes. She knows that, so if she makes that decision she’ll live with the consequences, including being told to **** right off and sleep on the couch.

Would it be a glow in the dark tattoo or do ye go to sleep with the light on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Is it so unthinkable?

No I just think its cool

somefeen wrote:
    No I just think its cool

It is pretty cool, thank you. It is also physical, dirty work, with long hours, in a service industry, that is not half as well paid as many people imagine.

But goddamn it's cool :)

Witchie wrote: »
    I don't have any but have considered getting one to cover a scar on my ankle from breaking it years ago. Have decided not to bother though. 
    Was really disappointed when my son got one on his shoulder blade last year. It's a black sheep. I couldn't resist telling him that my "cb handle" as a kid was black sheep and that he will always have his mother on his back. I don't hate it but I don't like it either. 
    Made friends with an Australian guy in Bali who is covered in them. He has face ones including some of guns etc. He looks like one scary mofo but is one of the sweetest guys I have ever met. He also has over 25k followers on Instagram coz of his look! I just don't get it. 

So am a bit on the fence. I don't like over the top ones but a small one hidden or of significance (one of my mates lost a child and has her name and a small heart on her wrist and my crazy aunt in New Jersey has a shamrock on her foot as do her 2 daughters and 2 of her nieces, they all went and got them done to celebrate her 80th birthday!) then they can be ok. 

I don't look down on people but I just don't understand the gra for them.

A tattoo artist I know was telling me once of this eighty year old woman from the US who came into the parlour for her first tattoo. When she was asked why she wanted to get one at this late stage of her life, she replied that all the young ones with her had tattoos. The 'young ones' were in their seventies!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,457 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Your opinion carries absolutely no weight in my home.

You have also taken my comments on deformities entirely out of context. Read it again, or don’t. Whatever suits you is fine really and is of no concern to me anyway.

You said
    If she had 7 toes on her left foot, I’d insist she wear socks and not wear sandals

That is not taken out of context and comes across as ignorant,intolerant, domineering and controlling imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

brooke 2 wrote: »
    A tattoo artist I know was telling me once of this eighty year old woman from the US who came into the parlour for her first tattoo. When she was asked why she wanted to get one at this late stage of her life, she replied that all the young ones with her had tattoos. The 'young ones' were in their seventies!! :D

I suppose you'e be pre-wrinkled so tattoo would look fresh :D

turbbo wrote:
    I suppose you'e be pre-wrinkled so tattoo would look fresh

Older people are a joy to tattoo. They actually listen to what you say to them, and they are unsullied by Pinterest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Older people are a joy to tattoo. They actually listen to what you say to them, and they are unsullied by Pinterest.

Is what you're saying worth listening to?
    https://www.pinterest.ie/emmafinnigan/cool-tattoos/

turbbo wrote:
    Is what you're saying worth listening to?

When I am telling you what is actually tattooable, and how to look after it, definitely.

• Advertisement

Tatoos are ridiculous. They are permanent.

People do judge people with tattoos.

If you think they don't, think again.

Anyway, don't get too worried folks, you know the old saying, when you're explaining, you're losing.

There's another saying:

'Our minds are like parachutes - they work best when they are open!' :D

Advertisement