Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you look down on people with tattoos?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭flazio

As a 5'5 bloke there aren't many people I can "look down on"
    It all depends on the artistic nature of the tattoos for me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

L1011 wrote: »
    Don't like them, wouldn't get one but wouldn't judge someone for one except some of the really stupid ones (face, side of neck etc).

They're clearly a fashion thing at the moment, seriously considering investing in a tattoo removal firm soon enough. Beards and tattoos will look incredibly dated in five years time.

I'd get a risk assessment done before investing, I've heard that tattoos will go out of fashion in the next 5 years for near on 30 years now.

attended one yesterday as it happens

Having a coffee with your mum doesn't count.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

It depends of course on the type of tattoo you get.

A dirty tramp stamp and belly tops? Yeah **** off.

Something tasteful and meaningful to you? Fine, go for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭aroundthehouse

Graces7 wrote: »
    I just googled that and the connection is very strongly acknowledged. and imagine having the name of someone you once loved then fell out with branded on you...

i knowi wouldnt be seen dead wearing the clothes i wore when i was 18, imagine being stuck with some dumb tattoo for life....

• Advertisement

All those Maori's are mentally ill. I don't think I'm generalising when I say every last one of them is.

thats very different, that is part of their heritage and culture going back centuries, they dont rattle up to the local tattoo parlour and get "grandad forever" written all over themselves

Shenshen wrote: »
    Having a coffee with your mum doesn't count.

had more than coffee with your mum if you must know, and yep shes got a tramp stamp :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

thats very different, that is part of their heritage and culture going back centuries, they dont rattle up to the local tattoo parlour and get "grandad forever" written all over themselves

Hilarious. I kind of want to get that tattoo now.

Maori's certainly wouldn't get "granddad forever", they would get something that honours their heritage/ancestors. Like a classy "granddad forever", if you will.

Maybe, like the OP, your opinion is enlightened by your view looking down on those who choose to get a tattoo.

Hilarious. I kind of want to get that tattoo now.

Maori's certainly wouldn't get "granddad forever", they would get something that honours their heritage/ancestors. Like a classy "granddad forever", if you will.

Maybe, like the OP, your opinion is enlightened by your view looking down on those who choose to get a tattoo.

if people want to get tattoos thats their own business and i have every right to hate the sight of them the same way they have a right to get them and i cant help it if my estimation of a person goes down when i see they have tattoos
    the bigger issue is the mental health of someone who covers themselves in them

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd get a risk assessment done before investing, I've heard that tattoos will go out of fashion in the next 5 years for near on 30 years now.

They've only been fashionable to the current extent for about 5 years. Not 30.

• Advertisement

True. And I have every right to question the mental health of someone who believes some ink on your skin is directly linked to mental health problems. It would be funny if you weren't serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

i'd say if her superiors knew she had tattoos they would look down on her
    The company judge her on her skills and qualifications. They're just happy to have been able to get her. When you're at that level you have a lot of options, you'd know that though I suppose.

True. And I have every right to question the mental health of someone who believes some ink on your skin is directly linked to mental health problems. It would be funny if you weren't serious.

any form of self harm has to be looked at seriously from a mental health standpoint, i'm glad you find mental health issues so funny

The company judge her on her skills and qualifications. They're just happy to have been able to get her. When you're at that level you have a lot of options, you'd know that though I suppose.

indeed and i know that if it came down to 2 individuals with the same qualifications etc, the person without the tattoos would get the position

any form of self harm has to be looked at seriously from a mental health standpoint, i'm glad you find mental health issues so funny

Wow. Straw man, how surprising.

Wow. Straw man, how surprising.

its an important issue and shouldnt be sneered at

L1011 wrote: »
    They've only been fashionable to the current extent for about 5 years. Not 30.

I started seeing people with tattoos, particularly tribal and the famous tramp stamps, from the late 1980s onwards.

And so far, I've not noticed a decline in their popularity.

had more than coffee with your mum if you must know, and yep shes got a tramp stamp :(

Interesting, considering she doesn't like coffee.

indeed and i know that if it came down to 2 individuals with the same qualifications etc, the person without the tattoos would get the position

Given the vast numbers of employed people with tattoos, that statement does make me wonder what's wrong with non-tattooed people that tattooed people out-qualify them so frequently?

its an important issue and shouldnt be sneered at

Oh I'm well aware. Its you I'm sneering at due to your lack of intelligent argument and misrepresentation of what I actually said.

• Advertisement

Given the vast numbers of employed people with tattoos, that statement does make me wonder what's wrong with non-tattooed people that tattooed people out-qualify them so frequently?

Because they all have mental health issues obviously! :) Didn't you know?

tattoos will forever be associated with jailbirds and sailors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Well that's just plainly untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Idk man, things have changed a bit from the days of only utter scum and sailors having tats. Personally I don't like them (would find it a major turn off on a woman) but I don't see how people with them are mentally ill.

I mean come on now.

Oh I'm well aware. Its you I'm sneering at due to your lack of intelligent argument and misrepresentation of what I actually said.

you just seem to come on here and sneer at people with your unintelligent ignorance and attempt to divert from the real issue

• Registered Users Posts: 16,105 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

you just seem to come on here and sneer at people with your unintelligent ignorance and attempt to divert from the real issue

Oh the irony !

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Don’t be so stupid.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

the bigger issue is the mental health of someone who covers themselves in them

No mental health issues here!!!!
    Now yourself on the other hand could be debatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭pawdee

The best tattoo I ever saw was one of a fox hunting scene that covered a fella's entire back.....red jacketed huntsmen, horses, beagles the lot, and the fox about to disappear down the crack of his arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

attended one yesterday as it happens

What, you brought in the tea and biscuits?

Advertisement