Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you look down on people with tattoos?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jacksn

out of the ordinary and minimal tats can look good i think

its the tribals or roses.. ones with no imagination like they were picked out of a book look terrible or boring.

names also "Caleb" , "Darren" in the big dirty manuscript font

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭CosmicJay

Sometimes.

But if someone's wearing a snapback, ooooooooh boy that ivory tower is gonna be big.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Resverathrole

jbt123 wrote: »
    Donates blood regularly I believe.
    That's probably not the reason though.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

I read a study about people with tattoos being more likely to engage in risk taking. And that risk takers generally will have better genes as natural selection would've weeded out the inept risk takers through natural selection or the like.

So on one hand, I can see people wearing them as a badge of honour for whatever sh*t they've gone through in life.

On the other hand, excessive tats generally look aggressive and definitely not a good look for most women.
    It's usually a sign they've more emotional baggage than a Dublin airport luggage collection conveyor belt.

In general, I label people with conspicuous tattoos as trying too hard to be an individual because they can't fit into mainstream society.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

I can take them or leave them, like piercings or purple hair.
    I did meet a chap recently with his shaved head and face covered in snake tattoos, curling around his eyes. I did find this momentarily disturbing until we got into a chat about nothing in particular. They just then became part of him. Regular fellow of a very pleasent disposition.
    Reinforces my resolve to judge not.

• Advertisement

David Bowie has no tattoos

This is a desperately amateur/ condescending answer, but anytime I see someone with face, neck or head tattoos, I start to wonder what kind of personality disorders and/ or mental struggles they have.

You don't need to try and convince me that these people could well be perfectly healthy (it's true), or that that makes me sound like an asshole (also true), it's just an instant reaction I have.

Would I treat them any differently to anyone else? Definitely not. As for tattoos generally, surely a large proportion of the population already has at least one tattoo? They're commonplace, there's nothing wrong with them, unless it's your partner's tattoo and she has her ex's name writ large across the small of her back, or (worse) a dolphin. Cos that's just lazy.

or (worse) a dolphin. Cos that's just lazy.
    David Bowie has a song that mentions dolphins!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I doubt he still has them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

kubjones wrote: »

I'll always find a person with a tattoo has a lot more to talk about and generally much better craic to have a pint with.

Ah yeah. Can't beat the full time mad bastard for the whopper bants.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I drew up a simple Judo black belt design which I wanted to have done, showed it to a mate and the cock sucker went and got it first.

He showed me when he got it and thanked me for the idea, like I'd be fvcking delighted or something.

He's one of my best mates, but still an asshole thing to do.

There's a few tattoo's which with hindsight I shouldn't have had done, but I've a lot of life experiences and those tattoo's reflect those periods of my life so they're staying (ugly as they are).

I do think a lot of neck tattoo's look scummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Princess Stephanie does :)

eQRsimK.jpg

gctest50 wrote: »
    Princess Stephanie does :)

eQRsimK.jpg
    Who's Princess Stephanie?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,693 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Don't mind small tattoos (even contemplated getting one myself but, at my age, that ship has sailed). Those sleeve tattoos though; I don't care how well done the artwork is, they look dreadful. Complete overkill, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dramatik

Only God can judge them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

My sister in law has about 7 tattoos including a fairly large forearm piece. Hasn't stopped her progressing in her career, currently she's head of an entire continent for one of the world's largest companies. Not quite CEO I guess, probably the tattoos.

Id be interested to know what job the non-tattoed OP has.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭aroundthehouse

My sister in law has about 7 tattoos including a fairly large forearm piece. Hasn't stopped her progressing in her career, currently she's head of an entire continent for one of the world's largest companies. Not quite CEO I guess, probably the tattoos.

Id be interested to know what job the non-tattoed OP has.

i'd say if her superiors knew she had tattoos they would look down on her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

i'd say if her superiors knew she had tattoos they would look down on her
    Unless they have tattoos also (or like most of us, just don't really care), though she likely doesn't have many superiors in that position anyway.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Unless they have tattoos also (or like most of us, just don't really care), though she likely doesn't have many superiors in that position anyway.

I dont know, it would look very bad in a high level exec meeting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

But Lyle Landley's sister in law has them and is a high level exec.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

How many of those have you attended recently?

Shenshen wrote: »
    How many of those have you attended recently?

attended one yesterday as it happens

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

If it was on her face. Or if she works in the 1800's.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

What folk choose to do with their bodies is their concern so I do not look down on them, but I seriously wonder why on earth anyone would want to. It classes as mutilation as it is far from painless ? And there is a connection between it and self harm.

Most of us have pain and to spare.

And the cost..

No way would I ever consider it.

Seriously weird...

Graces7 wrote: »
    What folk choose to do with their bodies is their concern so I do not look down on them, but I seriously wonder why on earth anyone would want to. It classes as mutilation as it is far from painless ? And there is a connection between it and self harm.

Most of us have pain and to spare.

And the cost..

No way would I ever consider it.

Seriously weird...

yes i always thought the same, why would anyone want to destroy themselves like that, if i see someone covered in tattoos i always consider their mental health because it is a form of self harm

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

yes i always thought the same, why would anyone want to destroy themselves like that, if i see someone covered in tattoos i always consider their mental health because it is a form of self harm

I just googled that and the connection is very strongly acknowledged. and imagine having the name of someone you once loved then fell out with branded on you...

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭argentum

I'm in my mid 50'S and finally got a tattoo this year after wanting one for so long.Its only about 2 inches tall ,on my back where it cant be seen and I couldn't give a f**k about what other people think of it.
    I'm also the CEO of a large company that gives a lot of employment so to be honest I couldn't give a f**k if people look down on me and since I cant go any further up the chain in the company the tattoo is unlikely to effect me in work
    If people think that I am a certain social class well I am, I work for a living so I guess I'm working class like loads of other people

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

argentum wrote: »
    I'm in my mid 50'S and finally got a tattoo this year after wanting one for so long.Its only about 2 inches tall ,on my back where it cant be seen and I couldn't give a f**k about what other people think of it.

Cool. Long as it’s not a cheetah or an arrow pointing at your arse cleft

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Graces7 wrote: »
    I just googled that and the connection is very strongly acknowledged. and imagine having the name of someone you once loved then fell out with branded on you...

All those Maori's are mentally ill. I don't think I'm generalising when I say every last one of them is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Don't like them, wouldn't get one but wouldn't judge someone for one except some of the really stupid ones (face, side of neck etc).

They're clearly a fashion thing at the moment, seriously considering investing in a tattoo removal firm soon enough. Beards and tattoos will look incredibly dated in five years time.

Advertisement