Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jastine Valdez found dead. No Ana discussion please. Mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I can't believe how much this tragic murder has affected me, I just can't stop thinking about it.. I didn't know Jastine or her parents.... I don't give donations to strangers but I felt compelled to give to the GFM Fund.

I read an article that said she came to Ireland to try save money so her parents could retire early and return home(no idea if the article was based on fact or speculation) but at least with the Gofundme at such a large amount they can now do that without money worries. Their lives will never be the same and I know they’d have their daughter back in a flash instead of the money but at least it will allow them grieve without financial worries too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I think it struck a chord because it could have been us , or our sister or daughter or girlfriend . Its everyones nightmare and someone is now suffering that horror

No, Iamwhoiam,, it's not that, there's been heaps of murders over the last few years and I've never felt this way, it just feels like a personal tragedy...... I really don't know why.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,865 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Colly, is it because we watched (read) it happen from her abduction to it's unimaginable end ? Over two days?
    Am not saying this cohesively I know , but I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say ? I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod- 4ensic15 do not post here again. Reason trolling.

Also drop the Larry Murphy stuff. Mr.Murphy was found guilty of one crime and served his time. If you want to slander and defame the man go do it on a blog somewhere but don't do it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Colly, is it because we watched (read) it happen from her abduction to it's unimaginable end ? Over two days?
    Am not saying this cohesively I know , but I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say ? I

Yes Mam, I understand what you're saying, you're right that could be the reason, I didn't think of it that way... Yes, following it 'live' had a lot to do with how it would affect some ..... It was kinda like watching a movie and hoping for a different outcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,251 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

sillysocks wrote: »
    I read an article that said she came to Ireland to try save money so her parents could retire early and return home(no idea if the article was based on fact or speculation) but at least with the Gofundme at such a large amount they can now do that without money worries. Their lives will never be the same and I know they’d have their daughter back in a flash instead of the money but at least it will allow them grieve without financial worries too.

The Consul man elaborated a bit more on this in his interview today. He said that Jastine's plan was to get a job as an accountant so that she could give money to her parents. He said though that this would allow them to travel backwards and forwards to the Philippines.

She does sound like she was a very devoted daughter and family was her absolute priority.

No, Iamwhoiam,, it's not that, there's been heaps of murders over the last few years and I've never felt this way, it just feels like a personal tragedy...... I really don't know why.

I'm the same, I've been thinking about Jastine all this week. I think it's the random and brutal nature of what happened to a young innocent that has upset so many people. It just feels so wrong and unfair and makes you want to tear your hair out in frustration. Nothing can undo this wrong and bring her back to her family. Life can be very cruel sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I think it struck a chord because it could have been us , or our sister or daughter or girlfriend . Its everyones nightmare and someone is now suffering that horror

Someone posted earlier in the thread that they were walking in that general vicinity with their child around the same time. Another poster ridiculed her about the chances of the poster being abducted being very slim as Ireland is a safe country.

The way this case has played out I would count that as a near miss given the randomness of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭McCrack

Putinbot wrote: »

Also drop the Larry Murphy stuff. Mr.Murphy was found guilty of one crime and served his time. If you want to slander and defame the man go do it on a blog somewhere but don't do it here.

Mr?

He's no gentleman

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Putinbot wrote:

He served the time he was given but imo he should still be behind bars and never get out for what he did to that girl. It was only by chance that she was saved. He fully intended to kill her. 'Mr' Murphy my arse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

This is probably one of the most ill-thought out warnings I've seen on here. "Mr" Murphy was convicted of kidnapping, repeatedly raping and the attempted murder of a woman and is suspected of committing many more crimes.
    Nothing said on here has defamed him.

A defamation case can be taken in Ireland where a false statement is published about a person which tends to lower the standing of the person in the eyes of right-thinking members of society.
    I think the Boards.ie lawyers can rest easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

HighLine wrote: »
    This is probably one of the most ill-thought out warnings I've seen on here. "Mr" Murphy was convicted of kidnapping, repeatedly raping and the attempted murder of a woman and is suspected of committing of many more crimes.
    Nothing said on here has defamed him.

A defamation case can be taken in Ireland where a false statement is published about a person which tends to lower the standing of the person in the eyes of right-thinking members of society.
    I think Boards.ie's lawyers can rest easy.

I've seen some nonsense posts on this site in my time but this takes the biscuit. Modding has long gone down hill here but wow to this one. Top of the list for me and I check out the conspiracy forums from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Murphy didn’t exactly serve his time either in a lot of people’s views. He was afforded extra remission despite the fact he never once showed remorse and he never completed any rehabilitation courses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Why are you defending that animal?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

Lol... defamation as in referring to a situation where a comment, statement or publication hurts a person's reputation? Larry Murphys reputation shall not be sullied under my watch I tells ye!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I will add my disgust at the mod post too .No one slandered Murphy he ruined his reputation all by himself . Talk about over modding

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Yes Mam, I understand what you're saying, you're right that could be the reason, I didn't think of it that way... Yes, following it 'live' had a lot to do with how it would affect some ..... It was kinda like watching a movie and hoping for a different outcome.

Thats true , we all watched and hoped and wished all would be well and then felt a deep loss when the story broke .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

**** yourself dry

• Site Banned Posts: 218 ✭✭A Pint of Goo

Read an article today from female journalist saying women in Ireland are terrified of crime and men need to do something. Well I, and no man can help someone who is so full of fear and paranoia. My suggestion would turn the internet off since it bombards you with negativity. This is a horrible crime but It's hardly normal in Ireland.

Btw men are far more likely to be attacked and murdered but those cases rarely get the same amount of media coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Read an article today from female journalist saying women in Ireland are terrified of crime and men need to do something. Well I, and no man can help someone who is so full of fear and paranoia. My suggestion would turn the internet off since it bombards you with negativity. This is a horrible crime but It's hardly normal in Ireland.

Btw men are far more likely to be attacked and murdered but those cases rarely get the same amount of media coverage.

Yes I often wonder why the inner city feud got no media coverage. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Yes I often wonder why the inner city feud got no media coverage. :rolleyes:

There's a lad found dead in a field this morning and only the smallest snippet in the news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Putting all the bickering, criminal psycho analysing and other stuff on this thread aside, and even thoughts or reference to her killer and even the circumstances of her death stop for a minute and think about this time last week when so many lives changed for ever, most importantly think of Jastine and her parents and Grandmother who seems to be, to some, just a side character

I saw the scenes in Enniskerry when they played this song and it is utterly heartbreaking.

200812281_Jastine-Valdez-in-the-snow-Taken-from-Jaz-Valdez-Facebook-page-696x503.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Ann22 wrote: »
    He served the time he was given but imo he should still be behind bars and never get out for what he did to that girl. It was only by chance that she was saved. He fully intended to kill her. 'Mr' Murphy my arse.

I don't think he was convicted of attempted murder, 'only' kidnapping, assault and rape, which would be reason he was only given 10 years or whatever. Insane he couldn't be found guilty of attempted murder, that was clearly his intent. One wonders if he 'had form'. A life sentence would have been appropriate.

Probably the reason for him being mentioned in this thread - the disappeared women, some of whom look like they were killed by a serial killer, and the possibility that this person (real or imagined) also being the perpetrator of one of these high-profile cases. One hopes that if there was a serial killer, that Mark Hennessey was the one responsible, though I think it's probably unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

pablo128 wrote: »
    There's a lad found dead in a field this morning and only the smallest snippet in the news.

It's on the front page of the RTE news. The first story after the referendum. Same goes for the Irish Times and Irish Independent sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I don't think he was convicted of attempted murder, 'only' kidnapping, assault and rape, which would be reason he was only given 10 years or whatever. Insane he couldn't be found guilty of attempted murder, that was clearly his intent. One wonders if he 'had form'. A life sentence would have been appropriate.

Probably the reason for him being mentioned in this thread - the disappeared women, some of whom look like they were killed by a serial killer, and the possibility that this person (real or imagined) also being the perpetrator of one of these high-profile cases. One hopes that if there was a serial killer, that Mark Hennessey was the one responsible, though I think it's probably unlikely.

He was convicted of attempting to murder. (amongst the rest of the crimes)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

There but for the grace of God....

We seldom think of the innocent relatives of those who do monstrous things...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/god-help-the-hennessys-please-jastine-valdez-killer-cremated-after-ceremony-1.3510035

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Lovely words from his father. Very touching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Well said Tom. I feel very sorry for the Hennessy family, being left to deal with the horrendous legacy he has left them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭McCrack

Im happy to see the gofundme page appears to be hitting 150k soon

Its not compensation of any kind but its a gesture from people and it will help her family

• Advertisement

Putting all the bickering, criminal psycho analysing and other stuff on this thread aside, and even thoughts or reference to her killer and even the circumstances of her death stop for a minute and think about this time last week when so many lives changed for ever, most importantly think of Jastine and her parents and Grandmother who seems to be, to some, just a side character

I saw the scenes in Enniskerry when they played this song and it is utterly heartbreaking.

200812281_Jastine-Valdez-in-the-snow-Taken-from-Jaz-Valdez-Facebook-page-696x503.jpg

I can't stop thinking about Jastine, such a sweet and innocent girl. I'm gutted for her she had to go through that and gutted for her family.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement