Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&D II Act One Scene I - Heroes for hire

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

"Good quality consumables of course."

"Ahh, free food, the stuff of legends. Oh, the stories I could tell...there was one time when Arnvark of The northern fells raided the picnic of the Fair Belvadin Clubfoot..."

In the guise of rambling out a folktail I place Bardic Inspiration on Sarric in the hopes of giving him advantage in any further negotiating with the councilman.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Fargadras goes back to flicking his dagger around in his hand absentmindedly, and eating some of the fruit on his plate.

The smell of the ale and walrus rump is turning his stomach a bit though so he only nibbles, unlike the savages around him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Hetyaro remains dumb, which is unusual. Her patron has never been shy about making demands before. Retula does not like making decisions for herself. Under the table she makes some gestures with one hand, hiding her mouth behind a feined fruit bite with the other.
    (Ooc hex on our hosts charisma)
    "Shir," she munches - the second bite was real, she's going full method - "shtrikes me thash the reeshun you - gulp - the reason you have to keep sending out 'heroes' to finish tasks the last group failed at is because you're sending them unequipped for the task. While I agree its not prudent to throw money and weapons and 'magic stuff' at a problem, you're running out of time. No God has infinite patience. You need this done fast, you need this done right, you need us. And also the perya." She casts hooded eyes at the bard, " Invest in us. Invest in your city's future.

Or sit back and let vampires fight with foreign God's to pick your bones. It's up to you."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Ook
    Drow are as eloquent and musical in their speech as other elves, and are capable of readily reproducing the sounds of other languages. Most drow are good mimics; a drow overhearing speech who imitates the words and tone is 45% likely (+1% per exposure to the language) to be audibly mistaken for the being they are imitating.

Citation taken from from TSR's The Drow of the Underdark (1991).

I address the idiots with the gold to far out weight their bravery

“Good councils let me allow you to rest ashured that upon the provision of superior weaponry or simply the coin to buy such fare, I will seek out and destroy these Vampyre that are afflicting you and your good and fragrant city.

So if you would with haste provide me with such I shall be on my way to remove the Vampyric metaphorical thorn from your side and insert a more literal wooden bolt into their hearts.”

I turn to my fellow “adventurers”

“Prithee tell me friends, do you plan to accompany me on this adventure ?”

• Advertisement

Banjo wrote: »
    And also the perya." She casts hooded eyes at the bard,
    Mags blushes at the flirtatious advances of Retula. "Gosh gewhillicers."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

The councilman is charmed by Rhiggy's eloquent language and lilting accent.

"I had not known Drow to be capable of such finery in speech and thought. I notice also that you carry no weapons, again the sign of a civilised man who respects the peaceful order."

He leaves his desk and returns with a pouch of gold and hands it to Rhiggy closing his hands over the Drow's.

"100GP noble elf, to spend in the city's markets. I feel you may have a better chance than others I have sent out"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

"I care not for gold sir, but perhaps I could request a number of herbs, roots and fungi in payment.

I may need some for this vampire problem anyways.

I would request some fine clothes, a wagon, spices and 4 guards for us while we head north to solve your first problem, your heathens can come later.

You had four proposals for us, what is the final?"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Fargadras gets to his feet and puts his dagger in his backpack.

'Payment? Already? Gee whiz this is the best job I've ever had! So a little more of that gold stuff to us all and I'll take my leave. I've to see... a man about a horse - yeah, that works... a man about a horse!'

Fargadras smiles innocently at the councilman.

I would request some fine clothes, a wagon, spices and 4 guards for us while we head north to solve your first problem, your heathens can come later.

You had four proposals for us, what is the final?"
    "Four city guards.....if you can convince the men outside this door to accompany you, then they may go.

The fourth issue we face is an odd one, though perhaps not dangerous. A tower has appeared in the jungle to the south with a jewel atop it. Our clairvoyants have forseen it causing great danger, though they cannot say in what form."

• Advertisement

Fourier wrote: »
    "Four city guards.....if you can convince the men outside this door to accompany you, then they may go.

The fourth issue we face is an odd one, though perhaps not dangerous. A tower has appeared in the jungle to the south with a jewel atop it. Our clairvoyants have forseen it causing great danger, though they cannot say in what form."

Fargadras stops.

'Jewel? How big exactly is the jewel? I like jewels.'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Evade

Therai pipes up with a small mouthful of food, "Is there somewhere I can read up on the local gods?"

OldGoat wrote: »
    Mags blushes at the flirtatious advances of Retula. "Gosh gewhillicers."

"No hablas Espanol, rape ape!" She spits, muttering "Perya karne onna" to herself as she carves more fruit.

Banjo wrote: »
    "No hablas Espanol, rape ape!" She spits, muttering "Perya karne onna" to herself as she carves more fruit.
    "Madam, please desist. Your passions are overwhelming but misplaced. I'm saving myself for marriage! Our love is doomed never to be.
    Think kindly of me in the long nights ahead and remember that we will always have Osinzir."

I finalise directions and committee the map tonmemory and getvdirections from the guards to the best weaponary shop around

Evade wrote: »
    Therai pipes up with a small mouthful of food, "Is there somewhere I can read up on the local gods?"
    "The city's main temple 'The House of the nameless and countless' contains the tome of Bakabar, where despite the temple's name they are explicitly delineated and described."

Necrominus wrote: »
    Fargadras stops.

'Jewel? How big exactly is the jewel? I like jewels.'
    "The size of a boulder if reports are to be believed. There legends in the desert villages of a similar tower long ago, but this one simply appeared one morning."

Tigger wrote: »
    I finalise directions and committee the map tonmemory and getvdirections from the guards to the best weaponary shop around
    The guards point Rhiggy in the direction of Albudwin's forge, near the gates to the old city center.

The guards point Rhiggy in the direction of Albudwin's forgery, near the gates to the old city center.

i enter the forgery, although it looks real

Tigger wrote: »
    i enter the forgery, although it looks real
    OOC: Ha! :D

Entering Rhiggy can see a few swords, including scimitars, and crossbows. Though the forge seems to have no maces or similar heavy weaponry. A reflection of Zassan's martial style.

• Advertisement

OOC: Ha! :D

Entering Rhiggy can see a few swords, including scimitars, and crossbows. Though the forge seems to have no maces or similar heavy weaponry. A reflection of Zassan's martial style.

Hail and well met
    I'm looking for a master crafter weapon, something light and of high finess, mayhaps a rapier
    also if you were to have a decently crafted heavy cross bow or hand bow i would be interested
    finally legend tells that the forgeries of Zassan contain projectiles with unusual properties would you have word of such

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

"I think i'll accompany the well spoken fellor that you gave the pouch to, but in order to ensure party morale and stiffle jealousy and jealous acts, I think it only appropiate that I don't leave without a similar pouch. Then just let me know where I can pick up the pouch of bait and i'll be on my way, doing your bidding and such. I supppose you will see me soon enough, after we have completed these tasks of yours."

Albudwin's:
    The owner of the forge looks up.

"We have a mastercrafted rapier for 35GP. Crossbows ain't cheap though. Single handed one is 75GP, though it is not as powerful as the two-handed ones. The light two-handed will set you back 20GP, the heavy one 45GP."
    finally legend tells that the forgeries of Zassan contain projectiles with unusual properties would you have word of such
    "No, I cannot say I have. Perhaps Gazhim, who worked here before me may know. He lives in a village a few miles to the south."

He shows Rhiggy the way by sketching out the area near Zassan.

sKeith wrote: »
    "I think i'll accompany the well spoken fellor that you gave the pouch to, but in order to ensure party morale and stiffle jealousy and jealous acts, I think it only appropiate that I don't leave without a similar pouch. Then just let me know where I can pick up the pouch of bait and i'll be on my way, doing your bidding and such. I supppose you will see me soon enough, after we have completed these tasks of yours."
    "Hmmmmm....fine, though not as much. 40GP."

He hands Sarric another pouch.

"The bait will be loaded onto the horses your compatriot argued for, which will be left at the city's northern main gate."

Albudwin's:
    The owner of the forge looks up.

"We have a mastercrafted rapier for 35GP. Crossbows ain't cheap though. Single handed one is 75GP, though it is not as powerful as the two-handed ones. The light two-handed will set you back 20GP, the heavy one 45GP."

"No, I cannot say I have. Perhaps Gazhim, who worked here before me may know. He lives in a village a few miles to the south."

He shows Rhiggy the way by sketching out the area near Zassan.

ok i'll have the master crafted rapier and a single handed crossbow and i'll leave this elven light crossbow with you so that works out at 90 gp here you go good sir
    i assume you will throw in 20 bolts with the bow ?
    i smile as only a Drow with the blood of 70 years of killing in pitch dark stenching places can smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Evade

"The city's main temple 'The House of the nameless and countless' contains the tome of Bakabar, where despite the temple's name they are explicitly delineated and described."
    Therai heads off to the house of the nameless and countless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

"Hmmmmm....fine, though not as much. 40GP."

He hands Sarric another pouch.

"The bait will be loaded onto the horses your compatriot argued for, which will be left at the city's northern main gate."

Sarric nods and makes his leave, and asks the guards to point him in the direction the other elf took.

Bored of waiting for a response, Retula leaves and tried to find a corner of this cesspool where she can meditate.

I too head out, load up on adventuring gear (namely a longsword and leather armour). I kit out a couple of sacks, a good rope, a grapple, a lantern, flint and some oil. Yadda, yadda, yadda. I spend all my money.

Most importantly, for me anyway, I talk with the armourer and I explain my needs to him.
    "...so yeah, long term what I need is the ability to boil leather, dye it and then tune it to specific pitches. I'm going to start with my cuisse so I can beat a tattoo on them as I walk, then I'm gonna add my pauldrons to the kit. I'm gonna be a walking drumkit.
    Can I buy some leather working tools and a bit of advice on how to use them please. I can practice making my armour while I'm on the road. Any recommended texts?"

Later I head to the inn in search of other bards to swap gossip, songs and local information.*

OOC: I understand that I'm not able to learn to be a armourer in a 10 minute lesson from a shopkeeper but imagine I've been on this quest for most of my bardic life, gleening what information I can from all sources, trial & error, honing and tuning my armor as carefully as I would learn to whittle a flute or tune a lute. I just needed to introduce my bardic focus of playable armour into the storyline.

*If the party are heading straight out I'll go meet them at the gate. If we are waiting till tomorrow I'm going on a pubcrawl to check out the local talent and then meet them in the morning, unless we bump into each other in the inns.

• Advertisement

"The size of a boulder if reports are to be believed. There legends in the desert villages of a similar tower long ago, but this one simply appeared one morning."

Fargadras smiles.

'I'll check out this tower for you, mister. But that gem is mine.'

He sidles up to him.

'Seeing as everyone is getting their share out of you, mister, how's about a decent advance on my salary. An elf like myself has certain... requirements.'

Advertisement