Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tommy Robinson jailed

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

Grayson wrote: »
    Because you'd have a ripping retort that you can't express over the internet? Or because you'd smack him?

I wouldnt do anything, because i know he wouldnt call me it to my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

thebull85 wrote: »
    Ah you're just a little keyboard warrior, calling people thick over the internet. Im a Tommy Robinson supporter and i tell you one thing you wouldnt call me a thick to me face.

Please tell me this is a parody account.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,286 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

You can back that up can you. I'm no fan of tr but labelling all his supporters thick is really just burying your head in the sand and avoiding the most important issue i.e why do so many people across Europe feel such anger and disconnection from the social and economic future of their Homeland .it's there, and to ignore it is asking for trouble in the long term.

but they are thick. Why else would they be taken in as they have?

dav3 wrote: »
    Please tell me this is a parody account.

i really dont think it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Educationally marginalised sounds better than thick to be honest.

But yeah, if you support Mr Lennnon, you need help.

• Advertisement

people from pakistan would disagree with you. History disagrees with you.

As i said before, pakistanis ive met here and in the UK have referred to themselves as "pakis" actually it was mostly said like "im paki". Id no problem being called a mick or a paddy (also not racist) in England and i think anyone that has a problem with that is an extremly delicate person.

As i said before, pakistanis ive met here and in the UK have referred to themselves as "pakis" actually it was mostly said like "im paki". Id no problem being called a mick or a paddy (also not racist) in England and i think anyone that has a problem with that is an extremly delicate person.

I refer you to my previous answer where i mentioned context. Some black people refer to themselves as n*gger. do you think you can call them by that name?

I refer you to my previous answer where i mentioned context. Some black people refer to themselves as n*gger. do you think you can call them by that name?

Id never call anyone a n*gger, we know the origins of that word. However paki is short for pakistani its a little bit different.

I dont know the origins of the word paki. People will probably say it originated in England in the 50s but id doubt that very much.

Well at least you live up to the stereotype.

Challenge someone to call me a thick to my face, what stereotype am i living up to?

Id never call anyone a n*gger, we know the origins of that word. However paki is short for pakistani its a little bit different.

I dont know the origins of the word paki. People will probably say it originated in England in the 50s but id doubt that very much.

and you would be wrong. As i said history is not on your side. Though it first appeared in the 1960s not the 1950s. It is most definitely a racial slur. But as a tommy supporter you dont want to see that.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6740445.stm

• Advertisement

and you would be wrong. As i said history is not on your side. Though it first appeared in the 1960s not the 1950s. It is most definitely a racial slur. But as a tommy supporter you dont want to see that.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6740445.stm

Good article, i still dont believe it was first used in 1960s England, but i have no way of proving otherwise nor is the article proof of origins of the word.

The word has been used by racists we know this, but to say it was originally coined as a racist term is a bit of a stretch.

Good article, i still dont believe it was first used in 1960s England, but i have no way of proving otherwise nor is the article proof of origins of the word.

The word has been used by racists we know this, but to say it was originally coined as a racist term is a bit of a stretch.

It really isn't. You just dont want to believe that is how it started. The rest of us in the real world know otherwise.

It really isn't. You just dont want to believe that is how it started. The rest of us in the real world know otherwise.

I dont really care enough about it to "not want to believe" im always happy to be corrected or proved wrong in anything i say. Thats the nature of discussion.

What i dont like is yourself and a few other posters who think no matter what you are always right and anyone that disagrees is wrong, or a nazi or a thicko.

Calling all Tommy Robinson supporters thickos is an extremly naive statement to make..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭Odhinn

I'll just drop this here.....
    An Irish market in Missouri in the United States has been racially attacked, with vandalism telling patrons that "immigrants [aren't] welcome".
    The racially motivated attack happened at the site of Browne's Irish Marketplace, listed as Kansas City's oldest business, which has been run for four generations by an Irish immigrant family.
    https://www.buzz.ie/news/irish-market-missouri-attacked-immigrants-not-welcome-288540

Odhinn wrote: »

Racism exists SHOCKER

The family in East is East use it a number of times to refer to other Pakistani people, are they racist?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Taytoland wrote: »
    Read her book on the gunpowder plot and you will learn more about traitor Guy Fawkes wanting to restore the one true faith which he and his buddies wanted to overthrow England.

Yeah, in f***ing 1605. And the equivalents of Yaxley-Lennon were still banging on about it 200 years later when Catholic emancipation was being introduced.

The family in East is East use it a number of times to refer to other Pakistani people, are they racist?

Perhaps they are using it in a perjorative manner, i haven't seen east is east. Do you think that makes it acceptable for you to do so?

When I lived in Rusholme I never heard anyone use that word except drunken white boys falling around the Curry Mile. Most were lucky enough to be ignored. Some were not so lucky. If you're suggesting that the term doesnt have baggage, then you are spectacularly off the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,958 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I grew up in the East Midlands of England in the 70s and 80s and I only ever heard the word paki used as a racist term, so I'd never use it. Horrible word imo then, and worse now since ignorance is no longer an excuse.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement

Perhaps they are using it in a perjorative manner, i haven't seen east is east. Do you think that makes it acceptable for you to do so?

I'm not saying if it is or is not acceptable but just wondering where you stand on Pakistani people using it? Can a non Pakistani person use the word if they are using it in a pejorative (I assume that is the word you meant) manner?

I'm not saying if it is or is not acceptable but just wondering where you stand on Pakistani people using it? Can a non Pakistani person use the word if they are using it in a pejorative (I assume that is the word you meant) manner?

The word doesnt have a non pejorative manner. It is entirely racist in origin. I would be surprised at a pakistani person using it but there are thick people everywhere.

Jesus, the state of these amateur etymologists explaining away racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,066 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Claiming you're not a racist by claiming Polish are.

Welcome to boards

The word doesnt have a non pejorative manner. It is entirely racist in origin. I would be surprised at a pakistani person using it but there are thick people everywhere.

Hang on, you were the one suggesting that they may be using it in a pejorative manner. You may want to get your ducks in order and not start falling over yourself.

I think that paki is an awful term and one that should not be used ever but much like the word ******, I find it interesting when it is used in media by those it belittles.

Hang on, you were the one suggesting that they may be using it in a pejorative manner. You may want to get your ducks in order and not start falling over yourself.

I think that paki is an awful term and one that should not be used ever but much like the word ******, I find it interesting when it is used in media by those it belittles.

I have not seen east is east. What part of "i have not seen it" did you not understand? I made no definitive statements on how they used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Yeah, loyalist nazis waving Irish tricolours.. I dont think so.

As shocking as it may seem to you there are plenty of Irish people who support the likes of Tommy Robinson and they are not nazis.

Have you any stats to back that up or are you just talking through your hoop again?

Have you any stats to back that up or are you just talking through your hoop again?

Would you like me to do a door to door survey for you sir?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Would you like me to do a door to door survey for you sir?

Nah, but some figures to back up your assertion would be nice. Presumably you must know already seeing as you said 'plenty'...

• Advertisement

Nah, but some figures to back up your assertion would be nice. Presumably you must know already seeing as you said 'plenty'...

Yeah I'd like to know as well. Most Irish people are blissfully unaware he even exists and the ones who've discussed him with me tend to lean heavily towards the racist scumbag characterization.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement