Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you look down on people with tattoos?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

Was a big part of the bodybuilding community whilst in Uni and they hated them. Still got nearly two full arm sleeves. When you have enough money you don't have to work anymore at 27 but still do, you tend to not care what people think. Also they're always covered by shirts whilst working or a jacket whilst out and about.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

JayZeus wrote: »
    Can’t stand tattoos. A properly stupid thing to do to yourself. My wife has a very small tattoo of a little bird on her upper back (really very small, but I absolutely hate it and when I spot it I immediately think she’s a muppet for ever getting it done) and wanted to get her hair cut to shoulder length. I told her to do whatever she wants, no worries at all, but she knows she’ll be sleeping on the couch if she cuts her hair short before getting that proxy tattoo removed. No discussion to be had as far as I’m concerned. She’ll pay for the removal herself too. Or she’ll keep her hair down and cover up the evidence of a stupid decision to get graffiti on her lovely skin. I’m mad about her, but that tattoo (and 99.999% of the crappy ones people get and display like idiots) absolutely makes me look down my nose at the tattood fool in front of me. Stupid people.

So how many black eyes has your wife ever had from "walking into things"

Control freak.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Jesus, so glad I'm with a really chill guy who helps with my haircuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Not mad about tattoos myself but each to their own.

I would be lying however if I said it didn't affect how I viewed someone.

Unconsciously, no more than the clothes someone wears, their haircut, jewellery, piercings etc unconsciously or consciously affect your view of someone.

Not saying necessarily good or bad, but people are lying if they say it doesn't affect their perception of someone.

I really don't accept the bolded. You have no right, nor do any of us, to declare with such assumed authority what other people feel.

It affects how you feel about people, it may affect how many, perhaps all, of your acquaintances view people, but that is not remotely evidence that everyone reacts in that way.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    So how many black eyes has your wife ever had from "walking into things"

Control freak.

Because I (and she, as it so happens) think it’s reasonable to expect somebody will maintain where practical the physical attributes that attracted and continue to attract us to each other, natural aging and accidents and the like aside? Cop on to yourself.

If she had 7 toes on her left foot, I’d insist she wear socks and not wear sandals, as I’d find the deformity disgusting to look at. If I had an extra pair of nipples or a vagina instead of a naval, it’d be pretty reasonable for her to insist I wore a shirt, even on the beach. If I later decided to just do it anyway, I’d be doing it knowing that I have every right to do so but It wouldn’t be right and consequences of that bad decision could reasonably follow.

All we’re talking about here is her deliberate defacement of her lovely self being something I find repulsive, and I want her to do as I asked and she agreed. And she does, in all fairness to her.

It’s not controlling to expect an agreement will be kept and I’m certainly not some sort of wifebeater. That’s a bit of a pathetic angle for someone (especially a Mod) to take, AH or not. Go take your smarmy outrage someplace else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

I really don't accept the bolded. You have no right, nor do any of us, to declare with such assumed authority what other people feel.

It affects how you feel about people, it may affect how many, perhaps all, of your acquaintances view people, but that is not remotely evidence that everyone reacts in that way.

Yeah someone's appearance doesn't affect others in any way.

Why everyone wears t-shirts to interviews I suppose.

Ridiculous if you think clothing, accessories, appearance in general has no effect on people's emotions/what judgements they make.

The very reason for clothing/accessorising/body modification is social/emotional.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

It’s not controlling to expect an agreement will be kept and I’m certainly not some sort of wifebeater. That’s a bit of a pathetic angle for someone (especially a Mod) to take, AH or not. Go take your smarmy outrage someplace else.

Sounds quite controlling.
    And I'm only a mod of the forums I moderate.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Sounds quite controlling.
    And I'm only a mod of the forums I moderate.

Sounds controlling to you, but then you only have a tiny snippet to go on, against which you label me a control freak and suggest I’m a wifebeater. ****ty, pathetic move to be fair, Mod or not.

What do people that hate tattoos think of the profession itself? I mean someone has to do them and there's a huge difference in skill in tattoo artists.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,224 ✭✭✭✭Water John

So any of the people on TV with a deformity should cover it up? You consider viewing it, as disgusting. Don't watch the paraolympics, you'll be totally offended.

• Advertisement

LirW wrote: »
    What do people that hate tattoos think of the profession itself? I mean someone has to do them and there's a huge difference in skill in tattoo artists.

It’s not a profession, for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Jesus, so glad I'm with a really chill guy who helps with my haircuts.

I am just so glad to be with a man who respects me and my choices . Some posts here make me really sad . I am so glad my daughters are with men who are partners and supportive of their choices too . Then again they have their father as a role model . I can't even imagine them in a partnership like some here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

If I had an extra pair of nipples or a vagina instead of a naval, it’d be pretty reasonable for her to insist I wore a shirt, even on the beach.

A naval what? Flotilla? So how many destroyers have you? Do you play with them in your bath?

It’s not a profession, for a start.

Actually it is. Reputable artists do an apprenticeship and all sorts of exams, it's not as strict in Ireland as in other countries but I know a guy who's a tattoo artist (went to school with him) and you need to do a proper theory course after 3 years of practical experience for a year involving medicine modules and have a theoretical and practical exam in front of a commission. Then you can call yourself a proper tattoo artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Tattoos are for gurriers and low life's. That's the stereotype and unfortunately it's True. People who take drugs and aren't in white collar professions have Tattoos.

Tattoos and the professional work environment don't go.

They look fine if you work as a mechanic, but not as a lawyer.

Water John wrote: »
    So any of the people on TV with a deformity should cover it up? You consider viewing it, as disgusting. Don't watch the paraolympics, you'll be totally offended.

Don’t be silly now.

I don’t watch the paraplympics and honestly I wouldn’t choose someone with what I would personally see as an ugly or repulsive physical deformity as a partner. Nothing at all wrong with that position.

To make a clear distinction, I don’t look down my nose at people with naturally occuring deformity, whether or not it accompanies a medical condition. That’s just how things are.

I absolutely look down my nose (as such) at people who inflict a deformity on themselves, be it tattoos, piercings or other body modifications.

Turnipman wrote: »
    A naval what? Flotilla? So how many destroyers have you? Do you play with them in your bath?

Autocorrect, be damned.

Actually it is. Reputable artists do an apprenticeship and all sorts of exams, it's not as strict in Ireland as in other countries but I know a guy who's a tattoo artist (went to school with him) and you need to do a proper theory course after 3 years of practical experience for a year involving medicine modules and have a theoretical and practical exam in front of a commission. Then you can call yourself a proper tattoo artist.

It’s going OT now but an apprenticeship as a ‘Tattoo Artist’ does not equate to a profession. He/she may well adopt a very professional approach to being a ‘Tattoo Artist’, but that occupation is not a profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Tattoos are for gurriers and low life's. That's the stereotype and unfortunately it's True. People who take drugs and aren't in white collar professions have Tattoos.

Tattoos and the professional work environment don't go.

They look fine if you work as a mechanic, but not as a lawyer.

:D:D:D what rubbish have I just read.

So by your reckoning, a white collar worket or an executive who is hooked on drugs is alright in your book, but if he or she has a tattoo, then they are a lowlife..
    You need to go back to trolling classes.

It’s going OT now but an apprenticeship as a ‘Tattoo Artist’ does not equate to a profession. He/she may well adopt a very professional approach to being a ‘Tattoo Artist’, but that occupation is not a profession.

I think you got the point, excuse me using the wrong word, English isn't my first language after all.
    I'd still be curious to hear an opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

If she had 7 toes on her left foot, I’d insist she wear socks and not wear sandals, as I’d find the deformity disgusting to look at.

To be honest I find that type of a statement disturbing. But If, and believe me, I am not wishing it upon anyone, she was to develop a facial disfigurement, say due to cancer or something, or, god forbid, you had a child born with a facial disfigurement, would you make them wear a mask?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

How is it not a profession? If it's their occupation and they're getting paid for it, it's a profession

Flyer you've asked my question. Logic is that if his OH had a deforming accident, the marriage is over, for this guy.

I think you got the point, excuse me using the wrong word, English isn't my first language after all.
    I'd still be curious to hear an opinion.

You were correct so please pay no heed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

This thread really has brought the assholes out in force. Who knew that a tattoo would get their little minds all a quiver.

You were correct so please pay no heed

Wrong. There is no such thing as the Tattooing profession. Engineer, Doctor, Lawyer for example, but not drawing pictures on peoples bodies. That is NOT a profession.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    To be honest I find that type of a statement disturbing. But If, and believe me, I am not wishing it upon anyone, she was to develop a facial disfigurement, say due to cancer or something, or, god forbid, you had a child born with a facial disfigurement, would you make them wear a mask?

I wouldn't worry. Doubt this poster acting the hard man on Boards even has a wife at all

K.Flyer wrote: »

Of course not.

If they went and got tattooed on the face, had their tongue parted, stretched their earlobes or whatever, game over for them.

Wrong. There is no such thing as the Tattooing profession. Engineer, Doctor, Lawyer for example, but not drawing pictures on peoples bodies. That is NOT a profession.

A profession is a paid occupation. Someone who "draws pictures on people's bodies" and gets paid for it is a tattoo artist by profession.

• Advertisement

Some might want to consider it a, trade. A sort of profession of the lower classes.

Advertisement