Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tommy Robinson jailed

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

Nah, but some figures to back up your assertion would be nice. Presumably you must know already seeing as you said 'plenty'...

I cant back it up with actual figures, no figures exist. In order for there to be statistics people would have to be asked on the street whether they support him or not, or something to effect.

I can only speak from my experience and from what i have seen, most of my friends would support him (which is almost unbelievable to me as they are all ex shinners/ira sympathisers).

I also see on social media many people from my area are supporters. Now im just one man in one area of Ireland. If you do the math id say i would be right in saying "plenty".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

thebull85 wrote: »
    I cant back it up with actual figures, no figures exist. In order for there to be statistics people would have to be asked on the street whether they support him or not, or something to effect.

I can only speak from my experience and from what i have seen, most of my friends would support him (which is almost unbelievable to me as they are all ex shinners/ira sympathisers).

I also see on social media many people from my area are supporters. Now im just one man in one area of Ireland. If you do the math id say i would be right in saying "plenty".

:pac::pac::pac:

Perhaps they are using it in a perjorative manner, i haven't seen east is east. Do you think that makes it acceptable for you to do so?
    The word doesnt have a non pejorative manner. It is entirely racist in origin. I would be surprised at a pakistani person using it but there are thick people everywhere.

These two statements contradict each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

These two statements contradict each other.

Well not really. The word is entirely racist in origin. or do you deny that?

Well not really. The word is entirely racist in origin. or do you deny that?

The issue here atm isn't the word, it's that you say two contradictory things and then ignore it when called on it. How can it bein your words both use in a "perjorative manner" and "the word doesnt have a non pejorative manner".

How can we take anything you say seriously if you cannot even get your own facts right?

• Advertisement

The issue here atm isn't the word, it's that you say two contradictory things and then ignore it when called on it. How can it bein your words both use in a "perjorative manner" and "the word doesnt have a non pejorative manner".

How can we take anything you say seriously if you cannot even get your own facts right?

Clearly you are incapable of a civil discussion so i'll leave it there.

I know an Arab who gives out about the word Paki in the context of "****in Brits ruining words". :pac:

Clearly you are incapable of a civil discussion so i'll leave it there.

Where have I been uncivil? I'm merely asking how we can take you seriously if you contradict yourself so easily?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

Nigel Farage also had plenty of online fans... Still not an MP, you'll find that you get drawn to people who share the same views as you. Hence the overlap of your Tommy Robinson fan base, the fact that you're behaving so aggressively on here and justifying the usage of racial slurs is pretty telling.

In relation to the term you're annoyed that you're annoyed that you can't use. A Pakistani using it is substantially different to using it. It's more an attempt to reclaim it and flip its meaning, something a non Pakistani can't do tbh. Has happened with other slurs Eg "queer". Tommy Robinson and the other ethnonationalists that you support don't intend to use it in a non offensive way. It's to denigrate and Pakistanis are well aware of the intent.

pitifulgod wrote: »
    Nigel Farage also had plenty of online fans... Still not an MP, you'll find that you get drawn to people who share the same views as you. Hence the overlap of your Tommy Robinson fan base, the fact that you're behaving so aggressively on here and justifying the usage of racial slurs is pretty telling.

In relation to the term you're annoyed that you're annoyed that you can't use. A Pakistani using it is substantially different to using it. It's more an attempt to reclaim it and flip its meaning, something a non Pakistani can't do tbh. Has happened with other slurs Eg "queer". Tommy Robinson and the other ethnonationalists that you support don't intend to use it in a non offensive way. It's to denigrate and Pakistanis are well aware of the intent.

yeah but FREEDOM OF SPEECH!!!

I love how the far right thugs like to see themselves as the victims in all this. the little snowflakes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I love how the far right thugs like to see themselves as the victims in all this. the little snowflakes.

I know. It's pathetic. The whole tough guy standing up for freedom act falls apart pretty quickly when it turns out there are consequences for one's acitons.

https://twitter.com/barfi_culture/status/1005852011726802944

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

I know. It's pathetic. The whole tough guy standing up for freedom act falls apart pretty quickly when it turns out there are consequences for one's acitons.

https://twitter.com/barfi_culture/status/1005852011726802944

Saw that yesterday, or rather heard it, and laughed my head off. Sums them all up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Saw that yesterday, or rather heard it, and laughed my head off. Sums them all up.

That's an obvious member of the master race right there ;)

I wasnt acting aggressively i just dislike people on here name calling from their safe space, and challenged one or two to name call in the real world.

Also them labelling all Tommy Robinson supporters as thickos and racists, if i said all muslims were terrorists they would attack me(rightly so). Its bit hypocritical of them.

Also im not annoyed at not being able to use the word if i wanted to use it i would, im not looking for approval from the resident know alls on here.

I wasnt acting aggressively i just dislike people on here name calling from their safe space, and challenged one or two to name call in the real world.

Also them labelling all Tommy Robinson supporters as thickos and racists, if i said all muslims were terrorists they would attack me(rightly so). Its bit hypocritical of them.

Also im not annoyed at not being able to use the word if i wanted to use it i would, im not looking for approval from the resident know alls on here.

The problem with that is that i have yet to see a tommy supporter who isnt thick but i know plenty of muslims that aren't terrorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

There's a huge amount of variation in the mulsim population. Also terrorism is an action, not a belief. Whereas his supporters are a small number of people who do follow a far narrower belief set.

It's therefore possible to make more accuracy descriptions about his supporters than it is about muslims.

It's still not possible to say all, but you can at least be a bit more accurate.

(that's not making any statement about any group, just pointing out that because of the differences in demographics your comparison is inaccurate.

but i know plenty of muslims that aren't terrorists.

Thats what you think :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Thats what you think :)

You think all Muslims must be held in suspicion?.

Grayson wrote: »
    There's a huge amount of variation in the mulsim population. Also terrorism is an action, not a belief. Whereas his supporters are a small number of people who do follow a far narrower belief set.

It's therefore possible to make more accuracy descriptions about his supporters than it is about muslims.

It's still not possible to say all, but you can at least be a bit more accurate.

(that's not making any statement about any group, just pointing out that because of the differences in demographics your comparison is inaccurate.

Fair enough.. So both the "all muslims are terrorists" and "all tommy supporters are racist" statements are inaccurate.

But is it ok that the racist statement is always made on here about Tommy supporters even though its obviously false?

You think all Muslims must be held in suspicion?.

No of course not.

• Advertisement

you'll find that you get drawn to people who share the same views as you. Hence the overlap of your Tommy Robinson fan base

Im talking about childhood friends here and people from the area i live in that i know but im not friends with.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

FTA69 wrote: »

In one picture you've a gobsh*te doing a Nazi salute and literally a few feet away from him you have a fella wearing a Star of David jumper with an Israel flag... and they're on the same side. You couldn't make it up!

The Muslim comparison doesn't really work. Robinson is categorically a racist and has been a member of numerous groups that are racist. So you can break the categories down to racist, willfully ignorant (that tends to overlap with first heavily) and then finally absolute idiots.

Finally, in relation to the term. You ignore at every time why it's classified as a racial slur. Football hooligans such as Tommy have a long history of shouting it. Sounds like you need the aforementioned safe space given all your rage. :P

Sounds like you need the aforementioned safe space given all your rage. :P

You call that rage LOL, you must live a very sheltered existence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

jooksavage wrote: »
    Taytoland wrote: »
    Read her book on the gunpowder plot and you will learn more about traitor Guy Fawkes wanting to restore the one true faith which he and his buddies wanted to overthrow England.

Yeah, in f***ing 1605. And the equivalents of Yaxley-Lennon were still banging on about it 200 years later when Catholic emancipation was being introduced.
    It's not easy to forget such actions and of course seeing how the Church turned out for the Irish Republic it was a good idea not letting the Catholic Church get a grip on the crown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Read her book on the gunpowder plot and you will learn more about traitor Guy Fawkes wanting to restore the one true faith which he and his buddies wanted to overthrow England.

Genuine martyr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

It's not easy to forget such actions and of course seeing how the Church turned out for the Irish Republic it was a good idea not letting the Catholic Church get a grip on the crown.

Ack nonsense. The U.K. was as religious, if not more so, for most of its history.

You call that rage LOL, you must live a very sheltered existence.

Methinks you're not particularly able to deal with any points...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

So in response to the comparison of the Yaxley-Lennon mob to murderous 19th century anti-Catholic rioters, rather than dispute the comparison, you approve and have chosen to argue that the bigoted ringleaders were actually right...? Huh?

This makes you something of an outlier as far historical opinion on the matter goes. I suspect you'll be similarly off the mark when future historians take stock of historical footnotes like YL. (This is to say nothing of the fact that you had to rummage through 5 centuries to come up with 4 examples of Catholic treachery)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

Ack nonsense. The U.K. was as religious, if not more so, for most of its history.

More so

Her Majesty the Queen is the Supreme Governor of the Church of England. The Queen appoints archbishops, bishops and deans of cathedrals on the advice of the Prime Minister.

https://www.churchofengland.org/about/leadership-and-governance

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement